one time password BS

frecmdkme

just cancelled my sub and my wifes sub due to the completely ridiculous "one time password" policy of the ******* running this game. I wanted to warn any new subscribers that you may have to wait more than 30 minutes to log into the game EVERY TIME YOU TRY TO PLAY due to this stupid policy. I have played online games for over 20 years and have NEVER had to deal with this garbage policy. Whether it is EA, Bioware, Lucasarts, or Origins fault, I really couldn't care less, but you just lost two subscribers who will never again spend a dime on any of your products.

I've never had an issue with the OTP for logging in to the game. I have had issues logging in to the forums, though.

Does it take 30 minutes for you to receive the e-mail? Some e-mail providers are notorious for that. I use a gmail account and I always get the OTP e-mail within seconds. However, I don't have to deal with that every time I try to log in, just once every few months or so.

There must be something wrong that is causing it to trip the OTP every time. Going off my (possibly flawed) memory, I think it may be related to your IP address. If it changes often, then you'll get the OTP prompt often. Perhaps your ISP is changing your IP address daily, thereby forcing the OTP daily, and whatever e-mail provider you are using is notoriously slow at getting the OTP e-mail, making matters worse. :mad:

Still, I personally feel that this measure of security is way overkill. When the security policy does more harm than good, it's time to re-evaluate. I wonder how many customers they lose over this. I hope it's worth it to them.

Edited by teclado

It's not BS. If someone hacked your account from a different computer, something tells me you'd be the first to complain, and loudly. There is something amiss with YOUR connection. Your ISP is switching your IP address every time you play, and it sounds like it is also not delivering your email promptly. Every time I need an OTP it comes pretty much instantly. And the only time I need it is if I log in from somewhere else or use a different computer.

And this is New Player Help where new players get help with the game. If you've been playing for 20 years you should understand that. It isn't the place for your complaints. We are trying to learn to be better players here, and whether or not you sub or unsub is completely irrelevant.

just cancelled my sub and my wifes sub due to the completely ridiculous "one time password" policy of the ******* running this game. I wanted to warn any new subscribers that you may have to wait more than 30 minutes to log into the game EVERY TIME YOU TRY TO PLAY due to this stupid policy. I have played online games for over 20 years and have NEVER had to deal with this garbage policy. Whether it is EA, Bioware, Lucasarts, or Origins fault, I really couldn't care less, but you just lost two subscribers who will never again spend a dime on any of your products.

Don't delete your cookies and have a static IP address and you won't have to do it every time.

I have to obtain a one time password EVERY time I restart my pc and it really annoying me !

OK I have now spent about an hour trying to download the app but I had to download ITunes but now I still can not find how to download the swot APP ????? It just tells me about the app but no download link.

How do I find the app ???????

BTW I have an android phone not an IPhone.

Unless I can sort this out soon I too will not be renewing my subscription.

Edited by sdkkbc

I have to obtain a one time password EVERY time I restart my pc and it really annoying me !

OK I have now spent about an hour trying to download the app but I had to download ITunes but now I still can not find how to download the swot APP ????? It just tells me about the app but no download link.

If you're looking for the security key app, and you have an Android, than it's in the Google Play store not iTunes...

We know that, but as we ALREADY explained to you, it's your problem, a problem with your connection. It's not BW's problem. You seem very impatient with everything. Stop with the threats already If you can't handle it, by all means leave. We're here to help New Players learn, but it's a lot tougher when you are openly belligerent.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.SWTORSK_na

It is a bit of a pain, but having someone hack your account would be a hell of a lot worse. I have 2 machines I use, a desktop PC that I have the game on and use to play, and my laptop I use to access the forums. Every time I use the laptop I need to get and use the one time password, the PC never.

I don't think the length of time it takes for you to get your PW is the fault of the game, I'd be questioning your ISP and the timespan for checking for your email. I normally have about a 5 - 10 minute wait from my ISP, with 5 minutes or less being the most time I wait. Using my laptop today it took about 2 -3 minutes.

Ok....so if I am understanding this thread correctly...if I get a security key setup...i don't have to deal with the otp anymore...because I've had to deal with three times this week.....not gonna lie it is annoying....love the game tho...how much is a security key going to cost?

Thanks for any help guys

Ok....so if I am understanding this thread correctly...if I get a security key setup...i don't have to deal with the otp anymore...because I've had to deal with three times this week.....not gonna lie it is annoying....love the game tho...how much is a security key going to cost?

Thanks for any help guys

If you have an android or iPhone and are a subscriber, you can download the security app linked above. It is free to use, apart from having to be a subscriber, I believe.