What is it good for now?

MusicRider

What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing.

Players in other forum sections complain about Sliced parts being in every recipe, even artificer and biochem complaining about sliced tech parts in their recipes.

So it's useful for absolutely everything now.

Edited by Falensawino

• 1 month later...
Absolutely nothing.

Players in other forum sections complain about Sliced parts being in every recipe, even artificer and biochem complaining about sliced tech parts in their recipes.

So it's useful for absolutely everything now.

While slicing parts are needed in practicually every crafting skill, the parts however, are not worth much and certainly not worth gathering unless its to get and sell rank 8 artefact quality slicing parts, that can sell for roughly 29,999-39,999cr each unit of the stuff, so once you get 20, then it is more then profitable, but that is only if you are lucky with the mission crits and at Influence rank 20, that isn't always the case, well this is on the Red Eclypse EU server, pricing may differ on other servers.

Edited by JamieKirby

• 7 months later...
I could have sworn Slicing used to be a required cs to go with Cybertech a long time ago? Mind you I've been away from the game nearly 18 months

Scavenging and Underworld Trading are the default recommendations for Cybertech, but as with many of the crew skills, Slicing is recommended as an alternative to either Scavenging or UT if you already have those skills elsewhere, as Slicing gives many of the "odd" components that many crafting schematics need.

That "Slicing as an alternative crew skill" vibe has always been there, but it was re-inforced when KotFE hit, with a major re-organisation of the component requirements for the crafting professions.

• 3 weeks later...
While on topic of slicing, is it intentional or a bug that Grade 8 purple is much rarer than Grade 9 purple? Plus it has only one rich mission versus two for 9.

ALL the gathering and mission skills are littered with "missing" missions, not just grade 8 slicing. Not so much a bug as an oversight (a "bug" implies broken code, in my estimation they simply did not include all the missions they said they would therefore it is an oversight) As for your assessment that grade 8 is more rare than grade 9....numbers please.

How many missions did you run of each? (Honestly anything less than a few hundred of each, and your sample is too small)

What influence rank are the companions you are running them with? (if they vary widely [i.e. you run grade 9s on rank 30 and grade 8 on rank 20] then your data is skewed)

Do you have specific documentation? (a spreadsheet with all pertinent data would work)

Edited by psandak

ALL the gathering and mission skills are littered with "missing" missions, not just grade 8 slicing. Not so much a bug as an oversight (a "bug" implies broken code, in my estimation they simply did not include all the missions they said they would therefore it is an oversight) As for your assessment that grade 8 is more rare than grade 9....numbers please.

How many missions did you run of each? (Honestly anything less than a few hundred of each, and your sample is too small)

What influence rank are the companions you are running them with? (if they vary widely [i.e. you run grade 9s on rank 30 and grade 8 on rank 20] then your data is skewed)

Do you have specific documentation? (a spreadsheet with all pertinent data would work)

Bug or oversight - what does it matter if players don't get intended result? I'm a programmer, so I know very well how end user do not care for the reason.

As for running the mission, all on level 50 companions. Adaptive Circuitry shows up once in a blue moon. Since I need both 8 and 9 purple and given than 9 should be twice more present in my storage I can conclude that I have abundance of 9s and shortage of 8. around 1:7 ratio. I do not calculate number of missions run, this is a game, not a science project, but result speaks against the assumption. I do not believe this is bad RNG.

Another interesting thing, on 9s I get a lot more failures than on 8s, even with level 50 companion.

Bug or oversight - what does it matter if players don't get intended result? I'm a programmer, so I know very well how end user do not care for the reason.

As for running the mission, all on level 50 companions. Adaptive Circuitry shows up once in a blue moon. Since I need both 8 and 9 purple and given than 9 should be twice more present in my storage I can conclude that I have abundance of 9s and shortage of 8. around 1:7 ratio. I do not calculate number of missions run, this is a game, not a science project, but result speaks against the assumption. I do not believe this is bad RNG.

Another interesting thing, on 9s I get a lot more failures than on 8s, even with level 50 companion.

Well...

regarding failures: it is a flat 5% chance regardless of influence rank, grade, and difficulty. You said it yourself that you are running more grade 9 missions than grade 8 so you would fail more often.

regarding mission tracking: I agree it's tedious, but I have in fact done it several times to disprove claims like yours. So unless you can provide hard numbers, your conclusions can be chalked up to the fact that most people remember and report the bad more than the good. I'm sorry, but I have seen too many of these claims get disproved with hard numbers to accept yours at face value.

Alright, I'll run 100 missions for 8s and 9s and we'll see the result. It might take some time though.

realize that with only 100 missions each there will be a big margin of error. Just preparing you for when your results are off by a significant amount.

The last time I mission tracked, I stopped at ~1600 total missions (honestly, I had planned to go to 5000 but I could not take it anymore :p).

whats good now is making color crystals just something on making credits on crew skills. making indestructible crystals is worth it they can be worth 250k of credits and the more you make and the more you sell them in one shot in the GTN you can get millions of swtor credits that's what's good about crafting you can sell and make items for weapon colors :D. also what would also be good is to make more color schematics for crafting crystals that would be a nice credit farm. this was just little something to people who don't or do know :) Edited by CommunityDroidEU
referral link is not allowed

realize that with only 100 missions each there will be a big margin of error. Just preparing you for when your results are off by a significant amount.

The last time I mission tracked, I stopped at ~1600 total missions (honestly, I had planned to go to 5000 but I could not take it anymore :p).

Mission can have three possible outcomes, right? Failure, success and critical success.

What confidence interval you aimed with sample of 5000? Can you provide means and standard deviations from your test? (sorry if you already posted these values before, I couldn't find them)

Mission can have three possible outcomes, right? Failure, success and critical success.

yes.

Failure is supposed to be flat 5%

simple success vs critical success will vary depending on the companion influence rank. with max influence:

simple success would 55%

critical success would be 40%

What confidence interval you aimed with sample of 5000? Can you provide means and standard deviations from your test? (sorry if you already posted these values before, I couldn't find them)

No problem my results would be scattered all over the place usually in "crit rate is broken" threads.

I'm afraid I cannot locate my data from the 1600 mission run I did. However, I did find several other runs all be them smaller and they are all pre-4.0.

• I had a 295 mission run where the overall crit rate was 24.07% (when the best crit chance was 25%)
  • I had a 496 mission run where the overall crit rate was only 17.54% (where the average crit chance 20.28%)
  • I had a 978 mission run where:
    • just max affection crit rate worked out to 18.39%
    • +1 crit & max affection worked out to 20.45%
    • +2 crit & max affection worked out to 17.10% (ouch)
    • +5 crit & max affection worked out to 28.92% (wow)
    • overall crit rate worked out 19.12%

But 17% of those missions were "orange difficulty" and therefore their base crit chance was only 10% instead 15%. Remember pre-4.0 max affection gave 5% and then you had companion specific bonuses of 1%, 2% or 5%. So just max affection = 15% or 20% depending on mission difficulty: orange = 10%, yellow, green, gray = 15%

[*]And I had a 691 crafting run where I was tracking RE chance (back when it was only 20%) and the RE chance was 20.17%

In all cases, I calculated the margin of error at +/-5% or more. So all those numbers fall within the calculated margin of error

Edited by psandak

I realize your post wasn't directed at me, but in case this is of any value, here is a rather extensive test I did back in the 3.0 time period, that used a sample size of 1000 crew missions (meticulously logged) that showed behavior of RNG as expected:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=782798

I didn't bother to run this test again in 4.0.

I've seen many complaints about RNG in this game, but in most cases they usually fall under the umbrella of the Gambler's Fallacy.

I have yet to see, in the 4+ years I've visited this forum, any poster EVER accurately document failed crew skills RNG. But I have seen posts documenting it working as expected. Take from that what you will.

Edited by Khevar

Thx mates, this is a good start.

I still think thousands of missions is too much, specially for estimating RNG.

Since I didn't play before 4.0 I need to ask - did Mako or Blizz had any bonus to slicing earlier in the game? I'm asking simply because Mako is running my 9 missions and Blizz 8, and as I said before I have significantly more 9 purple mats.

I'll do these tests when my sub runs out, so it'll be a while before I post results back.