How many did not Hate KOTFE or KOTET...

denavin

There has been much bashing of the KOTFE and KOTET story lines. I for one did not hate KOTFE or KOTET though the story was murdered by Charles to pacify the complainers, which was a huge disservice to Charles and the KOTFE / KOTET story as a whole.

I enjoyed the story and the entire premises of the alliance. I have seen others state that they also enjoyed playing the KOTFE / KOTET story line.

For those that did please post your thoughts and likes about the alliance and the whole KOTFE / KOTET series.

Story haters you have your own threads please no flames or bashing.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the story and loved the concept of the Alliance with all these people from all over the galaxy wotrking together no matter their original faction, beliefs or aligment.

My only real complaint about it is that the story was butchered when i think it could've been so much better if we've had the full story. We could've had much better companion returns too, at least for the LIs if they all came back through chapters instead of class specific AA.

Oh also did not like that other people killing their companions in their story removed said companions in my story as well when i did not kill them.

Had KotFE and KotET been standalone stories seperate from the main SWTOR storyline, I would have probably loved them. Because the stories are not bad when taken by itself, but as a continuation of the 8 class stories from the main SWTOR plot and subsequently RotHC, SoR and Rise of the Emperor they are horrible. They ruin so many great things that SWTOR previously had established as well as breaking a lot of characters who initially were very intriguing. The prime example is how Valkorion completely changed Vitiate and in a sense ruined that character as an antagonist. Not saying I hate Valkorion, he's still my favourite character from SWTOR, but he should have been a seperate character and not an aspect of Vitiate.

So in other words, had KotFE and KotET been a game and story on its own I would have loved it, but as a continuation of the SWTOR main storyline I loathe them.

Edited by Ylliarus

Hard to tell if it was going to eventually be better overall with the third season that they nixed. There had to be have been much cut, edited, and crammed into the second season that we will never see or know about. I feel it's largely incomplete. Maybe the rest of the companion returns would have been better, made more sense, had more of a presence, etc.

For some of my toons, I can head-canon some of them to make sense with the story that we got, and I can enjoy it that way. For others, it's a real chore or it just doesn't make sense at all. Ironically, my favorite playthrough over the dozen or so I've done so far has been with my smuggler. She's basically a sarcastic stand-in for why so much of it makes no sense for non-force-users, and conversely why it would make sense that she could need Valkorian's power/guidance and the help of all the force-users around her more than a force-user would (the scene where Valkorian's shielding you from Arcann makes sense to a non-force user. It's just stupid for a force-user and takes away all the choices you made before to reject his power)

I think if you asked people what they hate about KOTxx most of it would be procedural--the endless, boring hallways of skytroopers, not being able to stealth or avoid most mobs, forcing companions that are most assuredly not fan-favorites down our throats and giving us little to no agency over them, some alliance alerts being too short or too grindy, the walker stages, all plot "twists" being CONSTANTLY and ABSURDLY telegraphed from light-years away with unnecessary cut-scene "cliff-hangers", making our PCs look like complete and utter dolts most of the time, the "chapter" presentation wasn't all that popular at the time but I'll bet every person who complained about it at the time would trade almost anything for that cadence now.

TLD;R: it's all contextual for me. Makes sense for some toons, but it's a real struggle with others. It's hard to take much seriously when the Trooper is given the same narrative weight as the Emperor's Wrath

For some of my toons, I can head-canon some of them to make sense with the story that we got, and I can enjoy it that way. For others, it's a real chore or it just doesn't make sense at all. [sNIP] It's hard to take much seriously when the Trooper is given the same narrative weight as the Emperor's Wrath

You hit the nail right on the head.

My main character was a Sith Sorcerer who became Darth Nox, a servant of darkness and fierce loyalist to the Sith Empire. Chapters 1 & 2 of KotFE made a lot of sense and are my favourite chapters of those two expansions to date. But from chapter 3 on it goes downhill. The story forces you to supposedly transcend the distinction between Light and Dark, but that completely contradicts the character of Darth Nox, yet we can't do anything about it because all 8 classes are the same person anyway. Then we also have to form an Alliance as an independent power, which again makes no sense because Darth Nox would return to the Empire and rally it against Zakuul. But, the story doesn't allow that and as it continues it keeps contradicting everything I previously achieved and did in my class story, RotHC and SoR.

The same went for my main Sith Warrior and main Jedi Consular. The story completely contradicted them and forced them to be contradicted. In the end KotFE and KotET ruined them so badly for me that I ended up deleting them and rerolling new mains who I dare not play through those two expansions. I'll probably skip right to Ossus on them and try to stomach any references to being the Alliance Commander if there will be any even though it will most certainly heavily frustrate me.

As I said before, had KotFE and KotET been a seperate storyline and unaffiliated with the main SWTOR storyline, I would have probably loved it. But I loathe them as a continuation of the SWTOR narrative, I absolutely loathe them.

Edited by Ylliarus

I liked KotFE, aside from the chapter that started off bad when Lana suggests you talk to Vitiate for help and you don't get to respond "Why would I ever do that?" and go about your mission as planned, and never got any better.

Eternal Throne I liked much less, with its focus on the Outlander taking the Eternal Throne and the condensation of the story cutting out companion returns.

Edited by Plactus

I REALLY loved them because they were different than the Star Wars stories we were used to... and this is the reason why so many hated them.

They were very well done... and the cinematic story telling was really good. Sadly, it felt like it was made out of limited budget and that's why It failed to deliver what players expected. They couldn't develop the story properly and most o the times it felt rushed.

It gave this game a short lived population boost, because the replay value was little.

I liked KotFE, aside from the chapter that started off bad when Lana suggests you talk to Vitiate for help and you don't get to respond "Why would I ever do that?" and go about your mission as planned, and never got any better.

Eternal Throne I liked much less, with its focus on the Outlander taking the Eternal Throne and the condensation of the story cutting out companion returns.

Ugh, and then she gives you that "Where the BLAZES have YOU been?!"

YOU TOLD ME TO GO TALK TO HIM!!!!

It was alright for the most part. There were things I didn't love but I'd like to think the things I liked outweighed the things I didn't like. It only lacks replayability unless you wait several months between replays. I just don't have quite the same amount of joy as I did with say, The Shadow of Revan, that was my favorite expansion to date. :)

KOTFE was okay. It had some bizarre chapters but it was setting up the story. Then KOTET came along, the writing quality dropped and it just ruined everything from there on.

I really wish they had gone with their original plan for three expansions instead of trimming it down to 9 episodes and three flashpoints.

Edited by fishpeople

I REALLY loved them because they were different than the Star Wars stories we were used to... and this is the reason why so many hated them.

They were very well done... and the cinematic story telling was really good. Sadly, it felt like it was made out of limited budget and that's why It failed to deliver what players expected. They couldn't develop the story properly and most o the times it felt rushed.

It gave this game a short lived population boost, because the replay value was little.

I bet that KotFE and KotET would have made great stories and been a big success had they been a game on their own. People wanted and expected something else from SWTOR and how its story would continue. In other words, they never expected or wanted KotFE and KotET as a continuation of SWTOR's main narrative.

I do agree though, the base idea of the story was good and the cutscenes were beautiful! The characters also had really intriguing backstories, just not properly worked out enough. KotFE and KotET are clearly recycled story from an original idea for a KOTOR 3 game. The Outlander was meant to be Revan, Lana Beniko the Jedi Exile, Theron Shan Carth Onasi, the Eternal Empire the Sith Empire, etc etc. I bet it would have worked out for an actual KOTOR 3, but again, it completely doesn't work out for a continuation of the main SWTOR storyline.

Edited by Ylliarus

I liked the story and loved the concept of the Alliance with all these people from all over the galaxy wotrking together no matter their original faction, beliefs or aligment.

My only real complaint about it is that the story was butchered when i think it could've been so much better if we've had the full story. We could've had much better companion returns too, at least for the LIs if they all came back through chapters instead of class specific AA.

Oh also did not like that other people killing their companions in their story removed said companions in my story as well when i did not kill them.

Ditto what Goreshaga said.

Edited by AureliaSulis

Total and utter Hatred. :rak_04:

Lana's pretty cool though and Scorpio too. I love scorpio so that part with her was not completely and utterly void any coolness whatsoever like the rest of the time.

While I didn't like the story line at all I did think they did an excellent job in telling it.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I think KOTFEET was a good continuation of my Knight's story (it also gave me a full romance with Theron which is great as i never really liked Doc for her).

About Vitiate / Valkorion. Vitiate states pretty much when you face him on Dromund Kass that he wants to spent eternity trying to be anything from a farmer to a god, i don't see how Valkorion contradicts that actually, it's just another experiment for him.

And about Nox, why should they necessarily be Empire lovers ? They can be if that's what anyone wants, but they're also pretty justified to hate it considering they were slaves of the Empire in the first place.

IIRC, the faithfull imperial loyalist is implied to be Imperius (which is the LS SI) when awarded with the Darth title by Marr, while Nox is given for the mastery of the DS no matter if the character loves or hates the Empire.

Dunno wat Marr says to a neutral SI though as i've not tried yet.

I pretty much loved both expansions, I found that as far as the chapters went I was pretty immersed in the story and while initially I wasn't keen on being Alliance Commander the role grew on me over time. KOTET especially is my favorite expansion to date, as far as story is concerned that. I really enjoyed the impact some choices could have on my playthrough in it, hadn't felt like that since vanilla. Really all I would've changed about those 2 expansions is go overboard with it... there was potential to be so much more there. I would've loved for us to have lots of side-quests exploring Zakuul and their culture, as well as the state of the galaxy in general. More companion interaction would've been wonderful, especially with the KOTFE/KOTET ones.

I think there were all kinds of good stuff in KOTFE and KOTET. Well, mostly in KOTFE. I like the Alliance until it becomes too big to be reasonably considered a rebel faction, I'm not interested in being in charge of a contender in the Star Wars universe. I had no problem with peeping in on the villains plotting and all that, though it was a bit jarring when compared with the past game. I thought parts of the story were really good and the voice actors were excellent. The aesthetic was gorgeous. I actually liked losing the companions to have them come back as we continued, but now it's been too long so that's pretty much blown. The fact that a lot of their stories might be over doesn't sit well. Some elements really appealed to friends of mine more than they do to me, though later even those kind of got blown.

I do have some specific things that got so much under my skin that I'm surprised muscle isn't showing, but I've gone over those at length elsewhere and don't want to bring them here.

Really, lots of good ideas. Most of which, for me, went to waste. I agree that as a separate thing, it might have been acceptable or good, especially with a few more choices that I feel we instead got foisted on us, whether we liked them or not. It was far from all bad, but it could have been so much better. But, no, I didn't hate it, I just loathed certain aspects of it so badly that it left me no better than lukewarm of the thing as a whole.

Edited by gamephil

"By order of the dark council and in light of your inscrutable reputation, you are now Darth Occlus." - Marr

Thanks ^^

I would've loved for us to have lots of side-quests exploring Zakuul and their culture, as well as the state of the galaxy in general. More companion interaction would've been wonderful, especially with the KOTFE/KOTET ones.

This would've been great, especially for the companion interactions.

They were fine, although I enjoyed it much more the second time through when I could play the chapters one after another rather than waiting until next month. It's a shame they had to cut so much out of KoTET and completely abandon the third installment because they didn't have enough resources to do both that and put something together for raiders. It would be super if they could expand KoTET and reinstate the third story arc as an enhanced version of the game.

Personally I enjoyed KOTFE and KOTET. I do agree with the previous poster that it would've made more sense as KOTOR 3, but even that and playing through it as The Empire's Wrath I still managed to enjoy it. I'll probably never play through it as a non force user though. Too much of a stretch to think a non force user would stand a chance against Vaylin or Arcann in personal combat.

I absolutely loved the voice acting. If I ever replayed it it would literally be for the voice acting. I cannot stress this enough :D The thing I disliked about it the most were the out of character moments for my Sith Warrior. In the SW story the PC is an absolute terror; slinging people around with the force while force jumping all over the place, cutting through doors with lightsabers while almost always outnumbered. It was jarring to see them forget how to use the force in any place where it would have made sense. I actually facepalmed watching the scene with Theron on the train as well as that sad, pathetic attempt at "attacking" arcann while he's escaping. That might go down as the weakest force push in star wars history.

I'm okay with the PC not being the strongest at all times in a story, but don't downgrade them in order for the story to make sense. The devs need to allow ferocity to be met with ferocity; especially in cutscenes. Some of these moments in KOTFE / KOTET were absolutely shameful.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. Would definitely play again as a SI. I'd also be ok with a Vaylin romance lmao

Edited by Dyne-

Overall, I LOVED KOTFE and KOTET. There were things I didn't like about it, such as the non-Force user Outlander track, how much focus Valkorion's family got, and how Arcann was dealt with, and I think we would have been far better served by the full three years. But I loved it.

- I loved working with a variety of companions from different factions.

- I loved that it included the first real LTR SGRs in the game.

- I thought that even though the Alliance Alerts were not fully voiced, some of the quests were really fun. I always love the quests for Blizz, Talos Drelik, Guss and Nico in particular. The ones that were really silly, like feeding Scritchy, were nice to find.

- I liked that my characters had more agency and were not bound to the ideology of their faction or Force-using order.

- I loved Odessen.

- I liked a lot of the visuals in Zakuul, like running around on the subway tracks and the craft trainers in the disued subway car.

I am very sorry to lose that and get pushed back into what I personally feel is far less nuanced and interesting.