SWTOR Customer Service - Let's talk about it

lironBD

Note: this is not a personal request for help or anything just talking about the quality of the customer service.

Dear SWTOR players,

I would like to share my opinion and ask you about yours regarding the SWTOR customer service.

I myself used to work on a customer service (ISP) and I'm currently playing another game (Eve Online) to compare it's customer service with that of SWTOR.

First of all let's speak about the fact that if you do not have an active subscription to the game you cannot:

1. post in the official forums.

2. open a ticket.

Now, what is the point of denying people access to the games forums? what if people require help before they buy the game? what about people which purchased the game before it gone f2p or playing f2p and purchased from cartel market items.... or *shock* give f2p players which do not pay a cent a good service! amazing.. is it possible?

Next is the fact that the only way to open a ticket (a.k.a. Contact via eMail) is only available through in game menu. why it is not available from the website itself? I mean, what if a player has a problem running the game and he want to contact in the proper channel giving all needed data or report some bug etc... cannot be done unless inside the game and have active subscription.

Then we get to the online technical page, when you get an error code it should be on the product(game) database of technical support. Try to search 4001 on the tech support page.. no results. Why to give the code if I need to google online in hope to find a solution to my problem instead of just going to the tech support page, typing the code on search.. no result.

About the tech support forums, instead of just give a good service the tech support staff there not only they hide their contact information (can not send personal message), they do not answer in 80% of the topics there and if they do it's mostly a copy\paste block or "speak with phone support".

which leads to the phone support, They give a free international call option via Skype so positive points there but... god... they are so slow. 40-60 minutes on hold until you get someone. then if you had bad luck and need to be transferred another hour of hold... my record is 3 hours and 40 minutes! waiting on the line.

In the end we need to realize that this is a product which most of us bought (Old school boxed game license) and paying for subscription each month or paying via micro-purchase through cartel store and customer service is one of the most basic things that they should provide in this situation.

To compare some of the problems mentioned here I'll give some examples...

on Eve online which I play regularly you can post on the forums with or without sub, you got in game rookie chat channel, you get in game ticket system and out of game ENTIRE SUPPORT WEBSITE where you can manage account\open tickets\get help etc, you got entire wiki website with detailed information of all items in game, devs and GM will help you on in game channels and on forums + they have entire program of making vet players as certified support to help new players as well.

Regarding phone support where I used to work you could leave a message on the company website or on the phone after identifying yourself in the automated system (could be done in swtor with code given online like paypal does) and then a support personal will call you back ones available and your turn on the line arrived.

Last I'll end with the fact that as mass effect 3 multiplayer veteran I'm amazed by the fact that the ME3 multiplayer team can give awesome service\play with the players\give awesome content and weekly events\balance updates while here on SWTOR section of bioware the customer service is horrible.

Thanks for reading,

Thoughts?

Thankfully I haven't had to use CS in some time, it was just before they ditched the toll free number tHe last time I needed to. But the times I did, it was epically horrible. No one was rude or anything, but if I was lucky enough to talk to anyone, they couldn't help me and would have to kick me up the food chain, which is a guarantee of a multi hour wait.

And if I submitted a ticket it would be closed with no explanation and I would get the extra unhelpful M0-T0 email.

I just continue to play with the hope of never needing them again. If I do, I will probably just stop playing altogether.

First of all let's speak about the fact that if you do not have an active subscription to the game you cannot:

2. open a ticket.

Now, what is the point of denying people access to the games forums? what if people require help before they buy the game? what about people which purchased the game before it gone f2p or playing f2p and purchased from cartel market items.... or *shock* give f2p players which do not pay a cent a good service! amazing.. is it possible?

4 comments:

1) what I quoted above is false context, being as you are a subscriber and are posting in the forums here.

In other words, if you want to have a productive discussion about customer support, which I am fine with and encourage, then don't start off the discussion with a strawman.

2) the times I have required customer support, the service has been both professional and timely. Comparable to other MMOs I have played to be honest. Not instantaneous (which is an unreasonable expectation), but timely... and accurate. Only one time did I get inaccurate support, and that was resolved by simply stating so and asking for corrective action.

3) I acknowledge that after the F2P go live date, customer support was indeed crushed by a huge influx of new players needing support, particularly phone support. But that appears to be settling down now and they are implementing a number of self-help capabilities to further improve on this.

4) if you did not catch the posts by Phillp last week in the thread about change to login.... then you missed the fact that they are in the process of implementing new "self-help" features for SWTOR. You know.. things you used to have to have live support to address will now be able to be handled by you, by simply logging in to your account on SWTOR (something everyone can do, including free and freemium players.

Edited by Andryah

4 comments:

1) what I quoted above is false context, being as you are a subscriber and are posting in the forums here.

In other words, if you want to have a productive discussion about customer support, which I am fine with and encourage, then don't start off the discussion with a strawman.

how is it false?

please open a new f2p account and try to post on the forums or open a ticket. can you?

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. When I had an issue with my account, I was able to call them up, be on hold for less than 10 minutes, then got a live person on the phone who worked with me.

We weren't able to fix it right then, but he put me back on hold, escalated the call and less than five mins later, I had a tech guy on the phone who made everything right within 2 mins.

And this was a free to play account, less than 2 months ago.

Now, as for why F2P accounts can't post and/or open a ticket...I'd say that they'd rather not see the forums overloaded with people complaining about not getting stuff that they, logically speaking, should know that they don't access to, due to their F2P status.

That's just my guess.

I'm happy that F2Pers(not counting preferred players) can't post on the forums. If they could my bet is this forum would be filled with spam. Almost every other forum I have been to has a horrible problem with spam bots posting adds for gold sites and everything else under the moon. Edited by Radzkie

I've encountered quite a number of times where I've received answers to tickets (after a delay of days) that didn't apply to my ticket AT ALL. I'd say over half the tickets I've put in have resulted in this kind of response. On rare occasions I've been impressed - quick responses from pleasant people who knew what they were doing and resolved the issue, but it's a complete crapshoot when you put in a ticket.

Phone support I avoid because of the wait times, but on the rare occasion I've had to use it, I haven't been overly impressed, especially when I compare it to the phone support I've received from Blizzard which has consistently been good - short wait times, very knowledgeable and efficient personnel.

I can see some of the pitfalls by letting f2p put in tickets or use the forums, but there really should be a more efficient way for f2p to get service. I'm hoping these self-service things Philip was talking about will address those types of issues.

I started a new account because as a returning subscriber, I was on hold for 2 frakking hours on a Tuesday trying to get the security key taken off my account. I hung up. The very next day, a Wednesday, I called again. Again, I was on hold for 2 frakking hours before I hung up. That is their wonderful customer service.

Another example: I had an account issue, believe password, and called CS, They answered right away but told me that I had to send in a copy of my driver's license to prove that it was me. I called again and was told that no one told me to send them a copy of my driver's license. As the customer, I was the liar not their CS person who told me that and I will say that the CS manager argued with me for 10 minutes about how no one told me that. That is their wonderful customer service.

I love the game but I agree completely with the OP. Their CS needs a lot of revamping.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

ok that's weird and sucks.

they used to have a free call via Skype but now the tech support forum moderator sent me to call them on the phone for an issue I have yet the free phone number is gone.

now I need to set my local country (they ask me to fake my address on skype) to United Kingdom then call them on international line.

I'm sorry but calling from where I live to the UK will cost me like month sub... it's absurd!

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/5200

Please be aware that you can also use VoIP services (like Skype, Viber, Google Voice etc.) to call our Customer Service team, no matter what country you are calling from. International calls made using VoIP are generally substantially less expensive than calls made from a mobile phone or landline.

For telephone support in English, simply open the VoIP program of your choice, set your country to the UK and dial 0203 564 5481 to speak to a Customer Service Agent.

For French telephone support with VoIP services, set your location to France and dial (0157) 324 728, and for German phone support through VoIP set your location to Germany and dial (06999) 991 5590.

anyone still got the free to call phone number?

I quit the game 2 months after release because of horrible customer service.

The things you're talking about, as far as the quality of actual service that you get, wait times, and all that, are affected by cost, and they could justify that YOU get what THEY pay for, and it's not much. We can argue back and forth; I'd like to see an improvement in the quality and a reduction in the wait times, but that's ultimately a business decision that we'll have no say in.

But their in-game ticket system is horrible, too. You open a ticket, and it has a ticket number. But, once the level 1 techs look at it and categorize it into whatever category it belongs in, get this, they give it a different ticket number and CLOSE your ticket. And the new (categorized) ticket is invisible to us users; it's only visible to devs and other internal EA/Bioware departments. The customer does not get to see what else happens, where their ticket is going, comments, anything. The ticket system is designed for EA/Bioware use only, NOT for customer use.

If you're comparing to EVE, their system is: your ticket stays open and CSR's add comments and info, and you can add comments and more info, and eventually once a resolution is reached and consensus that the matter is resolved, they close the ticket.

All of my customer service interactions over the phone have been VERY positive. The only down side I have ever experienced over the phone is that sometimes the waits are a little long. Once I have spoken to an agent personally the process moves very quickly and everything gets taken care of. My only negative about customer service is the in game tickets. I rarely submit bug reports because I assume most of the issues are on my end (either lag, video driver, etc.) When I do submit an actual ticket more times than not it gets closed with no response. That's just kind of frustrating. I understand I am not going to get a personal message but don't close the ticket unless there is a solution being distributed. In my mind closing the ticket means the problem is resolved, if it truly was resolved tell me that or if it is not solved at least paste in a message "Known Bug, is being corrected in future patch" Edited by theborch

Very fast CS responses for me 99% of the time.

Only the one time that I needed to call CS...well after 3 hours to just do a 10 minute task and being put on hold so someone from another country can try to talk / understand me was...meh.

I give TOR's an 8/10.

If you want really bad CS, go to STO's where you will never get help.

how is it false?

please open a new f2p account and try to post on the forums or open a ticket. can you?

It's false precisely because you personally are posting... so you are strawmaning for Free players as your first complaint, yet you are not a Free player. Why not just stick to personal experience, like I did in my post? You implied you wanted to discuss customer support in yoru title, not roll out a laundry list of complaints on behalf of other players.

You can in fact open tickets inside your account page (and/or via email) if I recall correctly, as well as in game tickets. You just cannot post on the customer support forums. And as far as I am concerned, a Free player should not get priority support.

Personally I would give Free players a subforum they can post in, but that's me. Some MMOs do this, some do not.

Edited by Andryah

Note: this is not a personal request for help or anything just talking about the quality of the customer service.

Dear SWTOR players,

I would like to share my opinion and ask you about yours regarding the SWTOR customer service.

I myself used to work on a customer service (ISP) and I'm currently playing another game (Eve Online) to compare it's customer service with that of SWTOR.

2. open a ticket.

Next is the fact that the only way to open a ticket (a.k.a. Contact via eMail) is only available through in game menu. why it is not available from the website itself? I mean, what if a player has a problem running the game and he want to contact in the proper channel giving all needed data or report some bug etc... cannot be done unless inside the game and have active subscription.

Then we get to the online technical page, when you get an error code it should be on the product(game) database of technical support. Try to search 4001 on the tech support page.. no results. Why to give the code if I need to google online in hope to find a solution to my problem instead of just going to the tech support page, typing the code on search.. no result.

About the tech support forums, instead of just give a good service the tech support staff there not only they hide their contact information (can not send personal message), they do not answer in 80% of the topics there and if they do it's mostly a copy\paste block or "speak with phone support".

which leads to the phone support, They give a free international call option via Skype so positive points there but... god... they are so slow. 40-60 minutes on hold until you get someone. then if you had bad luck and need to be transferred another hour of hold... my record is 3 hours and 40 minutes! waiting on the line.

In the end we need to realize that this is a product which most of us bought (Old school boxed game license) and paying for subscription each month or paying via micro-purchase through cartel store and customer service is one of the most basic things that they should provide in this situation.

To compare some of the problems mentioned here I'll give some examples...

on Eve online which I play regularly you can post on the forums with or without sub, you got in game rookie chat channel, you get in game ticket system and out of game ENTIRE SUPPORT WEBSITE where you can manage account\open tickets\get help etc, you got entire wiki website with detailed information of all items in game, devs and GM will help you on in game channels and on forums + they have entire program of making vet players as certified support to help new players as well.

Regarding phone support where I used to work you could leave a message on the company website or on the phone after identifying yourself in the automated system (could be done in swtor with code given online like paypal does) and then a support personal will call you back ones available and your turn on the line arrived.

Last I'll end with the fact that as mass effect 3 multiplayer veteran I'm amazed by the fact that the ME3 multiplayer team can give awesome service\play with the players\give awesome content and weekly events\balance updates while here on SWTOR section of bioware the customer service is horrible.

Thanks for reading,

Thoughts?

I've only had to use customer service a couple of times. It was a bit slow to my mind but that was the only real issue I had with it. Small sample size so I can't say with any confidence that my experience was typical.

Having said that, the OP looks to be nothing more than a veiled attempt to garner sympathy for perceived horrible customer service (which it might be). I guess misery really does love company.

I've only had to use customer service a couple of times. It was a bit slow to my mind but that was the only real issue I had with it. Small sample size so I can't say with any confidence that my experience was typical.

Having said that, the OP looks to be nothing more than a veiled attempt to garner sympathy for perceived horrible customer service (which it might be). I guess misery really does love company.

I can't speak for the OP, but I posted not to gain sympathy, but in the hopes that the community team would let the people who run the show know that there are issues on the customer service side of things, and hopefully we would see some improvements down the line.

I can't speak for the OP, but I posted not to gain sympathy, but in the hopes that the community team would let the people who run the show know that there are issues on the customer service side of things, and hopefully we would see some improvements down the line.

I agree +1

Agree, it is horrible.

Not according to these guys.

Apparently, they haven't been to the customer service forum to see the many complaints for the lack of good service.

Many times, you have to wait forever to receive a response. Then to top it off, at times the response they give you has nothing to do with your complaint or they'll ask you for information that was already included in your initial complaint.

Edited by RikHar

• 5 years later...
I cannot believe I've been waiting all this time after talking to phone support about my inability to PAY to renew my subscription. WT-actaul-F is going on, EA? I've never had so much trouble trying to GIVE someone money in my life!