Spike in price of mod extraction: speculation

HollyUSEC

Once again, I know this is not going to change, and so I'm not going to kvetch and make a stink about it. I will, of course, say that I disagree tremendously-- and I'd like to offer an inquiry as to what people think Bioware's motives are.

I'm speaking about the expotentially rising costs of extracting mods.

Ever since Alliance supply crates were introduced for heroic planetary missions, we've been inundated with bind to legacy gear that, while visually appropriate for a single class, can be equipped by any. Arkanian, Yavin, Resurrected, Underworld, and Dreadguard versions of gear for Jedi Knights, Consulars, Bounty Hunters, Imperial Agents, etc. Many of us probably have all the completed sets.

Most of us would extract mods and put them into this gear so they could be swapped back and forth between mirrored classes. Our sniper had a 4-piece set bonus and our gunslinger had a 2-piece in slots our sniper didn't? Swap back and forth and both toons could enjoy a full six-piece set bonus in FP's and Ops.

But costs have risen drastically with each new tier. Blue 230 mods cost 21k a pop to extract. And 236 tier? More than DOUBLE that at 52k.

And while I know that yelling and making a stink about this will be met with getting ripped about a dozen new ones from the player community, and won't change things... I can't help but wonder: why?

The economy hasn't risen that drastically, has it? Our credits rewards for various things like conquest and Ops hasn't risen that drastically-- or has it? (You can probably tell by now that I've been absent from the game for a LONG time, and I'll confirm it here.)

Why is Bioware trying to create such a huge credit sink? Is the entire community being penalized for a few working the GTN so successfully? Are gold farmers responsible for inflating the economy so much?

Or has Bioware decided they DON'T want us swapping tier set bonuses back and forth anymore, after all, and raised prices so sharply to “discourage” (obviously a metaphor for “million barbs absolutely CRAMMED through the eyeballs”) us from continuing the practice?

In any event, I guess I can get rid of all those bind-to-legacy Alliance crates gear pieces sitting in my legacy cargo hold. I'd probably free up a whole tab.

What's your take on why this is happening? Is the economy inflated that much, or is Bioware trying to stop a once-very popular practice?

It's a bug.

Two things of note from the thread we are looking into:

• Changes in Companion stats/ability - The team is looking into it now, I will let you know what they discover.
  • Increase cost for mod / augment removal - This is not intended and will be fixed in a future update.

-eric

Nice rant though.

Edited by kodrac

I have one set of armor put into a legacy bound set that I use to pass back and forth among my same class characters. What you see me wearing is the appearance tab.. If I find something I like I use one of those.. You don't have to rip the mods out of anything for a specific look if that is what you are implying. And you can get a whole look for about the same cost as ripping out one mod. Edited by Tahana

I have one set of armor put into a legacy bound set that I use to pass back and forth among my same class characters. What you see me wearing is the appearance tab.. If I find something I like I use one of those.. You don't have to rip the mods out of anything for a specific look if that is what you are implying. And you can get a whole look for about the same cost as ripping out one mod.

Yes, I do that as well. Several of my toons look very different through the appearance tab. I was talking about being able to swap gear for purposes of set bonuses. The appearance would remain the same. But, for example, my mercenary has a set piece in a slot my commando doesn't. Swapping a piece back and forth allows both to operate with six-piece set bonuses instead of only four-piece.

It has nothing to do with appearance.

It's a bug.

Well, I guess that finishes THIS discussion right quick, hahaha. Thanks for the rundown.

Nice rant though.

Um... thanks, I think :p *chuckles*

Edited by HollyUSEC

It's a bug.
But wasn't that both (a) recent and (b) an incremental increase?

Here's the quoted thread

I think the OP is talking about something larger and not only from that recent bug. If so, some points:

1) Don't they usually increase gear costs massively with tiers at the high end (including removal)?

2) Many have been clamoring for credit sinks since the economy is waaay inlfated

2b) See other recent current sinks such as: Commanding Legacy, Improved Command Experience, Improved Speeder Piloting IV and V, Legacy of Promptness, Commander's Compendium.

Yes, I think they are deliberately adding some credit sinks. I don't have a problem with it.

Edited by DocDAM

Most of us would extract mods and put them into this gear so they could be swapped back and forth between mirrored classes.

I wouldn't sat "most of us" - more like "some of us". :)

Personally, I wouldn't bother to do that. All of my characters have there own set of gear.

It seems to me to be a lot of bother to go through to save a few credits. Remember - credits aren't real, you really can't take them with you. :)

Many of us probably have all the completed sets.

Hahahaha.

I don't have a single completed set of anything. After 2+ years of that nonsense I finally emptied my legacy vault and vendored it all. And still do.

SNIP

The economy hasn't risen that drastically, has it? Our credits rewards for various things like conquest and Ops hasn't risen that drastically-- or has it? (You can probably tell by now that I've been absent from the game for a LONG time, and I'll confirm it here.)

Why is Bioware trying to create such a huge credit sink? Is the entire community being penalized for a few working the GTN so successfully? Are gold farmers responsible for inflating the economy so much?

I think the consensus is those two things (the few GTN whales and gold-farm buyers) and the various exploits that have given billions of credits and Bioware did not act quick enough to get all of them back before they were laundered out (plus the heroics "bug" that apparently had infused billions that were never removed since it wasn't technically an exploit) are the credits Bioware is trying to go after. The problem is that the few people that are gazillionaires from exploits or unintended gaming of the system are gazillionaires because they do not spend their credits or "play the game" and the credit sinks do not hurt them at all.

Credit sinks outside of the GTN tax really only hurt people who are trying to play the game through "normal" (intended) means. LOL at the idea that the GTN whales and gold-farmers/sellers give a flying F that it costs too much to repair gold gear or to rip mods or augment.

I think the consensus is those two things (the few GTN whales and gold-farm buyers) and the various exploits that have given billions of credits and Bioware did not act quick enough to get all of them back before they were laundered out (plus the heroics "bug" that apparently had infused billions that were never removed since it wasn't technically an exploit) are the credits Bioware is trying to go after. The problem is that the few people that are gazillionaires from exploits or unintended gaming of the system are gazillionaires because they do not spend their credits or "play the game" and the credit sinks do not hurt them at all.

Credit sinks outside of the GTN tax really only hurt people who are trying to play the game through "normal" (intended) means. LOL at the idea that the GTN whales and gold-farmers/sellers give a flying F that it costs too much to repair gold gear or to rip mods or augment.

This.

Mod extraction is way too expensive at the minute.

The only types of credit sinks that affectively target whales are vendors with special vanity items that are super rare or are only obtainable from them. They also need to be bound per character and not legacy. Plus they need to be highly sort after by the whales,

Every other credit sink either punishes the ordinary player too much and makes zero difference to the whales. It’s essentially no different to the super rich in real life who get tax breaks or find ways to avoid tax and often pay no tax, while the lower and middle class get slugged paying the most tax and prop up the system and make the super rich, richer.