The 'funny/close/otherwise exceptional match' thread!

caederon

Since Xi'ao suggested it, I thought I'd make one... a thread to show off matches that aren't the usual buffet of blowouts and bludgeonings. Let's celebrate some standout matches we've played that defy expectations (or common sense!)

Here's one to start...

TDM Kuat Mesas... 30-26

This just happened last night, and is the lowest winning final score of a deathmatch I can remember being in. The entire other team went with bombers and gunships, and set up an enormous minefield and drone convention back behind the middle ridge closest to the imp side, then sat there. I spent the whole fight looking for firing angles and zapping down the few pilots that strayed beyond the nest. Though the pace was glacial, it was an interesting exercise in patience and finding spots to attack from.

- Despon

Edited by caederon

During the double requisition event I was in a domination game with the average strength of the teams almost equal. Everytime when we managed to secure a satellite but needed to fight of the leftover enemies there, we were losing another satellite. This repeated the whole match. With both scores over 900 I saw that we need to hold two satellites until very close to the end of the match or we would lose if they take one back again. When our score finally overtook the enemies' I already was just hoping we could defend the satellite that was being attacked until the end of the match. Then - timeout.

This was the only domination timeout I have been in, so I assume it counts as exceptional.

Edited by Danalon

I posted two recent matches in this thread. Here are few more which I dug out:

In the "close" category:

Domination 1, Domination 2, TDM 1

Don't remember any particular details about these any longer.

Domination 3

My very first match on the Imperium, the same day the ship was released. It wasn't 100% stock because I unlocked some components other than the default ones, but I had zero upgrades on any of these components.

Domination 4

I remember this one due to certain Bomber with "very conventional" lag which made impossible to capture A (he was basically jumping in and out of the satellite control range). We wasted quite some time there and the game was hence closer than it possibly should be.

TDM 2

Relatively recent one, when the Progenitor's current trend "Gunship for4 bro" was slowly starting.

In the "funny" category:

Domination 5

We started 6 against 8 but despite that manage to threecap relatively quickly. Then after two minutes or so one of ours crashed, and since there was no replacement the game ended prematurely - with our victory, when it was us who had the insufficient amount of players. Yay for 75% Accuracy on Imperium!

I posted two recent matches in this thread. Here are few more which I dug out:

In the "close" category:

Domination 1, Domination 2, TDM 1

Don't remember any particular details about these any longer.

Domination 3

My very first match on the Imperium, the same day the ship was released. It wasn't 100% stock because I unlocked some components other than the default ones, but I had zero upgrades on any of these components.

Domination 4

I remember this one due to certain Bomber with "very conventional" lag which made impossible to capture A (he was basically jumping in and out of the satellite control range). We wasted quite some time there and the game was hence closer than it possibly should be.

TDM 2

Relatively recent one, when the Progenitor's current trend "Gunship for4 bro" was slowly starting.

In the "funny" category:

Domination 5

We started 6 against 8 but despite that manage to threecap relatively quickly. Then after two minutes or so one of ours crashed, and since there was no replacement the game ended prematurely - with our victory, when it was us who had the insufficient amount of players. Yay for 75% Accuracy on Imperium!

Nice screenshots, I'm just curious do you actually like slicers loop and suppression or did you just forget to swap them for a few games? If you do like them I'd really be interested as to why?

You clearly know what you're doing your accuracy, kills and damage numbers are awesome. I just keep looking at the abilities you chose that are on your bar and am bewildered. Do you just like playing off the wall stuff, let me know super interested. :)

Edited by Drakkolich

Nice screenshots, I'm just curious do you actually like slicers loop and suppression or did you just forget to swap them for a few games? If you do like them I'd really be interested as to why?

You clearly know what you're doing your accuracy, kills and damage numbers are awesome. I just keep looking at the abilities you chose that are on your bar and am bewildered. Do you just like playing off the wall stuff, let me know super interested. :)

I'll try to explain properly, so please bear with me.

Although I do a lot of PVE and (did) a lot of GSF, I consider myself a roleplayer first and foremost. That among others means that it's not uncommon for me to sacrifice efficiency in order to get "immersion", "comfort" or "fluff". Which is exactly the case with Slicer's Loop: It is there on my quickbar because it's Ensign Temple's active ability.

I suggested/asked more than once to separate active abilities from companions, because otherwise people have to choose between useful and "aesthetic". Well I suppose many players could care less about the latter, but for me, listening to the voice of my favorite companion in the match (my main character, which I play 95% of the time, is Imperial Agent) is more important than an optimal active ability.

I am well aware that I gimped myself by sacrificing the active ability (and one passive, with Power to Engines being subpar) for a few lines of spoken conversation. I'll also admit that I never ever used the Slicer's Loop ability - it just sat there as a deadweight. The switch to Suppression happened relatively recently, and it was a hard decided compromise; it's Scorpio's active ability, so that allowed me to get Efficient Maneuvers with 2V-R8 while maintaining companion and voice I was still comfortable with. Suppression, while not optimal, also has its uses and I was triggering it quite frequently in dogfights.

Tl;dr: There's no rational reason for me using (or merely having) Slicer's Loop and Suppression as active abilities, it's "secondary effect" to choosing the companions which I want to listen to in GSF.

I'll try to explain properly, so please bear with me.

Although I do a lot of PVE and (did) a lot of GSF, I consider myself a roleplayer first and foremost. That among others means that it's not uncommon for me to sacrifice efficiency in order to get "immersion", "comfort" or "fluff". Which is exactly the case with Slicer's Loop: It is there on my quickbar because it's Ensign Temple's active ability.

I suggested/asked more than once to separate active abilities from companions, because otherwise people have to choose between useful and "aesthetic". Well I suppose many players could care less about the latter, but for me, listening to the voice of my favorite companion in the match (my main character, which I play 95% of the time, is Imperial Agent) is more important than an optimal active ability.

I am well aware that I gimped myself by sacrificing the active ability (and one passive, with Power to Engines being subpar) for a few lines of spoken conversation. I'll also admit that I never ever used the Slicer's Loop ability - it just sat there as a deadweight. The switch to Suppression happened relatively recently, and it was a hard decided compromise; it's Scorpio's active ability, so that allowed me to get Efficient Maneuvers with 2V-R8 while maintaining companion and voice I was still comfortable with. Suppression, while not optimal, also has its uses and I was triggering it quite frequently in dogfights.

Tl;dr: There's no rational reason for me using (or merely having) Slicer's Loop and Suppression as active abilities, it's "secondary effect" to choosing the companions which I want to listen to in GSF.

Awesome thanks for the explanation kudos again to the great numbers considering the subpar abilities. The other ability I'm curious about is the converter on your Imperium, I saw you had the converter in 2 of them games and Power Dive in another, is this another immersion thing or do you prefer the converter?. You seem to really like Strike fighters. :)

I have also played a few games here and there with different co-pilots just to hear their lines. I'm very competitive so it doesn't last long, still it is fun to do every once in awhile. I know Scorpio is one of Verain's favorites, but as you mentioned sadly some co-pilots are just awful. :(

Awesome thanks for the explanation kudos again to the great numbers considering the subpar abilities. The other ability I'm curious about is the converter on your Imperium, I saw you had the converter in 2 of them games and Power Dive in another, is this another immersion thing or do you prefer the converter?. You seem to really like Strike fighters. :)

The Power Dive one is my first match on Imperium - I bought the ship, unlocked some alternative components (but not Engine one, and Power Dive comes by default) and jumped into queue (and forgot to change companions, hence In Your Sights and Aven Geth).

The Converter is actually my intentional choice. You are correct that I like Strike Fighters :). I also don't fly Bombers, so the Imperium served me as a sort of "pseudobomber". I can't say if the Converter is objectively better than the other choices (but I know that if Imperium would have Barrel Roll, I'd take it instead). However, it suited my playstyle with the ship - defending nodes and coming in second wave as a reinforcement/refiller - the most. Also, the only missiles I'd be afraid of are Concussions/Interdictions (the rest I can either outheal or LoS) and I haven't seen many of these on Progenitor.

The Power Dive one is my first match on Imperium - I bought the ship, unlocked some alternative components (but not Engine one, and Power Dive comes by default) and jumped into queue (and forgot to change companions, hence In Your Sights and Aven Geth).

The Converter is actually my intentional choice. You are correct that I like Strike Fighters :). I also don't fly Bombers, so the Imperium served me as a sort of "pseudobomber". I can't say if the Converter is objectively better than the other choices (but I know that if Imperium would have Barrel Roll, I'd take it instead). However, it suited my playstyle with the ship - defending nodes and coming in second wave as a reinforcement/refiller - the most. Also, the only missiles I'd be afraid of are Concussions/Interdictions (the rest I can either outheal or LoS) and I haven't seen many of these on Progenitor.

I see the whole idea of the build is to Tank a node as hard as possible, hence the heal, shield projector to heal others shields and the converter for even more shields. That's kind of a cool idea, my imperium/clarion is more of a for fun dogfighting ship I use in "easier" games. I use directionals/power dive. My tank on a node is indeed a bomber as I think the Razorwire/Rampart with the hyperspace beacon is just invaluable to domination games. However if you are absolutely against playing bomber I can see the logic behind your choices. Very interesting thanks for all the answers. :)

I had a surprising series of close domination matches on Ebon Hawk yesterday back-to-back-to-back...

1000-809 | 1000-844 | 1000-919

Every one of them was a mad scramble (for me at least!) capping and re-capping satellites. Defense kind of got thrown out the window. It's interesting that in the 1000-844 match, Tensai there had 100k damage and was racking people up in his scout, but their side wasn't able to coordinate enough to keep us from staying ahead. It was really cool to have a series of matches like that where there was considerable doubt about which side would pull through at the end.

- Despon

I had a surprising series of close domination matches on Ebon Hawk yesterday back-to-back-to-back...

Every one of them was a mad scramble (for me at least!) capping and re-capping satellites. Defense kind of got thrown out the window. It's interesting that in the 1000-844 match, Tensai there had 100k damage and was racking people up in his scout, but their side wasn't able to coordinate enough to keep us from staying ahead. It was really cool to have a series of matches like that where there was considerable doubt about which side would pull through at the end.

- Despon

i was in that 3rd match but kept having UI Bugs and had to dip :( my reticles and targetting stuff kept disappearing.

Though for my part. Me(Taisetsuna) and Leggogurl(Aimbot) vs Scrab(Toxic'Pilot) http://i.imgur.com/naquwbH.jpg I felt bad for everybody else involved.

Edited by tommmsunb

Can't say I was expecting this score on the losing team in deathmatch. The railgun had no upgrades.

Bonus kill at the end that I really had to work for :p

Great play, very few mistakes. Power management was fantastic, you always tried to fire in the center of the arc. Not to mention the amazing score you got for having an almost stock condor. The only thing I saw was you taking a few shots without wingman when it was off cooldown (It's a 5 min video so it only happens once), I'm not sure if you save it for evasive targets or not let me know. I myself just use it whenever its up with all the tracking penalties on railguns I figure you always get something out of the accuracy.

As a bonus aside are you the Rigsta that watches my stream all the time?

Edited by Drakkolich

Thanks for the favourable critique. I don't save wingman as such, I just try not to waste it on non-critical targets or targets that are unlikely to have high evasion. And uh, I sometimes might not notice it's available.

And yes that's me that watches your stream. I probably won't be able to for a while though as I'm (finally) back to normal sleep patterns. Late shifts kinda suck. I'll probably watch the VoDs/highlights though.

Edited by Rigsta

- Despon

Just wondering, did that first match have to be so close? Your team had 62 kills to their team's 8 kills. It could have ended 1000:200 or something. Perhaps your team was being merciful? I've noticed matches like this in the records thread as well.

Skin of your teeth kind of match tonight: close!

That's a good one! Here's a super tense one I had tonight that ended with the 50th kill at about 13 seconds left in the match... 50-49 ... and I was the 49th kill for the other team so I was out of the action hoping my team could pick up the last one! Luckily, they pulled through.

- Despon

Edited by caederon

That's a good one! Here's a super tense one I had tonight that ended with the 50th kill at about 13 seconds left in the match... 50-49 ... and I was the 49th kill for the other team so I was out of the action hoping my team could pick up the last one! Luckily, they pulled through.

- Despon

Dying at the end of matches like that is pretty damn heart attack inducing. SPACEBAR HARDER!!!! BACK IN RANGE!!! Always good for a rush.