What I have learned from not playing the game for a couple months

decicco

Keep in mind, this is my perspective on things.

The only reason I have logged into the game at all is to make sure I retain GM for my private guild. After that, I lose all motivation to play.

After not actually playing, I have discovered a few things. First, SWTOR is a second job for a player with little reward. There is an extreme amount of grind and replayability just isn't there. I have over a dozen level 70's (therefore, yes, I did replay), but to level them individually is an absolute time, money, and sanity waster. Making gear for them is a joke, the crafting professions are essentially useless with the exception of medkits, stims, and augments if you can afford to make them continually. In addition to gear grinding, just looking at general chat, the amount of frustration at getting masterwork crystals is still just as high as when Ossus came out and, quite frankly, I do not blame any of those players, because to fully gear one character, all others must be sacrificed to the heathen gods, including the actual player itself.

Second, I return to my mailbox to find an egregious amount of spam mail from unpronounceable character names to match the amount of days I haven't played. Truly horrendous. General chat on fleet has continued to be a mix of credit spammers as well as those who wish to throw as many derogatory things into the void as humanly possible.

Now there is one bug that we are all aware of:

Are you alluding the companion range attack bug? I think I mentioned this elsewhere but that is actually a pretty big issue to fix. The team is working on it but it will mostly come in 6.0.

-eric

...really? It's been broken for how long and we're looking at sometime between September and the end of 2019 to fix this?

I hate using this argument, but should there be a situation to use it again, it'll just be an unsub, but I've been around since BETA. The updates that have been pushed out have been lackluster, but there appears to be a continual flow of Cartel Market items that requires real world money to purchase.

Dantooine is the absolute last chance for not just SWTOR with me, but any future Bioware or EA products as well because I'm just done.

If there's no quality in the work, there will be no subscription to support such lack of quality.

Also probably not replying to this thread because I know there are people who just look at threads to tear them apart, so have fun I guess?

Edited by decicco
Grammatical Error

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, you arent alone anymore. we all know. its pretty common knowledge at this point that swtor as a whole is held afloat by fans and/or trade services.

its not content that keeps us here, or dev interactivity.

Edited by Seterade

The only reason I have logged into the game at all is to make sure I retain GM for my private guild. After that, I lose all motivation to play.

Obviously, from this statement, you aren't doing anything for your guild as GM - things like organizing events, helping others, etc, etc.

So, my question would be, if you have no motivation to play, why do you even log on at all? Why maintain the GM status in a guild you don't do anything for? Why don't you just quit altogether? :rolleyes:

(And can I have your stuff? :D )

Edited by JediQuaker

Only reason I sub is to remove the credit cap, and with Legacy Bank being a thing, even that isn't so bad now. All the other little bells and whistles I want I was able to get through CC, including gear authorization.

Just waiting for them to add a one-time CC purchase to remove the credit cap, then I can justify dropping my sub.

Only reason I sub is to remove the credit cap, and with Legacy Bank being a thing, even that isn't so bad now. All the other little bells and whistles I want I was able to get through CC, including gear authorization.

Just waiting for them to add a one-time CC purchase to remove the credit cap, then I can justify dropping my sub.

And this is exactly the reason why they won't remove the credit cap for non subs ever.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Keep in mind, this is my perspective on things.

After not actually playing, I have discovered a few things. First, SWTOR is a second job for a player with little reward. There is an extreme amount of grind and replayability just isn't there. I have over a dozen level 70's (therefore, yes, I did replay), but to level them individually is an absolute time, money, and sanity waster. Making gear for them is a joke, the crafting professions are essentially useless with the exception of medkits, stims, and augments if you can afford to make them continually. In addition to gear grinding, just looking at general chat, the amount of frustration at getting masterwork crystals is still just as high as when Ossus came out and, quite frankly, I do not blame any of those players, because to fully gear one character, all others must be sacrificed to the heathen gods, including the actual player itself.

Second, I return to my mailbox to find an egregious amount of spam mail from unpronounceable character names to match the amount of days I haven't played. Truly horrendous. General chat on fleet has continued to be a mix of credit spammers as well as those who wish to throw as many derogatory things into the void as humanly possible.

Most people have this impression.

For me, one big problem is not being able to play through the end game story as a group. This limits my enjoyment because it went from a group orientated game, to a solo RPG. The only group stuff was pvp and old ops (at the time).

This went on through both 4.0 and 5.0.

This still hasn’t been addressed and makes it seem more tedious and boring.

Pvp was the last bastion of group play for me. But even that’s been heavily effected since 5.0.

* Combining gear with pve and removing pvp gear was a massive mistake IMO.

* It destroyed lowbies and Mids, making lvling in that group play impracticable.

* In destroying lowbie and mid lvling, it created a situation where people are trying to learn pvp in end game and not earlier on. This has systematically destroyed the quality of end game pvp and it’s gotten so bad that hardly anyone knows how to play objectives. Or if they do, they ignore them and just number farm because everyone else around them has no clue.

* Adding insult to injury. Bioware then created a horrendous gear grind that nearly required as much time as fulltime job. That is not how you have fun in pvp. People used to play it for fun and gear wasn’t really an issue because it was fast to get. We didn’t need another incentive to play it. We didn’t need excessive grind to keep us playing it. We were playing it regardless.

* When the gear system changed, dedicated pvpers started to leave in droves. My whole pvp guild up and left and I’m the only one left still playing.

* Not only did they add this grind, they also increased the gear gap between the bottom and top geared players. This meant if you didn’t grind like you had a second job, you were always at a disadvantage.

While this has been fixed in 5.10 and we have a much fairer Bolster system and less gear gap, the grind is still there to get your weapons, which are locked behind playing pve content that many pvpers don’t want to do,

* The current gearing system is now time gated worse than before 5.10. The grind and poor RNG drops make it impossible to gear one Alt in a reasonable time frame by only playing pvp.

This means you are forced to run pve dailies over and over on multiple Alts, which is soooooo borrrrring for a pvp player

* Making us grind gear in pve to play pvp is so nonsensical. It takes players out of pvp to do this and we need more players in the queue, NOT LESS. What makes it worse is most of that pve content is solo and not group (besides the Wbosses). It is so counter productive to queue pops and numbers to have people go play solo content that they find boring. By the time I’ve done the dailies, my allocated play time can nearly be gone and I log out with hardly any pvp played.

* I play this game to mainly pvp. When I can’t do that, I find myself logging in less and less. To the point that I spend more time playing forum pvp than game pvp because I’m so disheartened by the combined situation surrounding pvp.

6.0 really is the last chance for many people. I was at the point of unsubbing before it was announced, if it doesn’t live up to its promise and the situation around pvp continues to get worse, I will be leaving to go play pvp in WoW classic, which is also being released in September. I wonder if Bioware knew that in advance and it’s why they are pushing the September release.

It’s Bioware’s last chance to keep me playing. If I get hooked on WoW again, I doubt I’ll be back, I only play one game at a time and I left WoW 7 years ago to come play swtor.

For me, one big problem is not being able to play through the end game story as a group. This limits my enjoyment because it went from a group orientated game, to a solo RPG. The only group stuff was pvp and old ops (at the time).

Pvp was the last bastion of group play for me. But even that’s been heavily effected since 5.0.

* It destroyed lowbies and Mids, making lvling in that group play impracticable.

* In destroying lowbie and mid lvling, it created a situation where people are trying to learn pvp in end game and not earlier on. This has systematically destroyed the quality of end game pvp and it’s gotten so bad that hardly anyone knows how to play objectives. Or if they do, they ignore them and just number farm because everyone else around them has no clue.

* Adding insult to injury. Bioware then created a horrendous gear grind that nearly required as much time as fulltime job. That is not how you have fun in pvp. People used to play it for fun and gear wasn’t really an issue because it was fast to get. We didn’t need another incentive to play it. We didn’t need excessive grind to keep us playing it. We were playing it regardless.

* When the gear system changed, dedicated pvpers started to leave in droves. My whole pvp guild up and left and I’m the only one left still playing.

* Not only did they add this grind, they also increased the gear gap between the bottom and top geared players. This meant if you didn’t grind like you had a second job, you were always at a disadvantage.

While this has been fixed in 5.10 and we have a much fairer Bolster system and less gear gap, the grind is still there to get your weapons, which are locked behind playing pve content that many pvpers don’t want to do,

* The current gearing system is now time gated worse than before 5.10. The grind and poor RNG drops make it impossible to gear one Alt in a reasonable time frame by only playing pvp.

This means you are forced to run pve dailies over and over on multiple Alts, which is soooooo borrrrring for a pvp player

* Making us grind gear in pve to play pvp is so nonsensical. It takes players out of pvp to do this and we need more players in the queue, NOT LESS. What makes it worse is most of that pve content is solo and not group (besides the Wbosses). It is so counter productive to queue pops and numbers to have people go play solo content that they find boring. By the time I’ve done the dailies, my allocated play time can nearly be gone and I log out with hardly any pvp played.

* I play this game to mainly pvp. When I can’t do that, I find myself logging in less and less. To the point that I spend more time playing forum pvp than game pvp because I’m so disheartened by the combined situation surrounding pvp.

6.0 really is the last chance for many people. I was at the point of unsubbing before it was announced, if it doesn’t live up to its promise and the situation around pvp continues to get worse, I will be leaving to go play pvp in WoW classic, which is also being released in September. I wonder if Bioware knew that in advance and it’s why they are pushing the September release.

It’s Bioware’s last chance to keep me playing. If I get hooked on WoW again, I doubt I’ll be back, I only play one game at a time and I left WoW 7 years ago to come play swtor.

WOW ! This has to be one of the most honest evaluations I've seen. You've done it without a lot of BW bashing (so to speak) .. and have presented a good clean resport without a "wall of text overload".

I personally don't do a l;ot of PvP .. mostly due to my age. I can tell everytime I come up against someone in their 20- 30's. I left that land mark behind a long, long time ago.

The PvE grind for gear and stuff to get gear parts has been a real drag ! I'm hoping that some of this can be "cleared up" and somewhat "streamlined".

Also a lot of PvE players use to enjoy a lot more time with companions. While there have been some small improvements in that area the take aways have largely overshadowed the gains.

Overall I still love the game better than WoW. I also left that game at or about the same time you did and came here. I also left here about the time I ran into some issues with Chapter IX ( think that's right). I kept my subscription going for the most part (I might have missed a month in there somewhere)... And only logged in long enough to up date stuff. I played WoW for about 1-1/2 to 2 years.

Bottom line: You are right. While I don't expect EVERYTHING to show up in one massive update ... I do believe that it is absolutely necessary that BW gets some things right this time. And as much as I love the PvE ... I really do believe that BW needs to work on PvP concerns first. It jsut needs the most work right now !

(all of this is just my opinion)

Can we have your stuff?

Honestly, this is nothing more than self indulging QQ. Not happy? Stop playing. You sound like YoungYea on Anthem, thinking things will happen for yesterday. It's not gonna happen, so... stop and save yourself and us the grievance.

Honestly, a new gearing system was announced and we have to go through these rivers of tears and vain threats. Grow up. What's boring is reading these posts.

Edited by Nemmar

I personally don't do a l;ot of PvP .. mostly due to my age. I can tell everytime I come up against someone in their 20- 30's. I left that land mark behind a long, long time ago.

Babe, I’m closer to 50 than 40 and some of the best pvpers I’ve known in the game have been older than me.

Don’t let age keep you away from pvp.

My wife has only just started to play it and she’s older than me. If she can do it with 225ms lag, anyone can do it.

She’s always been a bit afraid of pvp, but the quality of players is now so bad in pvp, that half the time she seems like a superstar and she’s a pvp newbie.

Just today, I saw her demolish 2 guys at once while I was on my way to back her up. Then the 2 of us held off 5 guys for the rest of the match. She’s come along way in 2 months and she’s only using 230 gear (because yellows just dont drop for her and neither do CXP boosters :()

Babe, I’m closer to 50 than 40 and some of the best pvpers I’ve known in the game have been older than me.

Don’t let age keep you away from pvp.

My wife has only just started to play it and she’s older than me. If she can do it with 225ms lag, anyone can do it.

She’s always been a bit afraid of pvp, but the quality of players is now so bad in pvp, that half the time she seems like a superstar and she’s a pvp newbie.

Just today, I saw her demolish 2 guys at once while I was on my way to back her up. Then the 2 of us held off 5 guys for the rest of the match. She’s come along way in 2 months and she’s only using 230 gear (because yellows just dont drop for her and neither do CXP boosters :()

Ummmm ... hehehe ! I passed that 50 mark up nearly two decades ago !

:eek::eek::eek:

That said ... we're not dead ! Not yet any way ! Still a lot of things I would love to do !

I always think a break freshens things up.... But on the other hand as soon as you get back, you are reminded of what drove you away in the first place.

Trixxie scratched the surface of some of the problems the game is facing at this point. - Her summary is pretty spot-on - without having to write a thesis.

I think a lot of old timers are just hanging on by our fingernails waiting for something stellar to come along, but knowing in our heart-of-hearts that the probability of that happening is next-to-zero.

It'd be nice to have some dev input - admitting their mistakes and telling us what is coming up - ( no spoilers,) with an indication of what is to come. That too has been lacking for years which also doesn't make returning any easier.

It's not like i can find out what it is without reading. :p

Then don’t post and move on to a thread that interests you. No one twisted your arm to continue reading past the OP.

But you are still here posting and you only have yourself to blame if you’re bored with the conversation ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I agree about gear issues. I find it really odd how little gear we can get from PVP (I do not however mind that PVP and PVE gear are the same now, it has made PVP far more accessible to me since I have always been PVE focused, but that has changed due to gear being the same). I tried to do the monumental crystal via ranked, and it was an absolute slugfest. Did it once, never again. Just gonna do HM queen thank you very much.

It sounds like 258 gear does not even drop in nim gods? So outside of MH/OH one can literally get full 258 just from dailies and lots and lots of WB kills? Like wth. You can buy the MH/OH crafting mat too on GTN, not THAT expensive as the curios. I have to agree that gearing is not hard at all, it is more of a chore. There seems to be no achievement feeling at all like OH MY GOD we finally killed the first boss in nim gods, we can start getting a few 258 pieces now. Nah, here have some trash gear (or whatever drops in there lol). It's more like I can buy a left side per week on this toon, and upgrade a right side to 258 on another toon. Meh. Gearing is not fun when literally everyone has easy access to the best that is out there. Buying the best gear lol. Whatever happened to earning your shiz?

It is rare that people don't go for objectives in my experience in wzs. Can happen a fair bit in huttball cause it has so many maps and seems to be what you get like half the time but outside of that it is rare. Sometimes there are sillies who you pass the ball to and they just stand there pewpewing till they blow up cause they have no idea what to do even though the rules are explained at the start, and there is a giant temporary bar above your abilities. Sometimes when you secure an objective everyone runs off with you instead of one suitable person staying behind to guard, only to lose that objective a few secs later cause nobody was there. But I guess that is just regs for you, I don't feel like the skillbase would be better if people could lowbie pvp to be honest, I never bothered with lowbie pvp, so I'm sure there are lots of folks who also do not. Heck I dont even bothering with lvling from 1 any more. Just bought 2 master's datacrons on GTN to jump straight to 70.

So yeah, gearing is a problem. Having just returned to the game a few weeks ago, I feel hugely discouraged to gear all my toons. Ain't nobody got time for that. So I just started feeding gear into one spec of each of the trinity (1 merc healer set, 1 PT dps set, 1 juggy tank set). And I just share the relevant gear with all other classes. Gear is so strong now it seems you dont even need set bonuses for anythinghing outside of probably ranked PVP and nim gods.

Hey folks,

Game Update 5.10.3 is being delayed by one week to Tuesday, June 4th. As we were in the final stages of testing and preparation for launch we discovered a critical bug that we need to take the time to address before going live. For context, the issue is that a large portion of combat animations simply stopped working. Obviously, that's a pretty big deal! We are digging into whether it is a systemic change that caused it or just a bad build/version. Either way we want to take the extra week to ensure that we have time to fully understand why this is happening and get it resolved.

This will cause a few timing changes on our end, which makes this a great chance to share those details with you!

• Since it's brand new, we will run the Pirate Incursion event twice in a row, from June 4th - 11th and June 11th - 18th.
  • Nar Shaddaa Nightlife will be returning from June 18th – July 30th.
  • Double XP will run from June 11th - 18th.
  • We were planning to do our first Onslaught livestream next Thursday, May 30th, where we would discuss Spoils of War! We are still on track for this to happen and so look for that stream next week. We will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks everyone. We never want to delay an update if we can avoid it but certainly the animation issues are not acceptable to go live with and so we are going to take the necessary time to get them resolved.

-eric

Convenient as the next time I am scheduled to be billed is June 3rd.

Considering my mounting frustrations with the game, I will not be playing the 5.10.3 update and cancelling my subscription.

Convenient as the next time I am scheduled to be billed is June 3rd.

Considering my mounting frustrations with the game, I will not be playing the 5.10.3 update and cancelling my subscription.

Oh my. You're right!

BioWare was monitoring your account, and they made sure to put the release date exactly one day after your subscription renewed.

It's a deliberate ploy to keep you here, because your subscription that you're holding ransom is the most important one. :rolleyes:

What's your purpose in writing this? Like, is it just attention? You don't need to announce you're unsubscribing to the game.

The only thing I've learned from my breaks was that breaks are healthy. If the game feels like a grind, then take a step back until you're excited to log in again.

And what happens when you do and nothing has changed and you log out and never come back. That isn’t healthy for the games continued future.

IMO... that is one good reason to have a place to let off some steam.. A little in game R & R if you will. All work and no play ... !!

:eek::eek::eek:

But if we don't get stuff fixed that needs fixed first the in game R & R wont amount to much ... will it ?

;)