Spawn Camping

Lenlo

I LOVE GSF, but this is silly. On the last few death matches, I've seen spawn campers blowing people up as they come in on whatever ship. How the hell is there no mechanic where they get blown up for getting within range of the spawns?

Completely game breaking.

I LOVE GSF, but this is silly. On the last few death matches, I've seen spawn campers blowing people up as they come in on whatever ship. How the hell is there no mechanic where they get blown up for getting within range of the spawns?

Completely game breaking.

TDM spawns used to have capital ship turrets just like Domination matches.

It led to games where a team would try to get ahead by a few kills, then all switch to gunships and turtle on one of their capital ships.

It was far more gamebreaking than a matchmaking system that sometimes pits rank beginners against highly skilled vets.

Matchmaking screws up some TDMs.

Turret turtling tended to screw up most or all TDMs.

I suggest faction switching, doing /cjoin gsf, and asking if a few good players would be willing to swap factions to even things out.

You can also switch spawn points to try to escape, but if there are three or more really good pilots against a whole team of new players, the vets may be able to camp all of the spawns at the same time.

Edited by Ramalina

Well then, the fix to the last issue you described would be to jack up the range of the ship turrets (30k?) so no one can get close and no one can get kills from sitting on top of a capital ship.

It doesn't fix anything.

All you will get is constant exploits where some teams will score a kill or two to get ahead in the score and retreat to their cap ships until the end of the game. So the other team will have to just sit there doing nothing until the timer runs out. What fun.

TDM is a bad mode in general. You notice ground PVP version of this doesnt have this problem because...1 spawn only.

If GSF did a death match with no respawns, could end up with more interesting fights. Sure gunships would seem to be the better option, but properly kitted scouts could take them out as well.

Just limit it to teams of 5. Even if it is completely imbalanced it will be over faster.

Why I like Arena matches so much. Fun or horrible, the match will be over soon and I can move on with my dailies.

The best thing is to change spawn, If the enemy team is able to cover all spawns, well...the match is severely unbalanced and should end ASAP.

I agree thought that the spawn mechanic is silly. While a player has a hyperspace animation, his ship is already visible and... targettable, but can't be turned and can't use special abilities...

Spoken like a true noobie. Would you rather we still play domination mode inn 2 maps with battlescout??? Deathmatch is a great mode and guess what go ahead and camp so I can get all the beautiful red balls and kill ur team 1 shot at a time Edited by Krixarcs

In all TDM matchs you can choose different spawn points, it can let you & your teammate to reorganize and establish solid defences...

No i'm joking you gonna get rekt over and over until 50 frags was reach, enjoy.

Welcome to GSF !

My personnal tips is to suicide yourself to make it faster.

Edited by Jazyra

As a note to discouraged pilots:

I'm on the better end of mediocre when it comes to pilot skill, prefer to handicap myself by flying in a strike, and have spent a lot of time on new GSF alts with stock ships on various servers.

Even subject to the above limitations, it is almost always possible to break out of a spawn camping situation in a TDM.

Use the map to pick a spawn point that either doesn't have a lot of enemy ships near it, or that has a very short sprint to get to usable cover. Ideally, a spawn point with both of those features.

Then concentrate on getting to that near cover alive. Once there, stock up on engine energy and run for cover that's outside of the sensor range of the campers, (if you can snag an engine power overcharge, the purple ones, that helps a lot).

Now that you're free and clear, try to find an engine overcharge that's fairly close to a damage overcharge. Grab the engine overcharge first, then grab the damage overcharge, then coming from the rear pick off targets on the edge of the campers' group.

If even that fails, you can try turning around as soon as you spawn (pitch up to turn 180 degrees) and then boost a bit and get behind and under your cap ship to use it as cover. Try a bomber with Railgun drone and seeker mines, it'll annoy the scouts at the very least.

In the end, spawn camping translates as: " your team really sucks at defensive flying."

The only cure is lots of practice at defensive flying. Practice takes time in GSF matches where you're probably not doing very well. Even so, if you use strategic thinking and sneakiness you can reduce the amount of skill needed to break out by a very large margin.