My lack of knowledge with stun breaking and resolve

hijata

So the answer to this question will be obvious too many, but id like it explained to me like im 10

Im pvping on my assassin, guarding the jungle turret in the yavin warzone. All my cooldowns are ready and a jugg comes up to me and we began fighting. He stuns me once and i broke it with my unbreakable will ability, then he stuns me again, and it lasts for only like two seconds, he gets mad because hes losing the fight and cant cap the turret, and accuses me of cheating/hacking and his teams goes on to lose the warzone, no doubt ruining his evening. I know it probably has something to do with the resolve bar but ive read a few guides online and im still confused, any info would be great, thanks!!

short story, he's madcuzbad

now here is the "im 10" explanation of resolve bar.

1) soft stuns (whirlwind/lowslah) build less resolve than hard stuns. this is most noticable on powertech. a whirlwind is 8 seconds but doesnt max out resolve. however if a pt takes the 5 sec hrdstun utility, his "5" sec hrdstn will max the resolve.

2) 1 4 sec hardstun is about how much an 8 sec soft stun builds.

part 2, white bar

1) if you are whitebarred, you cannot be rooted, you can only be slowed.

2) how long it takes for your whitebar to go away depends on how much resolve created it. so, you are either 4 sec hrdstund or 8 sec soft stunned, you now have 80% whitebar. if the next stun is a 25% bar low slash, you will lose your whitebar faster than if you got chain stund by 2 hrds or 2 soft8s.

and finally 3) the obvious, while whitebarred you gain full immunity to stuns (this is a powerful state, do not squander it)

last but not least, because bioware is gud at pvp development, enet on merc and mandos con only be broken by stun break, hinder all movement increasers, (cept a few select ones) all leap, and damage you over time (increasingly if you choose to move) but... does not affect resolve bar. cuz bioware.

I recommend reading the pinned guide made by Ne’laa where you can find info about resolve.

What I guess happened in the described situation was that he used hard stun 1st which you broke then used fear or whatever the aoe mezz is called and it got broke by him or his dots.

There is also a vid on YouTube explaining how stubs affect resolve with exact times and everything so you can also search that out, it takes too long to write all that here.

Edit: oh well it’s oretty much explained in post above ^

Edited by MackPol

.... however if a pt takes the 5 sec hrdstun utility, his "5" sec hrdstn will max the resolve.

Wait what? Did bioware change this (which is entirely possible)... or I'm misunderstanding what you meant here (which is entirely possible)... or I just had this wrong the whole time (which is... well, you get it :D ).

But are you actually saying that, starting from ZERO, a single 5 second hard stun from a PT will max resolve? I didn't think there was ANY single stun/root/slow/mezz/anything that would max resolve?

[Edit: Well, color me stupid. I just rewatched Krea's video that I linked above, and like he says right at the start - hard stuns are 200 resolve per second. So I guess 5 seconds * 200 = 1000. I never knew this. Thanks for the education! ]

Edited by Banderal

Wait what? Did bioware change this (which is entirely possible)... or I'm misunderstanding what you meant here (which is entirely possible)... or I just had this wrong the whole time (which is... well, you get it :D ).

But are you actually saying that, starting from ZERO, a single 5 second hard stun from a PT will max resolve? I didn't think there was ANY single stun/root/slow/mezz/anything that would max resolve?

I think he meant it will give the same amount built as a 8 second stun, so it builds the "max" you can build which is like 700 resolve or whatever. I forget the actual number,

yes, a 5 sec hrstun is full resolve.

for every hrdstun second a stun contains it counts as 2 soft stun seconds. so if 4 soft stun lowslash is 25%, so is a 1 sec hrd stun. if an 8 sec soft stun is the same as a 4 sec hrdstun, (80% resolve) then you add one 1 hrd stun second (25% 2 sec low slash) you get instant full resolve.

Edited by Seterade

I think he meant it will give the same amount built as a 8 second stun, so it builds the "max" you can build which is like 700 resolve or whatever. I forget the actual number,

Hmm. Now I don't know. You can see from my edit... Krea's vid says the stun bar is out of 1000. And a hard stun does 200/second. So that *would* have a full resolve for a 5 second stun. If everything is as stated.

Oh well, all I know for sure is that in any practical situation, all resolve is really good for is watching it count back down from white barred while I'm in spawn after dying. :p (Actually, I was recently playing another game for a bit (a certain BIG mmo with a 3 letter acronym) that doesn't have resolve, and I have to say... resolve is kinda nice.)

I appreciate the replies guys, in case anyone was wondering my what my actual question was, since i didnt actually ask one technically lol,it was how did i break that second stun but you guys seemed to understand and gave some great advice, thanks!! This will help next time im accused of having two stun breakers on my sin. Edited by hijata

a jugg only has 3 stuns unless hes a tank. choke has to be broken, same with backhand (tnk only) the scream is an aoe cc, so you cant take dmg or it breaks, and force psh which only lasts 2 seconds.

if you used shroud during one of his stuns his stun didnt work, and like mackpol said, if you were dotted or he broke his own cc, madcuzbad

also, dont know what ultitys your taking, but a sins deflection can resist stuns for the first 6 seconds if you spec into it

Edited by Seterade

Hmm. Now I don't know. You can see from my edit... Krea's vid says the stun bar is out of 1000. And a hard stun does 200/second. So that *would* have a full resolve for a 5 second stun. If everything is as stated.

Oh well, all I know for sure is that in any practical situation, all resolve is really good for is watching it count back down from white barred while I'm in spawn after dying. :p (Actually, I was recently playing another game for a bit (a certain BIG mmo with a 3 letter acronym) that doesn't have resolve, and I have to say... resolve is kinda nice.)

I definitely prefer the resolve mechanic over diminishing returns.