My first impressions as a new player

Xistel

Hello, everyone!

I've been playing SWTOR for about a week now (lvl 25) and I'd like to share with you my initial thoughts on the game:

- Despite being 7 years old, I think the graphics look fine. Could do with higher resolution textures, but that's it. It has aged considerably better than the KOTOR games, for instance.

- I started as F2P but decided to buy the Origin deluxe pack, as I think the game is worth it, especially since I'll be supporting the team who keeps it running.

- Story is very engaging so far. Wasn't expecting any less from our boys at Bioware.

- I feel there aren't many players in the English European Sever, but I'm also not very aware of how big the Universe in the game is. Everyone might be very spread out.

- This game is perfect for those, like me, who were hoping for KOTOR 3. It's a great spiritual successor.

- I feel the game is quite easy. Wouldn't mind it being a tad harder.

- I'm quite shocked that the team behind the game hasn't really been pushing the marketing side of things, now that the SW franchise in an upswing across all mediums. I mean, not even a post on SW facebook page, paid media, updated reviews on websites ... nothing. It boggles my mind as the game is F2P so the "eh, I'll give it a go" attitude is easy to come by. It's a great game that deserves more attention and a greater push.

- And now a question: What are the plans for SWTOR?

There is plenty to do for a new player. Wait until you've been playing it seven years.... You'll be bored to tears and tear through any crumbs of new content within an hour or 2.

BioWare made it stupid easy for a certain type of special snowflake who found that pushing buttons and learning how to play a character class too hard. - You can always dismiss your companion, or use one with lower influence.... ( or disable some if their abilities) Or just agro 2-3 groups of mobs at a time for a bit of extra challenge. There are hard things to do solo, but they tend to be for characters of higher levels.

Welcome To SWTOR. There are a lot of older jaded gamers around here, but for a newcomer, the world is still a candy shop, so fill your boots and enjoy. :)

GL OP.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Hello, everyone!

I've been playing SWTOR for about a week now (lvl 25) and I'd like to share with you my initial thoughts on the game:

- Despite being 7 years old, I think the graphics look fine. Could do with higher resolution textures, but that's it. It has aged considerably better than the KOTOR games, for instance.

- I started as F2P but decided to buy the Origin deluxe pack, as I think the game is worth it, especially since I'll be supporting the team who keeps it running.

- Story is very engaging so far. Wasn't expecting any less from our boys at Bioware.

- I feel there aren't many players in the English European Sever, but I'm also not very aware of how big the Universe in the game is. Everyone might be very spread out.

- This game is perfect for those, like me, who were hoping for KOTOR 3. It's a great spiritual successor.

- I'm quite shocked that the team behind the game hasn't really been pushing the marketing side of things, now that the SW franchise in an upswing across all mediums. I mean, not even a post on SW facebook page, paid media, updated reviews on websites ... nothing. It boggles my mind as the game is F2P so the "eh, I'll give it a go" attitude is easy to come by. It's a great game that deserves more attention and a greater push.

The game is very immersive, I believe the graphics create a perfect ambiance for a Star Wars game. I never played the prior SW game(s), so only know SWTOR as far as the comparisons go.

As a new player, you are going to have a really enjoyable time because every class has it's own story which you can navigate differently. You can make a sith sorcerer that chooses more light side options, or be a psychotic power monger choosing all dark side options and although both are sith sorcerers your story will end up quite differently.

The voice acting is impeccable, again quite immersive. The planets are all very different with their own nuances, every class gets a different set of companions which you can interact with differently adding different flavors to the overall story of your character.

The original chapters which were developed first and the game launched with provide the highest quality of game play. The original chapters also have very detailed and rich companion stories that really make you grow attached to them (or hate them) depending on your own personal taste in personalities.

Instead of listing all the things I dislike about the newer chapters etc., I will let you experience the game on your own and come to your own conclusions without my tainted perception ruining it for you.

Have fun! :p

Enjoy the game. The absolute best part is from your starting world to Corellia. The stories are good, the game feels like Star Wars. From there, with each expansion the game has gone downhill so that by the time you get to KotFE and KotET, the game is in pretty bad shape. Osus is better than the last 2 "expansions", but that's still a pretty low bar and it's designed to be a grid to get gear to keep people playing until whenever 6.0 drops (I expect next fall or winter, maybe near Christmas.) So, I'd say do all 8 stories through Corellia and then pick a character or two to go on from there with. All the stories after that are either one story per faction or one story for everyone.

Welcome OP! As others have said, you're in for a fun ride. The original 8 class stories are IMO the best in the game. Personally I've enjoyed all the expansions (some more than others) and I definitely recommend experiencing them all. Fwiw the final expansions (KOTFE & KOTET to be exact) are best experienced as a force user.... you'll understand why once you get there, but you've got a while yet before you get to that point. Play through all the content, make multiple characters of different classes, and enjoy yourself. You can make it a lil more difficult by setting your companion on dps or tank, and not upgrading your gear as often. (I usually go about 10-12 lvl's, but I enjoy it being fairly easy) Also.... the veteran and higher FP's offer an extra challenge if you can find a group. (Make sure it's a group that will let you enjoy the stories btw) Endgame operations will become available at lvl 50 IIRC and those will definitely test your skills. There's also ranked PvP if you're feeling "ready for war".

So find a good active guild, and explore all SWTOR has to offer. And if you have any questions, there are many of us in game and here on the boards willing to help. ;):cool:

For a new player there are tons of things to do and it's a lot of fun. It's us grizzled old vets that have been around for all 7 years (or even less) that get bored to tears and argue about what's next. Take your time and enjoy yourself. There's no need to hurry through to the end.

Also recently started playing, been trying various classes while the double exp event is going.

First went with the boring lawful good sword and board class. Guardian has lived up to the expectations. The story is boring, the companions are boring, the class is boring.

The only class weakness seems to be complete lack of range. Has jumps to help but one has long cooldown, second costs resourcepoints and has no range, and third only jumps to your companion in case he needs help. Companions never need help, they're super overpowered and stronger than you.

Would love to see some ability pruning, staring at 3 rows full of shiny buttons gets depressing. Do we really need 10 ways of hit the thing you don't like in the face with saber, how about two, hit one thing in the face really hard, or hit many things in the face half-as-hard? How about one jump that does all of the above on shorter cooldown instead of 3? How about all those defensive abilities get moved to passives or autocasts and then "It just werks"? I'm sure all the grand piano enthusiasts will disagree but that was my new player impression.

For new players: recommended. The class NEVER dies. Many buttons! My cat could play it better by randomly rolling around on keyboard.

Second I tried the sneaky rogue class. Whew, what a change of pace. Also, melee with low to no range, all 4m and 10m abilities, but also no gap closers like guardian, and also light armors no tanking, made of wet tissue paper and gets beaten up by trash mobs. But on the upside can just ignore those trash mobs and walk right past them, nice.

Felt very weird playing such underperforming class, according to story you're the saviour of the downtrodden peasants against the evil mustache-twirling Sith, the Jedi Master, the Barso.. the Berfa... the Birfinth.. the holder of impossible to remember stupid title only 3 in galaxy!, but at the same time you get beat up at school and taken away your lunch money by trash mobs. Also, picked the AoE subclass in hopes I don't have to click every trash mob individually, but no, they do in fact get huge AoE but it only gives enemies, I don't know, slight indigestion, or minor headache, or something.

Damn shame too, I normally love playing rogue classes and the double-saber aesthetic is cool as all hell. I'm sure it's all perfectly balanced and not some developers personal vendetta to savagely clobber the class with a nerf-bat.

New players: not recommended, class highlight is heroically tactically retreating when things get tough.

By now I'd have gotten tired of:

"Help, help, Master Jedi, we're being opressed by evil Sith!"

"Have no fear, I'll for sure save you!"

"Goody two-shoes companion1 approves.."

"Goody two-shoes companion2 approves.."

"Stupid dumb lizardman disapproves. Because he's dumb. Why haven't I spaced him yet?! I'm sure if I tell him there are points outside and Scorekeeper is waiting, the rocks for brains will walk right out the airllock into open space!".

copy/pasted 1000x. So I picked a more mundane non-space magician class.

Finally, no more Mary Sues. Smuggler right out the gate botches a simple delivery job, and gets his car stolen. Should have bought that insurance, sucker! It's like playing myself in the videogame, awesome.

Not sure what's with the abilities though. He kneels down, draws big green circle on enemies, and then anything below elite gets VAPORIZED. No gun reloading, no long cooldowns, just smooth sailing MELTING anything that looks at him funny. Not that I'm complaining, felt like the opposite day after Jedi Shadow.

New players: highly recommended, a DPS that can DPS.

Haven't tried fourth class yet. All in all, good times all around. Would still prefer KOTOR3 to this, but better than nothing and all that.

A lot of people complain about that. Apparingly the goal was to push everyone as fast as possible into KOTFE / KOTET "subscriber only" territory.

They did so years ago. There were even Lego starships.

By now I'd have gotten tired of:

"Help, help, Master Jedi, we're being opressed by evil Sith!"

"Have no fear, I'll for sure save you!"

"Goody two-shoes companion1 approves.."

"Goody two-shoes companion2 approves.."

"Stupid dumb lizardman disapproves. Because he's dumb. Why haven't I spaced him yet?! I'm sure if I tell him there are points outside and Scorekeeper is waiting, the rocks for brains will walk right out the airllock into open space!".

Not sure if you are tired of the helpless people begging you to save them over and over, or the lizardman hating everything you do, or both. :p For what it's worth, all the classes have some companion that will hate what you do. SWTOR teaches us, just lavish them with gifts, and all is forgiven!

Also, I found the imp side stories more interesting. There were, in my opinion, much less about saving some random people over and over, and more about saving your own arse over and over. To each his or her own, of course. Plus the imp side voices are so much cooler. That's just a fact, not opinion at all. :p

Yeah, playing the Empire rogue now and having much better time.

Part of it is better aesthetics, shooting lightnings just feels that much more satisfying.

Part is wrong spec, picking DoTs for story run was a big mistake. I'm sure it's all dandy in OPs but in story trash should die fast or why bother on sneak class. Meticulously administering 5 different strains of rackgroul plague while trash mob shatters your lightly armored porcelain face over pavement is absolutely terrible, and the one good dot sever force you get is when the story is nearly over.

And part of it is the meh story with weaksauce villains. Meanwhile the other side enjoys "Mr.Bean trips over emperor's throne and everyone agrees he's the new Palpatine" comedy show.

Hello, everyone!

Just take your time and enjoy it because eventually down the road you'll be begging for more content.

Haven't tried fourth class yet. All in all, good times all around. Would still prefer KOTOR3 to this, but better than nothing and all that.

Hey, happy you found class you like! Would just want to point out there is 8 classes not four (in means of how it plays i mean). For example smugler has gunslinger (ranged dps, one you play and like) and scoundrel (rogue style class dps or heal depending how you spec it). Those 2 share same storyline but play totally different ways. Same goes for all "main classes" they got all 2 totally different subclasses, which also have different subspecs. Test around!

If you liked gunslinger i think you might also enjoy playing Commando (trooper) so test that too. On imp side you get same classes basically as mirrors but with different animations.

One of the things the OP mentioned was the desire for higher resolution textures. The game actually originally (in beta) had significantly higher textures. You know how nice everything looks in cutscenes when you have your settings maxed out? Well....in beta and up until launch day that was the standard for the ENTIRE game. :-)

On launch day however they toned down the quality as a method of saving bandwidth and catering to those folks who had not so great hardware. At the time of launch SWTOR wasn't (and IMO still isn't, but is better) optimized.

That being said, I'd love to have the cinematic textures for the whole game again. 7 years later I'm sure people have caught up with hardware. :-)

Edited by nekogunner

One of the things the OP mentioned was the desire for higher resolution textures. The game actually originally (in beta) had significantly higher textures. You know how nice everything looks in cutscenes when you have your settings maxed out? Well....in beta and up until launch day that was the standard for the ENTIRE game. :-)

On launch day however they toned down the quality as a method of saving bandwidth and catering to those folks who had not so great hardware. At the time of launch SWTOR wasn't (and IMO still isn't, but is better) optimized.

That being said, I'd love to have the cinematic textures for the whole game again. 7 years later I'm sure people have caught up with hardware. :-)

Yeah, the hardware has improved for sure. Would love to see that happen!