How are tanks doing in WZs post 5.9.3?

Mournblood

Read the patch notes and it seems BW finally got Shield to work in PvP. Since I've essentially stopped PvPing, I was curious how tanks are doing now that one of their "tank" stats is actually useful in PvP? Is it helpful enough to provide incentive to move away from Skanking? Edited by Mournblood

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing changes, if they let tank stats affect guard dmg then maybe ppl will use different setups.

Currently, guard damage has to roll through the tank stats. Test it out. Guard a target in a place such as Outlaw's Den and have an enemy attack that target. Pop a DCD that increase defense or shield chance, and you will see it is affected.

I think the change is good, but we need some damage restored. Sure, we can last longer now, but we need some offense too.

Being on a bit of a rage induced hiatus, i do not know how 5.9.3 has affected tanking.

I do believe, however, that "nerfing" tank damage without actually nerfing tank damage was at least part of the point.

As of about a week ago, a well played tank was already a pain to kill, this merely throws them a bone to nerf their own damage.

Edited by KendraP

Read the patch notes and it seems BW finally got Shield to work in PvP. Since I've essentially stopped PvPing, I was curious how tanks are doing now that one of their "tank" stats is actually useful in PvP? Is it helpful enough to provide incentive to move away from Skanking?

Tested my guardian tank shield and absorb build shield at 50% and absorb at 47% with absorb boosting relic and with a dedicated healer on me I am nearly unkillable with the exception of full team focus or proper healer stunning but even without a healer my up time is generally double of what it used to be.

Tested my guardian tank shield and absorb build shield at 50% and absorb at 47% with absorb boosting relic and with a dedicated healer on me I am nearly unkillable with the exception of full team focus or proper healer stunning but even without a healer my up time is generally double of what it used to be.

Which means an assassin tank should feel an even greater improvement due to the superior shield+abs he can reach (something like 60% shield all the time and absorb varying between 50-60%, and that is while excluding the possible bonus of 30% absorb for 20 seconds for each recklessness and the effect of tanky relics, though I don't use tank relics).

Will give my personal feedback when I can get my head out of Assassin's Creed Odyssey :p

Which means an assassin tank should feel an even greater improvement due to the superior shield+abs he can reach (something like 60% shield all the time and absorb varying between 50-60%, and that is while excluding the possible bonus of 30% absorb for 20 seconds for each recklessness and the effect of tanky relics, though I don't use tank relics).

Will give my personal feedback when I can get my head out of Assassin's Creed Odyssey :p

Ill test it when i quell the rage monster i still have from 5.9.2 and the fact they made another stupid huttball map.

I am nearly unkillable with the exception of full team focus or proper healer stunning but even without a healer my up time is generally double of what it used to be.

wow a dream come true. longer time to kill. that's exactly what pvp needed most.:rak_01:

and it benefits skank tanks too...amazing.

with just 20% basic shield he can actually shielding a crit...no one see this coming....

so what should be the benefit of going full tank gear instead of dps gear?

Edited by ultimarb

with just 20% basic shield he can actually shielding a crit...no one see this coming....

What do you mean what should be the benefit of going tank gear in stead of dps gear? Shield is better now, so getting more shield has more of an impact now, that's the benefit. Though I still don't know if the added survivability will be better than the extra damage from dps gear.

Wow, you guys just really make me want to come back... not.

Hey, honestly it seems tanks are even more sturdy. Seen a tank in a 4v4, definitely took longer for him to die. Only got one anecdotal example of proof that the changes did indeed improve the survivability of tanks.

P.S. They did make the tank changes in this last update, right? :o

P.P.S. Oh, Kendra... Banderal was being fun with you and I just had to join in! We enjoy you and hope you feel better enough to log in and post frequently again. We are like a family here!

What do you mean what should be the benefit of going tank gear in stead of dps gear? Shield is better now, so getting more shield has more of an impact now, that's the benefit. Though I still don't know if the added survivability will be better than the extra damage from dps gear.

Was in a 4v4, our tank lasted longer than anyone and did most damage one round, it definitely seemed he was up a long time. Wonder if you stack all shielding stats how it would pan out?

wow a dream come true. longer time to kill. that's exactly what pvp needed most.:rak_01:

one it is simple in a one on one fight I would beat the skank tank 100% of the time simply put as half the time I am taking half damage from his crits basically removing any advantage he had from doing that build at all and 2 wz are objective based if I am guarding I can last more then long enough for help to arrive vs a skank that would melt under the same factors and with a healer healing me just the 2 of us can defend against 6 people without any problems where in a skank terms that is not going to be so certain.

one it is simple in a one on one fight I would beat the skank tank 100% of the time simply put as half the time I am taking half damage from his crits basically removing any advantage he had from doing that build at all and 2 wz are objective based if I am guarding I can last more then long enough for help to arrive vs a skank that would melt under the same factors and with a healer healing me just the 2 of us can defend against 6 people without any problems where in a skank terms that is not going to be so certain.

you know that skank can shield crits now, too? tank stats are now more of a waste than ever before. especially in a premade setup...

you know that skank can shield crits now, too? tank stats are now more of a waste than ever before. especially in a premade setup...

you do realize if you have no absorb shielding is pointless so lets see you will proc shielding only 20% of the time absorbing next to no damage while I shield half of all crits taking half damage from all those crits it's simple math dude you will lose because I will last longer and thus my survival cool downs will repop while you will die long before that .

From what I have seen not much has changed for team 4vs4. The problem with tanks in organized tank + healer matches is that in tank gear you lack the extra damage in burst and the extra protection doesn't help much. It's for a 2nd set in case you are tted imo. This is just a casual observation, I haven't really spoken to any top tier tanks.

you do realize if you have no absorb shielding is pointless so lets see you will proc shielding only 20% of the time absorbing next to no damage while I shield half of all crits taking half damage from all those crits it's simple math dude you will lose because I will last longer and thus my survival cool downs will repop while you will die long before that .

reading comprehension....

in a premade setup (which pvp is balanced for, cause of 4vs4 arena) no one will ever go full tank. and of cause all skank tanks have a minimum of absorb stats...who would be so stupid to go in with zero.

full tank gear is about 50% of shield and absorb.

you get 20% shield for free and just need a minimum of absorb...than full crit/alacrity.

and how often you'll have 1vs of a full tank vs a skank tank. this situatuin will happen in 1 out of 10000 matches and event then, the skank wont loss in normal timeframe where someone would coming for help

reading comprehension....

in a premade setup (which pvp is balanced for, cause of 4vs4 arena) no one will ever go full tank. and of cause all skank tanks have a minimum of absorb stats...who would be so stupid to go in with zero.

full tank gear is about 50% of shield and absorb.

you get 20% shield for free and just need a minimum of absorb...than full crit/alacrity.

and how often you'll have 1vs of a full tank vs a skank tank. this situatuin will happen in 1 out of 10000 matches and event then, the skank wont loss in normal timeframe where someone would coming for help

To me you both sound like you are theorycrafting which is fun but no one knows due to actual practical application. Once ranked players test it out then come back to the forums and share what they have found I won't believe what anyone else writes.

To me you both sound like you are theorycrafting which is fun but no one knows due to actual practical application. Once ranked players test it out then come back to the forums and share what they have found I won't believe what anyone else writes.

My guess is the ranked overlords will run skanks as they always have. Ranked isn't about solo survivability - its about killing the enemy before they kill you.

For my playstyle, should I actually play again, mitigation stats will be the way to go, because I specialize in 4-8 on 2-6 stall wars where killing the opponent is not the objective.

In essence, they're both right - this was a buff to any shield/absorb regardless of where it comes from. BUT the 20% shield/5% absorb chance (or whatever the base is) is not rven close to what you can obtain with actual tank gear, and thus I would propose that actual tank gear DOES make you more survivable, BUT that doesnt matter for ranked players.

Consider this: actual tanks, skank tanks, and DWT can all taunt identically. All of then have guard that functions identically - the difference is in the amount of damage - guard and otherwise - that can be mitigated. The most damage mitigated now probably comes from tank stats. BUT, given the plethora of DCDs that exist even on dps, in ranked, I expect the hammers will continue to focus on damage.

But what do I know, you asked for a ranked player.

My guess is the ranked overlords will run skanks as they always have. Ranked isn't about solo survivability - its about killing the enemy before they kill you.

For my playstyle, should I actually play again, mitigation stats will be the way to go, because I specialize in 4-8 on 2-6 stall wars where killing the opponent is not the objective.

In essence, they're both right - this was a buff to any shield/absorb regardless of where it comes from. BUT the 20% shield/5% absorb chance (or whatever the base is) is not rven close to what you can obtain with actual tank gear, and thus I would propose that actual tank gear DOES make you more survivable, BUT that doesnt matter for ranked players.

Consider this: actual tanks, skank tanks, and DWT can all taunt identically. All of then have guard that functions identically - the difference is in the amount of damage - guard and otherwise - that can be mitigated. The most damage mitigated now probably comes from tank stats. BUT, given the plethora of DCDs that exist even on dps, in ranked, I expect the hammers will continue to focus on damage.

But what do I know, you asked for a ranked player.

That's probably true and tanks do indeed seem to have added survivability now in regs.

I am just saying until we have players that maximize classes like the ranked players do in a more controlled meta we won't know which is stronger now, what DPS stats add to a skank or tank stats add to "true" tanks.

The ranked players typically find what exact spec and stats give the highest chance to win and utilize that spec.

That's the only reason I say I won't trust any anecdotal evidence or theorycrafting until some ranked players comment on what they are experiencing.

Sadly the amount of ranked players that add to discussions on the forums is slight now. Might be awhile before pleb like myself learns the truth about tanks and skanks. ;)

That's probably true and tanks do indeed seem to have added survivability now in regs.

I am just saying until we have players that maximize classes like the ranked players do in a more controlled meta we won't know which is stronger now, what DPS stats add to a skank or tank stats add to "true" tanks.

The ranked players typically find what exact spec and stats give the highest chance to win and utilize that spec.

That's the only reason I say I won't trust any anecdotal evidence or theorycrafting until some ranked players comment on what they are experiencing.

Sadly the amount of ranked players that add to discussions on the forums is slight now. Might be awhile before pleb like myself learns the truth about tanks and skanks. ;)

The problem is what you seem to need to suceed depends on what format you are doing - as I said, for my preferred playstyle of creating en masse stall wars, I want the ability to eat as much damage as possible for my team and the damage i do is irrelevant.

For a ranked player, these undermanned stall wars don't exist. The objective is kill before you are killed. This skews the perspective in favor of higher damage. Surviving to acid does you little good, if you can't put the damage out there.

Tank gear is much less obvious than dps or healing - there really isn't necessarily some "ideal" value; its much more based on "what works for you." This is true even for pve content where legitimate tanks run everything from full warding to warding b to lethal b to even full lethal mods. Extend this argument to pvp and the argument is even hazier.

What works for me might be the total opposite of what works for a ranked pvper, not because he's any better or his gear is more optimal but because we are doing fundamentally different things.

I expect that is what is happening in the argument between the other 2 - they have drastically different playstyles and what works for one of them would hinder the other.