Why don't we have Loadouts for ships in GSF yet?

Loadsamonie

So often when playing Flashfire I find myself using BLC's and Clusters, only to find that they're not working so well in Deathmatch because of all the Gunships. I'd be way better off with Quads and Pods in those situations, but OH NO, I can't switch my components during a match .

I can't believe loadouts haven't been implemented yet for this precise reason, being able to swap to a different configuration of weapons and components as the situation demands, without having to pick a different ship..

You could also ask why we still have the same component bug after all this time?

GSF doesn't generate nearly enough revenue to warrant their attention - so little that they removed virtually all the gsf related offerings on the cartel market.

There's no real answer to that, other than developer apathy. - Though you can have up to 5 ships on your bar, so if you are defeated, you can switch to something more suitable for the match type / opponent makeup.

As a mainly scout pilot, I have Blackbolt, Sting and Bloodmark which covers most eventualities. - Pure scouting ( hiot and fade) / skirmishing ( quads and clusters) / support. (Tensor, repair)

( or the Pub equivalents if playing pubside ofc.)

That still leaves two slots - Usually imperium ( my fave strike) and Bomber /GS if I really fancy a change of pace.

There's no real answer to that, other than developer apathy. - Though you can have up to 5 ships on your bar, so if you are defeated, you can switch to something more suitable for the match type / opponent makeup.

As a mainly scout pilot, I have Blackbolt, Sting and Bloodmark which covers most eventualities. - Pure scouting ( hiot and fade) / skirmishing ( quads and clusters) / support. (Tensor, repair)

( or the Pub equivalents if playing pubside ofc.)

That still leaves two slots - Usually imperium ( my fave strike) and Bomber /GS if I really fancy a change of pace.

Well I DO have my NovaDive set up for LC's and Pods as opposed to Flashfires BLC's and Clusters, so I have two ships to swap to depending on what weapon combo works better. But the problem is that Flashfire with Quads and Pods would still be way more reliable, since Quads have more effective range and higher damage than LC's, and Flashfire isn't as squishy as Novadive (Large Reactor instead of Sensors). So even with the alternate configuration on NovaDive, it's still not nearly as good as it would be to be able to swap to an alternate Flashfire configuration mid-match.

I GUESS I could bite the bullet and get the premium Scout ship Skybolt, which is basically a 'mastered' Flashfire, and just configure that one accordingly, but man, what an expensive workaround.

Edited by Loadsamonie

But the problem is that Flashfire with Quads and Pods would still be way more reliable, since Quads have more effective range and higher damage than LC's, and Flashfire isn't as squishy as Novadive (Large Reactor instead of Sensors).

Completely and utterly false.

Laser Cannons and Quad have the exact same range (5 km) and the exact same range upgrades available (5%, and Range Capacitor). Quads also have a LOWER accuracy at max range (5% less than LC) with the same upgrades to accuracy available. They also have a higher tracking (1.5%/degree vs 1.2%/degree). All in all this means LC actually have a bigger effective cone, both in depth (range) and angle (tracking).

Yes, Quads does more damage than LC but it is less reliable. Add in the massive power draw of Quads (22) and LC is just the better weapon for Quads'n'Pods play.

The only reason why LC is almost never seen while Quads is quite seen is the ships using it are all weak or have much better options. Novadive has 20% less shield than Flashfire on any standard build and lacks Retro-Thruster, the arguably best engine for jousting. Spearpoint is just weak. The Comet Breaker is weak and has access to the second best primary weapon in the game : HLC. Condor has access to the best weapon in the game : BLC. All bombers should use HLC. In the end only two ships (Novadive and Spearpoint) should ever end up with LC and they are not meta. Note that very few ships uses Quads. And that's always because they don't have better. Clarion doesn't have better. StarGuard has a second slot that can be used for anything and be almost decent because HLC is the bread and butter of the ship no matter its second primary. Flashfire use Quads only because they don't have better weapon with a good range (RFL is ****, LLC has no range and BLC is even worse).

Well given that BLC's are supposedly the best overall laser component, is there any reason to use Quads over BLC's for Domination or general dogfighting on a Flashfire? Any reason to use Quads over BLC's for anything other than long-range jousting/popping Gunships?

Because if I'm not gonna use Quads, then I see no reason to use Pods either. Pods don't pair well with BLC's in my limited experience.

Alas, I'm getting off topic. Ugh.

Edited by Loadsamonie

I have the cartel scout on my mains so I can have both quad/pod and one with BLC/cluster, those that don't have the cartel scout I use the T1. Also I like barrel roll because you won't always be able to kill a good GS in 1 pass so when they move I BR away and set up for another run while retro is better for BLC/clusters and dogfighting.

Quads/pods, LC/pods are best for a stationary centered target because you can hold down the buttons instead of BLC being best for clicking. BLC/cluster can be used for GS killing just remember to start with BLC and then start the lock.

For dom BLC is better due to the AP (turrets and bombers) BLC/pods are a good combo for dom because they both have AP. There are always gunships in dom so quad/pod isn't bad, just need reloads because you will be using the pods to kill turrets.

Quads are better than lasers. Yes, lasers have better accuracy and tracking, as well as less power drainage. This doesn't mean Quads aren't better.

If you check the average dps, you will see that you have to be quite a bit off center (or shooting at a very high evasion target) for lasers to deal higher average damage. Is that 5% less accuracy at max range really important? Possibly, in fringe situations. Is the power drainage important? Almost never, assuming you take aim properly, and don't "spray and pray".

Quads also have the added bonus of a high DPSh, which is in fact even higher than that of HLC for a certain range window.

BLCs aren't the best blasters in the game, although the do excel in more areas than any other. I don't think there is such a thing as " best blasters", only worst. Quads will destroy anything without CP in close to medium range, so they excel there. BLCs will only beat Quads if the ship firing them is given a chance to outmaneuver you - something fairly easy to prevent with proper positioning and movement. Since ships with BLCs don't have CP, Quads can counter them effectively.

So overall, there is no reason to take lasers over quads, even if you had the choice (only the sledgehammer has it...).

Getting back on subject, OP: I don't want the option for in-game component changes. For one, this would make the game even more difficult to newcomers. The main reason is that it would make the grind much harder, and players already suffer for it. No ship would be completely mastered until it would be completed (or as near completed as you can get while skipping the junk).

I also like the adaptations that must be made by swapping ships to fit the needs of the team, and trying to build a bar with the most answers to different situations.

One more thing. Pods do pair well with BLCs - you lose your ability to make enemy scouts break and run, but you gain a lot of burst. Each build has its pros and cons, of course. Edited by Greezt