SWTOR Deserves A Revival: More Funding, Resources and Manpower

Ylliarus

Today I have started a petition on change.org, directed towards Electronic Arts and Disney, imploring them both to allow Star Wars The Old Republic to be revived. How can this be done? By increasing the game's funding, resources and manpower. I have elaborated on it in the petition, so feel free to check it out here:

https://www.change.org/p/electronic-arts-revive-the-mmorpg-star-wars-the-old-republic-by-increasing-its-funding-and-resources

This game really has the potential to become something big and amazing. Part of this is because it is set in the Star Wars universe and right now, it's the only Star Wars MMO out there. EA's current approach towards the game turns SWTOR into huge wasted potential, because the foundation to rival ESO, Guild Wars 2 or WoW in a serious manner is there, it just needs that extra push of increased funding, resources and manpower.

On top of that, Disney is sitting upon a potential goldmine that they're not even aware of. If they got engaged and collaborated with EA (for example by slowly intergrating SWTOR's content into the official canon lore or let their PR teams work on the MMO's advertising) they would grant the game a lot more attention than it currently gets. There are tons and tons of gamers out there who would want to play a Jedi, a Sith, a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler, but they just don't know this MMO exists. If Disney worked with EA on SWTOR's PR, for example, they could really throw the game into the limelight and make the wider public become aware of its existence.

It's why I hope to not only start a discussion about this, but also to motivate people to sign the petition I linked. Some of you will surely say "they're never going to listen", but if there is no noise at all then they won't ever be able to listen, neither Disney nor EA. At least this way there is a possibility of raising awareness towards this subject, if anything it's at least worth a shot.

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based upon the recent news relating to Star Wars games in production, I'd hasten to say that EA has little interest in investing in Star Wars atm. My guess is that Disney as little interest in EA producing more Star Wars titles given it's recent track record.

This game was set up for failure given the unrealistic expectations placed upon it prior to launch. I doubt there'd be much of an investment at this point regardless of what might have been or could be.

Sure the Old Republic era was great but I feel Disney is making their push towards the future of Star Wars not the past.

That may be, but the Old Republic era is being highly requested to be introduced into the new canon, the Disney canon. It would be useful for Disney to play on that, because it's a huge potential market.

Today I have started a petition on change.org, directed towards Electronic Arts and Disney, imploring them both to allow Star Wars The Old Republic to be revived. How can this be done? By increasing the game's funding, resources and manpower. I have elaborated on it in the petition, so feel free to check it out here:

https://www.change.org/p/electronic-arts-revive-the-mmorpg-star-wars-the-old-republic-by-increasing-its-funding-and-resources

This game really has the potential to become something big and amazing. Part of this is because it is set in the Star Wars universe and right now, it's the only Star Wars MMO out there. EA's current approach towards the game turns SWTOR into huge wasted potential, because the foundation to rival ESO, Guild Wars 2 or WoW in a serious manner is there, it just needs that extra push of increased funding, resources and manpower.

On top of that, Disney is sitting upon a potential goldmine that they're not even aware of. If they got engaged and collaborated with EA (for example by slowly intergrating SWTOR's content into the official canon lore or let their PR teams work on the MMO's advertising) they would grant the game a lot more attention than it currently gets. There are tons and tons of gamers out there who would want to play a Jedi, a Sith, a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler, but they just don't know this MMO exists. If Disney worked with EA on SWTOR's PR, for example, they could really throw the game into the limelight and make the wider public become aware of its existence.

It's why I hope to not only start a discussion about this, but also to motivate people to sign the petition I linked. Some of you will surely say "they're never going to listen", but if there is no noise at all then they won't ever be able to listen, neither Disney nor EA. At least this way there is a possibility of raising awareness towards this subject, if anything it's at least worth a shot.

I give you credit Yll, you really have taken your positive energy for the game to a new and imo admirable level. I won't beat down the idea you present here, I think it's a well-intentioned and deserving request.

I agree the game deserves far more dignity than it's been given. The fans and players deserve better too! Even the devs who work hard on the game yet clearly lack resources to make it as good as it should be deserve to be given a real opportunity to have something to feel proud about making.

I also have said many times in past threads that they are sitting on the most powerful sci-fi IP of all time, to put this game on a back burner is not only mystifying but plain wrong. So much squandered opportunity if they continue the game down this path. They literally are sitting on a gold mine and seem oblivious to this fact.

I will go check the link you provide here in the thread.

EDIT: I signed it. Hey, I recommend you also go to all the servers and broadcast on fleet, etc. Try to get the word out to sign it for maximum exposure. :)

Use Facebook or w/e social network platforms you have available too. I don't use social networks, but clearly that's the route to take to reach as many people possible. You probably already understand this. :D

Edited by Lhancelot

I appreciate the effort, and I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I don't think a change.org petition will change anything especially our current predicament in regards to the tight budget this game receives. However if we were to do a social media campaign to bring awareness to the issue, perhaps even bringing an influx of new players (Giving Keith the excuse he needs for an increase in the budget) I'd be all for it. I'm singing it but I won't hold my breath if EA doesn't listen to us, again.

I give you credit Yll, you really have taken your positive energy for the game to a new and imo admirable level. I won't beat down the idea you present here, I think it's a well-intentioned and deserving request.

I agree the game deserves far more dignity than it's been given. The fans and players deserve better too! Even the devs who work hard on the game yet clearly lack resources to make it as good as it should be deserve to be given a real opportunity to have something to feel proud about making.

I also have said many times in past threads that they are sitting on the most powerful sci-fi IP of all time, to put this game on a back burner is not only mystifying but plain wrong. So much squandered opportunity if they continue the game down this path. They literally are sitting on a gold mine and seem oblivious to this fact.

I will go check the link you provide here in the thread.

EDIT: I signed it. Hey, I recommend you also go to all the servers and broadcast on fleet, etc. Try to get the word out to sign it for maximum exposure. :)

Use Facebook or w/e social network platforms you have available too. I don't use social networks, but clearly that's the route to take to reach as many people possible. You probably already understand this. :D

I know we don't always agree and that we have clashed at times verbally, but I appreciate this a lot, especially your reaction to it :) I know it may be naive, but still, it's something!

I've already tried to reach out to SWTOR content creators but haven't received much of a reply yet. One of them sadly declined to help getting this out and about. I've also made a post on Reddit, but so far I've been most successful in the Discord servers I am in.

Anyone should feel free to spread this around as much as they can and wherever they can. Even if you don't believe it will work or doubts how effective it will be, spread it around! The more people sign it, the more noise it will create, I hope. And noise has to be heard sooner or later :)

While I love the idea of this as crowd funding/petitions have made games into some great things. 100 signatures will not wake up EA and make them want to develop more on this game. You have to set your horizons a bit higher otherwise this petition will get lost in the dust.

While I love the idea of this as crowd funding/petitions have made games into some great things. 100 signatures will not wake up EA and make them want to develop more on this game. You have to set your horizons a bit higher otherwise this petition will get lost in the dust.

Yea, you'd want to atleast set it to 50,000-100,000. I commend you though, I'd love to see a revival of the game and some of the old unfinished content, finished

Oh the 100 signatures goal is automatically generated by change.org instead of me :p I bet that if 100 is reached it will say "let's get to 200". Baby steps, but still steps.

Yea, you'd want to atleast set it to 50,000-100,000. I commend you though, I'd love to see a revival of the game and some of the old unfinished content, finished

I absolutely agree, for it to make noise it will need a lot of signatures. Only then will it generate enough noise for anyone higher up to notice it. After all, the higher you sit the more difficult it becomes to hear the rest of us :p

But the potential for a great revival is absolutely there, the only things that's needed is EA, Disney or both of them to step in and increase the amount of funding, resources and manpower!

Edited by Ylliarus

Anyone should feel free to spread this around as much as they can and wherever they can. Even if you don't believe it will work or doubts how effective it will be, spread it around!

This is the important point. I think it's fair to say none of us have much hope in EA doing anything to help this game, but it hurts nothing to sign the petition and if anything it will show how many people actually do care.

People love to say the forums are a "vocal minority" and like to try to minimalize the voices of those who post here, if anything this petition could actually show a true indication of how many people do care for the game and want it to be given a chance to improve.

I am curious how many people will sign it. Sure would be funny if in the end it ends up with hundreds of thousands of votes. :p

This is the important point. I think it's fair to say none of us have much hope in EA doing anything to help this game, but it hurts nothing to sign the petition and if anything it will show how many people actually do care.

People love to say the forums are a "vocal minority" and like to try to minimalize the voices of those who post here, if anything this petition could actually show a true indication of how many people do care for the game and want it to be given a chance to improve.

I am curious how many people will sign it. Sure would be funny if in the end it ends up with hundreds of thousands of votes. :p

All it takes is a few seconds to sign it :) there is nothing lost in any case, but there can potentially be gained something. It's not a guarantee of course, but the opposite isn't a guarantee either.

It's my hope it will gather as many signatures as possible! So please, feel free to spread it around as much as you can and wherever you can! It will cost you (in a general sense) nothing, except a few seconds :)

I appreciate the effort, and I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I don't think a change.org petition will change anything especially our current predicament in regards to the tight budget this game receives. However if we were to do a social media campaign to bring awareness to the issue, perhaps even bringing an influx of new players (Giving Keith the excuse he needs for an increase in the budget) I'd be all for it. I'm singing it but I won't hold my breath if EA doesn't listen to us, again.

Well, honestly one can lead to the other. If the petition grabs people's attention then we can also subsequently bring awareness through social media. It's why I keep repeating that I urge everyone who wants to, to share the petition everywhere they can. The more people know about it and sign it, the louder it can speak and thus the easier it will be to grab people's attention and raise awareness around the issue of SWTOR's current lack of funding, resources and manpower :)

Out of curiosity, why is that?

Because they collect all your data and share it. You should read their terms and conditions as well as their privacy agreement.

Then when you sign, which I just did, they bombard you to sign more petitions in your area. They ask you for money and they want you to link your social media accounts.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Ie Facebook?

I can completely understand why someone wouldn’t want to sign. I know I wouldn’t have if I’d read the terms and conditions first (my bad) or realised all the crap they were going to bombard me with.