What was Zash's crime?

J_Craver

So, if you play as an Inquisitor, you spend the entirety of Chapters 2 and 3 being hounded all over the galaxy by Darth Thanaton because he wanted to kill your master Zash for committing a great wrong, but now she's dead at your hand instead (or so he thinks). And apparently there's an ancient Sith tradition that says that when a Sith Lord commits a crime warranting death, everyone who worked for that Sith Lord is also condemned to die, regardless of their complicity in the crime.

Leaving aside, for the moment, how silly this tradition is and how suspicious it is that it never comes up anywhere else in the canon, I'm still not 100% sure what crime Zash supposedly committed that would get me, as her apprentice, condemned alongside her. I mean, sure, she schemed against her superiors and delved into Dark Side rituals that touched on Things Man Was Not Meant To Know, but let's face it: all Sith do those things. "Killed by a scheming subordinate" is probably the second leading cause of death among Sith, after "killed by Jedi." It's, dare I say it, tradition.

Certainly, it's nothing to launch a galaxy-spanning vendetta against a barely involved third party over.

Edited by J_Craver

I never felt like all the sith were against her , just that Hypocrite Thanathon . With every major Dark council member busy , that left him to do some clean up any way he wanted .

He saw the Sorc as a potentiel threath and unworthy to advance to the Top . Probably same with Zash (that and he probably wanted to hoard her stuff for himself , thinking he is more worthy of relics and text of the Sith ) . He is a traditionalist that act like a wall to anyone he doesn't approve of .

Add to that , he probably gain more follower if he destroyed another sith house base , as well as recognition from the others dark Members (see how none would lift a hand to help him)...

Tradition I tell you :D

The only bad thing in that story..is Sorc not snapping his neck...Steal kill I tell you !

I never felt like all the sith were against her , just that Hypocrite Thanathon . With every major Dark council member busy , that left him to do some clean up any way he wanted .

He saw the Sorc as a potentiel threath and unworthy to advance to the Top . Probably same with Zash (that and he probably wanted to hoard her stuff for himself , thinking he is more worthy of relics and text of the Sith ) . He is a traditionalist that act like a wall to anyone he doesn't approve of .

Add to that , he probably gain more follower if he destroyed another sith house base , as well as recognition from the others dark Members (see how none would lift a hand to help him)...

Tradition I tell you :D

The only bad thing in that story..is Sorc not snapping his neck...Steal kill I tell you !

Thanaton isn't a traditionalist, he's a whiny *****. The only reason he was anything more than nothing was because he got stupendously lucky as a disgraced apprentice and managed to kill the original Child of the Emperor (a Sith Pureblood named Exal Kressh, who was originally Vitiate's apprentice), preventing her from exposing both the Children and Vitiate's overall plot to the Republic. As reward, he demanded to be made a Darth. Thanaton's idea of "tradition" is precisely not.

He wants to kill you because he's butthurt about several things that Zash does and/or orders you to do in Chapter I.

-She was able to kill Skotia by sending you to do the job while being publicly someplace else, giving her an airtight alibi.

-She was made a Darth for the above.

-You killed Zash in self-defense at the end of Chapter I.

-Zash was Thanaton's apprentice, and for some weird reason, instead of just killing her because he hated her so much, just let her keep doing her thing, but then gets mad when you killed her first.

-Thanaton is also a massive hypocrite, because at some point in the Inquisitor story (I forget when), you hear news that Thanaton's master on the Council "mysteriously" died and now he gets to sit on it, which is literally the exact same thing he's mad at you for.

Thanaton isn't a traditionalist, he's a whiny *****. The only reason he was anything more than nothing was because he got stupendously lucky as a disgraced apprentice and managed to kill the original Child of the Emperor (a Sith Pureblood named Exal Kressh, who was originally Vitiate's apprentice), preventing her from exposing both the Children and Vitiate's overall plot to the Republic. As reward, he demanded to be made a Darth. Thanaton's idea of "tradition" is precisely not.

He wants to kill you because he's butthurt about several things that Zash does and/or orders you to do in Chapter I.

-She was able to kill Skotia by sending you to do the job while being publicly someplace else, giving her an airtight alibi.

-She was made a Darth for the above.

-You killed Zash in self-defense at the end of Chapter I.

-Zash was Thanaton's apprentice, and for some weird reason, instead of just killing her because he hated her so much, just let her keep doing her thing, but then gets mad when you killed her first.

-Thanaton is also a massive hypocrite, because at some point in the Inquisitor story (I forget when), you hear news that Thanaton's master on the Council "mysteriously" died and now he gets to sit on it, which is literally the exact same thing he's mad at you for.

He maybe not one but he act like one . All that sith code blabbering , all that talk about Traditions , and text , and rituals..........:rolleyes:

While in real life I'm allergic to ''traditions'' . In a context of a story and Lore...I can abide by them . It just that HIM..he reek hypocrisie.......

-Thanaton is also a massive hypocrite, because at some point in the Inquisitor story (I forget when), you hear news that Thanaton's master on the Council "mysteriously" died and now he gets to sit on it, which is literally the exact same thing he's mad at you for

is it mentioned who was his master at all ???

-Zash was Thanaton's apprentice,

Was she? I do not remember such thing mentioned anywhere.

Maybe, "Thanaton's superior". His teacher was Calypho, and his predecessor in the Council was Darth Arctis; I am sure that he didn't teach Thanaton.

He believes that Zash went against traditions and (As all the Council themselves know) knows that Zash orchestrated Skotia's death, plus it's implied that he always hated Zash (And since he's a hypocrite he's really just looking for an excuse to take down everything that belongs to her, including her powerbase after she's dead). So, Thanaton goes after you. Since the Council don't care about you (And Thanaton does have some friends on the Council), they don't really have any reason to stop Thanaton from doing this. It's only until your quarrel starts to harm the Empire itself and your constant survival proves to humiliate Thanaton that they even take an interest.

There are some hints that Thanaton and Zash represented different views on Sith philosophy, so her crime was daring to have different ideas.

But I think it was just a simple fact that Thanaton knew that Zash is not going to stop at Darth title and was getting nervous. He could not kill simply her because that would not be "traditional". But after her death? So easy to condemn a dead woman. All in the name of tradition of course, definitely not for personal gain.

After her death, he was erasing all the traces of her teachings from existence. Smashing the holocrons, deleting her writings, killing her students and so on. The fact that SI survived was just a pure dumb luck – who knew that he/she have a powerful ancestor buried in the Dark Temple and willing to do everything in his power to protect his last surviving descendant? Without Grandpa Kallig SI probably would be possessed by Zash and if not, definitely dead because of that little errand Thanaton send them on.

After that SI breathing was a challenge to Thanaton – he, Dark Lord, decreed that someone have to die and that person continue to merrily run around and shock people? Not a good thing.

Also, yes, it was pretty funny to see him forgetting about traditions he was defending so much as soon as he was in danger of getting electrocuted.

Edited by RandomName_Ru

Was she? I do not remember such thing mentioned anywhere.

It was mentioned twice as far as I recall . The 1st time , in Korriban during your test . That hermit mention that when you know who is her master , you are strong or something . And Zash herself will mention who he is , during Skotia arc in the cantina . And after Zash die , Thanathon will introduce himself before and after she die .

There are some hints that Thanaton and Zash represented different views on Sith philosophy, so her crime was daring to have different ideas.

But I think it was just a simple fact that Thanaton knew that Zash is not going to stop at Darth title and was getting nervous. He could not kill simply her because that would not be "traditional". But after her death? So easy to condemn a dead woman. All in the name of tradition of course, definitely not for personal gain.

After her death, he was erasing all the traces of her teachings from existence. Smashing the holocrons, deleting her writings, killing her students and so on. The fact that SI survived was just a pure dumb luck – who knew that he/she have a powerful ancestor buried in the Dark Temple and willing to do everything in his power to protect his last surviving descendant? Without Grandpa Kallig SI probably would be possessed by Zash and if not, definitely dead because of that little errand Thanaton send them on.

After that SI breathing was a challenge to Thanaton – he, Dark Lord, decreed that someone have to die and that person continue to merrily run around and shock people? Not a good thing.

Also, yes, it was pretty funny to see him forgetting about traditions he was defending so much as soon as he was in danger of getting electrocuted.

The most annoying part , at least to me . Is how many time he would lecture you...THEN Send his student after you LOL

I was like....ALL THAT PREACHING...Sheesh..fight me yourself !!

Just glad I got to electrocute Harkun........I wanted to kill him so bad....since cutscene numero 1 :p

Something I do not understand Thanaton began his campaign of killing the SI some time before he became a council member so not that influential yet. So how was he allowed to do such a overt attempt at killing the SI like it or not the council is not stupid and trying to kill someone directly without reason is against the law and well it will be a bad precedent to follow.

Yeah, I hate the SI story. But I have to admit, correcting him on the Sith Code was awesome.

Something I do not understand Thanaton began his campaign of killing the SI some time before he became a council member so not that influential yet. So how was he allowed to do such a overt attempt at killing the SI like it or not the council is not stupid and trying to kill someone directly without reason is against the law and well it will be a bad precedent to follow.

Because they do not care about you, plus the fact that as long as there's no evidence presented that it should matter to them. Remember, the whole reason Zash's plan worked was because there was no evidence to say that she killed Skotia, even though everyone knew she did it.

Because they do not care about you, plus the fact that as long as there's no evidence presented that it should matter to them. Remember, the whole reason Zash's plan worked was because there was no evidence to say that she killed Skotia, even though everyone knew she did it.

Yeah I know they do not care about the SI yet but they do care about the empire and this will set a dangerous precedent if you can kill people so overtly. Also at that point you are a very famous sith with a some influence is not like he would kill a nobody he will kill a hero and well I do not think that is a good idea other sith would think their lives are worth nothing and unrest might rise.

Yeah I know they do not care about the SI yet but they do care about the empire and this will set a dangerous precedent if you can kill people so overtly. Also at that point you are a very famous sith with a some influence is not like he would kill a nobody he will kill a hero and well I do not think that is a good idea other sith would think their lives are worth nothing and unrest might rise.

Which makes absolutely zero sense if you also play the Warrior storyline where you casually stroll in and kill Darth Vengean, a member of the bloody Dark Council, and nothing happens.

Which makes absolutely zero sense if you also play the Warrior storyline where you casually stroll in and kill Darth Vengean, a member of the bloody Dark Council, and nothing happens.

Here is the thing the dark council approved the assassination nobody approved for Thanaton to kill the SI. I know because I asked Darth Barass and said the dark council approved his removal.

Edited by adormitul

Here is the thing the dark council approved the assassination nobody approved for Thanaton to kill the SI. I know because I asked Darth Barass and said the dark council approved his removal.

I know. But Baras says a lot of things. Notably, "I'm the Emperor's Voice" and "I'm totally not going to kill you, apprentice."

Then Thanaton first tries to kill SI, he/she is not that important or special in any way, he/she is just an apprentice that have been trained by a Lord who was opposing Thanaton. And destroying anything related to the dead opponent is pretty common among Sith.

I have not seen any hints that Dark Lords do have to ask for a permission to kill a subordinate that failed them, annoyed them, looked at them wrong or just have been around then said Lord was feeling murderous. The only reason Thanaton did not force choked SI near the Spires of Victory was because he pretended to care about what will happen if Sith will stroll around killing people openly. And I get a feeling that he had troubles with “openly” not the “killing” part. So, instead he sent SI to a tomb with a murderous ghost inside. It is even said that this was his way of disposing of undesirable subordinates. As long as it's done discretely, everything is fine.

The trouble starts then SI refuses to die and Thanaton slowly becomes a laughing stock of Dromund Kaas. Dark Lord who cannot kill an apprentice!

Where do you get that from ?? if I recall , whole story every idiot we met would call us ''Slave'' . And anyone else on planets , would call us ''Apprentice'' or ''Sith'' But they don't know or care as long as you do the side quest .

Everytime we were in the main story , someone would oppose our Title . Wich I suspect is Thanathon doing . If words spread that a mere ''Slave'' is on the run....none would look .

I'm pretty sure he made sure that our heritage or anything that could get the dark council attention was buried .

I think you underestimate the Empire . If there is one thing I learned , is that most crazy Sith Lord with their powers base..in their bickering LOVE Wasting Life to get what they want . Sith Warrior is a fine exemple of that . When during the story , an empire soldier stand up to you......such a fraking waste .

It's amazing they still have peoples to throw in the war...:rolleyes:

Where do you get that from ?? if I recall , whole story every idiot we met would call us ''Slave'' . And anyone else on planets , would call us ''Apprentice'' or ''Sith'' But they don't know or care as long as you do the side quest .

Everytime we were in the main story , someone would oppose our Title . Wich I suspect is Thanathon doing . If words spread that a mere ''Slave'' is on the run....none would look .

I'm pretty sure he made sure that our heritage or anything that could get the dark council attention was buried .

I think you underestimate the Empire . If there is one thing I learned , is that most crazy Sith Lord with their powers base..in their bickering LOVE Wasting Life to get what they want . Sith Warrior is a fine exemple of that . When during the story , an empire soldier stand up to you......such a fraking waste .

It's amazing they still have peoples to throw in the war...:rolleyes:

Actually he is not that unknown granted I forgot a what he did on Balmora and Tatooine maybe it was something important but I forgot. Now on Nar Shadaa he defeated a sith lord and got a cult. On Alderaan he inflicted so much damage on the republic aligned houses that they begged for a truce and he killed a highly renown jedi master. Oh I remember now on Tatooine he destroyed a pirate gang which adds to the amazing things he did. So not that unknown.

Don't forget that Sith Inquisitors also have command of an entire fleet under Moff Pyron long before they ever kill Thanaton. The SI is a literal rags-to-riches story.

Actually he is not that unknown granted I forgot a what he did on Balmora and Tatooine maybe it was something important but I forgot. Now on Nar Shadaa he defeated a sith lord and got a cult. On Alderaan he inflicted so much damage on the republic aligned houses that they begged for a truce and he killed a highly renown jedi master. Oh I remember now on Tatooine he destroyed a pirate gang which adds to the amazing things he did. So not that unknown.

Most of what the Inquisitor does in the class storyline wouldn't impress the Dark Council overmuch (most Sith yawn at pirate gangs, for example), but then you count the world quest storylines that any class can do. By the time they make Lord, the Inquisitor has crushed the rebellion on Balmorra and (if they let the Marshal live) exposed the Republic's violations of the Treaty of Coruscant to the galaxy, obtained powerful Rakata artifacts for the Empire on Tatooine and Nar Shadaa, and captured or killed the usurper king of Alderaan and secured the support of the deposed royal family for the Sith's proxy nobles.

And that's just the first chapter.

Which is why I want to smack Marr when he tells Ravage that Thanaton was "a better Sith than you give him credit for." Really? Really, Marr? I've taken precious time away from building power and saving my own life to just about singlehandedly win the war for the Empire on almost a dozen planets. What has Thanaton done lately, aside from diverting precious resources away from the war effort to prosecute his cockamamie vendetta?

Edited by J_Craver

Don't forget that Sith Inquisitors also have command of an entire fleet under Moff Pyron long before they ever kill Thanaton. The SI is a literal rags-to-riches story.

I don't know . If I recall (and I maybe wrong , havent played in a while) . But the Moff proposed that fleet (Actually a construction of a project that was canceled) , to gain weigh in the fight against Thanathos .

And when you get there , there were 2 others Moff and 1 or 2 of them didn't agree or even aknowledge you at all .

I guess what I'm saying is I never seen the Sorc story as you call it from rags-to-riches . From all the stories , it is the one where I never felt like you are accepted . Sit on the Throne and Bask in the glory and how soft the chair is .

The dark lord on the council barely aknowledge you as one of them , even after you win . And I get the feeling from one reply you can pick where you say something like ''I take on all of you next'' and it really is a scene like a young shark who just sat down with veteran shark..and one wrong move and they all eat the young shark lol .

So if anything , I think the Sorc story is the most unstable take of power . And that's why I love it .

Heck even during Shadow of revan , Vitiate doesn't even aknowledge your precence on Yavin . Sith warrior is his pet , but Sorc get nothing .

But that is just what I think . You maybe right , but this is how I felt about the story . :)

It depends on how you handle the other Moffs. You can impress them enough to all throw in with you or you can...not. In which case you just have Moff Pyron with you.

That said, just because there's only three guys standing there, doesn't mean that they don't represent a considerable amount of power all together. Moffs outrank Admirals (it's mentioned in the Agent's storyline that the corrupt Admiral you meet on Hoth is bitter that his career is stalled and he'll never make Moff), so each of those guys commands a significant military force.

Edited by J_Craver

Most of what the Inquisitor does in the class storyline wouldn't impress the Dark Council overmuch (most Sith yawn at pirate gangs, for example), but then you count the world quest storylines that any class can do. By the time they make Lord, the Inquisitor has crushed the rebellion on Balmorra and (if they let the Marshal live) exposed the Republic's violations of the Treaty of Coruscant to the galaxy, obtained powerful Rakata artifacts for the Empire on Tatooine and Nar Shadaa, and captured or killed the usurper king of Alderaan and secured the support of the deposed royal family for the Sith's proxy nobles.

And that's just the first chapter.

Which is why I want to smack Marr when he tells Ravage that Thanaton was "a better Sith than you give him credit for." Really? Really, Marr? I've taken precious time away from building power and saving my own life to just about singlehandedly win the war for the Empire on almost a dozen planets. What has Thanaton done lately, aside from diverting precious resources away from the war effort to prosecute his cockamamie vendetta?

Yeah, Thanaton did nothing to earn Marr's respect. But its still not as bad as Thanaton having the sheer *********** gall to say 'I wish it hadn't had to end this way' on Corellia if you choose the dialogue option to finish the sith code when he chants it at you. You have had the power to call it off at anytime, *******. It is nobodies fault but your own that all this **** happened and you couldn't pull out without looking like a loser who couldn't kill a lowly Sith Lord despite being on the Dark Council.

Darth Marr is a traditionalist himself who "cannot bend even if his life depended on it". He also rates Thanaton high for what he (Thanaton) unearthed from ancient wisdom - which is precisely YOUR task on the Dark Council now and, amazingly, you are still doing exactly that til present day. Think on it...