Rich

MouseNoFour

Just how much credits would you consider to be what a ''wealthy'' person would have in the Lore of Star Wars?

Quite often, you get mail from NPC's who give you a donation or a pay off or even a bribe... yet it is always in the four digits. Is 1000-9000 considered a LOT of money in Star Wars?

How would you work out what a lot of money really is and what would you consider to be the ''millionaire'' of the Star Wars lore?

If you have 100,000 credits, is that a lot of money for a character to own? What about a million?

It's not that easy. Wealth would depend on where you live and what you can buy for the money. And whether you can buy exotic stuff or not - even having a starship doesn't necessarily mean you're rich in SW. Well-off is when you can get anything you need for yourself and your family without much trouble, rich is IMO when you reach the point you don't usually have to ask what it costs before buying.

No, a few thousand creds isn't rich when you see what medpacks and stims cost. But as a gift from some ordinary working stiff it's quite generous.

Id say a millionaire is about what a millionaire is irl. For example a Yt-1300 freighter (Millenium Falcon) costs about 100,000 credits new and 25,000 used, which is a price range very similar to irl cars and generally most thing that I can think of have prices similar to rl stuff.

Id say a millionaire is about what a millionaire is irl. For example a Yt-1300 freighter (Millenium Falcon) costs about 100,000 credits new and 25,000 used, which is a price range very similar to irl cars and generally most thing that I can think of have prices similar to rl stuff.

I'd argue a millionaire in Star Wars is different than a millionaire in real life because not every citizen owns their own freighter. I wouldn't compare Freighter's to cars when people actually have hover cars and speeders. Those are more equivalent to cars/motorcycles and they're a lot cheaper than a freighter.

Edited by Rhyltran

No, a few thousand creds isn't rich when you see what medpacks and stims cost.

That's purely in-game currency-sinks. If we look at the Star Wars RPG, a fully-dressed medical kit costs 600 credits. A basic, homestead medpac? 100. A liter of bacta? Also 100 Credits. Considering Kolto is still very prominent, with Selkath's home planet of Manaan and its production facilities, it can be assumed that healing items are incredibly cheap to come by. Adrenals, potentially in the range of 100-700 credits--depending soley on quality.

Anyway; with what other legacy material we have at our disposal, to put into perspective the relative "I.C." costs, it doesn't seem like a very solid argument to be considered "rich", if you're able to afford a medpac.

Now, a better way to determine how "rich" any given person is in the galaxy? Their position of power within their relative job. A sanitation engineer? Probably pretty poor. Captain of the guard at Czerka? He'd be pretty well-off. Jedi and Sith have both been shown to have large spending allowances, both in canon-and in the Legacy canon.

It's a question I've pondered myself- in KOTOR, it seemed one credit was equal to one real-life [united States] dollar. A bribe to two homeless exiles was five credits, a down-payment on a debt was fifty. If anything, a credit was worth more.

On TOR I can't make heads or tails (pun) of the situation. On Korriban everything is dirt cheap compared to Ziost. These two planets have almost everything in common, beside one is the first planet a Sith visits and the other is the last. I always blamed "inflation." That is, as we progress through the game, the war intensifies, and suddenly the economy becomes very different.

It's not that easy. Wealth would depend on where you live and what you can buy for the money. And whether you can buy exotic stuff or not - even having a starship doesn't necessarily mean you're rich in SW. Well-off is when you can get anything you need for yourself and your family without much trouble, rich is IMO when you reach the point you don't usually have to ask what it costs before buying.

No, a few thousand creds isn't rich when you see what medpacks and stims cost. But as a gift from some ordinary working stiff it's quite generous.

This pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

So I've found that Luxurious services are pretty high.

Meals: 150 per meal

Lodging: 200 per day

Transportation: 5,000(up to 5 days)

Upkeep: 10k per day

Vehicle rental: Landspeeder, luxury: 100 per day

Total amount: 15, 450 just for that one day.

Including let's say 5 days it amounts to 77, 250 over the course of the 5 days.

Now this isn't including medical or space transport fees, in which it goes like this.

Chartered space transport: 10,000

Medical(Bacta): 300 per hour

Long term care: 300 per day

Medpac treatment: 300

Surger per: 500 per hour

Treat Disease: 500 per day

Treat Poison: 100 per hour

Treat Radiation: 1,000 per day

Total: 28,450 for the day

Total: 142, 250 over 5 days.

====

So yeah, you gotta have like a million+ credits and I mean in the high, high millions if you wanna be considered wealthy and make it last, especially if you have a luxury cruiser.

Example of one would be a Theta class shuttle

Standard with luxuries equipped: 1,000,000 credits

Without luxuries: 210,000 credits.

Another example would be Padme's Royal Starship which is valued at 1,365,000 credits.

This wouldn't be taking into account the maintenance/repairs that it would cost.

Only the extremely wealthy could even afford such things, an example would be Prince Xizor, the guy was the richest man in the galaxy and literally nothing was expensive for him. He just dumped credits out and paid them no mind. Although his wealth was pretty much beyond being a simple millionaire and even billionaire as he had unlimited wealth pretty much to do whatever and not care.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

High-up on my list of peeves with SWtOR are those transactions that occur via story, and affect me 0%.

"Oh man! With a bounty like that we won't need work for months."

- Really? Because the reward was only 8k...Where are my untold millions Bioware!?!

I know the term trillions is used somewhat frequently in lore...but that's generally when PLANETS are footing the bill and not any one individual person. I'd assume wealthiest are probably in the high billions...but its not like our PC's can own a multi-world corporation.

Edited by Kremsau

High-up on my list of peeves with SWtOR are those transactions that occur via story, and affect me 0%.

"Oh man! With a bounty like that we won't need work for months."

- Really? Because the reward was only 8k...Where are my untold millions Bioware!?!

I know the term trillions is used somewhat frequently in lore...but that's generally when PLANETS are footing the bill and not any one individual person. I'd assume wealthiest are probably in the high billions...but its not like our PC's can own a multi-world corporation.

Well the game story isn't taking into account the credits that are just dropping from dead bodies or side quests obviously. It's just following the story, so 8k credits would be considered quite a lot.

Well the game story isn't taking into account the credits that are just dropping from dead bodies or side quests obviously. It's just following the story, so 8k credits would be considered quite a lot.

In the lore 8000 credits might be worth a lot more than say, 8000 U.S. dollars today. Let's say just for the sake of discussion that 1 Credit in SWTOR is equivalent to 1 U.S. Dollar in 1945. If that were the case, 8,000 credits would be a considerable chunk of change. In 1945 the average salary in the U.S. was $2,900 per year. If 2900 credits was the average yearly salary in the Star Wars galaxy during the SWTOR era, 8000 credits would be almost three times the average yearly salary.