Bluescreen while playing SWTOR

Ravonion

Hello. I'm building a "new"(with used parts) computer, came across a motherboard + cpu + ram, and already had an r9 270x from Gigabyte lying around. The problem is that I get bluescreens when I play SWTOR (Copied the game over from my main rig, so it's not new installation.) The screen is freezing, getting black, a no signal mediation comes up, then bluescreen with error 0x00000116. Tried to clear drivers with DDU, reinstall newest, and even older from 2017, however, the same happens. However, it takes a different long time, sometimes only after a few minutes, others after 15-20 minutes. Has afterburner installed, tried to close this, first it seemed to work, but then there was the bluescreen again. Really confusing, because it worked without problems with my 750 TI and the 270x have worked in another computer without any problems. However, it should be mentioned that with 270x I have used a different power supply, where I'm not sure about the function. Could that be the problem? Have done a clean install of windows on it, but without results.

I'm most likely gonna try the following: Upgrade the graphics card's bios (Feel a bit scary tho), try drivers from the Gigabyte website, test another PSU, try another game, and reinstall Swtor.

Feeling really lost, would really need some advice!

Thank you!

(If I ended up in the wrong forum i apologize)

Hello. I'm building a "new"(with used parts) computer, came across a motherboard + cpu + ram, and already had an r9 270x from Gigabyte lying around. The problem is that I get bluescreens when I play SWTOR (Copied the game over from my main rig, so it's not new installation.) The screen is freezing, getting black, a no signal mediation comes up, then bluescreen with error 0x00000116. Tried to clear drivers with DDU, reinstall newest, and even older from 2017, however, the same happens. However, it takes a different long time, sometimes only after a few minutes, others after 15-20 minutes. Has afterburner installed, tried to close this, first it seemed to work, but then there was the bluescreen again. Really confusing, because it worked without problems with my 750 TI and the 270x have worked in another computer without any problems. However, it should be mentioned that with 270x I have used a different power supply, where I'm not sure about the function. Could that be the problem? Have done a clean install of windows on it, but without results.

I'm most likely gonna try the following: Upgrade the graphics card's bios (Feel a bit scary tho), try drivers from the Gigabyte website, test another PSU, try another game, and reinstall Swtor.

Feeling really lost, would really need some advice!

Thank you!

(If I ended up in the wrong forum i apologize)

Go back to that motherboard, remove the RAM, and put it back in securely (firmly press it down in there until you get the nice 'click' - it can "look" like it's in but not be). This sounds like an error of the system trying to access memory and failing...

Go back to that motherboard, remove the RAM, and put it back in securely (firmly press it down in there until you get the nice 'click' - it can "look" like it's in but not be). This sounds like an error of the system trying to access memory and failing...

Will do, I also have some different ram I'm gonna try...

Bccode 116 is video TDR error https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x116---video-tdr-error

so another to to try is ensuring the video card has the right driver, try a different video card if you can and ensure the card isnt overheating initially

Yep, as far as i know the driver is correct. It does work with another card, but ive had this card work in another pc. I dont think its overheating, MSI afterburner reports temps never going above 60 C

I gather that windows install is fully updated , very hard to say , if a different card is stable i gather it isnt an AMD card though based on you mentioning nvidia earlier it is hard to say for certain what the cause is.

you could try a different power supply just to be certain , and depending on how many ram sticks you have pull half of it out and cycle through the sticks as a test (if that makes sense)

cant hurt to stay in a clean boot state for now too per this link

it could just be that card is failing and running dx9 is bringing it out.

I gather that windows install is fully updated , very hard to say , if a different card is stable i gather it isnt an AMD card though based on you mentioning nvidia earlier it is hard to say for certain what the cause is.

you could try a different power supply just to be certain , and depending on how many ram sticks you have pull half of it out and cycle through the sticks as a test (if that makes sense)

cant hurt to stay in a clean boot state for now too per this link

it could just be that card is failing and running dx9 is bringing it out.

I dont belive the system is fully updated, gonna check that as well. Running furmark right now and its running without errors, which is strange. I dunno if its that, but could it be that my swtor install is copied over from another pc? Dont really know how that could effect stuff though.

(the card in question is a Radeon R9 270X, the card working without any problems is a GTX 750 TI)

Whilst reseating the ram, i noticed i had it installed in slots 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. Ive installed it in 1 and 2, maybe it will make a difference?

EDIT: Seems to have no effect, still same error

Edited by Ravonion

That error is not just a driver error. It is a compatibility specific error with the video card. That means driver, hardware or the slot the card plugs into. So I would double check the version of the pcie slot the card plugs into and the pcie version of the card itself. It could be as simple as that board not supporting your card fully and directx brings out the issues. Also it could just be a bios setting related to the graphics.

Whilst reseating the ram, i noticed i had it installed in slots 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. Ive installed it in 1 and 2, maybe it will make a difference?

Usually, pairing slots 1+3 and 2+4 is better for performance, but you need to check your motherboard manual to see how it handles dual channel (or run memory benchmarks.)

As already stated, though, 0x00000116 is a failed graphic card auto-reset. The card crashing and windows resetting it (black screen for a couple seconds) is often a sign of the card overheating due to overclocking or insufficient cooling. When the card doesn't recover in time it could be a power issue, especially in a PC built with spare parts.

Do you have all power cables connected to the graphic card, and can the power supply actually deliver the power required by the card? A 750Ti needs about 70 watts under full load, a 270x needs 250+. Add 250 watts for the rest of the computer and you have the minimum wattage of your power supply.

Edited by Mubrak

That error is not just a driver error. It is a compatibility specific error with the video card. That means driver, hardware or the slot the card plugs into. So I would double check the version of the pcie slot the card plugs into and the pcie version of the card itself. It could be as simple as that board not supporting your card fully and directx brings out the issues. Also it could just be a bios setting related to the graphics.

That's true. While I believe both the card and motherboard uses PCIe ver 3, its possible it's a bios issue, since the motherboard came from a prebuild desktop (aspire M3985) and that particular board is picky with graphics cards.

Usually, pairing slots 1+3 and 2+4 is better for performance, but you need to check your motherboard manual to see how it handles dual channel (or run memory benchmarks.)

As already stated, though, 0x00000116 is a failed graphic card auto-reset. The card crashing and windows resetting it (black screen for a couple seconds) is often a sign of the card overheating due to overclocking or insufficient cooling. When the card doesn't recover in time it could be a power issue, especially in a PC built with spare parts.

Do you have all power cables connected to the graphic card, and can the power supply actually deliver the power required by the card? A 750Ti needs about 70 watts under full load, a 270x needs 250+. Add 250 watts for the rest of the computer and you have the minimum wattage of your power supply.

The psu in question is a hx650, and i have all the cables plugged in. Although since its quite a old psu, i consider it a possible cause.

Clear/reset your motherboard CMOS/BIOS to make sure everything is running within spec.

Belive I've tried that. Anyhow, i seem to have plugged something in wrong and the psu started smoking, so im gonna have to put it on hold till i can find another one :D

All of these are excellent suggestions and insights! I should add that while '116s' are graphics/video errors, they can be triggered from from a number of things: gpu overheating, cpu/overclocking, memory leaks/corruption, file corruptions - any one of these can contribute.

I think it's a very bad sign that the power supply is smoking/failing. Power supply failures can very often lead to weird behavior, reboots, and crashes, though - at least in my experience - much less often BSOD. But definitely get that fixed. Power supplies age, so sadly even if it's spec'd to handle your load, if it's an old psu, it can still fail (if you're really unsure you can run to a Frys and grab a tester for about 10 bucks - or just kindly ask them to test for you). I'm actually in this boat now myself as I'm pretty sure my PSU is crapping out.

Also run a memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) check when you're back up. And test the GPU w/ furmark (https://geeks3d.com/furmark/). Can't emphasize these checks enough (I've wasted days on stuff that was solved in a couple of minutes)

As for drivers, the way to really see if that's the issue is to run safe mode after the clean install which will disable all but the most essential drivers. This can be a good screen if you see things are working well in safe mode, you can start troubleshooting by adding in components one by one. If you get a crash, you can isolate the driver issue.

Update: Before the PSU failed, I ran the 3D mark demo, which after a few seconds crashed to the same bluescreen.

I should also clarify the smoking PSU; I plugged in a modular sata cable, which seems to have been wired up backward, so that is what caused the smoke. I did test all the hardware, and everything seems to be fine. I also tested the PSU, and it looks normal, but I won't risk using it.

I also pulled out the 400w PSU from my main system, and also the GTX 750 Ti (since the R9 270X needs two 6 pin conectors, and the 400w has only one), and with this change, everything is fully working.

Until I get a new PSU I won't be able to continue testing with the 270X, so I'll be running with the 750 TI for now.

A big thanks to all who participated!

Edited by Ravonion