Lightsaber Forms in SWTOR

Bird_of_Thunder

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they're there, but I think they need to be reassigned to different skill trees:

Jedi Knight

1-10: Shii-Cho

Guardian:

Defense - Soresu

Focus - Niman (for the integrated force aspect)

Vigilance - Juyo (or Djem So)

Sentinel:

Focus - Niman (has a dual blade option)

Combat - Ataru (has dual blades too)

Watchman - Jar'Kai

From a lore perspective that is not all of them. There are 7 lightsaber forms in the lore. They are as follows:

Form 1- Shii-cho

Form 2- Makashi

Form 3- Soresu

Form 4- Ataru

Form 5- Shien

Form 6- Niman

Form 7- Juyo

Also form 7 has a variant that may not be used in the time period of the game. The variant called Vapad was one that Mace Windu specialized in though most masters thought that it bordered on a a path to the dark side

• 11 months later...
Djem So is Shien. :)

Well it's a little different, Djem So is far more aggressive. Djem So is a physically demanding power attack form of Shien. It's also more geared towards saber dueling whilst Shien is geared towards aggressive blast deflection.

I would like to see the ability to mix forms. Take Obi Wan Kenobi for example. He uses Soresu to defend and Ataru to attack (with a couple of others mixed in) This makes him a defensive powerhouse that can counter attack aggressively!

I would like to see more emphasis on forms whist dueling. If you are a master of Shii-Cho and you go up against a master of Makashi, you should lose hard!

And mastery should come into effect. You should start off knowing the base elements of the form, then it should be developed though leveling.

That would be cool :p

Also I would like to see different animations for the forms. If you are using Ataru you should be jumping about all over the place. If using Soresu you should make small decisive moments and so on.

That would also be cool :)

Edited by Dantedraconian

I don't mean to hate, but I find the lack of Vaapad in SWTOR very disappointing.

Vaapad was created by Mace Windu and Sora Bulq. SWTOR is about 3600 years before that. So, Vaapad not existing is not disappointing, but only natural. If you want to play a Vaapad-like style, go for the left tree of marauder/sentinel. Vaapad is a variation of Juyo.

Vaapad was created by Mace Windu and Sora Bulq. SWTOR is about 3600 years before that. So, Vaapad not existing is not disappointing, but only natural. If you want to play a Vaapad-like style, go for the left tree of marauder/sentinel. Vaapad is a variation of Juyo.

Why does that style set people on fire, by the way?

Kinda bummed they haven't included Makashi. They could've had Makashi be the form that gives you a significant damage boost and increased chance of dodge and parry when fighting melee-wielding enemies.

I realize they're not going to do this, but I would like to see different animations for lightsaber attacks based on what form we're using.

I agree with this, the run-of-the-mill lightsaber animations undermine the uniqueness of each Form, making them feel like nothing more than mere stat effects, instead of actual differing fighting styles. You can pretty much alternate between forms without adjusting your gameplay style with minimal consequence.

It's actually pretty funny having my Juggernaut tank use "Soresu" and still having him charge headfirst into enemies cutting them down left and right and pounding them with Vicious Slash and taking minimal damage.

They should give saber forms to Consular and Inquisitor as well, not just Warrior and Knight.

I think Ataru would've fit much better with the Consular and Inquisitor, since that form requires almost continuous Force usage.

I think Ataru would've fit much better with the Consular and Inquisitor, since that form requires almost continuous Force usage.

Ataru requires using the Force to augment physical capabilities to superhuman levels, not something the Consular and Inquisitor are known for. Niman best fits the Consular and Inquisitor because its core concept is the use of Force Abilities in the midst of combat, which they clearly do.

We probably wouldn't get Inq/Con sabre forms 'cause the ACs are either Force- based rather than melee, or they have double-blades. Dunno how they would implement combat forms for those...

Double-bladed lightsabers use the same forms. They only use them in a different manner to compensate for the length and properties of the blade. Two examples being Satele with Ataru, and Zannah with Soresu.

Why does that style set people on fire, by the way?

Game mechanic with no foundation in lore; pay it no mind.

Not really, since people even on this planet are capable of flips and such without use of the Force. From my perspective, Ataro should have been the form for the Focus/Rage tree, since that's the acrobatic tree with two leaps. Niman, or, rather, the original Form from which it was derived, Jar-Kai, should have been a Sentinel/Marauder form (probably for Combat), since Jar-Kai was the original dual-wield specific Form.

I do agree, though, that Forms would have been appropriate for Consulars - Shadows at the very least, since they do actively use their lightsabers for more than boredom or regen.

• 5 months later...
i like that idea. Different animations for the different forms used. But if that is too much to hope for, i wonder if simply changing the way our character stands while in a certain form is doable. Someone mentioned holding the lightsaber invertedly. Or Maybe implement a more defensive stance while in Soresu. It would be cool to see my Focus tree Guardian stand like Dooku does. (kinda facing sideways with his saber arm extended, and offhand relaxed and palm up).... meh wishful thinking.

• 3 months later...

What what I would like to see is for them to input froms into the Consular and Knight (and of course with sith classes as well). Here's what I was thinking:

Knight

Start With Basic Shii-Cho

Learn Intermidiate Shii-Cho at middle of Focus Tree as Passive

Learn Mastered Shii-Cho at end of Focus Tree as Passive

Gaurdian:

Learn Basic Soresu at start of Defense Tree

Learn Intermidiate/Advanced Soresu passive at middle

Learn Mastered at end

Learn Basic Shien at start of Vigilance Tree

Learn Intermidiate/Advance Shien passive in middle

Learn Mastered at end

Extra Option of Learning Djem So when finish Storyline

Sentinel:

Learn Basic Jar-Kai at start of Watchman Tree

Learn Intermidiate/Advanced Jar-Kai passive in middle

Learn Mastered at end

Learn Basic Ataru at start of Combat Tree

Learn Intermidiate/Advanced Ataru passive in middle

Learn Mastered at end

Extra Option of learning Juyo when finish Storyline

Consular

Start with Basic Niman

Learn Intermidiate Niman at middle of Balance Tree as Passive

Learn Mastered Niman at end of Balance Tree as Passive

Sage:

Learn Intermidiate/Advanced Niman at middle of Seer Tree

Done learning forms for Seer

Learn Basic Makashi at start of Telekinetics Tree

Learn Intermidiate/Advanced Makashi passive at middle

Learn Mastered at end

Shadow:

Learn Basic Soresu at start of Kinetic Combat Tree

Learn Intermidiate/Advanced Soresu passive at middle

Learn Mastered at end

Learn Basic Djem So at start of Infiltration Tree

Learn Intermidiate/Advanced Djem So passive at middle

Learn Mastered at end

Extra option of learning Juyo form when finish Storyline

Obviously some balancing issues would appear, so they would have to fix that too. I would also like to see animations for all the different forms though that might be asking for a bit much. Please people tell me what you think!!