Sick to death of the server lag

DewyMossEmpire

Constant lag spikes & full disconnects are ruining the game experience for me, & I am not the only one. The server lag has been an ongoing issue for weeks & it needs to be resolved. If this game can barely handle the population in its current state, how could they possibly hope to obtain more players? It's ridiculous. I pay a premium for me internet connection & no other games give me as many issues as SWTOR does.

There is no significant server lag for me, and I assume not for most players, or there would be more complaints about it.

It's most likely that it is caused by some router or hub between you and the SWTOR servers. Keep in mind that it's possible that it's only your route to SWTOR that has the problem - your route(s) to other games and apps are probably different and unaffected.

Edited by JediQuaker

It's not just the OP, there's been a few posts here, and a few people complaining in game. Keep getting lag myself and disconnections, that's definately not the laptop, or connection, both are above specs for this game. Could be a server issue, or a root hub as you said, no idea. But it is annoying.

a root hub as you said

No, he said "router or hub" (part of the Internet) which is not at all the same thing as a "root hub", which is part of the USB subsystem on the motherboard of your PC.

In the context of computer networks, a "router" is a machine with interfaces in different networks(1), while the word "hub" is ambiguous, but here undoubtedly refers to merely a meeting-place for multiple large "highways" (long-distance high-speed links) in the middle of the Internet.

(1) A very succinct way to describe the Internet is "a network of networks".

It's not just the OP, there's been a few posts here, and a few people complaining in game. .

Not too long ago there was a bunch of people complaining about lag in SWTOR. It ended up that they were all from the same country/area (I forget where, but I think it was in Europe) and all were routing through the same main gateways.

I haven't heard from them in a while, so I assume the routing got fixed at some point.

One way to visualize the the internet is to think of it like a city. Just because you can easily drive to the mall, work, etc, doesn't mean that you can easily drive to anywhere in the city - there may be rush-hour traffic, road construction, traffic accidents, etc.

Similarly, just because your internet works fine to connect to Youtube, Facebook, Steam, etc, etc, doesn't mean that your route to SWTOR is clear.

Basically, unless hundreds of people are complaining about the lag, and there is an actual problem with the servers, it's probably just your particular connection and route to the servers that is the problem.

Not too long ago there was a bunch of people complaining about lag in SWTOR. It ended up that they were all from the same country/area (I forget where, but I think it was in Europe) and all were routing through the same main gateways.

I haven't heard from them in a while, so I assume the routing got fixed at some point.

That does make sense, as I'm in Europe. But i've nearly always had a good connection, up till a few months back, not sure if it got bad straight after the merge, or if it has just declined since then :/

One way to visualize the the internet is to think of it like a city. Just because you can easily drive to the mall, work, etc, doesn't mean that you can easily drive to anywhere in the city - there may be rush-hour traffic, road construction, traffic accidents, etc.

Similarly, just because your internet works fine to connect to Youtube, Facebook, Steam, etc, etc, doesn't mean that your route to SWTOR is clear.

Basically, unless hundreds of people are complaining about the lag, and there is an actual problem with the servers, it's probably just your particular connection and route to the servers that is the problem.

This time it’s a bit different because I’m one of those affected and I’m in Australia. I also know of people in Canada and the US being affected by these spikes. It’s not an isolated path to the servers.

Just to shine some light on this too. Bioware are aware of the problem and have acknowledged there is one,

Lag Spikes after the last pach : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9705922#edit9705922

Hey folks,

No new updates but the team is aware of the issue and looking at a fix. It is our intent to get this fixed in our next patch, pending testing. I don't have timing on that patch at the moment but will pass on those details as I have them.

-eric

Edited by TrixxieTriss

This time it’s a bit different because I’m one of those affected and I’m in Australia. I also know of people in Canada and the US being affected by these spikes. It’s not an isolated path to the servers.

Just to shine some light on this too. Bioware are aware of the problem and have acknowledged there is one,

Lag Spikes after the last pach : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9705922#edit9705922

That post from Eric is about the issues that Vette is causing and not an acknowledgment about any wider lag issues.

If you are having connection lag then one thing you can do is see this post that will detail how you can isolate where the lag is occurring. For myself, when I consistently have connection issues it's generally the Level3 Communications server in Denver, which my TOR traffic is routing through, that is the cause and nothing to do with the TOR server.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3510635#post3510635

Greetings Ralidyn,

Can you all do the following please?

When you are logged into SWTOR, press the Alt+Tab keys together.

This is a good method for testing your path to the server you are connected to.

******YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO THE GAME FOR THIS TO WORK******

If you can please do the following for me:

Click on start

In the search bar type CMD

When the command window opens we would ask that you type in the following Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

You will see a line like this one (depending on SWTOR):

TCP XXX.XX.XX.XX:***** YY.YYY.YYY.YY:**** ESTABLISHED ZZZZ [swtor.exe]

The X is your local IP address.

The Y is the address of the server you are connecting to.

Please take note of number that represents the server you are connecting to, you will also see the port numbers, they will come directly after the: (colon). These will not be needed to run the following path ping.

In the same command window please type the following

Pathping –n YY.YYY.YYY.YY (Ip address for swtor.exe) and press enter.

This may take a couple of minutes so please wait whilst it completes. Once the information is visible please right click and select ‘’Mark ‘’ you can then use this to select all the information, when you have finished press return/enter. (This will have copied all the information that you have selected)

Paste it to a document and save.

With the same IP address can you please run the below command.

Tracert YY.YYY.YYY.YY

Post the information on the forums if you can and include in spoiler tags. Can you also please remove your IP address from all information you post on the forums.

Thank you.

If, like in my case, the lag is occurring at one of the backbone servers between you and the TOR server there isn't much that BW can do about it. You can still contact them, and they can try to work with the company that runs the server to resolve the issue, but your better bet is to contact your ISP. They can either try to resolve the issue with the backbone carrier or route the traffic around the server and skip the problem entirely. You might also find that the problem is closer to home, such as within a couple hops from you, which again is an issue for your ISP and not BW.

If it's an 'area' issue it's caused by a local problem at BW's end and the way they manage traffic for their global servers. It's rarely a regional service problem. If was you would hear it on the news. There was an issue a few years ago when one of the major BT hubs went down but that was fixed within a few days because the banks were screaming. I deal with this day in, day out. On an individual case it could be local internet service issues or an ISP throttling the bandwidth but that's easily enough to check.

I've had similar lag and hanging issues since the game was launched. It doesn't help that SWTOR's client is utter crap - It is leaky and intolerant. I gave up playing SWTOR twice because of it crashing or hanging (despite different OS's, hardware and ISPs). Even now it takes about 30 seconds to close after an extended session. NONE of the other MMO clients I use are as flaky.

I have a 350Mb internet connection and STILL get lag from time to time (and no it isn't Vette).

I had a multi week problem that seemed to finally get fixed a couple weeks ago.

In that case, using Traceroute, the problem seemed to be originating around some servers/connections run by a company called level3.

It's been fine since then.

Until last night.

Starting around 11 p.m. eastern my connection dropped pretty dramatically. My connection is usually around 40ms or so. Last night it was stable, but stable around 400+ms.

Never had a single issue w/ lag spikes since this game started long ago... login last night ... and NOW i cannot move more than 50ft W/O lag spikes of approx 5-15s.

The game was working as always = great, and now all of sudden massive lag spikes, nothing changed on my end.

TOTAL GAME CHANGER.

Hope this is addressed soon, it did start after i updated to latest patch... maybe that is causing some problems.

Edited by Cptn_Miller

Ok did some research and seems its related to this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9703562

Sith Warriors with Vette are totally FUBAR atm.... which is exactly what i am playing atm lol.

So, it seems they did mess it up with last patch, and they are looking into it... hopefully soon, need to get back to my quest for UNLIMITED POWEEERRRRR!!!

Doesnt look like fix anytime soon according to the post on Bug Reports, bummer.

Edited by Cptn_Miller

• 3 weeks later...
It's not just you nor is it likely to be a problem with your machine. Likely it's either too few affected people for them to worry about patching it or there is a software issue on your end and they expect you to figure out how badly you want to play. Currently I have been told everything from to try a DNS change, a reinstall, disable Bit raider, and finally even to disable my antivirus software. I have done all but the disabling of my antivirus software, decided I like my new PC more than one game, if it isn't fixed soon just going to have to stop trying to play and cancel my subscription...

same here , had a horrible lag while on Balmorra on Repb side . Back in the day , with a poor pc...Balmorra was the worst . Lag-die-on-bridge-freeze-dissapearing-background and all . But I have a good pc since those days and never had a lag anywhere since then . But this is recent .

West coast player here on East Coast server...

I’m having some massive delay in warzones, where even my abilities that are not linked to GCD are having problems activating (example: berserk and cloak of pain).

I’ve been having to hammer my hotkey just to get them to fire lately. This is especially problematic with Unleash.

Is it just me, or are other west coast players experiencing something similar?

I’m having some massive delay in warzones, where even my abilities that are not linked to GCD are having problems activating (example: berserk and cloak of pain).

I’ve been having to hammer my hotkey just to get them to fire lately. This is especially problematic with Unleash.

Welcome to my world. That’s I have to play pvp all the time with 230-260ms lag from Australia. (Makes me laugh when some bad kid is taunting me because they beat me when my stuff didn’t activate at all or they say I’m bad because their dps is higher).

Have you tried running ping Plotter in the back ground to see if you are getting packet loss or ping spikes between you and the servers? Sometimes excessive packet loss or errors will affect abilities not activing. Lag spikes are the worst of all.

If you find there are no unusual probalems, then it’s most likely the game/server.

I do know at the moment that I lag hard (red x) at the worst times. It’s been happening more and more over the last 4 weeks and ping Plotter (and other active investigations) show there are no problems with my end or the journey to and from the server. It doesn’t happen to my wifes and she sits next to me. And I know it’s not my system because it happens when I’m logged in on her PC too. We’ve tried switching PCs and she never red x’s on either Machine, but I do.

The only common denominator is my account. We’ve ruled out everything else. So I’ve no idea what can or could cause that. Maybe some of my accounts data is corrupted on the Bioware database.

I still get server lag getting to like 26k until it disconnects.

I usually get higher lag after some bigger SWTOR updates.

That’s exactly what’s happening to me and I’m in Australia.

Have you tried running ping Plotter to see if there are specific issues between you and the server?

Have you tried running ping Plotter to see if there are specific issues between you and the server?

I have not tried ping plotter, is it a program? Or a web based application like internet speed test? Thanks in advance for your help.

I am sure you are not the only one..

I had them too yesterday and have them from time to time.. I am not sure what the hell are causing them, but I think it's nothing my internet provider can do about it.

My connection is usually 55-60ms on DM server, but sometimes my ping fluctuates and it goes like 55-68-70-90110 and back to 55 and if this happens in ranked PVPit can totally ruin my game as it can make my abilities fire off late which is RIP if you are focused.

I always have to que 1, 2 reg games to make sure everything is ok before ranked.

I think the problem is somewhere on the route to the servers, but I noticed it happens before patch, or after some major patch update.

It will go away and then come back after a few weeks/days.

I have not tried ping plotter, is it a program? Or a web based application like internet speed test? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ping Plotter is a program that a lot of industry network techs use as a first port of call to easily check stuff. It gives a lot more info live than standard windows tools like tracert it ping cmd. It is not web based.

https://www.pingplotter.com

There is a paid version, but the free one is perfectly fine for home users to identify problems and ithe resources it uses are so small that you won’t notice. I run it in the back ground when I’m playing 90% of the time.

You will need to find out the swtor server IP you connect too. This changes each time you login because they are in a dynamic range. ie, my wife’s IP can be different to the one I’m connected too,

Most of the time, the IP for Star Forge is somewhere between 159.153.65.227 - 159,153.65.235

The most frequent ones I see are these.

Here are some instructions on how to find out the IP yourself.

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

My connection is usually 55-60ms on DM server, but sometimes my ping fluctuates and it goes like 55-68-70-90110 and back to 55.

That is exaclty what happens to me on SF. Except my ping lvl obviously starts higher than yours (man, I wish I had your normal ping. Can you imagine playing ranked at 225-236ms;))

225, 236, 247, 300, red x, keeps going till it’s about 52000 and then suddenly slams back to 225ms.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Ping Plotter is a program that a lot of industry network techs use as a first port of call to easily check stuff. It gives a lot more info live than standard windows tools like tracert it ping cmd. It is not web based.

https://www.pingplotter.com

There is a paid version, but the free one is perfectly fine for home users to identify problems and ithe resources it uses are so small that you won’t notice. I run it in the back ground when I’m playing 90% of the time.

You will need to find out the swtor server IP you connect too. This changes each time you login because they are in a dynamic range. ie, my wife’s IP can be different to the one I’m connected too,

Most of the time, the IP for Star Forge is somewhere between 159.153.65.227 - 159,153.65.235

The most frequent ones I see are these.

Here are some instructions on how to find out the IP yourself.

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

Ty! I’ll try my best to navigate this. Thank you so much

• 1 month later...

I'm in Slovakia and playing on DM. My ping is usually 40ish ms.

I havent tried Plotter, cause jumps to 26k and above are really rare, but most of those happen after game updates. It could be sonething with EA servers.

I'm in Slovakia and playing on DM. My ping is usually 40ish ms.

I havent tried Plotter, cause jumps to 26k and above are really rare, but most of those happen after game updates. It could be sonething with EA servers.

I often find the ping problems start the week prior to a major update and and last 2-3 weeks after.

So your theory is possibly true. It would make sense that they muck around on the back end data bases and systems the week before deployment and then have to fix everything they stuff up during deployment.