Lightning 3.0 rotation help

Daemonxel

Was wondering if there is anyone that can help me out here. I am reading about a ton of sorcs pulling 3.5 4.3 dps and I dont seem to be able to break 2.5

acc rating 417 (106%) [force]

crit 26.91%

surge 73%

712 power

{p} = proc

rotation:

PS->CD->AF->TB->CL {p}-> Force speed-> LB x2 {p}-> CL{p} ->TB ->LF ->CD

rinse and use CL whenever procs.

so not sure what I am doing wrong

full 186 & 2x 192 gear

relics 178 serindiputious and relentless (havnt been able to afford the others yet)

same with augs most are the old 156 willpower but I started putting in overkill 186 in the new 192 pieces.

This and more will be up on dulfy soon, and there could be edits in between... but:

Ideal opener:

Precast CD > AF > Offensive Cooldowns > TB > LF > Recklessness > CL > Force Storm > TB > Priority list

Note - You want to use Polarity shift before your Attack Adrenal (or any cooldown without a timed debuff on your bar). The 20% Alacrity will reduce the cooldown of your adrenal from 3 minutes to 2 minutes and 30 seconds without any additional Alacrity (The math doesn’t seem to add up, but it is indeed 30 seconds and not 36 seconds). It does not work with Unlimited power because you're locked out for 5 minutes either way.

Ideally you'd also have a merc using their 10% Alacrity buff before the group uses their cooldowns as well for even more time shaved off of cooldowns.

Rotation through first 5 Thundering Blasts:

Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Polarity Shift + Attack Adrenal + Unlimited Power > Thundering Blast > Lightning Flash > Recklessness > Chain Lightning > Force Storm > Thundering Blast > Chain Lightning > Lightning Flash > Lightning Bolt > Crushing Darkness > Lightning Bolt > Lightning Bolt > Thundering Blast > Chain Lightning > Lightning Flash > Lightning Bolt > Lightning Bolt > Lightning Bolt > Lightning Bolt > Thundering Blast > Crushing Darkness > Chain Lightning > Lightning Flash > Lightning Bolt > Lightning Bolt > Lightning Bolt > Thundering Blast > Chain Lightning.

There’s another promising rotation using Force Storm a lot more, up to ~90 hits on a 1 mill dummy, but I’m not going to go over that here as it’s not nearly as viable for mechanic-filled operations and is in all likelihood getting toned down anyways.

Priority list (assuming your CL proc isn't about to run off, which it never should be):

1. Thundering Blast (with Affliction)

2. Crushing Darkness (with proc)

3. Lightning Flash

4. Chain Lightning (with proc)

5. Lightning Bolt

Mobile priority list:

1. Thundering Blast (with Affliction)

2. Lightning Flash

3. Chain Lightning (with proc)

4. Lightning Bolt (with proc)

5. Shock

6. Force Slow

7. Electrocute

8. Overload

AoE priority list (3+ enemies):

1. Chain Lightning (with proc)

2. Force Storm

3. Overload (mobile or low on force)

Recklessness priority list (single target):

1. Chain Lightning (with proc)

2. Force Storm (if you can get 3+ ticks on target)

3. Lightning Flash

4. Lightning Bolt

Recklessness priority list (2+ targets):

1. Force Storm

2. Chain Lightning (using this first with 2+ targets will eat both stacks)

3. Lightning Flash

4. Lightning Bolt

Force Speed use:

1. When you need the instant LB for mobile combat (and you're not going to need Force Speed for the next 15 seconds).

2. When a relic proc/raid buff/Polarity Shift/whatever is going to wear off before your next LB cast finishes (and you're not going to need Force Speed for the next 15 seconds). This is highly situational and requires awareness + keybinds to pull off efficiently.

Using Force Speed on cooldown under normal circumstances is not a dps increase. The time before next cast is the same as if you hard casted it.

Gearing:

Accuracy (assuming you have 1% companion bonus. If you don't, get it!) - Personally I think that anything above 109.5% Force accuracy is sufficient. I'm sure the theorycrafters will come tell me how wrong I am, but I personally do not like going over the accuracy cap, and so I do not. It's up to you if you can live with a slight miss chance.

What I would personally recommend based on gear level:

186 gear (Dread Master) - 7 Accuracy pieces (~109.57% Accuracy) (add one augment to go over cap)

192 gear (Resurrected) - 6 Accuracy pieces + 1 Accuracy augment (~109.61% Accuracy) (add one more augment to go over cap)

198 gear (Revanite) - 6 Accuracy pieces (~109.63% Accuracy) (add one augment to go over cap)

Crit - I've done a lot of crit testing over the years (with game play, not math), and for me, the results are normally about the same on average (unless using insane amounts of crit, then it's lower). I try to just stick around 25% now and call it good, but there's probably some 'optimal crit' according to theorycrafters that I don't know. I'm currently at 239 crit rating (24.68% crit chance) and usually hover between 200-300. This could change in bis 198 gear, but I'm nowhere close to that yet!

Power - Everything that isn't crit.

Surge - At least 3 pieces of gears worth (306-360 depending on gear level). Can go higher if you feel inclined through augments (you’ll start hitting some diminishing returns though).

Alacrity - At least 1 piece of gears worth (102-120 depending on gear level). Can go higher if you feel inclined through augments.

Augments - Based on recent numbers from theorycrafters, they say Power augments are #1, with main stat just behind them. You will have more crit (~1.67% for me with full Willpower) with mainstat, more bonus damage with power, so choose whichever you prefer.

Augments are also a good way to make up any stats that you're missing from gear, or want to otherwise enhance. I was a bit low on surge with my current gear, so I dropped some Surge augments in to compensate.

Relics - Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution.

Set bonus - 6 piece Force-Master. It’s very possible that the old 4 piece + new 2 piece would be better, but I don’t have the gear currently to test properly. It will probably get nerfed if people start using it.

------------------

If this doesn't do anything for you, and you have the ability to make a youtube video for us to critique, that would be ideal. Nobody wants to sift through logs to find rotation problems :o

Edited by KTap

There’s another promising rotation using Force Storm a lot more, up to ~90 hits on a 1 mill dummy, but I’m not going to go over that here as it’s not nearly as viable for mechanic-filled operations and is in all likelihood getting toned down anyways.

it's fairly comfortable in raids so far, in my opinion. Only thing in the near future is the possible nerfbat.

Edited by Citruzz

it's fairly comfortable in raids so far, in my opinion. Only thing in the near future is the possible nerfbat.

I suppose for some fights it would be fine, but heavy movement/mechanic filled ones, I'm not sold on. Regardless, it's not intended unfortunately :p

What's the idea with Force storm on reck? Is it more effective then reck LF (mirror of TK gust, whatever it's name :p)?

Yes, the entire channel gets the increased crit chance, and Force Storm is very powerful even without every hit critting.

Edited by KTap

So, regarding using Force Storm in rotation…

I did some experimenting with this and a bit of napkin math, and I'm not actually convinced that it's as much of a gain as it is rumored to be. In other words, unless I'm missing something, the parses which show significant gains from using FS rotationally are simply getting lucky. Here's the rationale…

Unlike pre-3.0 (pre-2.0?), Force Storm cannot double-tick, even under Polarity Shift. This means that every activation of Force Storm is four potential double-ticks missed. Just looking at the proc effects, that's 1.2 seconds longer on Polarity Shift assuming you only use Force Storm *outside* of PS. If you use it inside of a PS window, then (going off memory here), that jumps to 3.2 seconds longer on Polarity Shift. Not an insignificant figure. The same argument applies to Recklessness if you have the six piece. The second problem is that the double-ticks are not a small amount of damage, relatively speaking. They push the expected damage value of Bolt up by quite a bit, making it much more competitive with even auto-crit Force Storm ticks (in fact, I'm almost positive that Bolt with average crits and average double-ticks has a higher expected damage value than 1.5 auto-crit ticks of Force Storm). Finally, using Force Storm rotationally outside of very specific windows results in delaying Crushing Darkness (more lost CD reduction on PS!) and/or Flash.

Force Storm is very, very, very powerful. Probably too powerful, as far as AoEs go, but I'm just not convinced that the math works out in its favor. Does anyone have more precise numbers which refutes this?

So, regarding using Force Storm in rotation…

I did some experimenting with this and a bit of napkin math, and I'm not actually convinced that it's as much of a gain as it is rumored to be. In other words, unless I'm missing something, the parses which show significant gains from using FS rotationally are simply getting lucky. Here's the rationale…

Unlike pre-3.0 (pre-2.0?), Force Storm cannot double-tick, even under Polarity Shift. This means that every activation of Force Storm is four potential double-ticks missed. Just looking at the proc effects, that's 1.2 seconds longer on Polarity Shift assuming you only use Force Storm *outside* of PS. If you use it inside of a PS window, then (going off memory here), that jumps to 3.2 seconds longer on Polarity Shift. Not an insignificant figure. The same argument applies to Recklessness if you have the six piece. The second problem is that the double-ticks are not a small amount of damage, relatively speaking. They push the expected damage value of Bolt up by quite a bit, making it much more competitive with even auto-crit Force Storm ticks (in fact, I'm almost positive that Bolt with average crits and average double-ticks has a higher expected damage value than 1.5 auto-crit ticks of Force Storm). Finally, using Force Storm rotationally outside of very specific windows results in delaying Crushing Darkness (more lost CD reduction on PS!) and/or Flash.

Force Storm is very, very, very powerful. Probably too powerful, as far as AoEs go, but I'm just not convinced that the math works out in its favor. Does anyone have more precise numbers which refutes this?

Precise numbers? No.

I did some testing a week ago using and not using Force Storm in my opener and per Recklessness and in both instances using Force Storm provided slightly more damage on average. The numbers are very premature due to all the RNG involved with crits and procs (and the limited testing), but at least per Recklessness it seemed to be worth using if you could actually hit it during a fight.

Opener with force storm

Average - 66,096 damage

Opener without force storm

Average - 63,066 damage

Recklessness with Chain Lightning (proc) / Force Storm (no relics)

25,321 (6.952 seconds)

25,257 (6.945 seconds)

27,386 (6.919 seconds) (Forked Lightning)

25,294 (7.009 seconds)

25,286 (7.026 seconds)

Average - 25,709 damage (6.97 seconds)

Recklessness without Force Storm (LF and CL + 3x LB) (no relics)

21,425 (7.882 seconds) (1/3 LB crit) (1x Forked Lightning - LF)

21,428 (7.746 seconds) (1/3 LB crit) (1x Forked Lightning - LB)

23,538 (7.559 seconds) (1/3 LB crit) (2x Forked Lightning - CL and LB)

19,094 (7.576 seconds) (0/3 LB crit) (0x Forked Lightning)

19,160 (7.448 seconds) (0/3 LB crit) (0x Forked Lightning)

Average - 20,929 damage (7.642 seconds)

Obviously this needs more testing, as there are so many variables (along with a healthy dose of ability delay on my ship). Can I even fit this in my rotation for this fight, is it worth prolonging CD/LF/even TB to get another few ticks from critting Force Storm, etc?

My guide should be up on Dulfy soon, and I'll edit as necessary as I get more time in operations/testing or if Force Storm ends up not being worth using or toned down, but for now, Force Storm on Recklessness is going in the guide.

Edited by KTap

I now haz teh precise numberz! Huzzah!

Ok, so going off my Sorc, who has a 192 OH, 186 MH, full 186 power augments, and optimized 180/186 mods, enhs and armorings. Lightning Bolt deals 3380-3507 damage. Force Storm deals 13030 damage. Forked Lightning is a 30% proc chance and deals 30% additional damage on proc, and the proc chance doubles under Polarity Shift. Force Storm has a 15% crit buff and a 30% surge buff. My native crit chance is 13.97%, and my native surge is 67.04%.

Put that all together, and we have the following expected values for DPS by ability:

• Lightning Bolt (no Polarity Shift): 2736.63
  • Lightning Bolt (Polarity Shift): 2962.59
  • Force Storm (no Recklessness): 2782.18
  • Force Storm (Recklessness): 4046.61

That last number… LOL.

In any case, you'll notice that the no-Recklessness Force Storm is indeed slightly better than Lightning Bolt without Polarity Shift. However, these numbers do not account for the DPS increase from the cooldown reduction on Polarity Shift, or the DPS loss from delaying Crushing Darkness or Lightning Flash. Thus, I feel that we can fairly definitively conclude that using Force Storm as a general filler is not optimal. I know there are some crazy-high parses out there that use this technique. Sorry, but they're lucky parses. You would have done even better using Bolt.

Conversely, using that Recklessness charge on Force Storm is absolutely friggin insane damage. Technically, this isn't an entirely fair comparison, since I'm effectively pretending that we drop the second Recklessness charge on the floor if we don't use Force Storm. However, there's no way the DPS increase from using Recklessness on Lightning Flash accounts for the massive disparity between Force Storm and Lightning Bolt. Thus, I think we can conclude with equal definitiveness that using the second charge of Recklessness on Force Storm is optimal. This is part of where the crazy DPS jump that we're seeing in these parses is coming from.

As it turns out, even removing both the crit talent and the surge talent from Force Storm isn't enough to Bolt better. Close, and maybe close enough that accounting for Polarity Shift, Recklessness+Flash and delays in CD and LF might push Bolt over the line, but in and of itself, not so much. Basically, Force Storm needs a slight nerf, in addition to the removal of the crit/surge talent.

Alternatively, Recklessness could be adjusted so that it no longer affects Force Storm. This one change would be enough to remove it from rotation.

I now haz teh precise numberz! Huzzah!

Ok, so going off my Sorc, who has a 192 OH, 186 MH, full 186 power augments, and optimized 180/186 mods, enhs and armorings. Lightning Bolt deals 3380-3507 damage. Force Storm deals 13030 damage. Forked Lightning is a 30% proc chance and deals 30% additional damage on proc, and the proc chance doubles under Polarity Shift. Force Storm has a 15% crit buff and a 30% surge buff. My native crit chance is 13.97%, and my native surge is 67.04%.

Put that all together, and we have the following expected values for DPS by ability:

• Lightning Bolt (no Polarity Shift): 2736.63
  • Lightning Bolt (Polarity Shift): 2962.59
  • Force Storm (no Recklessness): 2782.18
  • Force Storm (Recklessness): 4046.61

That last number… LOL.

In any case, you'll notice that the no-Recklessness Force Storm is indeed slightly better than Lightning Bolt without Polarity Shift. However, these numbers do not account for the DPS increase from the cooldown reduction on Polarity Shift, or the DPS loss from delaying Crushing Darkness or Lightning Flash. Thus, I feel that we can fairly definitively conclude that using Force Storm as a general filler is not optimal. I know there are some crazy-high parses out there that use this technique. Sorry, but they're lucky parses. You would have done even better using Bolt.

Conversely, using that Recklessness charge on Force Storm is absolutely friggin insane damage. Technically, this isn't an entirely fair comparison, since I'm effectively pretending that we drop the second Recklessness charge on the floor if we don't use Force Storm. However, there's no way the DPS increase from using Recklessness on Lightning Flash accounts for the massive disparity between Force Storm and Lightning Bolt. Thus, I think we can conclude with equal definitiveness that using the second charge of Recklessness on Force Storm is optimal. This is part of where the crazy DPS jump that we're seeing in these parses is coming from.

As it turns out, even removing both the crit talent and the surge talent from Force Storm isn't enough to Bolt better. Close, and maybe close enough that accounting for Polarity Shift, Recklessness+Flash and delays in CD and LF might push Bolt over the line, but in and of itself, not so much. Basically, Force Storm needs a slight nerf, in addition to the removal of the crit/surge talent.

Alternatively, Recklessness could be adjusted so that it no longer affects Force Storm. This one change would be enough to remove it from rotation.

How is your basic crit chance so pathetic D:

Did you forget to look at force crit chance KBN?

Lightning Bolt (no Polarity Shift): 2736.63

Lightning Bolt (Polarity Shift): 2962.59

Force Storm (no Recklessness): 2782.18

Force Storm (Recklessness): 4046.61

in my testing on the trainingdummy, lightning bolt never reached the sustained dps of fs, even with polarity shift up.

Recklessness and Force Storm are so ridiculous strong together, that trying to consume both stacks with force storm should result in a dps increase.

Recklessness + 2x Force Storm + PS + Adrenal should result in 5,5k-6k dps over ~8,5sec (based on my gear setup (which is crap right now), without trinket uptime).

Edited by Citruzz

How is your basic crit chance so pathetic D:

Did you forget to look at force crit chance KBN?

Uh……………… uh…………… I was in a hurry, ok! ;-) I'll redo the numbers tonight.

in my testing on the trainingdummy, lightning bolt never reached the sustained dps of fs, even with polarity shift up.

I'll double check the numbers tonight with the appropriate crit chance, but honestly I really doubt that Force Storm is going to exceed PS-enhanced Bolt. And remember, Bolt has DPS benefits beyond its raw damage. Force Storm doesn't.

Recklessness and Force Storm are so ridiculous strong together, that trying to consume both stacks with force storm should result in a dps increase.

Except you can't do that without delaying Flash, Chain Lightning, Thundering Blast and probably also Crushing Darkness! As good as the DPS is for Force Storm under Recklessness, CL and TB are better, as is CD once you include the double-tick benefit.

sigh and still my balance does more numbers then TK 0.o where's that sorc/sage terms dictionary when you need one lol

• Thundering Blast = Turbulence
  • Chain Lightning = Telekinetic Wave
  • Lightning Flash = Telekinetic Gust
  • Crushing Darkness = Mind Crush
  • Lightning Bolt = Telekinetic Burst
  • Affliction = Weaken Mind
  • Polarity Shift = Mental Alacrity
  • Recklessness = Force Potency
  • Force Storm = Force Quake

Don't you have a sorc?

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Here are some important values for lightning sorcs/ tk sages :-) (hope i'm right @ KBN)

Standard Health Value: 3185 (Standard Health Value Equivalent: 318,5)

Boss Armor Absorb for energy and kinetic: 40%

Raid Debuffs: +5% Force Damage, +7% Internal/Elemental Damage, -20% Armor Value (-8% Boss Armor Absorb for energy and kinetic), +10% AoE Damage

Average Ability Tooltip Damage Calculation:

(Standard Health Value Equivalent + Bonus Damage) * Ability Coefficient = Average Ability Tooltip Damage

Ability Coefficients:

Affliction = 2,24

Crushing Darkness Initial = 1,23

Crushing Darkness Dot = 1,77

Thundering Blast = 1,80

Chain Lightning = 2,14

Lightning Flash = 1,96

Force Storm = 5,925 (incl. +25% damage skillperk)

Lightning Bolt = 1,56

Shock = 1,565 (incl. +5% damage skillperk)

Average Outgoing Damage Calculation:

Internal Damage (+5% Force Damage, +7% Internal/Elemental Damage):

((Average Ability Tooltip Damage*1,12)*Non-Crit Chance/100)+(((Average Ability Tooltip Damage*1,12)*Crit Chance/100)*1+(Surge %value))

Kinetic/Energy Damage (-32% Boss Armor Absorb, +5% Force Damage, +10% AoE Damage):

(((Average Ability Tooltip Damage*0,68)*1,05)*Non-Crit Chance/100)+((((Average Ability Tooltip Damage*0,68)*1,05)*Crit-Chance/100)*1+(Surge %value))

AoE: (((Average Ability Tooltip Damage*0,68)*1,15)*Non-Crit Chance/100)+((((Average Ability Tooltip Damage*0,68)*1,15)*Crit-Chance/100)*1+(Surge %value))

after this, we have to simulate some battle time to implement alacrity and proccs. rng isn't considered. there are some rounding errors present.

Edited by Citruzz

I redid my rough calculations taking into account force crit rather than melee (thanks, Tace). Also, I took into account the force and AoE damage buffs, since it's kinda unfair to forget about those... I didn't bother taking armor into account.

Anyway, the results are very sad:

• Bolt (no PS) = 3009.79
  • Bolt (PS) = 3258.31
  • Storm = 3401.81
  • Storm (Reck) = 4862.23

Uh... lol?

Ok, so Storm *without* Recklessness is very very close to Bolt under PS. Close enough that I think that it's safe to say Bolt is better due to the Polarity Shift reduction and the eliminated delay on Flash and Crushing Darkness (thus, more PS reduction). Bolt outside of PS is harder to say. Polarity Shift is a huge, huge DPS jump, but it's really hard to say exactly how much 1 second of reduction is worth. If we could get a good approximation for that, we could do better here.

Quite clearly, Storm with Recklessness is worth dropping almost everything to hit. With that said, here is the DPS for Thundering Blast: 5951.27. Remember that I ignored armor for the others, so they're actually quite a bit worse than they appear, while Thundering Blast is exactly how it appears. It's too bad we can't just chain-cast TB...

Chain Lightning has the following DPS, btw: 4781.85 outside PS, and 5176.69 inside PS.

Lightning Flash has 3981.8 outside PS, and 4310.57 inside PS.

Crushing Darkness has a DPS value of 5290.01.

So all of this is a bit tricky. Force Storm is definitely no where close to our hardest hitter, even under Recklessness. So, that sort of implies that it's probably better to spend your Recklessness on Chain Lightning and Force Storm, and time the usage such that you don't delay Crushing Darkness and minimally delay Lightning Flash. Using Storm as a general filler instead of Bolt (even if you break it part way), is definitely optimal from a direct damage standpoint, but given the cooldown reduction on Polarity Shift taken together with the requisite delay on Flash, I'm tempted to say that it's probably a wash, and likely a negative under Polarity Shift. Also remember that Force Storm is unsustainable even in Lightning. We really need our regen stacks from Bolt in order to keep up the rotation.

So, tentative conclusion: use Force Storm with the second charge of Recklessness, only in a block where you aren't using Crushing Darkness (delay Recklessness by up to one block to achieve this). Otherwise, use a general rotation.

I redid my rough calculations taking into account force crit rather than melee (thanks, Tace). Also, I took into account the force and AoE damage buffs, since it's kinda unfair to forget about those... I didn't bother taking armor into account.

Anyway, the results are very sad:

• Bolt (no PS) = 3009.79
  • Bolt (PS) = 3258.31
  • Storm = 3401.81
  • Storm (Reck) = 4862.23

Uh... lol?

Ok, so Storm *without* Recklessness is very very close to Bolt under PS. Close enough that I think that it's safe to say Bolt is better due to the Polarity Shift reduction and the eliminated delay on Flash and Crushing Darkness (thus, more PS reduction). Bolt outside of PS is harder to say. Polarity Shift is a huge, huge DPS jump, but it's really hard to say exactly how much 1 second of reduction is worth. If we could get a good approximation for that, we could do better here.

Quite clearly, Storm with Recklessness is worth dropping almost everything to hit. With that said, here is the DPS for Thundering Blast: 5951.27. Remember that I ignored armor for the others, so they're actually quite a bit worse than they appear, while Thundering Blast is exactly how it appears. It's too bad we can't just chain-cast TB...

Chain Lightning has the following DPS, btw: 4781.85 outside PS, and 5176.69 inside PS.

Lightning Flash has 3981.8 outside PS, and 4310.57 inside PS.

Crushing Darkness has a DPS value of 5290.01.

So all of this is a bit tricky. Force Storm is definitely no where close to our hardest hitter, even under Recklessness. So, that sort of implies that it's probably better to spend your Recklessness on Chain Lightning and Force Storm, and time the usage such that you don't delay Crushing Darkness and minimally delay Lightning Flash. Using Storm as a general filler instead of Bolt (even if you break it part way), is definitely optimal from a direct damage standpoint, but given the cooldown reduction on Polarity Shift taken together with the requisite delay on Flash, I'm tempted to say that it's probably a wash, and likely a negative under Polarity Shift. Also remember that Force Storm is unsustainable even in Lightning. We really need our regen stacks from Bolt in order to keep up the rotation.

So, tentative conclusion: use Force Storm with the second charge of Recklessness, only in a block where you aren't using Crushing Darkness (delay Recklessness by up to one block to achieve this). Otherwise, use a general rotation.

Well considering that storm no longer uses all its force up front, but rather uses a little force every time it does damage, you could definitely clip it in order to use other abilities (e.g. Crushing Darkness, Chain Lightning, Lightning Flash, Turbulence), so long as its not the Recklessness Storm.

Though doing it this way I'd recommend old 4-piece + new 2-piece for set bonus.