The Status of SWTOR on Twitch

Manjaca

Its 12 a.m. in Germany

SWTOR: 215 Viewers on Twitch

WOW: 58112 Viewers on Twitch :eek:

This reflects on the Population on our 5 Servers.

This are the consequences of:

3 Years no new Content

3 Years of no new explorable Planet

KOTFE/KOTET (Fail) Story

Galactic Command (aka Thrill of the Hunt)

Problems with the new Conquest System

Many other smaller Problems..........

We discussed the Population Problems

We discussed the dead Forums Threads Compared to 3+ Years back

And yet i watched Twitch

I have Tears in my Eyes what EA and BW done to this Wonderfull Game called SWTOR :(

And please dont tell me we have Summer! :rolleyes:

Edited by Manjaca

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its 12 a.m. in Germany

SWTOR: 215 Viewers on Twitch

WOW: 58112 Viewers on Twitch :eek:

This reflects on the Population on our 5 Servers.

This are the consequences of:

3 Years no new Content

3 Years of no new explorable Planet

KOTFE/KOTET (Fail) Story

Galactic Command (aka Thrill of the Hunt)

Problems with the new Conquest System

Many other smaller Problems..........

We discussed the Population Problems

We discussed the dead Forums Threads Compared to 3+ Years back

And yet i watched Twitch

I have Tears in my Eyes what EA and BW done to this Wonderfull Game called SWTOR :(

And please dont tell me we have Summer! :rolleyes:

I play

I am not on twitch

Your argument is flawed.

I play

I am not on twitch

Your argument is flawed.

I Play this Game 6+ Years :rolleyes:

TESO: 2313 Viewers

Guils Wars 2: 426 Viewers

Final Fantasy Online: 650 Viewers

SWTOR: 160 Viewers

All this Games recive Regular Updates.........

Edited by Manjaca

I Play this Game 6+ Years :rolleyes:

All this Games recive Regular Updates.........

I don't care how long you have played, it is not relevant.

What is relevant is the fact that if 1 person isn't on twitch that plays namely me, just how many more are there?

And since neither of us can answer that question that is big *********** hole in your statement of fact.

Typical meaningless stats. They may simply reflect the idea that people would rather watch WoW and TESO than play it, and/or people would rather play GW2 and SWTOR than watch someone else play it. And/or relative hardware requirements, And/or, etc.

Edited by JediQuaker

I don't care how long you have played, it is not relevant.

What is relevant is the fact that if 1 person isn't on twitch that plays namely me, just how many more are there?

And since neither of us can answer that question that is big *********** hole in your statement of fact.

Well I can name 2 more not on twitch nor care to be. My boyfriend and I.

Typical meaningless stats. They may simply reflect the idea that people would rather watch WoW and TESO than play it, and/or people would rather play GW2 and SWTOR than watch someone else play it. And/or relative hardware requirements, And/or, etc.

What nonsense is that claim?

Whenever I have twitch open on the background I often have one game open on one monitor and a stream open on the other. And often the game I'm playing and I'm watching are the same.

What kind of assumption is that people don't play what they watch?

I don't generally watch games I don't play because I wouldn't understand them if I didn't know how they work and it wouldn't make for a very good viewer experience. Nor do I have interest in watching game's I have ditched because what would be the point? I'd only watch whatever I ditched if the commentator was entertaining, in which case I'd be watching the personality rather than the game.

Edited by Kiesu

When I played WoW, I wasn't on twitch. Same for GW2, D3, WoT, WoWs, The Division, SWtOR, and every other game. I just don't get what the attraction is of either watching someone else play or having others watching me play.

That said, the numbers are at least one measurement of interest in the games. But for those measurements to be a bit less random, you'd need several data points taken at differing times of day. All you have is a single data point, and that's not enough of a sample to be meaningful.

I'm not on twitch either, and I'm in the camp that doesn't understand the appeal of streaming my game play or watching other people play a game, especially for extended periods of time. Unless you're trying to learn a specific fight why bother?

At any rate there's been so little new content and probably only so many times that people can watch old content replayed.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I don't do twitch either. I don't care to record so others can watch me play, and I don't care to watch anyone else play any game. I'd either A) Play the game myself or B) ignore the game, because I have no interest in it. Watching someone else play a game is boring as ****.

Looking at Twitch numbers to see how well the game is doing is massively flawed.

Edited by Toraak

SWTOR's player base is smaller, everyone knows that and it'll reflect in their Twitch viewers as well. Doesn't say a whole lot otherwise especially not when there are plenty of people who'd prefer to read the cliff notes on Dulfy or elsewhere rather than watch the streams.

Props to you though for finding a different stick than the age-old fleet numbers, albeit a more ridiculous one too.

Edited by JennyFlynn

SWTOR's player base is smaller, everyone knows that and it'll reflect in their Twitch viewers as well. Doesn't say a whole lot otherwise especially not when there are plenty of people who'd prefer to read the cliff notes on Dulfy or elsewhere rather than watch the streams.

Props to you though for finding a different stick than the age-old fleet numbers, albeit a more ridiculous one too.

Would you consider e-marrying me? :rak_03:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, given that I also play I WoW and ESO (though the latter is not mentioned in the OP)...

SWTOR is more solo-story driven than the others. I am not (I repeat not) saying WoW and ESO don't have lore, and in many cases (particularly ESO) it is quite good. Hence, the numbers you quote are not remotely surprising.

While I just e-proposed to JennyFlynn, I don't really have an interest in watching her go through a storyline. (Sorry! :D)

I can get PvP twitch watching, and have done it myself, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

But yes, do we all reading / posting here desire more content -- um, yes.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Wow, the ignorance and lack of any logic of the White Knights here is overwhelming.

It does not mean ANYTHING if YOU are playing without being on Twitch. That is very basic knowledge about statistics and mathematics. Large numbers you know, it's a mathematical law/basic rule in probability calculation.

It does mean something when you compare WoW and SWTOR Twitch numbers, of course it does. The same way fleet populations are indicators for the big picture, yet are being whitewashed by the white knights as well. I don't think ignorance is a healthy state of mind.

It's sad and I really wish it would be different but our beloved game is not that loved and popular as it should be and as it deserves, given it would have been run by a professional company with at least some experience in MMOs from start.

A lot of things were being done wrong, totally wrong, and now we are at a point where EA doesn't invest the neccessary money anymore to turn it around, and now just greedily grabs the easy Cartel market buck from people/customers who are easy victims of that microtransaction rip off business, all with minimal to no effort/investment.

Just an example out of many, what does it tell you about a company and the financial and general priority within the EA infrastructure when the community manager has his marriage and honeymoon and the company has NO replacement for him for several weeks, other than a rudimentary posting bot?! That tells A LOT and appears to me like a 3 people studio, don't fool yourself, and again, I really wish it would be different.

BTW, I AM on Twitch! - but sadly can't deliver a real quality stream until the f... providers at my main place finally offer a better upload speed, but until then I do what I can to at least deliver somewhat interesting content with my guild or solo, yet rather ugly kind of pixeled content due to the shi... upload rate. :-/

Edited by Khaleg

I play

I am not on twitch

Your argument is flawed.

Agreed.

And honeslty, why are people even watching twitch instead of playing the game? The only time I look at twitch is for dev streams or if I need to check out how to improve or do something.

I understand why some people stream on twitch, it’s to make money or to help people. But lots of people also do it for ego. The issue is there are so many noobs in this game now, that if they stream on twitch, it will show how bad they are and open them up to derision.

Lastly, you can’t compare WoW to swtor or really any other MMO. Even as it declines with age, WoW still holds the MMO title as the most successful and populated MMO.

A better MMO to compare swtor with might be GW2 as it also has pvp and raid content.

Exactly this. It is common knowledge the SWTOR playerbase is small. Especially compared to a game like WoW. I bet games like Rift probably have similar Twitch numbers yet they are still going. What is your point OP?

Judging swtor based on Twitch is very very biased. The viewer numbers are totaly not representative. For example people mostly watch the PVP streamers and when those stream they all their friends are "viewing" them. You can basically see the same names everywhere. This CAN show you how small the community is but it definitely does not reflect the game population.

I watch swtor on twitch only 1 hour per day when im in the gym and thats during lunch hours for example. Why on earth would I watch it at 8 pm or 12 am when Im playing the game myself?

Judging swtor based on Twitch is very very biased. The viewer numbers are totaly not representative. For example people mostly watch the PVP streamers and when those stream they all their friends are "viewing" them. You can basically see the same names everywhere. This CAN show you how small the community is but it definitely does not reflect the game population.

I watch swtor on twitch only 1 hour per day when im in the gym and thats during lunch hours for example. Why on earth would I watch it at 8 pm or 12 am when Im playing the game myself?

Play SWTOR

Don't use Twitch.

And?........

People here just don't get even the very basics of statistics. That is sad. What do they teach in schools nowadays? Creative free dance? :-)

People here just don't get even the very basics of statistics. That is sad. What do they teach in schools nowadays? Creative free dance? :-)

Khaleg,

I understand statistics quite well. The issue we are raising is that for a story driven MMORPG, which doesn't have a competitive e-sport PvP aspect to it, the numbers are not surprising.

I have no particular desire to watch someone on Twitch romance Theron Shan.

Dasty

Khaleg,

I understand statistics quite well. The issue we are raising is that for a story driven MMORPG, which doesn't have a competitive e-sport PvP aspect to it, the numbers are not surprising.

I have no particular desire to watch someone on Twitch romance Theron Shan.

Dasty

Funny enough I think the same thing about Twitch and PVP though.

I have watched videos that give tips on rotations etc., but I have never gone to Twitch just to watch someone PVP live and chatter on about w/e it is they talk about.

Clearly I am in the minority I guess, seeing thousands do watch PVPers PVP on Twitch. I will never understand it though, just as I don't understand how someone could watch Theron get romanced on Twitch.

We know compared to other games that the population isn't huge like WoW's (even after so many years). However what we're saying is your numbers are meaningless because.

1) Most of the streams for swtor that are being watched are PvP which is a small part of the community in general. ('ll include GSF here as well)

2) The Solo players don't need to watch twitch to do Story, because it's so easy. Not to mention why watch someone else do the story, while you could be doing it yourself?

3) As for raiding, I'm sure there are some people that watch raiding streams, but I'd personally rather go to dulfy quickly if I needed mechanics information then watching a stream.

For myself I'd rather play any game, then watch someone I don't know play it.

Now as for the OP's original point, yes we definitely need more content for all game types at a far more frequent pace. However I doubt EA has given the funds to BW to make this possible. Personally I'd love to have a WoW like expansion for this game, but I highly doubt we'll get one with such a large amount of content for every playstyle (Story, PvP, GSF, FP's, Operations, Full sized planets to explore, Companion Conversations, etc)

Edited by Toraak

This is why:

1. Nobody wants to see loading screens when you play

2. ESO and WoW have open worlds, you can walk from one side to the other, with SWTOR you have smaller instanced planets so the population is dead on some planets

3. The fleet is somewhere to stand around, nothing much happens on it. People don't wanna see you stand around when you're queuing for the dead PVP pops. You can't even duel on fleet either

4. Nobody wants to watch other people play story in an MMO

5. Combat system is outdated

6. Lack of updates to the game compared to ESO and WoW

7. No sense of community, you can play the game start to finish without talking to anyone (same with the other two I guess)

8. Lack of player events for SWTOR. Yes we get the repeatable dev made events, but I'm talking about actual players doing events

9. Zero open world PVP

10. PVP is a mess with all the stuns and casting while jumping around like a chicken

There's just less to do in this game.

It's summer time. :rak_01:

And soon the kids go back to school...and shortly after that, people are spending the early winter months with their families for the holidays...right? WoW is just lucky they don't need to deal with seasons like SWTOR does. :p