what is the dumbest/silliest/goofiest things you've done when you 1st started

saiyanjedidmv

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is bad lol. I am sure I will get scorned for this, so let me start by giving a little back story. SWTOR was not only my first MMO, it was my first PC game, and not only was it my first PC game, it was my first RPG. K, so here it is...

So I am in my first Flashpoint ever and I am playing my first toon ever. Then I get my first chance to roll on my first piece of gear. Of course I hit need on Strength gear as a Bounty Hunter. The conversation went as follows.....

TANK: Damn, bro. Are you really trying to Ninja at such a low level.

ME: I am not a Ninja, I am a Bounty Hunter. Bounty Hunters can be Ninjas?

TANK: Anyone can be a Ninja. Why did you roll on gear you cannot use?

ME: I can use it

TANK: lol you are a BH

ME: What is a BH?

TANK: *********** noob

ME: Sorry, I am new

TANK: Do not roll on gear you cannot use

ME: But it says the gear will upgrade my strength

TANK: YOU DO NOT NEED STRENGTH

ME: Why?

TANK: **** this

and then he left lol. Shortly after I googled everything I could about MMORPGs and learned many things. Things like main stat, need vs greed, the trinity, crafting, level appropriate content, rotations, min/max, and so on. Although the noob moments were far and few between after that, I still cringe when I think about my first truly noob moment.

Well, when we started as small group in 2011 we played through almost all FPs with little to no knowledge about mechanics. It's not difficult to guess what happened. But even with insane repair bills, it was so much fun to learn the mechanics by doing stuff instead of reading guides. No "you stupid tank no know fight!?!!11!" complaints.

Malgus, I still hate you!

Oh, and knocking enemies, I mean credits, to endless pit was really smart thing to do.

Edited by Halinalle

Looking back through my screenshots folder, I can see that my first character (an Assassin DPS) spent over half her levelling experience in the tanking stance. I had no idea what tanks or DPS were, but I think the tooltip seemed to imply I would live longer in that stance. :)

Oh, and given any opportunity to fall off some high place to my death, I would take it. But to be honest, that's not a "when I first started" thing, I still do it today.

Edited by PLynkes

I rolled a sentinel because it could use two lightsabers.

Ran around on fleet at level 47 for about 3 weeks chatting to random people and doing the odd PVP game before being told to hit 50 for raids.

Vendored the white crystal I bought off the vendor back in 1.2 because I needed repair money and thought it looked dumb and the vendor would always be there.

That's all I can really think of for now :p

During early access, I got my main character into the upper 20's and then decided I'd play with the character creator a little bit and make a few others just to see what they looked like.

Then late one night just after the official launch, rather than going to bed, I decided I'd delete a few of those random characters I'd made so I could start on some 'actual' alts.

In the process, I accidentally deleted my main character because I wasn't paying attention.

Back then they didn't have the ability to restore characters yet so it was 3 weeks before I recovered him.

YOU CAN'T BEAT ME:

I played for the first 8 months on French Server, while I don't speak any French.

Why: Ii was my first MMO, and I figured that French/German/English are just a places where servers are physically. Reasoning France is close to my country I'll get no lags, and created my first character on Battle Meditation (or something similar -it was before the merges).

My first MMO, so initially I played solo -learning to play

When I realized everyone speaks French it was too late -my character was too advanced, and server transfers were either impossible or too hard for me -newbe to try.

It was funny though -most people berated me for trying to talk to them in English. Unless they needed something from me -like pull someone up to the datacron, or when I had 4 rakata energy cubes. Suddenly they understood ;)

Then with my Commando I assumed persona of "foreign soldier" -and managed to do some group content with some people.

Finally transfered to Progenitor.

I can tell you though -the prices on Battle Meditation GTN were much better.

Shortly after dinging 50 on Corellia with my sniper, I was sent a tell asking whether I wanted to join up for a Directive 7 HM run and I said yes. My gear was still beyond bad (still mostly greens with only a few blues) and I was using a suboptimal rotation to say the least, so that we hit the enrage timer on Bulwark every single time. The tank was polite about it and said that maybe one of us was undergeared for this. I answered that this was possibly the case for me and I bowed out wishing them luck.

Funny enough, that tank ended up being the GM of a guild I joined after my old one merged into it.

Oh boy, it really has been about 3 years :eek:

This was my first MMO but I considered myself a good gamer. My now-fiance got my into it because he loves Star Wars and I love gaming, we played together for about 20 levels before I became much more into it than he. :D

I remember un-equipping a headpiece because it looked ugly- didn't know about the "Hide Head Slot" option.

I got lost a lot and died a lot.

I had to look up all the fandangled MMO acronyms after being told to CC a droid (which I hadn't trained at that point so I was even more confused).

When I got to level 50 with help from my more-experienced guildies, I was a scoundrel healer wearing a Willpower implant and no relics (a travesty!). After I fixed my gear up, a guildie told me to rearrange my skill bar and set me on the path to keybinding instead of clicking, which was really hard for a while.

I just remember a lot of general confusion, and I also remember working really hard to understand everything and how to be a good player and having a lot of fun, maybe more fun than I sometimes have now getting frustrated at new people. The irony is not lost on me. ;) It heartens me when I see people learning and getting better though.

My first Operation experience ever, in which I had a legendarily abysmal perfomance, such that even after 3 years it is still bought up in casually mocking conversations.

I was DPS'ing as a Vigilance Guardian in whatever Strength gear I could find (regardless of the fact whether or not it was intended for a tank or dps), with a tanking shield and didn't even have all of my skills trained, let alone put them on the skill bar (I didn't put Dispatch on my skill bar for example). My rotation was so bad that I kept using Force Stasis rotationally because, hey it's free and does damage! Of course I couldn't kill my assigned Council member in EV, despite the fact that it was only 8man story mode.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

So this is bad lol. I am sure I will get scorned for this, so let me start by giving a little back story. SWTOR was not only my first MMO, it was my first PC game, and not only was it my first PC game, it was my first RPG. K, so here it is...

So I am in my first Flashpoint ever and I am playing my first toon ever. Then I get my first chance to roll on my first piece of gear. Of course I hit need on Strength gear as a Bounty Hunter. The conversation went as follows.....

TANK: Damn, bro. Are you really trying to Ninja at such a low level.

ME: I am not a Ninja, I am a Bounty Hunter. Bounty Hunters can be Ninjas?

TANK: Anyone can be a Ninja. Why did you roll on gear you cannot use?

ME: I can use it

TANK: lol you are a BH

ME: What is a BH?

TANK: *********** noob

ME: Sorry, I am new

TANK: Do not roll on gear you cannot use

ME: But it says the gear will upgrade my strength

TANK: YOU DO NOT NEED STRENGTH

ME: Why?

TANK: **** this

and then he left lol. Shortly after I googled everything I could about MMORPGs and learned many things. Things like main stat, need vs greed, the trinity, crafting, level appropriate content, rotations, min/max, and so on. Although the noob moments were far and few between after that, I still cringe when I think about my first truly noob moment.

Amazing, this is like the same exact thing that happened to me, almost word for word, when i started playing WOW many many moons ago. I was playing a warlock in my very first group run in gnomeregan and I rolled on a piece of agility gear. At least two of the other players in the group hammered me with whispers for almost 10 minutes over a stupid piece of lvl 19 gear.

It was my introduction to main stats, as well as learning how much people could get upset over a video game.

Oh lets see if can remember half the newbie things I've done.

Wore wrong stats whenever the tooltip showed two "main" stats as buffing the ranged/melee/force/tech tabs. I sorta blame the design on that though, totally understand why players would think they need both those stats.

Didn't know the difference between a focus and shield generator.

Wore medium armor well into level 25+ on my Jugg.

My first toon was an assassin "tank" who was still in lighting charge and didn't realize we got a "bag" for offhands upon choosing the advanced class. Needless to say, I died quite a bit. That inquisitor class mission on balmorra with the spawning colicoids was real nightmare anyway, try doing it with no offhand and in the wrong stance lol.

Didn't know what "use your interrupt" meant.

Didn't realize we can use up to 4 hotbars. Why do I only have 12 slots when I have like 20 abilities (at the time)?

....I'm sure there are more. The one only "common" mistake I never make was not picking up the advanced class quest upon reaching fleet, probably due to dumb luck on the first toon. The equipment bag one still gets me when I think about it, It literally took to my third toon until I realized we got that in our inventory. I'd say that was my worst/most embarrassing one.

Edited by Ridickilis

Not as good as some of yours, but:

My first character (and my main to this day) is a Biochemist Sage. I spent quite a bit of time REing stims in order to create a reusable Strength stim for my Guardian friend, and when I triumphally made it and sent it... we both found out you had to be a Biochemist to use it - he was a Synthweaver.

And much later on, when I was a seasoned level 50 and supposedly knew what I was doing, I did more or less the same with an artifact Strength implant that turned on to be Bind on Pickup. Not even the Consular's companions have any use for it.

Also. Not sure if it counts as dumb/silly/goofy, but: remember when Early Access was assigned in waves, some players started to play on Tuesday, then a few more the next day, so on? I got my Early Access notification on Friday, the day of my company's Christmas dinner. Which was as much of a boozefest as is customary. So I got home completely hammered, created my Sage, started to play, and promptly died on the first mission because I couldn't even see what was going on in the screen. And the next day when I sobered up, I met the dreaded Server Queue. So my Early Access got precious little use until the next week, when either Bioware fixed it or half the people ragequit and I could actually log in.

Edited by redfurry

When I first started I had made a consular and an inquisitor.

Khem used Str...but I couldn't understand why Qyzen had aim stuff on initially....Because he was Melee..why would a melee guy use aim? And the MIRROR class's first companion used Str....

So I replaced ALL of Qyzen's gear with Str tanking gear.

Don't remember how long it was before I figured it out but it was probably a good month or so.

Edited by Suromir