Is Artifice worth pursuing?

Lucronik

Yup one of my mains is maxed out artifice

you can craft saber crystals, relics which can sell for a LOT with endgame content, and hilts. I may be missing something

not to mention you can always sell off your excess mats on the GTN. I do that with my grade 1 and 2 or if I have a lot of low lv mats I don't need

For profit it is not as strong as Armormech/Syntheeaving or Cybertech (at least since the Treasure Hunting nerf) but as for ones I am glad I have maxxed, Artifice is definitely up there with Cybertech.

Artifice really benefits with reputation, as the best dye schematics are on rep vendors.

Yes it is profitable. It requires some work but you can profit a LOT with artifice.

On the first levels there are not that many things you can sell for decent credits. Red Crystals (all theree variations) do sell decently well as it is a demanded color. But selling those alone wont make you lots of credits a you may only sell a couple average each day. But mats for those are cheap as are all grade 2 (have at least one decent lvl companion do Rich grade 2 treasure hunting to get the purple gemstones).

Now, where comes the money:

* You can craft end game gear but most will require you to get lvl 70 schematics (that takes some time as those are not tradable). 220/228 can be obtained more easy, but will be less profitable.

* Dyes: For me particularly is were the money is. Dyes do not require purple mats. Some can be obtained directly from trainer and then you need to work reputation to get other good schematics: Look for a dye/reputation guide, some require champion lvl, others Legend. The thing about dyes (crafted ones) is that people demand this a lot so even if the market is crowded you do have a chance to sell a lot.

I do the second and complement with color crystals. Also have all 6 crafting maxed. End game Augments/Kits is also very profitable.

Now, it may take some adapting time to the GTN price variations, but eventually you profit. Don't be down if one day you sold little to nothing because someone put their dyes after you for cheaper, the next day might be you and you find some days you sold out all your stock and made millions.

And read psandak guides, look for his signature.

Thanks everyone for the friendly advice! I'll continue leveling it up ^.^ do you get level 70 schematics from Ops?

Lvl 70 Schematics come from:

* Ops

* Comand Crates

* PvP Crates

* RE item modifications from PURPLE tier gear

For the last three you will need to UP your command rank first to get Tier 2 and 3. So it takes a lot of time and you cannot target Schematics from crates, any toon crafter or not can get schematics for any crafting skill.

A guide that might help you on this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=715016

Balameb,

I hate to call you out because you did plug my guide...BTW thank you, but as a function of percentage non-end game schematics are far more profitable. just as an example:

it costs me roughly 4000 credits to craft a blue color crystal that I turn around and sell for 40000, that's 36k or 900% profit

Even a 228 hilts cost me 14k to craft (without crits; with crits it goes down to 12.5k) and they sell for (low end) 50k, that's 36k or 257% profit.

There are zero end game schematics that come close to that kind of profit margin. GRANTED, I am assuming that one has to purchase exotic materials to do the crafting which REALLY carves into profits. If you raid a LOT and get a LOT of exotic materials that is a different story, but even then you are trading time for credits, one could also trade mats for materials on fleet and then sell your crits on the GTN, but again you are spending time trying to do that when you could be doing other things.

Another crafting skill where I make HUGE profits from non-end game schematics is Cybertech: I craft 228 purple ear pieces and 220 blue mods and enhancements.

My point is that crafting for profit - especially when it comes to artifice - is not all about top end game schematics.

And OP, YES Artifice is worth pursuing. I also disagree with the poster above that artifice is below other crafting skills. Artifice has been consistently my most profitable crafting skill for three years. The only one that comes close is Synthweaving and that is only because my SW is my main so I have far more opportunity to craft, post, sell, craft more in the same play session.

Edited by psandak

Balameb,

I hate to call you out because you did plug my guide...BTW thank you, but as a function of percentage non-end game schematics are far more profitable. just as an example:

No problem man, all cool. You do have more experience and i apreciate it.

40k for a Blue Crystal? Nice! Maybe is the market in JC that is a little different. I tried a couple of times with Blue crystals, they were being sold arround 20k here, so even if it is profitable with mat cost, time invested was not good to me. Most dyes sell for 40k to 90k so i just prefer to do those and when my stock is high i make a couple Color Crystals (reds are nice, cheap and go for 75k on the low side but sometimes over 100k).

I tried also the 220/228 route. Too much time reposting individual sales :(

And I dot do end game cause i don't have Tier 3 schematics. Tried Tier 1 once, took too much time to sell things.

But maybe i will recheck the gear market (beside augments and kits). I found that from time to time things shifts. For example the White-Purple-Blue crystal used to not be that demanded a couple months ago and i tried again the last couble weeks and sold several of all three kind from 80k to 135k each.

Sometimes is just one or two individuals that creates a problem in the market. Here on JC, Purple Core and Amethyst (decent colors for purple Lightsaber lovers) are usually very low in price beacuse some people spams the gtn at 40k (too much time for little profit for my taste).

No problem man, all cool. You do have more experience and i apreciate it.

40k for a Blue Crystal? Nice! Maybe is the market in JC that is a little different. I tried a couple of times with Blue crystals, they were being sold arround 20k here, so even if it is profitable with mat cost, time invested was not good to me. Most dyes sell for 40k to 90k so i just prefer to do those and when my stock is high i make a couple Color Crystals (reds are nice, cheap and go for 75k on the low side but sometimes over 100k).

I tried also the 220/228 route. Too much time reposting individual sales :(

And I dot do end game cause i don't have Tier 3 schematics. Tried Tier 1 once, took too much time to sell things.

But maybe i will recheck the gear market (beside augments and kits). I found that from time to time things shifts. For example the White-Purple-Blue crystal used to not be that demanded a couple months ago and i tried again the last couble weeks and sold several of all three kind from 80k to 135k each.

Sometimes is just one or two individuals that creates a problem in the market. Here on JC, Purple Core and Amethyst (decent colors for purple Lightsaber lovers) are usually very low in price beacuse some people spams the gtn at 40k (too much time for little profit for my taste).

Agreed that different servers have different economies, and that is why diversity is such a big deal to me. When I have all six crafting skills and all of them have multiple items that I can craft regularly and sell consistently, when one or two or ten tank in value, the other 40+ pick up the slack.