Good hardware to play the game ?

OlBuzzard

I'm very familiar with ATX stuff. My first full tower was that brand. But I have to be honest .. The Cosmos has a lot of good stuff to offer ! (yeah ... probably one of those stubborn old man things !)

I do appreciate your continued input !

Yeah, I’ve been building PCs since the 90s. Even have my own business, but semi retired now.

When CM first came out with the cosmos, it was cutting edge and definitely a premium case. Not saying it still isn’t, just that there have been some great innovations and CM have been a bit on the slow side.

After years of trial and error, I moved to exclusively build PCs in CM cases until Corsair and a few others started to really innovate the market. Then poor CM lagged and the others pushed forward.

After all the 100s of PCs I’ve build in my lifetime, I can 100% say that Phantek in the last few years have been the most pleasant. They have great build quality and the design of most of them is well thought out and not just gimmicky.

The last system I built was with the one I linked and I can not praise the case enough.

Some cases are the biggest pain to build in or do cable management in or setup proper airflow circulation. But the Evolv was a pleasure to build in. I could not fault one thing and the internal customisation options are fantastic. It’s also a really quiet case and combined with my WC, you can’t even hear it. Half the time I have to check if I actually turned it on :D

It also comes standard with one of the best fans (for air cool) in the industry. I have never had any issues with air circulation since I purchased it.

That's good. Case design and airflow is so underrated when building a system. I see a lot of people get cases that have some super sweet look but those super sweet looks won't mean diddly when your components overheat and fry. I have liquid cooling for the CPU too. I also got some sound dampening for my latest rig. The last one was sooo loud with all the fans. This one is super quiet.

That's good. Case design and airflow is so underrated when building a system. I see a lot of people get cases that have some super sweet look but those super sweet looks won't mean diddly when your components overheat and fry. I have liquid cooling for the CPU too. I also got some sound dampening for my latest rig. The last one was sooo loud with all the fans. This one is super quiet.

You are 100% correct. I wish just half my customers understood all of that.

I'm very familiar with ATX stuff. My first full tower was that brand.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. The ratings seem to be pretty good and the cost is excellent !

It may just be because of your phrasing, but to clarify for other readers, I must point out that "ATX" is not a brand. ATX is a "form factor" like mATX and ITX. That is, it's just the general size and layout.

ATX goes back to the times when PCs had no sound and few ports, so people needed room to put expansion slots for various cards. Nowadays, so much stuff is on-board in the chipset, very few people need anything more than a micro-ATX (mATX) motherboard. Some people seem to mistakenly think that ATX is somehow more powerful or needed for a high-end system, but it just ain't so. :) (I run an ITX system myself, but that does restrict a few things.)

So don't limit your motherboard search to just ATX, unless you have more than just a Graphics card to plug in.

If you don't plan to overclock, a smaller Cooler Master cooler such as the Hyper T3 or Hyper T20 would do just fine. The Cosmos case is so big and airy, a stock Intel fan would probably be fine - except I don't believe the I7-9900K comes with one.

And with regard to AMD - there is a "keynote" speech scheduled soon, but that's not when their new processors will be actually released and available.

As I said before, the 17-9900K is probably the best gaming CPU available. I currently run an i5-6600, but I've always been a fan of ATI/AMD, so my next upgrade will be to a new Ryzen 3xxxx model.

If you look into reviews you may find that Ryzen processors are actually better than Intel (at similar price points) for 3D modelling.

And finally - I would encourage you to watch some YouTube videos about building your own computer.

Edited by JediQuaker

It may just be because of your phrasing, but to clarify for other readers, I must point out that "ATX" is not a brand. ATX is a "form factor" like mATX and ITX. That is, it's just the general size and layout.

ATX goes back to the times when PCs had no sound and few ports, so people needed room to put expansion slots for various cards. Nowadays, so much stuff is on-board in the chipset, very few people need anything more than a micro-ATX (mATX) motherboard. Some people seem to mistakenly think that ATX is somehow more powerful or needed for a high-end system, but it just ain't so. :) (I run an ITX system myself, but that does restrict a few things.)

So don't limit your motherboard search to just ATX, unless you have more than just a Graphics card to plug in.

If you don't plan to overclock, a smaller Cooler Master cooler such as the Hyper T3 or Hyper T20 would do just fine. The Cosmos case is so big and airy, a stock Intel fan would probably be fine - except I don't believe the I7-9900K comes with one.

And with regard to AMD - there is a "keynote" speech scheduled soon, but that's not when their new processors will be actually released and available.

As I said before, the 17-9900K is probably the best gaming CPU available. I currently run an i5-6600, but I've always been a fan of ATI/AMD, so my next upgrade will be to a new Ryzen 3xxxx model.

If you look into reviews you may find that Ryzen processors are actually better than Intel (at similar price points) for 3D modelling.

And finally - I would encourage you to watch some YouTube videos about building your own computer.

I haven't messed with ATX in a long while.

And yes I did look at the i7 9900k. But as far as I can tell the i9 9900K is the next generation up and within budget. That was one of the final determinations on that chip. I also decided to go with MSI MGP Z390 motherboard. It's better priced than the Gigabyte and works well with the Intel i9 as far as I can tell. (Several good gaming reviews seem to confirm this) .

I really love this Cosmos case mostly because there is ample room to put about anything in it I want to and then some. It has a nice large fan on the side (it came with the case) and combined with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should work very nicely. I DID learn very early on when dealing with higher end electronics for my TV / amp / DVD... etc that heat and electronics to mix well. OH.. I also have a small (very quite) 6 inch fan which drives air into the side of the desk area with multiple 2-1/2" custom cut air vents where the system rests. In short I made certain that there is plenty of air circulation AROUND the entire system. That should allow the internal fans to do a better job of cooling. I don't plan on overclocking... not yet at least !

At any rate .. I hope these posts are helpful to others who are considering upgrading or having a system built. It can and will initially be costly. At least to me it is. BUT... when you weigh in how much we use these things on a daily basis and amortize that out over several years it's actually not too bad.

I really do appreciate SWTOR and the format that has been used over the years. I wouldn't be sending this kind of cash (especially since I'm now retired) .. if I didn't plan on spending a LOT more time playing games.

Again... a tip of the hat to those of you who taken your time to respond. I really do appreciate it a lot !

Best Regards

Edited by OlBuzzard

I’ve had another look at the Cosmos since your post. Im going to assume you are talking about the latest version C700.

If so, can I make a couple of suggestions based on the hardware you said you are getting. (Just in case you haven’t thought of them)

1. If you aren’t going to be using any 3.5 in drives or Optical drives (DVD/Bluray), don’t install any of the brackets that mounts them or if they are already installed, remove them from the front area of your case.

*** the reason is to improve air flow from the front to back and bottom to top of your PC ***

2. Make sure any 2.5” SSDs are installed on the back plate. There seems to be room for two and if you also use a M.2 SSD on the Motherboard (which I would recommend for your system), you should have plenty of storage.

3. If you decide to go down the water cooling path in the future or now, you should get a 240mm radiator version and you can mount the radiator on the front section of the case and not the top. I know there is a radiator mount on the top of the Cosmos, but unless you are using a full custom loop, you will get better performance and temps if you mount a AIO WC on the front.

*** the reason is simple. If you pull cold air in directly on the radiator and not not hot air from in the case, it will work better ***

4. Make sure who ever builds the PC does good cable management and keeps the cables clean and tidy. This will greatly improve your air circulation and keep temps down. (Lazy installers just plug stuff in and leave cables hanging).

*** the Cosmos has good places to hide cables on the back of the motherboard plate. So you shouldn’t even see most of them except where they plug in. I actually spend a 1/4 of my install times perfecting the cable management ***

I’m happy to help with any advice if you need it. Just shoot me a message and I’ll try to get back to you,

Just for a laugh, I found this :

If you want some extreme air cooling, you could always try this extremely entertaining setup... enjoy :D

(What a bunch of muppets lmao)

[/snip - snip - snip]

Just for a laugh, I found this :

If you want some extreme air cooling, you could always try this extremely entertaining setup... enjoy :D

(What a bunch of muppets lmao)

Oh my stars ! Muppets is right ! That's just plain nuts ! ROFL !