Upcoming Maintenance: Week of 8/13

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

The Stronghold area resets we did this morning will hopefully mitigate some of the lag issues you have been seeing. However, we will need a patch to permanently address the issue, turn collision back on for decos, and fix a host of other issues.

The team is hard at work to get everything fixed so that we can push out a patch as soon as possible. Even with the team pounding away on it through the weekend, it is expected we won't be able to push it out until early/mid next week. I will update you as soon as I know more on maintenance timing, expect a post Monday (unless things move much faster than expected).

Here are the current patch notes for the patch (these are not final and subject to change):

• Closed a gap which allowed players to get underneath the Overlook platform in the Rishi Stronghold.
  • The Cartel Market image for the Visas Marr armor set is no longer showing the Marka Ragnos belt.
  • Despite the best efforts of the yellow team, the Novare Coast scoreboard now properly tracks the score for both teams.
  • Wins and losses are now properly tracked after all Ranked Matches (this was fixed on August 7th).
  • Dretcher’s Droids in Chapter XIII: Profit and Plunder will no longer reset.
  • Corrected an issue where the Veteran Mode Gods From the Machine bosses were harder than intended.
  • Players will no longer experience intermittent slowdown while in a Stronghold. (this fix also adds collision and LoS detection back for decorations)
  • Using various quick travel abilities will no longer randomly kill players.
  • Various character unlocks have been added back into the Cartel Market and will now display their appropriate price instead of "True."

Thanks everyone. I will pass on details as I have them.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

The Stronghold area resets we did this morning will hopefully mitigate some of the lag issues you have been seeing. However, we will need a patch to permanently address the issue, turn collision back on for decos, and fix a host of other issues.

The team is hard at work to get everything fixed so that we can push out a patch as soon as possible. Even with the team pounding away on it through the weekend, it is expected we won't be able to push it out until early/mid next week. I will update you as soon as I know more on maintenance timing, expect a post Monday (unless things move much faster than expected).

Here are the current patch notes for the patch (these are not final and subject to change):

• Closed a gap which allowed players to get underneath the Overlook platform in the Rishi Stronghold.
  • The Cartel Market image for the Visas Marr armor set is no longer showing the Marka Ragnoss belt.
  • Despite the best efforts of the yellow team, the Novare Coast scoreboard now properly tracks the score for both teams.
  • Wins and losses are now properly tracked after all Ranked Matches (this was fixed on August 7th).
  • Corrected an issue where the Veteran Mode Gods From the Machine bosses were harder than intended.
  • Players will no longer experience intermittent slowdown while in a Stronghold. (this fix also adds collision and LoS detection back for decorations)
  • Various character unlocks have been added back into the Cartel Market and will now display their appropriate price instead of "True."

-eric

Nothing about this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9633928&postcount=10

Hey folks,

• The Cartel Market image for the Visas Marr armor set is no longer showing the Marka Ragnoss belt.

-eric

That’s great news Eric.

Is there any chance you guys are looking into the match making system as well as it’s not balancing skill vs skill or gear vs gear or Premade vs Premade. At least it’s not doing it the way it should and it’s really no better than the old system and in some cases I would say it’s even worse.

There are a few threads about this and I’ve made a few detailed posts, so I won’t rehash it. But if you wouldn’t mind having a read and passing on the information and suggestions to the team, that would be awesome.

... SNIP

match making is borked, especially the skill vs skill vs gear match making. Even the healer / tank match making is out if whack,

SNIP

The 3 biggest match making problems I’m seeing are:

1. Skill vs Skill match making is non existent

2. Gear vs Gear match making is non existent

3. Premade vs Premades is barely existent and when I see it I think it’s just random (so probably non existent)

Skill vs Skill

This is so broken or not even implemented. I’ve been in matches where players can’t crack 400k and and the other teams players are 1.5 mil to 3 mil dps

There is obviously a massive skill imbalance there. Sadly that is more the norm than the exception.

Gear vs gear

I’ve been in so many matches, especially arena, where one side has 248 gear - 236 Augments and the other team has 219 -240 gear and no Augments.

There is zero match making of gear in situations like that

Premade vs Premade

While I understand that sometimes there may not be another Premade to go against a premade, there are certainly plenty in the queue and the majority of the time I see them, there is no Premade on the other team.

This indicates to me that the queue isn’t looking at how many premades there currently are in the queue or in pvp matches. It seems it is still “working” the old way of who ever is next will pop.

Two Premade scenarios :

a. it’s ready to pop a match and there is a premade at the front of the queue and another one outside of the first 16 players ready to pop, the queue will ignore the second Premade and just make a premade vs pug match.

b. there is a match about to end with one Premade in it, but instead of the queue waiting 2 minutes to put both premades together in the next match, it just makes a premade vs pug.

Neither of those is Premade vs Premade match making and actually perpetuates the cycle of premades vs pugs because those premades get locked into a queue pop rotation with only pugs.

This is extremely bad, especially as how the skill vs skill match making isn’t working as advertised. Premades on voice always have an advantage over pugs, but when they are constantly put with the team of higher skilled players vs the weaker ones, it’s a steam roll of epic proportions.

Adding all 3 problems together

When all 3 of these happen in match after match, the game is even worse than before the changes.

Team A. gets the Premade, the 4 highest skilled pugs and they all have 248 gear and 236 Augments

Team B. gets all pugs, the next tier is skilled pugs and mainly have gear under 248, most don’t even have 242 gear.

The match is a forgone conclusion before the game starts. It is so one sided that it’s a waste of time and extremely unenjoyable for most people in the match. Even those on the winning side get bored of this sort of one sided play when the novelty wears off.

Then team A and B get stuck into a pop rotation together and this happens over and over. Till eventually people give up and stop playing.

All important pop times

Queue pop times are important, but they should not be the number one factor when making the queue algorithm. Which seems to be what Bioware care about the most. Fast pops become irrelevant if pvp matches are crap. I’m sure most pvpers would rather wait an extra minute or two so that people are matched properly. ie Premades vs Premades, healers vs healers, tanks vs tanks, skill vs skill and gear vs gear.

The only time those things can really have a big affect on pop times is when the queue population gets so low that it struggles to make two 16 man matches. Even then, there are still 32 players to try and balance out what is left and if there is a premade, you put the very best 6 players on the other side to try and balance it out.

My conclusion

The parameters set for skill vs skill are hugely faulty, what every they are. There is something so fundamentally wrong that they need to fix this first and foremost. Otherwise the rest of the balancing act is pointless.

Gear vs gear should be a second consideration once skill vs Skill is achieved, but if skill vs Skill is achieved properly, gear vs gear is less of a problem.

Healers and tanks should be limited to either one healer and tank, 2 healers or 2 tanks per side (balanced out of course). At no time, including low queue population or back fills, should the queue ever pop more than the restriction.

People will soon get the message that too many healers in the queue means less pops.

Class vs class (not mentioned as not as big a deal). This does need some small consideration because if you put all Mercs or all stealth or all range or all melee on one team, skill vs skill (even if fixed) will become skewed.

Premades should also be limited to Premade vs Premade. This is easy to achieve until there is only one Premade in the queue. All it takes is the queue to wait till a match with one Premade finishes (max about 10 mins) to put both premades in the same match. When it gets to only one Premade in the queue, then it can revert to putting the best pugs against the Premade.

If Bioware were to implement the match making in that way, matches would be more enjoyable for all concerned.

Quality over pop times should be the number one consideration until queue numbers get so low that it can’t support that.

SNIP

:ph_win:

Hey folks,

-eric

Also, please look at the mini map button to right click and queue for pvp.

It is broken in lowbies and makes it default to ranked, which lowbies can’t play, so it won’t let you queue that way. You have to go into the activities window and queue that way.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Hey folks,

-eric

You also missed the conquest bug. You know, the one that still says "once a day, per legacy" bug. If you could just go ahead and get rid of that "bug" that would be greeeaaaat........as said in my most annoying Office Space voice :rak_03: K, thnx bye

You also missed the conquest bug. You know, the one that still says "once a day, per legacy" bug. If you could just go ahead and get rid of that "bug" that would be greeeaaaat........as said in my most annoying Office Space voice :rak_03: K, thnx bye

Speaking of conquest bugs, there is still an actual conquest bug in Biochem crafting... the last bastion of people making easy exploit points.

That’s great news Eric.

Is there any chance you guys are looking into the match making system as well as it’s not balancing skill vs skill or gear vs gear or Premade vs Premade. At least it’s not doing it the way it should and it’s really no better than the old system and in some cases I would say it’s even worse.

There are a few threads about this and I’ve made a few detailed posts, so I won’t rehash it. But if you wouldn’t mind having a read and passing on the information and suggestions to the team, that would be awesome.

Oh please.... PPPLEAASE....

What the l are you talking about ?

They did what most people wanted; CROSS FACTION....

It's not balancing skill vs skill ? You do realize that the majority in regs are terrible players right ? Most people que PVP to cxp farm and the real pvp-ers are a very small minority. In a 8 man team only 3 or 4 players are doing what needs to be done, the rest are only chicken, afk-ers, farmers.

I WANT TO FACE PREMADES ! I am a solo quer ! Bring them on please... What you propose just ruins PVP.

STOP criticizing the curret que sytem. It's very good now and it's exactly what you asked for.... even though it was obvious it can't fix one fundamental issue: Lack of skill... I hate to say this, but as I mentioned earlier in this post there are a very few real PVP-ers in this game now. The majority que to farm cxp or other reasons... and just don't care. No matter what Bioware does, they can't fix this. They've done what you and all the other cross faction lovers asked them.. Now it's time move on. Cross server maybe.

Oh please.... PPPLEAASE....

What the l are you talking about ?

They did what most people wanted; CROSS FACTION....

It's not balancing skill vs skill ? You do realize that the majority in regs are terrible players right ? Most people que PVP to cxp farm and the real pvp-ers are a very small minority. In a 8 man team only 3 or 4 players are doing what needs to be done, the rest are only chicken, afk-ers, farmers.

I WANT TO FACE PREMADES ! I am a solo quer ! Bring them on please... What you propose just ruins PVP.

STOP criticizing the curret que sytem. It's very good now and it's exactly what you asked for.... even though it was obvious it can't fix one fundamental issue: Lack of skill... I hate to say this, but as I mentioned earlier in this post there are a very few real PVP-ers in this game now. The majority que to farm cxp or other reasons... and just don't care. No matter what Bioware does, they can't fix this. They've done what you and all the other cross faction lovers asked them.. Now it's time move on. Cross server maybe.

Firstly the current system should be alright if it was working as advertised. I’m not criticising it, I’m reporting bugs.

But I guess you didn’t bother to read all of Eric’s and Kieths posts about how the match making system was supposed to work in the patch or what we were testing on the pts. (Can’t remember seeing you there).

If you had, you would realise everything I’ve brought up is “exactly” what they described should happen. I’m not asking them to reinvent the wheel or add something that wasn’t supposed to be in the patch. I’m highlighting how it doesn’t work or is bugged.

All of the skill vs skill vs gear vs premades was all mentioned by Eric as ways they were going to do this behind scenes matchmaking.

Maybe instead of attacking my constructive feed back to Eric (not you) on what isn’t working as advertised, you go and read what Eric said about the match making system and why they were going to implement it in the first place.

But you may get that wrong too because you didn’t even understand my post, so reading must be difficult.

Maybe go back and reread it and you will see that no where did I say or insinuate that “I WANT TO FACE PREMADES ! I am a solo quer ! Bring them on please”... :rolleyes:

If you personally want to face premades as a solo queue, you can bet there will still be a spot for you in the other 4 pug spots.

Honestly, saying what I wrote will ruin pvp, is so over the top, it’s ludicrous and shows you didn’t understand a thing I wrote,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Firstly the current system should be alright if it was working as advertised. I’m not criticising it, I’m reporting bugs.

But I guess you didn’t bother to read all of Eric’s and Kieths posts about how the match making system was supposed to work in the patch or what we were testing on the pts. (Can’t remember seeing you there).

If you had, you would realise everything I’ve brought up is “exactly” what they described should happen. I’m not asking them to reinvent the wheel or add something that wasn’t supposed to be in the patch. I’m highlighting how it doesn’t work or is bugged.

All of the skill vs skill vs gear vs premades was all mentioned by Eric as ways they were going to do this behind scenes matchmaking.

Maybe instead of attacking my constructive feed back to Eric (not you) on what isn’t working as advertised, you go and read what Eric said about the match making system and why they were going to implement it in the first place.

But you may get that wrong too because you didn’t even understand my post, so reading must be difficult.

Maybe go back and reread it and you will see that no where did I say or insinuate that “I WANT TO FACE PREMADES ! I am a solo quer ! Bring them on please”... :rolleyes:

If you personally want to face premades as a solo queue, you can bet there will still be a spot for you in the other 4 pug spots.

Honestly, saying what I wrote will ruin pvp, is so over the top, it’s ludicrous and shows you didn’t understand a thing I wrote,

Probably Eric is just good at marketing... and you believed his words. I seriously doubt that things were a lot a different on the PTS. Also,, the number of peopel testing on PTS was how high ? What we got now is exactly what they had planned.. and it's working out now.

The real problem are people. I mean they can't focus a guy in arena. He has massive target over his head yet everyone from my team goes the wrong targets. They can't fix this..

Ok, get your butts worked off over the weekend. :-)

Thanks for addressing this and actually working on it over the weekend, something you guys rarely do even if it is absolutely necessary. That is at least my educated impression from the last 2.5 years.

Edited by Khaleg

Probably Eric is just good at marketing... and you believed his words. I seriously doubt that things were a lot a different on the PTS. Also,, the number of peopel testing on PTS was how high ? What we got now is exactly what they had planned.. and it's working out now.

The real problem are people. I mean they can't focus a guy in arena. He has massive target over his head yet everyone from my team goes the wrong targets. They can't fix this..

You’ve no idea what you are talking about and the post wasn’t for you. It was for Bioware. I won’t be responding to any more antagonistic posts in this thread from you regarding mine,

The random deaths bug seems to be more random than just teleporting somewhere. I was playing Chapter 6 KOTET and the two "Dock Worker" NPCs were passing through an archway and they just..... randomly died. Is it bad that I laughed?

There's also SH stats display bug and Grand Cube bug, hope it also gets fixed soon.

Probably Eric is just good at marketing... and you believed his words.

I rather believe that there is something going on behind the curtains, too. Like Eric saying "we want that fixed" and some superior saying "no, can't be made within these short days", or "there are other things with more priority".

Remember that Eric is just the messenger, not the developer, or any of his superiors.

I rather believe that there is something going on behind the curtains, too. Like Eric saying "we want that fixed" and some superior saying "no, can't be made within these short days", or "there are other things with more priority".

Remember that Eric is just the messenger, not the developer, or any of his superiors.

What I meant by that is that they hyped matchmaking and advertised it very well... and then shortly before launch, Eric said that the matchmaking will TRY to create balanced groups as much as possible. It will TRY means that.... not every wz will be perfect grouping. I am still having reg arenas where my team doesn't have a healer. vs team with healer tank or 1 heal 3 dps.

The main goal was to make pops more frequent.. and that is 100% achieved. reps if low in que can also get into games now. So working as intended.

But there are people who will always have unrealistic expectations..and take everything the devs say too literally.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Hey folks,

-eric

What about fixing new mandalore battle ring arena instant death bugg? Using force leap or some other mobility abilities often results in instant death

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the updates. :) The PvP toggle isn't working correctly - even if one turns it on and off several times before porting in and outside the area, it's still activating occasionally in both the skydeck and the Rishi hideout area. :(

A few of us have mentioned this bug but there has been no feedback on whether they are aware of it or if it will be fixed in the patch.

I have a question: Did Cartel Certificates make it into the Ultimate Cartel Packs in 5.9.2 as mentioned in the PTS thread?

Are you going to make it so we can trade our unassembled pieces with the fleet vendors? Are you going to allow us the ability to actually do missions like per say the bounty weekly as its not corrupt? Are you going to let us check our mail as its now corrupt? Are you only going to allow us to choose solo ranked as normal regs is corrupt and missing?

What are you giving us in return for this? We are all losing 2x XP and CXP experience over this. I have been in this game since 2011 and a patch as never been successful :(

How about using PTS for beta patching and then adding it to prod for final? This is killing the games rep.

Please help us get our game back

Edited by MasterRummy