Conquest Crafting

Horacio

Another week gone and another where I had difficulty rallying the troops and what I hear most of all from my guild mates is that "I hate crafting" or I don't want to do conquest if its all about crafting"

And I get that. I tend to believe that is a widely held mindset among players and their views on Conquest in general. To note: I scored 2.2 million points on four characters in my guild this week. It was not how I wanted to spend my in game time (standign in my strongholds, log in/logout/swap characters/sort crap/rinse/repeat) Its clear I like crafting and have made many credits from it. There comes a point where you recognize your personal wants from a game don't align with most peoples....oh, wait, this is an MMO, most people are unfamiliar with that concept....anyhoo...

I thought the idea behind conquest was to draw get more mileage out of old content. (yeah, that in its self doesn't sit well with many folks but...) instead, its a matter of dispatching companions and crafting like crazy to be competative.

Crafting should be a big part of it because it serves a wide swath of players, just not all of them.

I would like to see BW adjust the scoring to reward actually leaving your SH or fleet and tackling old content at a higher rate. Or cap how much crafting can add to a player's score to the guild. (if they want to get their PERSONAL all on crafting, fine, whatever)

And, as a disclaimer, I believe we are near the top on our server for Imperial guilds and have won 6 or 7 planets. But this could be construde as a whine, perhaps. That said, I scored 2.2 mil this week for my guild and we got whooped because people just don't like the mindless crafting. And I shouldn't need to point out how many credits that burned up in the process (net positive for the week to be sure on selling crap but my cargo hold is.....well, alot more tidy now)

So yeah, a bit rambling and admittedly a little whiny but I think more people would enjoy it if the rewards were tied more to actual game play.

When I first heard of Conquest I envisioned this awesome thing where you actually, you know, invaded a planet somehow. Granted I never expected some sort of huge planet wide brawl even in my wildest dreams, but even so the reality of conquering planets was disappointing.

Also, the icon for the end result of crafting troop transports is stupid as hell.

• 3 months later...

I would like to see BW adjust the scoring to reward actually leaving your SH or fleet and tackling old content at a higher rate. Or cap how much crafting can add to a player's score to the guild. (if they want to get their PERSONAL all on crafting, fine, whatever)

Necro thread, but I couldn't agree more. I don't mind crafting for my personal conquest points, but the idea that every single week crafting wins conquest is frankly, BS. It isn't the guild working together. Often times it's 2-5 people craft bombing in a guild of 100-200 people. Is that REALLY the goal BW wants to promote? I mean, I realize it's a credit sink, but come on.

It's nonsensical that all of these months have passed after the conquest system went live and the only change they implemented was to take repeatable points out of specific flashpoints. How about crafting points get restructured so that you can meet your personal conquest from crafting and ONE of the conquest events you can craft bomb the crap out of people for 1-2m points across your characters.

It's also nonsensical that the conquest weeks focused on the bounty hunter event, gree or rakghoul resurgence events basically awards little to no points for actually doing things around that event. Like dailys should give conquest points. Killing the tunnel lurker should give points, the open world boss, etc.

Like GSF, Warzones, and Strongholds I wish the conquest system was something BW would focus on actually improving especially since it's in dire need of rebalancing.

IMO Conquests has gone the way of GSF - a small group dedicated to the effort are doing so, a majority will participate when they get the urge, and the rest ignore it and do other things. It was a delay tactic - a relatively easy system to implement but one that kept the masses busy for a while. Yes, some of the features were clearly broken and so the devs "fixed" them (with a heavy hand). But beyond that the only changes made to the Conquest system since is a Conquest to include SoR content planets (again, easy to implement).

My guess, Conquests will not get a revamp/adjusted until 4.0 is approaching but no new 3.x content is forthcoming - again a delay tactic: give the masses a reason to play current and older content while 4.0 gets full attention.

I've been saying for a while that the entire concept of conquest needs to be revisted and given some major revamps all across the board.

Going through some quick thoughts again:

* They must eliminate all "once per legacy" objectives from the conquest format. Replace them with repeatable objectives restricted by appropriate dailies and weeklies instead so that the restrictions are only per character. That way we can go after whichever objectives we want on any character instead of locking ourselves out of a lot of valid options after the first character completes them all.

* Add a "Conquest Mission Terminal" to every planet or zone which can ever be part of conquests. Each planet will have its own set of dailiy and weekly missions for everything they can possibly think to include. (killing lots of planet-level NPCs, killing named NPCs, doing heroics, killing enemy commanders, killing enemy faction base guards, killing the world boss, getting pvp kills, etc.) Then every conquest event can have a nice clean list of objectives with one objective for each planet covered that week which just simply says to complete any conquest daily/weekly for that planet. (So for example, on the heroics they might have a conquest mission corresponding to every heroic on the planet as well as a conquest weekly which lists out those conquest dailies. The conquest points would technically be awarded for completion of those instead of tying to the heroics directly. Completion of the heroic marks the conquest daily as completed which triggers the conquest objective that awards points for completion of any mission from that conquest terminal.)

* In the above idea, dailies zones like Black Hole, Oricon, etc. would feature conquest terminals as well. And among the missions on these terminals would be missions corresponding to the zone's dailies and weekly. So those can be valid targets all week instead of only being good for points on a run through the weekly.

* Reconsider ways to score warzones and starfighter so that some amount of real effort to contribute to the team will always be factored in even if that activity is not a major focus for that week. (Minimize the "I was there for it, who cares if I was AFK the whole time" participation points.)

* I would actually suggest opening up what counts for conquest points in crafting. I want to see almost all crafting count for something, not just the war supplies. But I would also impose some hefty restrictions and rate limits on it. The objective would work on a counter. So for example (no numbers stated here are intended to be final) it might say that the points are for every 100 items crafted instead of awarding points for every single item crafted. However certain things would count more towards that total. If it's something that can be crafted quicker (5 minutes or less?) and with cheaper materials (grades 1-2?), it's most likely only going to add 1 to the counter for each one you make. Get up into items that take about an hour to craft and use better materials and you might be adding 5 or 10 to the counter with each one crafted. Something that's more of a massive undertaking to craft with very long craft times and the really expensive materials will be more likely to add 15 or 20 to the counter with each one crafted. Only during the crafting themed weeks would we ever see a return of conquest points being earned for every single item crafted (and of course that would continue to only be war supplies (and also prefab kits in 1 of the 2 craft weeks))

* Possible addition or alternative to the crafting idea: Maybe they could add some sort of crafting mission terminal as well. The terminal would feature crafting dailies and weeklies, possibly working on similar rules as what I described above with a counter and with higher level items that cost more / take longer counting for more towards the completion of that mission. Perhaps the crafting conquest objective could even count items as I described above while also including a special condition so that completion of a crafting mission is worth 100 on the counter. (That way you could get extra points for a daily mission without being blocked from getting anything else out of crafting that day. The points for crafting would remain infinitely repeatable. But in addition to those points you'd also be able to get bonus points once per day from the mission.)

* Also, if possible on the crafting revamp I would even suggest considering making crew skill missions count for something as well. Based on the time required for each mission of course, completed crew missions would also add to a counter. (And in the crafting mission terminal idea there could be missions specifically for crew missions as well.) So even our efforts to rebuild our supplies of the materials that we've spent on crafting can be worth something.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

I really like the idea about conquest terminals.. It would be more "in touch" with planets you are conquering not just an abstract counter in GUI. Especially when the conquest would force you to go look for some weird corners of maps or actually compete with other teams for some resource - ex: world bosses. Even GSI would be a cool fit here.

Right now the infinite objectives takes out all the fun out of it. It would be better if the big conquest point goals were limited. Let's say Heroics.This would encourage guilds to rally other players to engage and daily limits would ask your guildis to come online each day for team effort. Right now it is too much each on its own , esp for crafting which is just spamming points (and sinking credits for mat).

• 4 weeks later...