Huttball ( Vandin ) PVP map - feedback...?

Storm-Cutter

I can't see any other threads on this specifically.

How are people finding it? What do you think? Or am I the only one that still likes Huttball?

FWIW I like it coz it's Huttball, but it'd by my third choice if I had to rank each HB map in preference.

I think It's too much like the original map, but they made it too big, too fussy and pretty much the same kind of layout. I was hoping for a more compact space, with plenty of open areas, with just a few obstacles and such to LoS behind.

It would be nice to have some new mechanics, and some traps they you had to go around or leap across instead of the ineffective acid and roll-through poison gas and flames.

I like additional grapple points, not sure I'm keen on being basted back to my own side at times. - I kinda like the sides with the power-ups, though they aren't anything new TBH.

It's not an improvement on classic HB- just bigger and more fussy. I can't expect melee and AoE classes to like it much since everything seems a lot more spread out.

Thoughts, anyone?

Edited by Storm-Cutter

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see any other threads on this specifically.

How are people finding it? What do you think? Or am I the only one that still likes Huttball?

FWIW I like it coz it's Huttball, but it'd by my third choice if I had to rank each HB map in preference.

I think It's too much like the original map, but they made it too big, too fussy and pretty much the same kind of layout. I was hoping for a more compact space, with plenty of open areas, with just a few obstacles and such to LoS behind.

It would be nice to have some new mechanics, and some traps they you had to go around or leap across instead of the ineffective acid and roll-through poison gas and flames.

I like additional grapple points, not sure I'm keen on being basted back to my own side at times. - I kinda like the sides with the power-ups, though they aren't anything new TBH.

It's not an improvement on classic HB- just bigger and more fussy. I can't expect melee and AoE classes to like it much since everything seems a lot more spread out.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think it was smart how they made it. They made the map huge, at least it sure seems bigger and the maze to get to the other side is more complex so you can't take one simple beeline to the finish line.

I played my lowbie merc DPS, and found it fun for all the areas to run around things out of melee LOS to do my damage. Not sure how melee do on this map, but I seen a lowbie marauder and jugg both who matched my damage sometimes on this map so I am going to guess melee can do well on it too.

It seems poison traps hurt much more, I lackadaisically walked through one and melted dead fairly fast from the poison.

I like how the air flows have arrows letting you know which way you will get blown, I don't know if they change or if they are static, but every time I used one it pushed me to the right and showed an arrow pointing right.

I am still exploring the map tbh, so I can't add much more than this. The most noteworthy thing is I don't think class abilities will outgrow this map like they have on HB1 and HB2.

In a nutshell you cannot score easily it seems, and the map is fun navigating around to deathmatch on or to play the ball. Scoring should be challenging and it seems to be the case. It takes some cooperation of a team to move the ball due to it's size so you must pass the ball so if you don't have an objective team I imagine it might take longer to score or be a lot harder.

New Huttball map? 5/5 so far for me. Surprised; me I wasn't expecting much tbh.

Well, I saw it on the PTS, and there I had a really good experience, playing almost 100% with people who wanted to actually play huttball (with a slant towards testing the map, of course) - so I'm starting off with a positive bias.

But I like the map. I like the fact that it's bigger, which I think, when combined with the 45 second timer, encourages more passing. You can still grab the ball, run straight into the pit, and pass up to a waiting teammate for quick scores though, just like the original HB.

If you take the ramps, it does seem more convoluted so far to figure out "how do I get there!?". That might be, for me, because it's still not natural which way to go. OPG was like that for me for a while, and the map seemed HUGE. And then after I got down exactly which way to run to get to where I wanted to go, the map magically shrunk. :D

Operatives, I guess, can still skip a lot of the traps and walkway confusion by just rolling from the right spot directly onto the scoring platform. Unless bioware changed it from the PTS, there's a video around somewhere that Snave made that shows all the spots you can roll from. I know I was pretty surpised at how far away you can be in some spots, and still make it.

Melee vs. ranged - being melee, I haven't noticed a difference in trying to bring down the ball carrier. I'm not great at bringing down someone solo, so for trying to stop that person running ahead I'd rather stun or knock them out of position to stop the advance. I don't ever just fight in HB, so I can't tell you how it is as a deathmatch map. :D

I've found I can survive the poison trap if I'm starting at full health, and then pop a WZ medpack after I'm damaged. But that trap does seem nasty. I think because the sound for it is so quiet, you hardly know you've been hit by it and then you're dead. Not like the acid trap with it's FWOOSH sound.

well, right now, they're only death matching, the ball pick-up area is so big and open, you'd need a good healer/tank situation to get the ball away from mid. This hasn't even happened this far, ppl die left and right and get pulled away for death matching on the side. This is probably huge amounts of fun if you're in premade groups up against each other.. but then again, all maps are more fun that way.

i was very excited about this map, but it's not being played right. :(

Did they seriously remove CC breaker ability from ball carriers? What the actual---...

This wasn't on PTS, why was the map on pts if all the features werent.

I really dont like this change. Why do this? It just dumbs down the game and makes it less fun. Please let us use cc breaker.

Yep, that and massive desync make the new map unplayable.

I am curious what exactly is "desync" because I honestly do not see any unplayable moments in huttball, any of them. The only thing I have seen is ops roll bugging out sometimes, and I have seen leaps do some funky things but it's not something that renders the match unplayable.

I am curious what exactly is "desync" because I honestly do not see any unplayable moments in huttball, any of them. The only thing I have seen is ops roll bugging out sometimes, and I have seen leaps do some funky things but it's not something that renders the match unplayable.

People disappearing on your screen while still attacking you - happens a LOT in the new map (legit saw a jugg use a force choke while being invisible on the screen); teleporting around the map without using mobility skills etc.

Edited by Equeliber

The desync is terrible in this map, way worse than on the PTS and more evidence that desync is progressively becoming more of a problem.

The removal of breaker while having the ball is the stupidest change they could have possibly made. The fact they added in such a monumentally stupid change AFTER the PTS was closed makes me wonder who is the work experience boy at bioware making these changes. FYI you can't use breaker in any huttball while carrying the ball, I had a queshball earlier and it's the same there.

What's the point in holding a PTS if you're going to make massive changes after it closes with zero testing or feedback.

I have seen what I assume people are talking about. It doesn't make the whole match unplayable, but when an operative hits roll, or a mara hits leap, or a sin uses phantom stride, etc. any of those really-really-fast movement abilities, then my client (I guess) will lose track of where they are. They can disappear completely for few seconds, or show up in the pit when they are actually on the top ramp, or the other way around. And I can't target them at all. The next time they show up as solid and targettable they are already 40 more meters away from where it looked like they last were, and it's too late to stop them.

I find it pretty common now too. It's tough to make the clutch play when that happens. On the other hand, you can play around it by not letting them get the ball to begin with. :p

I have seen what I assume people are talking about. It doesn't make the whole match unplayable, but when an operative hits roll, or a mara hits leap, or a sin uses phantom stride, etc. any of those really-really-fast movement abilities, then my client (I guess) will lose track of where they are. They can disappear completely for few seconds, or show up in the pit when they are actually on the top ramp, or the other way around. And I can't target them at all. The next time they show up as solid and targettable they are already 40 more meters away from where it looked like they last were, and it's too late to stop them.

I find it pretty common now too. It's tough to make the clutch play when that happens. On the other hand, you can play around it by not letting them get the ball to begin with. :p

This isn't quite true on the new map. Previously desync was mainly caused from movement abilities causing the client to poop the bed, today I had a jugg walk with the ball to the first ramp this disappear only to reappear over the trap and next to the stun trap. That's a good 6+s of him being invisible for no reason.

I had multiple examples of players just being invisible while hitting me for 5+s. A jugg choked me, was hitting me, but didn't appear on my screen for a good few seconds after the choke. No leap, just walked up and disappeared.

Desync keeps getting worse and worse, we still have no official response other than "our engineers are constantly looking into yadda yadda".

This isn't quite true on the new map.<snip>.

Oh. Well, yeah, that's a lot worse than what I've noticed. I thought just the movement ability ones were bad enough. Not completely unplayable, but could certainly cost you the match (well, ok, probably some people consider that unplayable - I guess I'll give that one to them :D ). But what you said, ugh. Er... maybe they were trying to fix the desync and broke the CC breaker thing!? :confused:

Speaking of which, seriously, has anyone tried reporting the "CC breaker disabled when you have the ball" thing as a bug? Maybe it's actually a bug, and not on purpose?

This isn't quite true on the new map. Previously desync was mainly caused from movement abilities causing the client to poop the bed, today I had a jugg walk with the ball to the first ramp this disappear only to reappear over the trap and next to the stun trap. That's a good 6+s of him being invisible for no reason.

I had multiple examples of players just being invisible while hitting me for 5+s. A jugg choked me, was hitting me, but didn't appear on my screen for a good few seconds after the choke. No leap, just walked up and disappeared.

Desync keeps getting worse and worse, we still have no official response other than "our engineers are constantly looking into yadda yadda".

What is desync though, technically?

Oh. Well, yeah, that's a lot worse than what I've noticed. I thought just the movement ability ones were bad enough.

This has been my experience with huttball, mainly when changing levels whether it is leaping to or from, or using some sort of movement enhancing ability like roll... These seem to glitch. Because of so many different platforms at different heights it seems these issues are exasperated in huttball.

I don't have random people phase out/disappear though unless I have some serious lag going on.

I don't play ops, sins, or leap classes much now so only witness the glitches when these classes do roll, portals, leaps.

I don't find these issues to make the game unplayable though, more of an annoyance. Maybe if i was rolling all the time and leaping/holotraversing then glitching every time I would find it much more annoying.

Speaking of which, seriously, has anyone tried reporting the "CC breaker disabled when you have the ball" thing as a bug? Maybe it's actually a bug, and not on purpose?

It's happening on all huttball maps so unlikely a bug, more likely a stupid decision.

What is desync though, technically?

Desync is when the game de-synchronises the players positions causing them to disappear / not be where they are shown on your screen / teleport about. Primarily it happens when you're doing things on the Z axis or using roll / leap that kinda stuff. On this map pretty much anything causes it, literally walking up the ramp causes it.

My god I got tired of huttball real fast with that breaker ninja removal.

Please tell me this is a bug and not an actual feature.

Otherwise, what do we do with PTS if they're gonna add or remove stuff without play-testing anyway.

Desync really isn't helping either, makes passing just real hard. I'll just avoid huttball for now I guess...

as soon as anyone gets the ball they just get CC'd and beaten to death with about 6 people on them until the possession changes, then the other team do the same. - With 6 melee on you, it's hard to see your own team mate to pass to even if you could, through all the ability effects going off. Edited by Storm-Cutter

Did they seriously remove CC breaker ability from ball carriers? What the actual---...

This wasn't on PTS, why was the map on pts if all the features werent.

How do you even **** these things up Bioware? Cuz it has to be a bug, no one is that stupid.. right RIGHT?

The desync is terrible in this map, way worse than on the PTS and more evidence that desync is progressively becoming more of a problem.

+++

After playing this map 5-6 times I found myself quitting every next pop. The dsync is so bad it's unplayable at times.

FYI you can't use breaker in any huttball while carrying the ball, I had a queshball earlier and it's the same there.

Damn, and I was thinking I was too drunk and was missing "T" button I have the breaker tied to.

Damn, and I was thinking I was too drunk and was missing "T" button I have the breaker tied to.

Well there's your problem. The rank over... I mean ranked overlords have determined that the best keybind for your breaker is 'c'. 'T' should be reserved for defensive cooldowns.

Except for operatives of course. For them every key is just bound to roll. Especially in huttball. Even operative healers. Oddly enough, though, it doesn't work the same for scoundrels. It's just one of life's mysteries.

:p

I won my first match on this map 3-2 and I scored all 3 goal on my rage jugg, so naturally I proclaim this the great invention in swtor history :D

Narh... I actually kinda detest it. The desync is just ridiculous on this map, with people magically disappearing and stuttering all over.