I keep getting booted to server selection

Benirons

So every now and then i get a "fake DC" thing happening to me. My connection goes down to a red bar, and shortly after im taken to the server selection.

Why is this happening? It is not my internet, cause i can open up a random website np. It is also not my internet speed, cause i have super consistent 30something ping at any given time with 4 blue bars.

So every now and then i get a "fake DC" thing happening to me. My connection goes down to a red bar, and shortly after im taken to the server selection.

Why is this happening? It is not my internet, cause i can open up a random website np. It is also not my internet speed, cause i have super consistent 30something ping at any given time with 4 blue bars.

Please do this to see if there are any routing problems between you and the servers.

Download Pingplotter at http://www.pingplotter.com

Install it so you can look at the hops to the server

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

Please do this to see if there are any routing problems between you and the servers.

Download Pingplotter at http://www.pingplotter.com

Install it so you can look at the hops to the server

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

Ty for ur reply.

What does doing this pingplotter thing do though? R u saying that if i get DCed again, and pingplotter happens to run at the time, it will tell me what is going on?

Ty for ur reply.

What does doing this pingplotter thing do though? R u saying that if i get DCed again, and pingplotter happens to run at the time, it will tell me what is going on?

Yes, basically. If you are DC’ing or getting big red X spikes, it should show up on ping Plotter too.

Ping Plotter is a live tracert (trace route) to the server that can show ping, packet loss and the hops you take to connect to the server. This is helpful in identifying if it’s Bioware, your ISP, you, or somewhere between you and the servers.

Usually if it’s only Biowares end, you will see the spikes or packet loss in the last 2 hops to the server.

If it’s your ISP, you will see it on the first couple of hops.

If it’s between your ISP and Biowares ISP connection, you will see it there.

Ping Plotter is a great tool because it uses minimal system resources and can be run in the background while you play.

It’s also free. You don’t need the paid version to diagnose simple issues like this.

Question: when it boots you, are you seeing server options? I've been kicked twice this week, straight to the server select screen, but the server list is empty for me and I have to quit the game and restart it. The first time I was in a rest area and was about to log out anyway, but last night it kicked me in the middle of combat on Oricron so when I came back I was almost dead. In addition, 2 of my guild mates have had issues with logging in in the first place. One was getting some kind of error message and she did a full reinstall (she never got back on before the install was finished so don't know if that solved her problem), and this morning another reports that the game is telling her to update her display settings to what they already are. This is starting to sound like a problem on the game end and not for the players.

Also, don't know if it's relevant but as its also an EA game I'll throw it out there, all three of us that have had issues so far in my guild also have Sims 4 installed to our computers.

That conquest screen is a long-time recurring bug. Next time you relog it should be fine. I think even sometimes it just fixes itself but can't remember since it hasn't happened to me in at least a couple of months.

Regarding traceroute - most people don't understand how many server hops there are between your computer and the SWTOR servers, and ANY ONE OF THEM can be the cause of lag, disconnect, or crappy slowness. It's not unusual for your ISP to send you on a wild goose chase over 15-20 servers just so they can save some $$ and make more off yours. If you're lucky they'll all be great servers with minimal detour on the way, but often that's not the case, and you'll be routed through one or more servers with too much traffic and dropped packets blahblah.

Pingplotter will help you determine if that's the case. But to avoid a bad node between you and the game server (this goes for all games btw) you'll need some kind of game-friendly VPN. I've used WTFast and Exitlag, which define custom, optimized routes between you and the game server you specify. Neither are free, but Exitlag was considerably cheaper than WTFast when I was using them in Blade and Soul (I haven't found the need for them in SWTOR).

Question: when it boots you, are you seeing server options? I've been kicked twice this week, straight to the server select screen, but the server list is empty for me and I have to quit the game and restart it. The first time I was in a rest area and was about to log out anyway, but last night it kicked me in the middle of combat on Oricron so when I came back I was almost dead. In addition, 2 of my guild mates have had issues with logging in in the first place. One was getting some kind of error message and she did a full reinstall (she never got back on before the install was finished so don't know if that solved her problem), and this morning another reports that the game is telling her to update her display settings to what they already are. This is starting to sound like a problem on the game end and not for the players.

Also, don't know if it's relevant but as its also an EA game I'll throw it out there, all three of us that have had issues so far in my guild also have Sims 4 installed to our computers.

Not 100% sure, but i think i did see server selection okay. Been a while, though happens rarely.

Last couple times when i see myself disconnecting, i check if i can load a webpage, and if i can, i just alt f4 cause the disconnect is pretty slow.

Terribly frustrating cause im typically in the middle of content, like a fp, or pvp and just get removed after DC.

I got booted again just now, i waited it out this time. My server selection was completely empty.

I got booted again just now, i waited it out this time. My server selection was completely empty.

I experienced that a few times last night as well and I'm in Florida, so I don't think the issue is a matter of hops/locale/network. My first guess it's EA's infrastructure is inadequate for the crush of people playing new content.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I experienced that a few times last night as well and I'm in Florida, so I don't think the issue is a matter of hops/locale/network. My first guess it's EA's infrastructure is inadequate for the crush of people playing new content.

Thing is, I kept getting booted well before dantooine released even.