Weapons to outfit designer

Brendon_Da_Boss

• 2 months later...
Adding weapons to outfit design was mentioned quite a while ago yet we havent seen any sign of it. I thought it was coming soon but I dont see that happening any time soon at all. ;(

NO.

NOT.

IN.

OUTFIT.

DESIGNER.

In a separate feature that's *like* outfit designer, but for weapons, so I can select the two kinds of look independently of each other.

Yes, please BioWare/EA. There are so many rad looking weapons that are rendered obsolete after only a short period of time. Along with this, I'd like to see us be able to equip any sort of weapon (if you're a ranged class you will obviously have to stick to ranged weapons, though.) I know, some abilities may look weird but I honestly wouldn't care lmao.

Yes, please BioWare/EA. There are so many rad looking weapons that are rendered obsolete after only a short period of time. Along with this, I'd like to see us be able to equip any sort of weapon (if you're a ranged class you will obviously have to stick to ranged weapons, though.) I know, some abilities may look weird but I honestly wouldn't care lmao.

No, it won't work like that. You'd be able to reskin a pistol into another pistol, not a pistol into an assault cannon. Or a lightsaber into a blaster rifle.

Adding weapons to outfit design was mentioned quite a while ago yet we havent seen any sign of it. I thought it was coming soon but I dont see that happening any time soon at all. ;(

I remember They said "probably not in 2017". You can try find a post, i bet it was Eric.

We’ve been discussing this one a lot recently, and we’re working on how we could fit it into the schedule for this year. Once that gets firmed up we’ll let y’all know.

~ Charles Boyd

And later was something like "Probably not in this year" if im not wrong.

Edited by tummiswtor

• 4 months later...
Not going to happen.

Even if they add weapons to outfit designer - it will be weapons for character class.

You mean because of PvP. Hm. Since the freedom of appearance for the characters has been greatly increased one should actually go with the class icons rather than the look of the enemies. However, I wouldn't mind if appearance tabs were prohibited in PvP altogether, i.e. regardless of what the player says, in PvP the actual gear is always displayed, no matter what it looks like.

I would say that following replacements would be unproblematic:

a) Techblades and lightsabers

b) Techstaffs and double bladed lightsabers.

There are situations were I would wish more, I wish troopers and Imperial Agents could use pistols.

The most prominent example is twi'lek troopers and imperial agents. The weapon's pummel constantly clips through the head tails when the character runs and that right in the center of the screen, where it can't be overlooked. That's also a problem for Force using twi'lek, because the training lightsabers clip through the lekku as well, even though it's not quite as obvious. The only time I ever actually changed the species of one of my characters was my twi'lek trooper. Zenith, the consular companion from Balmorra, has the same problem, but it's not quite as painful to look at, because the camera perspective does not emphasise the problem in the same way as on the player character.

In cutscenes however, imperial agent generally use a pistol that happens to appear at their hip, even though they can't use pistols. Same goes for troopers I think. Even my sniper, with her customized rifle and carefully selected colour crystal did not use it to shoot Valkorian, but the default pistol that happened to appear out of nothing. (Then again... I don't quite remember where the weapon came from in the first place in the scene... we had fallen unconscious, obviously medically treated, chained and they left us the weapon? Or did Arcann give it to us? Fully assembled sniper rifles and assault cannons are notoriously difficult to hide in the outfit Arcann had at the time.)

It would not be that big a leap if they could actually use a pistol.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

You mean because of PvP. Hm. Since the freedom of appearance for the characters has been greatly increased one should actually go with the class icons rather than the look of the enemies. However, I wouldn't mind if appearance tabs were prohibited in PvP altogether, i.e. regardless of what the player says, in PvP the actual gear is always displayed, no matter what it looks like.

People are forgetting a notable complication that does not apply to armor ----> class specific combat animations.. which in a lot of cases ARE tuned to a particular weapon type. Probably not a problem if they keep a weapon designer function to work only for the same weapon class equipped (even though some classes have access to multiple weapon styles).

The other complicating factor is the adventurous kids who want to play a Gunslinger and cosmetically wield two assault cannons. What restrictions, and how they are applied, needs to be worked out here or we have total chaos.

Note: I am not saying it's not a good idea, or that it is not something a lot of players would like.. I am simply pointing out why this is not some slam dunk you can implement with a blind folded intern punching in code changes.

Edited by Andryah

Exactly. And I'd be cool with that.

But, yeah, don't expect to see a bounty hunter holding a lightsaber any time soon.

That's obviously impossible. There are no animations and particle effects that would work for that.

With my suggestion that it would be nice to have a single one pistol permitted as replacement weapon for imperial agent and troopers, I assume they borrow the needed animations and particle effects from bounty hunters and smugglers.

The actual problem is the clipping problem with head tails in those classes. I'd be happy with a solution that enables them to just carry their weapon in a way that it doesn't clip.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

That's obviously impossible. There are no animations and particle effects that would work for that.

With my suggestion that it would be nice to have a single one pistol permitted as replacement weapon for imperial agent and troopers, I assume they borrow the needed animations and particle effects from bounty hunters and smugglers.

Really? Which BH or Smuggler animation do you borrow for Boltstorm?

I can't see such a feature being built except with a restriction that the displayed weapon and the wielded weapon being of the same type (possibly with exceptions for Vibrosword/Singlesabre and Electrostaff/Dualsabre), and if the outfit weapon and wielded weapon don't match (you wield a rifle, embed a rifle look, then wield a cannon, say), the look switches to the wielded weapon.

And I fully expect that they will do the stupid and embed the weapon-look slot(s) in Outfit Designer rather than in a system of separate tabs.

Really? Which BH or Smuggler animation do you borrow for Boltstorm?

I can't see such a feature being built except with a restriction that the displayed weapon and the wielded weapon being of the same type (possibly with exceptions for Vibrosword/Singlesabre and Electrostaff/Dualsabre), and if the outfit weapon and wielded weapon don't match (you wield a rifle, embed a rifle look, then wield a cannon, say), the look switches to the wielded weapon.

Hm. We'll see.

What I expect to be the most simple solution (aside from wish to solve certain clipping problems and my hatred for the animation for "Tactical Surge" of the tactics vanguard, which really looks and sounds like a weapon malfunction rather than an attack), is that an appearance replacement can contain any visible weapon or combination thereof, that the character could actually equip.

E.g. a jedi shadow can use a single blade lightsaber in an appearance replacement, a commando can use an assault rifle instead of an assault cannon in an replacement slot.

But that means you're actually switching to a weapon of that kind (which also means you can't do it in combat, because you're actually changing equipment) with the base stats of the actually equipped weapon, but the appearance and derived stats (such as primary weapon damage) of the apparent weapon. The side effect of that would be that a weapon is not merely imprinted into an outfit slot, it must actually be put in there. The colour crystal used for colour is the one in the weapon on the character sheet, but the colour crystal in the appearance is used for display)

Examples

Iif a jedi shadow uses the appearance of a single blade lightsaber, they can only use the abilities that do not require a double blade lightsaber, and their base damage is lowered because the same item rating yields a lower primary weapon damage with a single blade lightsaber, as opposed to a double blade lightsaber.

However, if they equip an electrostaff, it won't make a difference as far as stats and available abilities. Some animatioins are slightly different, though. (All electrostaffs I know attach to the back at the right shoulder, whereas most, but not all, double blade lightsabers attach to the left hip)

If my vigilance guardian switches to the appearance of the attuned lightsaber from the story line (which she might, she it actually fits some of her outfits), she actually equips it and gains the abilities that come with it (which usually is an obstacle, since it clutters the active effects of the weapon, unless you're actually fighting Arcann.) Conversely, if she has the attuned lightsaber equipped on the character sheet, but uses the appearance of a different weapon, the special effects of the attuned lightsaber are not available when she is indeed fighting Arcann.

And I fully expect that they will do the stupid and embed the weapon-look slot(s) in Outfit Designer rather than in a system of separate tabs.

To put a slot into the existing appearance tabs seems to be the most straightforward thing to do, I haven't thought of keeping it separate yet. For most cases it would be sufficient though. I think of primary weapons. The separate weapon appearance slots you suggest do have certain advantages from Bioware's point of view. They can demand cartel coins for them if you wish to unlock them legacy wide.

I wonder how folks would like colour crystals to be handled. There is the possibility that a weapon used in an appearance slot (regardless of whether there are separate weapon appearance slots or whether the existing appearance tabs are used) is a different slot in the respective appearance tab, or whether one must actually put the weapon there rather than imprint it.

If the latter were the case that would make the system simpler, but unique weapons from the story line, such as the aforementioned attuned lightsaber, but also any weapon from the class story, could be used only once in an appearance slot. Even if weapon appearance slots were different from clothing appearance slots, that would imply some limitations: You could not use the same weapon with two different colour crystals. The additional slots could work like the system to switch dyes on apparel, though. As opposed to dyes, colour crystals are not used up on fitting them into a slot, though, but they can be removed for a fee. Not sure about tunings, never used one.

The imprint system would mean six different slots for a dual wielder, of course. Main hand and off hand weapon and the respective colour crystals and the respective tunings.

I suspect that you won't be able to just imprint the weapon as with the clothing appearance slot and then switch colour crystals and tunings as you would switch dyes on apparel, but you the colour crystal and tuning in the weapon is used.

Edited by Rabenschwinge