For The Future: Offline Mode

JWagner

When the time comes that Bioware/EA decides to pull the plug on SWTOR, I have one request.

Gimme an offline mode, or the ability to host the game separately on my own server, or something.

I'm serious. I thoroughly enjoy the stories! Not all in one dose like this event will do, but when I want something to do, running through the stories is fun, especially when you change it up every time!

I don't want to lose that! Even if it eats up my entire hard drive! :D

I agree, BW could even continue to create content and sell it as expansions. Don't give up on SWTORs fans simply because Disney or EA says to pull the mmo plug. Just remember that BW may not have a say in any of this. Deals that they have made will have to be honored. It may have to be the fans themselves, (that could include SWTOR devs, if they take no profit from the work), that make SWTOR Offline a reality when all is said and done. Edited by JaxstonEagle-Eye

I absolutely disagree with this idea. The reason is, when they shut it down I want it gone, finished and buried. I don't want them to insult the loyal players by making it an offline RPG.

How is this an insult?

I absolutely disagree with this idea. The reason is, when they shut it down I want it gone, finished and buried. I don't want them to insult the loyal players by making it an offline RPG.

What kind of logic is that? If you were a loyal player would you not want to continue playing the game when it dies?

I don't see why they cannot when people do the Emulator of Star Wars Galaxies. If they won't make an offline for just the person I don't know why we cannot get the things to emulate a private server. Edited by kwigle

Well SWG was in the golden age of free love for Star Wars. Disney & EA had no say then. SWTOR has to get permission to do anything as cool as free emulation.

Disney could shut down the SWG emulator if they wanted.

I'm a loyal player, and if it's done for, I'd like to be able to play on my own machine by myself. I think it's a nice idea, and I'd buy the expansions.

Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean others wouldn't...I'm one who would. Sorry to disagree with you, but it's how I feel. :)

So while I might agree with you. I can tell you it probably won't happen. First of all it would have to be approved by EA & Disney corporate. That alone is like trying to beat a Wookie at holochess. (Sure you might be able to do it but expect to lose a few limbs in the whole process.)

Second is the big reason why corporate would probably say no. It has to do with various copyright laws. If they allowed players to continue with the game after it has been shut down on things like private servers and the like then the hold on the copyright weakens. Most MMO players are familiar with a certain server of a certain MMO that recently dealt with a similar problem and were shut down.

So while the idea is nice, lets just hope that the game servers stay alive until the earth becomes this galaxies Tatooine. Even if the are moved to a fully automated state like the original guild wars. That would seem like the more viable request.

The irony between the sentiment and the posters name.

• 10 months later...

I totally agree with this idea! I was thinking about this today... I fear that one day they might just shut all servers down and nobody will ever be able to play this anymore.

This would not only be a tragedy for the fans but also a waste for the developers... Imagine all the hard work that has been put into creating this game... That's why after they shut down the servers they must release a way to play it offline or even to host a local server server or something.

This game must not end. :)