Romance/companions and LGBTQ+ 🌈

Eshvara

What do you feel like the LGBT+ community really needs in terms of romance in swtor?

For me at least as a Bisexual female, I'd like there to be a more feminine F/F romance, but generally F/F is just way too underrepresented. I think in the podcast they mentioned a Droid romance? ;/

I find it kind of blah to think that that is their next priority rather than SGR.

I know they added Nadia and Jaesa and I'm sure we also know what the problem is with those characters.

Β 

Thoughts?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need any romances for awhile. All it's doing is causing arguments over 'X' being shown more than 'Y'. I would rather they focus on a story with characters who have no romantic interest in our characters.

Β 

Are we sure the droid romance is going to be a real thing?

Β 

I don't know, but then Khem'Val was a thing too... I know he has "no voice", and before a kissing scene he'll probably say "I'm on follow" :D

I know romances result in problems, but I wouldn't say that they are the cause. I wouldn't really be asking for romances if a certain group wasn't so underrepresented though. Not that other content isn't important.

Edited by Eshvara

I don't think we need any romances for awhile. All it's doing is causing arguments over 'X' being shown more than 'Y'. I would rather they focus on a story with characters who have no romantic interest in our characters.

Β 

I agree!

Β 

It's gotten to the point where romance drives the stories more than the story does. Why did Theron or Lana need to be romanceable at all? Why can't we just have a working relationship with our companions, and stories, and skip all the sexual stuff?

I agree!

Β 

It's gotten to the point where romance drives the stories more than the story does. Why did Theron or Lana need to be romanceable at all? Why can't we just have a working relationship with our companions, and stories, and skip all the sexual stuff?

Β 

But most of the companions don't contain romance at all, going by the vanilla ones anyway. I get that we all have different things we are interested in which is totally okay! But without Theron and Lana there would basically be no LGBT LI at all. Is that something you find "fair" ? I don't really like either of them so for me it's basically nada.

But they are there, so.

I do understand that not everyone is interested in romance, but this is still a Bioware game! I't's a huge part of their selling point.

Edited by Eshvara

Like I just recently posted a thread about, I would like to see more same-gender romances for original companions with their original class-characters. Now as you said they gave two of those as f/f. Personally I would like m/m.

Β 

Generally I think there has been very good options post-vanilla, from what I've noticed, but original class companions fall behind.

Edited by Neulwen

Β 

Β 

Seconded.

The SWTOR forums are getting more romance threads than Renpy dating-sim-game forums at this point.

It is getting a bit ridiculous.

Edited by Kiesu

Fun to a point sure. When they become the focus of the community and creates division I can do without them altogether.

Β 

I understand. But if the demand for it is so high, and I mean that in a general sense, doesn't that say something?

I get that you don't really doesn't interest you personally and maybe some get over invested in it, maybe even me, or at least at a point. Though I don't think we should all stop asking for what we want when the request isn't really all that unreasonable. This game lacks a lot and people request a lot. They aren't always going to be the thing you're (speaking in general) interested in. But that doesn't mean people should stop speaking up.

Again, without being unreasonable.

Β 

But then again, maybe in the eyes of another, I'm extremely unreasonable for asking for yet another option. hah.

Seconded.

The SWTOR forums are getting more romance threads that Renpy dating-sim-game forums at this point.

It is getting a bit ridiculous.

Β 

Do you feel like you'd find it a bit ridiculous too if the forum threads were mainly asking about PvE or PvP? And I'm not saying that to be "sassy" but it's an honest question. Generally it only seems to be okay that suggestions or questions are made that said individual agrees with. Otherwise you get ridiculed.

Β 

I've seen it happen for PvP as well. How nobody cares, we don't need more PvP content and everyone quits when they introduce it. Which is just silly.

Β 

I want content for other people too, the game requires it and if it's not unreasonable, in my opinion, I support it.

But I'm not going to stop making threads about what I think is needed because others may find it annoying.

Edited by Eshvara

And you could argue, when is it going to be enough? I

Β 

it has been enough ever since SOR...

so while i was married to kira i could flirt with theron and lana and kira didnt even care.... come on those romances are ****ed up alltogether.. and devs now should really care more about actual gameplay than romances.

half the game is broken atm but they care about companions..... at one point some people (like me) get mad....

Β 

i dont say you may not ask for more romances... but this now is not the time for stuff like this.. the game suffers from waaaaay greater problems.

Β 

and with the apache meme i wanted to express that i think that the droid really isnt a droid but a ortholan who chose to be a droid as he fells like one ;)

Edited by Opiklo

it has been enough ever since SOR...

so while i was married to kira i could flirt with theron and lana and kira didnt even care.... come on those romances are ****ed up alltogether.. and devs now should really care more about actual gameplay than romances.

half the game is broken atm but they care about companions..... at one point some people (like me) get mad....

Β 

i dont say you may not ask for more romances... but this now is not the time for stuff like this.. the game suffers from waaaaay greater problems.

Β 

and with the apache meme i wanted to express that i think that the droid really isnt a droid but a ortholan who chose to be a droid as he fells like one ;)

Β 

I think it's great that you have things you find important and feel like needs to have a priority. I'm not asking to be put first though. But I also don't think that if I were to make this thread in 2 years nobody would be saying the exact same thing you're saying now.

Β 

Β 

That would be a good way to get those whp very much like romance content to quit the game. Because we need to bleed out even more players.

Β 

What we need to do is focus on the existing LIs in the game, not add new ones.

Β 

No problem with them including f/f m/m to existing romance comps and giving those comps more content for both their current m/f players and newly acquired romances tho

That would be a good way to get those whp very much like romance content to quit the game. Because we need to bleed out even more players.

Β 

What we need to do is focus on the existing LIs in the game, not add new ones.

Β 

No problem with them including f/f m/m to existing romance comps and giving those comps more content for both their current m/f players and newly acquired romances tho

Β 

I don't disagree on working on current LI but when they add SGR to companions blocked by anyone who isn't a specific class, it's kind of almost pointless.

Considering how the romance characters have been treated, well at least 90^ of them I have to agree that we really don't need anymore until they learn to stop killing or bricking the ones we have. Until then I don't think we need any new ones.

Β 

Even doc and Jaesa will be bricked due to the fact that Doc has a response you can ask him to leave so therefore those that romanced him have no more romance options with him anymore.

Β 

Jaesa has 3 choices (according to a video I saw), kill, imprison or continue the romance and therefore she is going to be bricked for those that chose continue the romance.

Edited by casirabit

Well, Eshvara, I'm going to shock you by agreeing with you. :D As to those arguing with this thread, a lot of players like the romances (otherwise we wouldn't have so many threads on them), and if people are fighting about them in the forum, so what. It's not like we all need to get along, and we're all different so we never will, at least not all the time. People don't have to participate in the debates if they don't want to. And, you know, people will always find something to fight about in any thread. Pretty much every example on here is full of raging debate about the most innocuous of subjects. That's just the way it goes when people are passionate about something.

Β 

If someone isn't into the romances, fine. That doesn't make them unimportant to others, nor should it.

Β 

I also agree that it's a shame Nadia and Jaesa are class specific. I'd like to see LIs that work for everyone, that don't get bricked off, and that get reasonable attention in the next expansion.

Edited by sauceemynx

Well, Eshvara, I'm going to shock you by agreeing with you. :D As to those arguing with this thread, a lot of players like the romances (otherwise we wouldn't have so many threads on them), and if people are fighting about them in the forum, so what. It's not like we all need to get along, and we're all different so we never will, at least not all the time. People don't have to participate in the debates if they don't want to. And, you know, people will always find something to fight about in any thread. Pretty much every example on here is full of raging debate about the most innocuous of subjects. That's just the way it goes when people are passionate about something.

Β 

If someone isn't into the romances, fine. That doesn't make them unimportant to others, nor should it.

Β 

I also agree that it's a shame Nadia and Jaesa are class specific. I'd like to see LIs that work for everyone, that don't get bricked off, and that get reasonable attention in the next expansion.

Β 

I think it's awesome seeing people disagree and it's great when they agree. It's what the forums are for. I do really see when people say that other things are more important and need attention, that's totally fine! I don't want to fight anyone or belittle people for liking PvE over romances.

So yeah, is this the biggest priority for the game or the most important one? Probably not. Does it mean nothing should be said? I don't think so. Yet I feel that seems to be the consensus of some of the posters in here.

But I respect their right to their opinion, and by all means keep disagreeing.

I think it's awesome seeing people disagree and it's great when they agree. It's what the forums are for. I do really see when people say that other things are more important and need attention, that's totally fine! I don't want to fight anyone or belittle people for liking PvE over romances.

So yeah, is this the biggest priority for the game or the most important one? Probably not. Does it mean nothing should be said? I don't think so. Yet I feel that seems to be the consensus of some of the posters in here.

But I respect their right to their opinion, and by all means keep disagreeing.

Β 

Agree with all of the above; I directed my comments about people disagreeing to those criticizing the thread, certainly not you. I think you've said everything in a perfectly reasonable way. This subject deserves attention, too--it really would drive a lot of people from the game if the romances dried up, whether or not some people think that's stupid.

I'd really prefer if they focused on the existing romances tbh. As I'm not one to have my characters flit from one LI to another and most of my characters were made before SoR and a large number of them are with their vanilla romance which means a large number of them will not see any kind of content with their LI ever again - not even a letter that doesn't require voice acting (given the current lack thereof with 5.10).