The constant mentioning of Autism in PVP

EmanoWanga

I mean this is really starting to be too much! I will go and admit that my son is Autistic and life is very hard with him. We love him, do all we can and have our routines and methods to make life possible even with his condition.

I play the game for fun, to get away from the daily issues I have and forget about the worries. What I get in PVP however is only people calling others autistic! It is incredible how people have no idea what it really is like. I mean sure the PVPers now are spoiled kids, brats that have no respect and really no idea of real life, but this cannot be tolerated. What happened to some kind of moderation? What these people say insults me even more than they can possibly imagine. They call everyone autistic, just like that, without the blink of an eye, without any second thoughts! A few times even I was called that by a few players and even kept whispering me about it, it was simply unbelievable.

They have no clue how it is to live with such a person all day and everyday, a person that does not laugh, show feelings, react to your words, doesn't express love to you, doesn't talk and makes only repetitive sounds (no words). Yes there are levels of autism and its a very broad diagnosis, but none of these cases are meant to be made fun off!

I do not want to be calling names or anything, however I do have to mention its mostly the german PVPers, they are practically the majority on DM server now anyway. With writing this I do not believe they will change their behavior, have a change of heart, I just want to bring the attention to this, cause it is really getting out of hand. Maybe it was like that before, I am not sure, but the amount of these insults I keep on seeing is incredible and should be controlled. I see people call others trash, noob, maybe moron, OK, happens people mess up, are new what ever, but this.... this is just too much and I really hope this will be controlled more in the future.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very sorry about your son, but unfortunately things will never change around here, since this game does not have online moderators.

As a person diagnosed with Asperger syndrome ( a less severe form of Autism) , i know how insulting it is to be called names, especially if you are not to be blamed for your condition.

You can try to ignore the offenders by blocking their entire legacies name by name or address their guild leaders. Meanwhile, stay strong .

I am in a similar situation as the OP and yes, this is really becoming quite evident. I really do not get why they picked such a an comparison when talking down other people, but this is again the general problem of the game population being kids. Seems the adult gamers mostly left. I am surprised there cause I always considered a game with monthly subscription to be a thing for people above the age of 24 and not for 15-16 year olds. I mean these kids need the money and I suppose they get the money only from their parents and to pay sub they need the means like paypal or bank account. Unless they buy physical time cards in a store somewhere.

So yes, OP i know what you mean, just report the people and lets hope for some moderation. The worst thing is when you ask them to stop cause you have something like that in your family and that only encourages them to continue!

Well at least this thread has direct attention of the forum moderator :) so people should be careful what they write here. But yes, to the topic, I see that the people use that wording quite often and some do even go as far as discussing and explaining it.

Like they say that if you are bad, low geared etc and keep on quing that you must be "that" since you do not seem to care about the outcome of the warzones and just keep on quing again and again. Maybe this gives them the impression, but still that does, by far, not authorize them to judge you or anyone like that. I mean Autism is a diagnosis, that means that we would have to have expert psychologist playing this game if they are able to judge that by player behavior.

Autism, Aids, Cancer, not to mention the usual racist/sexist/gay/anti-semitic slurs, all get tossed about commonly as insults.

Sometimes I'll call people out on their nonsense, just so it doesn't look like everyone thinks those terms are acceptable, but you have to be prepared to be targetted by the trolls as soon as you say anything negative about their casual use of slurs.

There are plenty of ways to insult people without insulting an entire group of people at the same time; or using medical terminology as an insult.

I don't want to be called a jerk or a twit anymore than anyone, but it's a lot less offensive, potentially the truth, and far more acceptable, then calling someone autistic.

It's juvenile, annoying, and unfortunately treated as normal on the internet.

Autism, Aids, Cancer, not to mention the usual racist/sexist/gay/anti-semitic slurs, all get tossed about commonly as insults.

It's juvenile, annoying, and unfortunately treated as normal on the internet.

Don’t forget the big R word when referring to destroying other players. That’s by far the most offensive to me.

But everyone has there own thing that is highly offensive.

Really, people should just have some common decency and realise they are saying hurtful and offensive things and rein in their behaviour.

Sadly, people hide behind internet anonymity and they think they can say what ever they want. It shows what sort of person they really are deep down below their RL persona.

I mean sure the PVPers now are spoiled kids, brats that have no respect and really no idea of real life,

I see people call others trash, noob, maybe moron, OK, happens people mess up, are new what ever

I sympathize with your issue and agree that its unacceptable. But honestly, these statements seem to me like you are ok with trash talking, insulting, and bullying, as long as the insult used isnt the one that is personal to you.

I sympathize with your issue and agree that its unacceptable. But honestly, these statements seem to me like you are ok with trash talking, insulting, and bullying, as long as the insult used isnt the one that is personal to you.

What I meant is that we are human after all, we get carried away, I do too. Its PVP, its against people, not NPCs so people do get triggered and I think its normal that they are angry, there are very few that can control their temper. So yes, small signs of anger are ok, but for sure not trash talking. The main thing here is the follow up, I also found myself calling a person a noob, but then I went on telling him what went wrong and how it could be bette etc.

When people start with autism the following statements are even worse!

As I see it, even in real life you do get angry and call people idiots, morons etc, but you dont really mean that and its mostly followed by clarification etc. This is an vitual game, it does not exist, but the people playing it are and for me its disturbing how those people act and behave. Do they go around the real world calling people autists? I do not think so, they wouldn't dare, its only in the security of the internet anonymity where they dare such things cause they think they are untouchable. However, its really disturbing how "bad" the people are in the internet environment simply hiding behind the keyboard.

The only winning move is not to play.

I went into detail about this elsewhere, but this is the biggest reason why I'm walking away from SWTOR and MMOs in general. The loss of social inhibitions due to internet anonymity has become an increasingly pervasive problem over the last decade or so, and game studios are no longer willing to spend the money for in-game moderation - it cuts too deeply into their profit margin. In SWTOR, it has become much more pronounced as the player population has dwindled. And the Ignore feature has been an insufficient tool to combat this problem. I can't Ignore someone Legacy wide, and Ignore is a reactive tool, not a proactive one. The example I often cite is having to disable General chat on all my toons so that when my daughter would sit on my lap to watch me play, she wouldn't be reading all sorts of toxicity from people joking about r-aping women and other sociopathic topics. It's fairly out of control when you have to start amputating parts of the game that have become gangrenous.

And of course you're right that 99% of these players wouldn't have the balls (stupidity) to say these things to someone's face out in the real world where there would likely be some very real consequences for them.

Edited by Mournblood

I went into detail about this elsewhere, but this is the biggest reason why I'm walking away from SWTOR and MMOs in general. The loss of social inhibitions due to internet anonymity has become an increasingly pervasive problem over the last decade or so, and game studios are no longer willing to spend the money for in-game moderation - it cuts too deeply into their profit margin. In SWTOR, it has become much more pronounced as the player population has dwindled. And the Ignore feature has been an insufficient tool to combat this problem. I can't Ignore someone Legacy wide, and Ignore is a reactive tool, not a proactive one. The example I often cite is having to disable General chat on all my toons so that when my daughter would sit on my lap to watch me play, she wouldn't be reading all sorts of toxicity from people joking about r-aping women and other sociopathic topics. It's fairly out of control when you have to start amputating parts of the game that have become gangrenous.

And of course you're right that 99% of these players wouldn't have the balls (stupidity) to say these things to someone's face out in the real world where there would likely be some very real consequences for them.

I too have my gen chat in a seperate tab on the end. I only bother looking at it if I’m bored or need something.

I also have a tab specifically set up for pvp and combat dmg. The first default is set to system feed back and it’s very peaceful.

I agree with you that there should be proactive ways to combat this problem. But Bioware have never really given the issue any serious thought. It’s window dressing at best so they can say they’ve done something.

How hard would it have been to make ignore legacy wide when it was first developed? Or allow you to have your own banned words list where you can put them in a list and it filters them.

People online can be really mean and insensitive. They can be worse than a pack of B**chy school girls or pack of immature teen boys. Most adults out grow that in the RW, but then get online and behave exactly like that. They’ve had to stop doing it in the real world because there would be consequences.

I always find it funny when people complain about offensive language in a game that offers a profanity filter...

The profanity filter doesn't filter out trolls in General chat making jokes about the Jews during the Holocaust, which they've actually done. Neither does it stop discussions about sexually abusing women, racial slurs, and other offensive topics that disregard social mores and human decency. In fact, I'd rather my daughter read profanity in chat than any of that other crap that gets tossed around there so nonchalantly.

The profanity filter doesn't filter out trolls in General chat making jokes about the Jews during the Holocaust, which they've actually done. Neither does it stop discussions about sexually abusing women, racial slurs, and other offensive topics that disregard social mores and human decency. In fact, I'd rather my daughter read profanity in chat than any of that other crap that gets tossed around there so nonchalantly.

Exactly. It’s not swearing that’s the problem, but even then it doesn’t work for some words.

I went into detail about this elsewhere, but this is the biggest reason why I'm walking away from SWTOR and MMOs in general. The loss of social inhibitions due to internet anonymity has become an increasingly pervasive problem over the last decade or so,

I often wonder where this comes cfrom, and yes, people have become more and more aggressive in RL as well.

I often fear that aggressive games - which evoke lots of adrenaline - makes people become aggressive. I even assume that there might be some kind of addiction to adrenaline. People begin to like that "rush", hooligans do.

I fear that this "internet anonymity" is transported into RL as well. People step out of their houses' door and believe : "Nobody knows me. I can do what i want." They carry their own internet anonymity with them. Out of the door into RL.

It's like a monkey on the back.

Fact is, that society becomes more and more aggressive in recent times. Everywhere. I wonder where this comes from.

I often wonder where this comes cfrom, and yes, people have become more and more aggressive in RL as well.

I often fear that aggressive games - which evoke lots of adrenaline - makes people become aggressive. I even assume that there might be some kind of addiction to adrenaline. People begin to like that "rush", hooligans do.

I fear that this "internet anonymity" is transported into RL as well. People step out of their houses' door and believe : "Nobody knows me. I can do what i want." They carry their own internet anonymity with them. Out of the door into RL.

It's like a monkey on the back.

Fact is, that society becomes more and more aggressive in recent times. Everywhere. I wonder where this comes from.

Off topic,

It comes from the media in general... ;) Just look at what cartoons our kid watch on cartoon network. When I was a kid, we didn't have that trash.

Off topic,

It comes from the media in general... ;) Just look at what cartoons our kid watch on cartoon network. When I was a kid, we didn't have that trash.

^TRUTH!

The cartoons, TV shows, music (especially rap) all glorifies & excuses language like this.

Can't have them glorifying/excusing it in what they use as entertainment then expect them not to use it in a game.

It's two faced hypocrisy.

Seeing a discussion about the terrible side effects of the internet being had on the internet by people who play the same game themselves means there is still hope for humanity :p

I mean, whatever the means are given to do good or bad, some will use it for good and some will use it for bad. This is not only true about the internet but literally any new advancement ever (Some would say using computers to research was "good" while making video games that simulate fighting and killing is "bad", for example ;)). The smartphones added more possibilities for evil as well (it is by far more easy to catch a bad video of someone and ruining him with it, for example) and whatever comes after the smartphone will add more possibilities, more conveniences, and obviously, more evils, and there is never the possibility to prevent these.

Specifically in this case: even if there would be moderation and penalty (and there technically is, just not an active one. I reported harassment on some extremely nazi conversations and the players disappeared within 3 days (tested via friendlist), everything is reactive. You can only punish someone for writing abuse after he did so. Unless they implement an AI who would attempt to interpret every single message, there is no way the message will not reach your eyes before it is taken care of (even if we assume they could later delete it from the chat).

The one and the only solution is to limit and monitor the exposure of the young ones to such "vulnerable" entities such as the internet, social media and whatever else there is that could be a portal for such behaviors to pour from, until they are matured enough so you know they would not be affected. In the case of the Mourn with his daughter, he could close his chat. If there was no such option, he would have to either not play or not let her watch him play (just as I hope nobody here lets his kid watch gore or "18+" content when they are young).

All of these will not diminish the terrible behaviors nor will it prevent the creation of more people like this, but the only thing that can be done is to keep them as much "out there" and completely ignore them while staying as much "in here" with normal people. Eventually, they might all exterminate each other out of boredom and bad manners...

Did this really need a thread? Put them on ignore and move on, geez.

Ignore is just for one toon, PVPers have many toons, they play on and you would just spend your evening ignoring people, then you get them on team and dont see their chat and dont know the tactics for the ranked match etc, its just stupid.

Let’s be honest here: if you’re easily offended then the internet is not for you.

That’s just the way it is now.

If you can’t ignore it then you’ll have to go on your way.

That sort of attitude is why there is an increasing lack of civility within the internet community.

If all the polite, decent, well-mannered people do what you suggest and just shut up and leave then who will be left?

Let’s be honest here: if you’re easily offended then the internet is not for you.

Its just sad that I have to leave such a good game because of that!.

I always find it funny when people complain about offensive language in a game that offers a profanity filter...

Thats just for improper language, they would have to put in WAY more words than just the swear words.

Actually yes, I am a teacher in RL and have been always working in a kindergarten where you could really see how the kids react when they watch TV and when they play games. For example after the weekend when kids came to school they were like zombies, you could really see which kids spent the weekends watching TV and playing games and which kids played outside and read books, its a difference of 100 and 1.

If you got kids the experiment is easy, give them a PC or ipad and then take it away, most react a bit violently but its really minor. These reactions grow with the addiction. Those are the cases where people jump out of the windows when lose something important in the game (but thats an extreme example). The thing is that its shorterm reactions, you feel the anger only a few moments before you come to your senses. That is what I am sad about in the game that people just keep going on with their insults.

That’s just the way it is now.

If you can’t ignore it then you’ll have to go on your way.

It is true for the here and now of people who just can't stand seeing such chat, but:

1. These days it is clear that "the internet is not for you" is like "go isolate yourself from the world including some extremely important stuff that currently depends on the internet without any alternative methods". The internet is by far to important and useful to be allowed to be dominated by the socially impaired childish grown-ups. I agree, however, that it is not the case when talking specifically about this game.

2. While ignoring is the solution for us normal people, the people who are (without any better word for it) abnormal need to get reminded of their abnormality as many times as possible. Already, kids and even some grown-ups already pronounce "lol" rather than actually laugh sometimes. I rather not apathetically create a world in which "****" (pronounced "S-TE-FOO") is an actual word and everyone calls everyone autists and the hot topics of the day in the street are about racism and sexuality all the time.

Not related to the quote, for those who excuse such behaviors with "people get angry in their nature": Well, nature (=animal instincts) involves getting angry. Getting angry involves reactions from making loud sounds (like some animals roar and some growl) to physical violence. I assume it makes sense to say that the "loud sound" humans make when they are angry (but not crazy enough to lose it completely) are bad words and insults. So it totally makes sense when you get angry in a game that you will "instinctively" smash the table or yell "idiot" or "**** you" (or whatever level of bad words one is used to using) with your MOUTH. However, when you go out of your primitive instinctive ways and use your calculated brain to TYPE these things with your keyboard and send them so others can see them, that is totally the doing of your consequences-wary fully under control rational human brain, and thus, calling it an "outburst" does not excuse it even for children.

Especially when it is about people without skill and noobs that make mistake that make you angry (not trolls or win traders or hackers), that's a thumb rule for life: don't go out of your way to get angry and express anger at people who didn't go out of their way to anger you. [And of course, even when people actually go out of their way to anger you, it will be letting them win to get angry and show it. So the result is that as soon as you reach the rational level after the initial instinctive anger (and reminder: the ability to type is on the rational side), there is never a case in which experssing the anger is the right way]