Problems with SWTOR (Add your opinions)

DarthSealth

The problems I find with SWTOR has to be:

1) Merges that should have been delayed in order to spend the budget else where in the game like engine performance.

2) Content lacking not using *existing* assets e.g. Open world PVP areas in Regs or TR.

3) Stripping abilities and active stances, (Active stances primarily) because now us tanks suffer more with skanking then ever before, DPS using Tank stances never bothered myself because there was no threat generated just the individual losing DPS.

4) Team balance in Regs/TR.

5) Removal of old skill trees.

6) Gear being hamstring by no choice compared to prior gearing at highest rating, a game based on choices with no choice.

7) Companions being bland, too many to name nor remember which after there time in the story is long forgotten, the influence system is terrible (Can’t even apply a stack of gifts to a companion in one click? Is this 1990.) also not to forget the abilities removed.

8) Level lock/sync ruining massive end story content giving anticlimactic results which was never in the vanilla game.

What I would like to see:

Is competitive nature back in PVP without the complainers and a nice new mode like cross server conquest for PVP especially for servers based in similar regions, the possibility to shine for your server or let down your server and not only your team.

The problems I have listed is of my own opinion of course I’d like to see many if not all problems touched upon in the near future.

Compared to some other people, I actually have relatively few complaints about the game. A couple of the main issues that immediately come to mind are the new stories (Kotfe/et) and the lack of challenge in older story content, boss fights to be specific. As you mentioned, major boss fights at key points in the original story completely lack challenge for most players now. It is extremely anti-climactic to be chasing a villain for a long time, only to defeat them in one or two skill rotations.

As for the new story content, I really dislike how non-force using classes feel so out of place (most people already know what I mean by that, so I won’t go too much deeper into it). I do understand that it is significantly faster and cheaper to deliver one story rather than several different class stories, however I still think that the devs could have done a better job with making all classes feel “right” in the new story as a whole.

For the love of the Force...

Can the so-called "black" color on the new hairstyles be fixed? Poop green being passed off as black is not acceptable!

This and lack of story content are my biggest problems with SWTOR right now.

I like black hair, but any new hair is completely unusable because of this exact reason. -_-

I have a few concerns, but most of them are not critical ones. There are those items that I think drive away players, however, that I could mention here.

1) Direct gear for hard content. The command system should be a supplement that mostly focuses on casual players. I have posted recommended changes in the past, and will not repeat them here.

2) A better F2P system. This system is far to punitive compared to others on the market, and needs an overhaul. The devs, IMO, should review other successful programs and institute changes accordingly.

3) A pass on recent expansion content to ensure that it can be done with a group.

4) A pass on ALL dailies to remove bottlenecks, inconsistency, etc.

5) The addition of a subscription reward system that grants rewards for every 90 days of subscribed time.

6) Hard mode for level sync that caps you two levels lower than normal cap.

Naturally there is a need for content, but I will let others expound on that in this thread.

Edited by LordArtemis

I think this is a very interesting approach actually. This is definitely one of the better ideas I've read on this forum because it will actually have an effect and it's something that would be easier to implement than a lot of other ideas.

I would recommend some form of reward increase for doing this (like an xp boost and improved quest rewards) as I feel people should feel encouraged to try this setting and it shouldn't be available till at least level 10.

I think this is a very interesting approach actually. This is definitely one of the better ideas I've read on this forum because it will actually have an effect and it's something that would be easier to implement than a lot of other ideas.

I would recommend some form of reward increase for doing this (like an xp boost and improved quest rewards) as I feel people should feel encouraged to try this setting and it shouldn't be available till at least level 10.

Absolutely. I would recommend that they bonus both XP and credits, and perhaps even improve drops if folks were willing to set this difficulty setting.

The Theron and Lana show.

Long content draughts.

BW being too secretive about their upcoming plans. It still bugs me how WoW gets information about their expansions a year in advance, while we get it slightly before release. 😐

Agree. Though they are beging secretive because nothing grand is in the works...its just another 2017 as far as content goes. WoW is on a different level, but sadly it aint Star Wars, so it does not appeal ot me.

Edited by ExarSun

Agreed

Long content draughts.
Agreed

BW being too secretive about their upcoming plans. It still bugs me how WoW gets information about their expansions a year in advance, while we get it slightly before release. 😐
Agreed, but of course WoW expansions are 20 times bigger than SWTOR expansions, so SWTOR does need to keep the time window for thinking about it and being disappointed about it a lot smaller. On the other hand, it could've avoided situations like Galactic Command and the subsequent fall-out.

The turnaround for this game can only be done if it becomes a proper MMO, and that can achieve only if like the rest of popular MMO-s has a focus on the story and single player content mainly with each new expansion and the leveling part of the content, and through the expansions on MMO part of the content ( group orientated ) which should be updated in a regular basis and in a decent amount ( Instead of releasing 1-2 new raid bosses per year and a raid in a unfinished state it should release every few months full fleshed one with around 8-9 bosses. A good idea for example would be to add what Blizzard did in WoW with mythic dungeons which has proven to be a success and that is a way for master flashpoints to scale in the many different difficulties and in hardest ones reward a gear which is comparable with raiding one for the people which prefer small group content over raiding ). Because the story content for most part can hardly manage to keep players entertained for a longer periods ( since a lot of them finish it, see all what's in it and get done with it ) but repeatable group challenging content can.... Edited by Lunablade

I have a few concerns, but most of them are not critical ones. There are those items that I think drive away players, however, that I could mention here.

1) Direct gear for hard content. The command system should be a supplement that mostly focuses on casual players. I have posted recommended changes in the past, and will not repeat them here.

2) A better F2P system. This system is far to punitive compared to others on the market, and needs an overhaul. The devs, IMO, should review other successful programs and institute changes accordingly.

3) A pass on recent expansion content to ensure that it can be done with a group.

4) A pass on ALL dailies to remove bottlenecks, inconsistency, etc.

5) The addition of a subscription reward system that grants rewards for every 90 days of subscribed time.

Naturally there is a need for content, but I will let others expound on that in this thread.

OOOooohhh nice list. :D

As a solo player, I'd also ask for solo mode for the remaining FPs and Uprisings. I'm so bored of the current soloable FPs, and wish I had more to choose from.

Before anyone chews my head off and tells me to just group up, err, no thanks. After years of regularly scheduled raids and lots of group content I played in WoW, I have come to enjoy the freedom of being able to take a break when I want to without having to take into account other people. :)

1) Merges that should have been delayed in order to spend the budget else where in the game like engine performance.

2) Content lacking not using *existing* assets e.g. Open world PVP areas in Regs or TR.

3) Stripping abilities and active stances, (Active stances primarily) because now us tanks suffer more with skanking then ever before, DPS using Tank stances never bothered myself because there was no threat generated just the individual losing DPS.

6) Gear being hamstring by no choice compared to prior gearing at highest rating, a game based on choices with no choice.

7) Companions being bland, too many to name nor remember which after there time in the story is long forgotten, the influence system is terrible (Can’t even apply a stack of gifts to a companion in one click? Is this 1990.) also not to forget the abilities removed.

8) Level lock/sync ruining massive end story content giving anticlimactic results which was never in the vanilla game.

What I would like to see:

Is competitive nature back in PVP without the complainers and a nice new mode like cross server conquest for PVP especially for servers based in similar regions, the possibility to shine for your server or let down your server and not only your team.

The problems I have listed is of my own opinion of course I’d like to see many if not all problems touched upon in the near future.

Agree 100% with everything. But most of the things never gonna happen. Engine performance? Waiting 6 years for that :p

Merges that should have been delayed in order to spend the budget else where in the game like engine performance.

:rak_02: They were a year too late. And to delay them longer for engine changes? It's been six years. It's not happening.

Edited by kodrac

The story - Aside from the betrayals and impotently raging around being betrayed or rolling over in submission and forgiving the betrayal the story in general isn't very good. The more the player is portrayed as The Chosen One or the only person that can sand up to the Eternal Empire or commander of the most powerful fleet, the more ridiculous is becomes. If your not capable of telling that story because of budget reasons don't go there as this chosen one is then dictated to at every step and any choices are mostly ignored. While the power of the eternal fleet is non existent as the ships are all parked up somewhere while you take on companion on a flashpoint. Its got to the point that none of it makes any sense and the story ignores everything that has happened to focus on one flashpoint.

The Game Engine and Combat - The game should look and feel like Star Wars, if your a jedi swinging a lightsaber it should feel like your a jedi swinging a lightsaber, or an agent taking aim with a sniper rifle. Instead the game is about managing cool downs and getting that rotation off. As it stands dps is only ever harmed by reacting to in game changes and the best way to get top dps is to use it against a target dummy, there is nothing dynamic or responsive in combat, you can get that head shot off if its not on cool down and has nothing to do with responding to getting the drop on someone. There appear to be no features such as stealth or open world exploration.

The Game World and Environment - There is almost no environment, no night day, no swimming, limited weather effects etc. While any NPCs in the game world are static and don't respond in anyway to the players proximity unless they are hostile and attack. The game appears to be a lobby between instanced content only there is not nearly enough content.

Content and communication - A lack of content and communication over the last year.

Long content draughts.

That's my list as well.

I think my 'problems' stem from more environment things. For me I get hung up on details that just make me crazy.

1. Come on and revamp the crafting window it is ridiculous! I'm sick of having to scroll to find what I want. It needs better organization.

2. Definitely need the Black Hair fixed, but also I said it before and I will say it again we need MORE customization opportunities, MORE Alien Customization Features, and MORE DYE OPTIONS!

3. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, MAKE SPEICES CHOICE MATTER! I'm sick of not being acknowledged as a Cathar!

4. The SH Decorations need more furnishings, more plants (like the peacock ferns on Rakata Prime more colors, more textures, JUST MORE! And for Cryin' out loud REMOVE THE HOOK LIMIT!

5. I also want more from my companions! More conversations, more influence opportunities, and more to do with ALL of them.

Finally, give us more ornate lightsaber designs!

I think my 'problems' stem from more environment things. For me I get hung up on details that just make me crazy.

1. Come on and revamp the crafting window it is ridiculous! I'm sick of having to scroll to find what I want. It needs better organization.

2. Definitely need the Black Hair fixed, but also I said it before and I will say it again we need MORE customization opportunities, MORE Alien Customization Features, and MORE DYE OPTIONS!

3. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, MAKE SPEICES CHOICE MATTER! I'm sick of not being acknowledged as a Cathar!

4. The SH Decorations need more furnishings, more plants (like the peacock ferns on Rakata Prime more colors, more textures, JUST MORE! And for Cryin' out loud REMOVE THE HOOK LIMIT!

5. I also want more from my companions! More conversations, more influence opportunities, and more to do with ALL of them.

Well they're all good points in my view.

In no particular order (numbered just for organizational purposes)

1. The Content Drought - It has now been a year and a half since KoTET released and we've gotten very little in the way of story progression since. The last complete Operation to release was in 2013. When is the last time GSF got some love?

2. KotFE and KoTET were major disappointments - Most players wanted a traditional Star Wars story, not one that almost seems to contradict the established lore of the universe by having Jedi and Sith discover the power of friendship.

3. One Story to Rule Them All and in the Darkness Bore Them - See #2. The disappearance of both individual class stories and separate faction stories is a major letdown.

4. The Cartel Market being prioritized over just about every other aspect of the game - EA is gonna EA, I guess.

5. Lack of anything resembling matchmaking for PVP - No one finds lop-sided matches where one team absolutely demolishes the other because only one of the two has healers & tanks thrilling, except for perhaps the most tryhard of premaders.

6. Old class and planetary content is now too easy - Creating new characters to replay the class story isn't fun when your companion can solo the entire thing.

7. Original companions still being missing in action over two years since KOTFE released. See #2.

8. Too much Theron & Lana. See #s 2 and 7.

9. Underwhelming events - Could Life Day be any more bare bones? Other MMOs do this better.

10. The gear grind.

11. Crafting being very bare bones so as not to compete with Cartel Market items. See #4.

12. Strongholds being very poorly supported - There are not nearly enough decos in the game leading to a situation where you'll have something like one couch being listed for 3 million credits. If you want to fully decorate a Stronghold and have it look like something other than complete garbage, be prepared to spend double-digit millions at minimum. They should be more accessible to the average player.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

There are plenty of problems, I'm not going to cut down that many virtual trees to list them, but instead just list my biggest problem:

PROBLEM: I'm wondering when SWTOR will be out of alpha phase (pre-beta). Meaning, why do we have 800 billion bugs on a subscription based published game. I played the leading MMO (which will remain namless) for a few years. In those years how many bugs did I find? 1 BUG and it was a visual bug that didn't affect anything. As we know that MMO is huge compared to this one (and staff too, yes I know). Smaller staff doesn't translate into 800 billion more bugs I think.

This^ and:

- RNG aspect of GC needs a lot of work

- Presence needs a toggle due to the overwhelming boost it gives companions now

- Mentioned in another thread, but: Class stories and Exploration quests needs a CXP increase

Other than that, I have no complaints.

*On a side note, I deleted my Kotfe/Kotet/etc. character and will no longer play any content after SoR.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

Definitely disagree with this. Merges should have happened sooner, not been delayed longer. My understanding is that it will be virtually impossible to change the Engine without also, throwing out the whole game. It's like... when your computer gets so old, you can't make it faster by adding more RAM because all your slots are full... and also, they no longer make Ram that's compatible with the dinosaur on your desk.

Having said that.... I really feel like the majority of my complaints with SWTOR center on how buggy and aggravating the game is. Interfaces that make me want to slap someone, or graphic bugs that just shouldn't exist now... or how the Conquest/Stronghold banner will still perma-lock to my screen. And... I'm not a fan of the Zakuul expansions. I don't know how SWTOR is going to get back to a Story that... doesn't suck.

I'm ready for SWTOR 2.0

I'd like to see this. I don't PvP at all, but if I'm doing PvE content, and I want to play a DPS Vanguard or Assassin in a "tanky" way, or be in a position where I can off-tank for a Group -or, heck, maybe even main-tank a Storymode Flashpoint, why shouldn't I?

Again, I don't PvP, but I do fly GSF... and when two premade groups of four get thrown against a mash of solo-queued players of disparate skill levels, it gets real ugly, real fast. Better balancing algorithms is what is needed to keep these slaughters from occurring.

Each of my characters gets a unique companion that I'm going to try to keep unique to them, which solves a lot of that problem... but, also, the Companion system needs work... both to bring back variety to different companions, and also to fix utterly broken companions with bugged abilities (I paid a million bucks for Treek, and she's completely sub-par).

Level sync is necessary to the way the game has gone... but I'm completely in agreement that it was done poorly.

TIP: If you're finding a fight too challenging, buff your stats with a stim!

...except, no fights are too challenging anymore, because you're level-synced 2 levels above the content.

...and stims no longer work outside of max-level game play. If you're synced down, your stats are hard capped.

1. The Content Drought - It has now been a year and a half since KoTET released and we've gotten very little in the way of story progression since. The last complete Operation to release was in 2013. When is the last time GSF got some love?
Content for sure. As much as I'm not a fan of the current story, we can't get through it if they won't tell it.

...FYI GSF got a new map in 5.6 and major updates to game-play in 5.5, it's been pretty good.

2. KotFE and KoTET were major disappointments - Most players wanted a traditional Star Wars story, not one that almost seems to contradict the established lore of the universe by having Jedi and Sith discover the power of friendship.
I don't necessarily have a problem with Jedi and Sith being able to cooperate with each other... but aside from that, the Zakuul expansions can't be forgotten fast enough for my money.

3. One Story to Rule Them All and in the Darkness Bore Them - See #2. The disappearance of both individual class stories and separate faction stories is a major letdown.
Class stories straight up went away after Corellia... but at least Shadow of Revan brough class specific missions, as a nod to who our characters were, and where they came from.

4. The Cartel Market being prioritized over just about every other aspect of the game - EA is gonna EA, I guess.
Yup. Game updates may be lacking in story, or fixes, or quality of life advancements... but we always get a Cartel Pack.

5. Lack of anything resembling matchmaking for PVP - No one finds lop-sided matches where one team absolutely demolishes the other because only one of the two has healers & tanks thrilling, except for perhaps the most tryhard of premaders.
As above. Don't PvP, but team mismatches in GSF aren't even vaguely fun, probably not for anyone involved.

6. Old class and planetary content is now too easy - Creating new characters to replay the class story isn't fun when your companion can solo the entire thing.
Level Sync was poorly done.

7. Original companions still being missing in action over two years since KOTFE released. See #2.
Not just that... but the specific companions that are still missing are quite shocking. A lot of really important Companions are still in the wind; love interests and companions that were core to a class's main story.

8. Too much Theron & Lana. See #s 2 and 7.
A couple of Mary Sues that are really exciting to someone who writes the stories... but not everyone (ME FOR EXAMPLE) particularly likes either of them. This seems especially true of Lana (YOU MUST LOVE HER!!!!!) (I really, kinda, don't care for her, or her weird squinchy eyes).

9. Underwhelming events - Could Life Day be any more bare bones? Other MMOs do this better.

12. Strongholds being very poorly supported - There are not nearly enough decos in the game leading to a situation where you'll have something like one couch being listed for 3 million credits. If you want to fully decorate a Stronghold and have it look like something other than complete garbage, be prepared to spend double-digit millions at minimum. They should be more accessible to the average player.
There are literally hundreds of suggested decoration additions to the game, many of which are things that are already in game. I'm disappointed how many of these should be in game, but aren't. Make'em cartel market items if you must... but let us have them.

...at the same time, I feel like there are a bunch of items that require Certificates or Higher-Level constructed prefabs to get, that should be available for credits.

Again, for me.... most of my SWTOR complaints tend to point to "it's time for the [sWTOR] ... to end." And, be replaced with a new game, on a new engine, of course. :p