Romance continuation?

Kyhiker

Just curious, which class story LIs are you talking about? I've only played through the empire side so far.

I've seen or heard about it happening (and in a few cases ran into it myself) with Torian, Andronikos, Doc (Jedi Knight), Corso (Smuggler), Nadia (Jedi Consular) and Felix (Jedi Consular) off the top of my head. There are conversations with many of these companions where there are two flirts and a rude response, so if you want to be nice to the companion you're stuck flirting. With Corso there's one conversation very early on, where he's drunk, that apparently locks in the romance. With Nadia, if the male JC is kind to her after she's suffered a tragedy (trying not to spoil the story if you have not played it), that can apparently trigger her romance, too.

There have been other posts I've seen here from players who flirted with Doc or Andronikos once and suddenly found themselves in the romance tracks. I've also seen posts here from people who refused a one-night stand with a companion but later the companion acted as though they'd slept together anyway (Tharan Cedrax in the JC story).

I've personally found that if you don't want the romance it's safest to just avoid any and all flirts even if it means being rude to the companion. That little pop-up in KOTFE and beyond where they warn you straight out if you're breaking up or triggering a romance has been so welcome.

Also at the end of most of the class stories, in your final conversation with the companions most of them will allude to you having children, which can be especially weird if your character didn't do the romance and/or doesn't want kids.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, which class story LIs are you talking about? I've only played through the empire side so far.

Can't answer for Io, but I've seen people complain that Nadia's romance is like this. I haven't played it myself yet though, so I am skeptical to a degree. No other romance I've played has started without the player at some stage taking a [Flirt] option. It is a valid enough complaint that there's sometimes no way to kindly reject a LI - either it's a flirty yes or a rude no - and in these situations I certainly wish there was a kind way to indicate no romantic interest. Ultimately though I never see [Flirt] options as being kind if there's no sincere romantic interest, so I don't read it as "I was just being kind, and the romance somehow started on its own and couldn't be ended!"

Sometimes I do think people misremember. (Maybe I do too; I'm happy to be corrected anytime I recall something wrong.) For instance people talk about Doc as being relentless but on my JK who didn't romance him I recall him giving up after she picked two hard "no" options. To me, for someone as extremely flirty as him, two isn't actually a whole lot. I also remember a lot of chances to end various romances... And I have never accidentally romanced a character in a Bioware game - even though it's a complaint lots of people had, e.g. with Leliana, Liara, etc. I tend to think (maybe wrongly) that unless there was a bug at work some people just clicked through their dialogue too quickly or weren't sufficiently observant.

Can't answer for Io, but I've seen people complain that Nadia's romance is like this. I haven't played it myself yet though, so I am skeptical to a degree. No other romance I've played has started without the player at some stage taking a [Flirt] option. It is a valid enough complaint that there's sometimes no way to kindly reject a LI - either it's a flirty yes or a rude no - and in these situations I certainly wish there was a kind way to indicate no romantic interest. Ultimately though I never see [Flirt] options as being kind if there's no sincere romantic interest, so I don't read it as "I was just being kind, and the romance somehow started on its own and couldn't be ended!"

I think that if we're fond of the companion on a platonic level, it's a valid argument that one picked a flirt to avoid rudeness and accidentally got caught in a romance. It's happened to me in this game with only one or two flirts, and no awareness on my part that I was locking anything in.

I much prefer the way the romances are run in KOTFE onward where there has to be clear intention and it's indicated with those pop-ups and numerous flirts over time. I also like that in KOTFE there are conversation choices that allow the player to be friendly/polite even if they have zero romantic interest in the NPC.

Sometimes I do think people misremember. (Maybe I do too; I'm happy to be corrected anytime I recall something wrong.) For instance people talk about Doc as being relentless but on my JK who didn't romance him I recall him giving up after she picked two hard "no" options. To me, for someone as extremely flirty as him, two isn't actually a whole lot. I also remember a lot of chances to end various romances... And I have never accidentally romanced a character in a Bioware game - even though it's a complaint lots of people had, e.g. with Leliana, Liara, etc. I tend to think (maybe wrongly) that unless there was a bug at work some people just clicked through their dialogue too quickly or weren't sufficiently observant.

With my JK, she was openly rude to Doc on Balmorra and turned down all of his flirts there, but it continued once he was on the crew. It was way more than twice. I remember him making a comment about how he liked that she was feisty because she kept being rude to him.

It's possible to shut Torian's romance down and stop him from proposing if you tell him you don't want kids or don't want to raise them Mando, and IIRC it's also possible to shut down Felix and Andronikos if you refuse their proposals, but I've heard that Nadia's impossible to extricate oneself from.

I'd again ask how you'd feel if every time someone said ANYTHING nice about Theron, people felt the need to pounce and complain. It's like a constant fixation at this point. I just can't get into debates about it anymore because it's like Groundhog Day; nothing new is ever said and nobody's mind is going to be changed.

Theron's not the most controversial character but you'll often find people saying how much they dislike him or how happy they are they could finally get rid of him, some of them being really happy they could let him die, because 1) they found him annoying, 2) he was a traitor (even if he was not), 3) he destroyed their fleet, 4) he drags you into his familly drama, or 5) was too good looking or other justifications like that.

Take Arcann, also who is constantly refered to as a mass murderer, genocidal maniac or space hitler, which was true, but he's not really the same person anymore.

Or Koth who lots of people are happy they could kill because 1) he dared express he was not happy with them killing his people while he has been clear from the start that killing civilians, no matter if ennemies or not was not something he approved of, 2) he seemingly had a thing going with Lana, 3) he's called a hyppocrite because he doesn't straight up believe complete strangers who tell him his "benevolent ruler" is a monster while he was raised in a society worshiping said monster.

So i'd say it's pretty similar to people complaining that they don't like being in situations they find uncomfortably too intimate with Lana when they are not romancing her... Except the 3 men above can be killed or exiled, so people who don't like them can get rid of them the way they want.

And so i'd again ask you how you'd feel if Theron and Lana's role were swaped and if you were finding yourself in a very intimate relationship with Theron while you don't like him ?

As Io said, you have some class stories where your only choice sometimes is either take a rude answer or take a [flirt] not too be too rude to your companion, and then you're locked into the romance.

That happened to me with Nadia, i did not want to be rude with her, and had to take 1 [flirt] because the choice was being nice between 2 [flirt] or being rude, next dialogue with her i was stuck with 3 [flirts] and had no way to undo the 1 [flirt] i took in the previous dialogue, so i was locked into a romance i did not want to take

For instance people talk about Doc as being relentless but on my JK who didn't romance him I recall him giving up after she picked two hard "no" options. To me, for someone as extremely flirty as him, two isn't actually a whole lot.

Well, like Io, i was rude to Doc on Balmorra, going as far as threatening to feed him to Collicoids, and telling him that he was just a human shield and that did not dissuade him to continue, and the only way to shut him down rather quickly once he's on your ship is playing the "I'm a Jedi card", which does not necessarily suit every female JK. You can't really tell him that you're just not interested and the rude answers who should say that are [flirt] options, which is kinda weird actually. He's honnestly the only one with whom i wanted to pick the rude answers and that did not have the intended effect as these answers actually encourage him to continue.

I much prefer the way the romances are run in KOTFE onward where there has to be clear intention and it's indicated with those pop-ups and numerous flirts over time. I also like that in KOTFE there are conversation choices that allow the player to be friendly/polite even if they have zero romantic interest in the NPC.

I like it better this way as well, as you don't have to be rude, you just have to be friendly, and you can even be a bit teasing without being locked in the romance while you don't necessarily want too if you don't pick the 1 [flirt] that will trigger the pop-up, end even then, you can cancel that choice with the pop-up.

Thing is maybe they changed it because there were people who complained about the way the romances were locked before, so if people don't express their concerns about how Lana is handled when they're not romanciong her, they'll just continue their habit of putting her even in situation where she would not necessarily be welcomed.

Though you don't have a way to politely tell Jonas that his flirtings are not welcomed, which was a bit annoying as well.

Edited by Goreshaga

And so i'd again ask you how you'd feel if Theron and Lana's role were swaped and if you were finding yourself in a very intimate relationship with Theron while you don't like him ?

As I said, I'm done debating it. Not everyone has the same interpretation of those scenes and that's how it is.

By all means advocate for more content with the LIs and NPCs you want to see, because choice is great. But maybe, just maybe, it would be more productive and get more people on board without bashing others' LIs or assuming that every player agrees that the only characters who show friendship or concern or develop any level of intimacy with the PC should be LIs.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

As I said, I'm done debating it. Not everyone has the same interpretation of those scenes and that's how it is.

By all means advocate for more content with the LIs and NPCs you want to see, because choice is great. But maybe, just maybe, it would be more productive and get more people on board without bashing others' LIs or assuming that every player agrees that the only characters who show friendship or concern or develop any level of intimacy with the PC should be LIs.

Well, I guess this will do as an answer then :

if the walk had been with Theron or Quinn I would have been extremely uncomfortable with it.

If you're able to aknowledge that this walk (wich is 1 instance) woud've been uncomfortable for you with someone else than Lana, then you should be able to understand why all the other instances could feel uncomfortable with Lana for other people...

Well, i'm always up for more romance content for every LIs, even the ones I don't like or i'm just not interested in romancing, as long as it's romance specific, and i'm not forced through the same things with a character not romancing them.

I'd have no problem with a companion who is not my character's LI having some intimacy with my character IF I was able to set myself that level of intimacy with a given NPC, and choose which NPC is allowed that intimacy.

My JK may see Lana as a friend, that doesn't mean she'd be ok with her being in her bedroom while she's sleeping...

My other characters may be friendly with Theron, that doesn't mean they would be ok with him being in their room while they sleep either, even though i like Theron.

My JK may be friendly with Koth, that doesn't mean she would've been ok with him touching her knee in any other instance than him saving her from Arcann on Asylum (well, i don't really know what he's actually supposed to be touching there, if its the knee or the thigh, but well, if she was not dying at that moment, he'd have been up for a slap in the face), or that she'd go to a walk in the woods alone with him to watch waterfalls under the sunset.

If she had ever woken up to find Doc, Scourge or Rusk (which in his case would be a possibility as he's a sleepwalker) in her bedroom, they'd have been up for a Force push onto the nearest wall). Kira would've been ok though as they're pretty much like sisters.

Even IRL, i may see people as my friends, that doesn't mean they're allowed to touch me if i don't want to or that they're all welcomed in my personnal space.

Maybe that's because i'm like that IRL, that this is a real issue for me there, and i never said everyone should feel the same way as I do, though as there are other people who have the same issues, it's not a personnal thing only.

So, i'd really appreciate if I was not forced into uncomfotable situations with any NPC when it's not my choice. So that's not restricted to Lana only and is true to any other NPCs I would not consider close enough to my PC, but unfortunately she's the one who suffers the most from that, and on every last of my PC except the 1 who romanced her (there i had no issue with all that).

Well, I guess this will do as an answer then :

If you're able to aknowledge that this walk (wich is 1 instance) woud've been uncomfortable for you with someone else than Lana, then you should be able to understand why all the other instances could feel uncomfortable with Lana for other people...

Actually, no. I don't remember when I said that, or where you are quoting from, because it's clearly not this thread. But no, I don't agree that every instance people are "uncomfortable" with, with Lana, is an intimate situation because the devs mistook how people would interpret that walk. ETA: I really don't want to have any animosity with you, but I'm not going to rehash this again. It's been discussed ad nauseaum.

And frankly? I don't also think that one person, or even a clique of players, being uncomfortable with it means it shouldn't be there or shouldn't be in the game. I don't like Doc; I don't play the Jedi Knight again. I don't like Quinn; I spacebar through his scenes in the Sith Warrior story with the rudest answers possible. I don't like Theron; I spacebar through his scenes in SoR and KOTFE/ET. I put masks on characters like Theron I can't stand looking at.

I don't think major characters should be removed or minimized because someone doesn't care for them, and I don't think that an adverse interpretation of their actions mean they should be modified for everyone. Just like some people think Arcann is some sort of charming sensitive man and some of us think he's a genocidal dictator who abuses the player, opinions vary and the game shouldn't be changed because of that. If you don't like what Lana does, spacebar. Ignore.

If someone is fixated on Lana to the point of complaining about her past content every day in every thread that mentions her, maybe one should take a break instead of expecting content to be modified to accommodate their opinion, which is NOT shared by all.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Actually, no. I don't remember when I said that, or where you are quoting from, because it's clearly not this thread. But no, I don't agree that every instance people are "uncomfortable" with, with Lana, is an intimate situation because the devs mistook how people would interpret that walk.

All it takes it to click the arrow by the quote: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9693350#post9693350

:rolleyes:

All it takes it to click the arrow by the quote: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9693350#post9693350

:rolleyes:

Point still stands. And frankly if one feels the need to dredge up old posts to try to force a debate, well, I am sure there are more constructive uses of one's time.

ETA: And I suppose if the anti-Lana brigade really feels the need to swarm into any thread where someone makes a positive comment about Lana and complain about the same issues for the umpteenth time, or take umbrage with anyone who disagrees that their interpretation of scenes should be definitive, nobody can stop them. Congrats, it's once again derailed another thread. What do you think, if you say it 9999 times Charles Boyd will rewrite KOTFE just for you?

The constant fixation, need to counter every positive Lana mention with negativity, and constant rehashing of grievances about her past content is getting sad. Scream about it all you want, I suppose, but it's really tiresome.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Point still stands. And frankly if one feels the need to dredge up old posts to try to force a debate, well, I am sure there are more constructive uses of one's time.

You are forcing the debate because you need to insist that people who disagree with are wrong!

You are forcing the debate because you need to insist that people who disagree with are wrong!
It takes two to tango, you can’t force a debate.

Anyone who keeps on with it is choosing to do. We should really try to get back to the original topic least this thread get the axe.

As far as romance continuation, I think the conversation thus far has clearly established the... emotional attachment to our precious companions is still alive and kicking. Hopefully BioWare hasn’t lost sight of this.

Like others have stated. If you are not romancing Lana, you'll probably be disappointed.

I personally wish Theron would get that kind of treatment, because his Romance is more Star Wars, doubly so if you are a JK . The Theron romance essentially makes the story about the legacy of Revan, because your character, through marriage, is part of Revans family. I said doubly so as a Jk, because his mother knew you and watched you grow as a Jedi since you were a Padawan, you are what Satale wanted Theron to be. It all just feels very star warsy to me. But to each his/her own.

And if you’re a warrior Satele watches you grow and become a true threat, only to see you redeemed much like Bastilla redeemed Revan.

Lots of ways to tell the story that give it more or less meaning.

But to the the topic, I personally do prefer Theron’s romance as well, and while I think it is more in line with traditional SW stories, part of the goodness of the EU has always been the way it wasn’t Afraid to tell new stories as well.

I think Lana will likely get similar amount of content to other companions going forward. They’ve already established alternative quest retreaval characters, and even set up some possible tension/betrayal narrative if you side with the Republic as she is shown to have been hiding messages sent to you.

As a SW I romanced Vette all the way. Now, at the end of the Ossus story line, I have the option to start a romance with LS Jaesa. Does anyone happen to know if this will "visibily" affect the Vette romance? I mean, will there be a cutscene or something telling me that Vette isn't happy and ends the relationship?

As a SW I romanced Vette all the way. Now, at the end of the Ossus story line, I have the option to start a romance with LS Jaesa. Does anyone happen to know if this will "visibily" affect the Vette romance? I mean, will there be a cutscene or something telling me that Vette isn't happy and ends the relationship?
Since KOTFE you now get dialogue box warnings if you’re about to start a new romance and end an old one. You will have to accept for a romance to start that would lose Vette.

Pretty sure only Theron and Lana get a generic breakup scene if you romance someone else. The rest are just automatically unflagged if you go past the dialogue box mentioned in the post above.

The generic scene doesn't even make sense for new romances because it mentions getting back with your old flame but they still throw it at us for Theron and Lana anyways.

Edited by Suzsi

Pretty sure only Theron and Lana get a generic breakup scene if you romance someone else. The rest are just automatically unflagged if you go past the dialogue box mentioned in the post above.

The generic scene doesn't even make sense for new romances because it mentions getting back with your old flame but they still throw it at us for Theron and Lana anyways.

Koth also gets a breakup scene. Arcann gets a breakup letter. Jaesa was originally supposed to get a breakup letter if you immediately dump her for Arcann or Theron, but since that is no longer possible, it never happens.