5.10 and Beyond: PvP Under Siege (Bad Feeling Podcast w/ Musco and Boyd)

Talon_strikes

Source

Full VOD

General:

• No more server merges.

PvP:

• Difficult playerbase to make happy, in 5.10 PvE'ers have an advantage and that is partly intended as so much of the new content revolves around Ossus.
  • PvP'ers should be able to gain new gear through reputation tokens from ranked/unranked weeklies and the masterwork data crystals using components.
  • No intention to put bolster at 258, would remove the gear progression and it would complicate potential future PvP updates like if they want to reintroduce expertise or change gearing.
  • Ranked weeklies require 50 warzones played (wins counts as x5), many players did ranked and just died/contributed nothing to gain the rewards, this update is a first step and devs will monitor and adjust in future updates if required.

Future Things:

• 5.10 isn’t the last update before 6.0, there will be more updates before and the next one will be 5.10.1 which will include the Ossus instanced boss Geonosis Queen, that boss drops 258 weapons as well as a related vanity item.
  • Guild Heraldry is coming, might not be ready for the next patch (5.10.1) but is being developed.
  • No comments about 6.0, but what you would expect to be there is most likely going to be there, such as a new tier of gear and new level cap.

Other Things:

• Desync is being worked on and the developers would like to hear more (detailed) reports about when it occurs, what the setting was and as much information as possible.
  • A new game engine is basically impossible at this point and it becomes a prioritization question between creating new content or a new engine, make a guess what players would be likely to prefer.
  • No EU Server Merges, the policy of EA/Bioware to have one German and one French server so neither will be removed or merged into the English one for the moment. No server mergers in general planned as all servers have "healthy populations".

Edited by Talon_strikes

Source

Full VOD

* A new game engine is basically impossible at this point and it becomes a prioritization question between creating new content or a new engine, make a guess what players would be likely to prefer.

RIP. New world bosses have shown how poorly the game optimized for any large-scale PvP activity. On a Ryzen 2600@4.0GHz I've had FPS drops to sub-20 just recently. Huttball WZ runs much smoother, but the FPS sometimes dropped below 30 and it felt like some players microteleported. It's so weird that a game with quite a simplistic graphics and moderate system requirements is so poorly optimized. I think I'll just cancel my subscription after finishing vanilla class stories.

Edited by ZakPreston

RIP. New world bosses have shown how poorly the game optimized for any large-scale PvP activity. On a Ryzen 2600@4.0GHz I've had FPS drops to sub-20 just recently. Huttball WZ runs much smoother, but the FPS sometimes dropped below 30 and it felt like some players microteleported. It's so weird that a game with quite a simplistic graphics and moderate system requirements is so poorly optimized. I think I'll just cancel my subscription after finishing vanilla class stories.

New content vs game engine ?

Well.. considering that over the last year we got like 10 minute worth of stories, I would prefer a new game engine... thanks.

6.0 ? Yes.. new gear grind. I doubt it will be anything major tho. 4.0 -5.0 sized expansions are excluded imo. Good luck.

To those still asking for a new game engine, the Friday the 13th game actually decided to upgrade their engine this year. It took them four months during which time they could release nothing else. This is because every single asset has to be reworked into the new engine. When it finally did come out, the bug count was as bad as it had been during the beta.

Every single map in that game could probably fit on Tatooine, absolutely Alderaan. SWTOR might have more money, a bigger team, and a simpler engine but you're looking at at least a year between updates if they decided to update the engine. It is a bad idea.

To those still asking for a new game engine, the Friday the 13th game actually decided to upgrade their engine this year. It took them four months during which time they could release nothing else. This is because every single asset has to be reworked into the new engine. When it finally did come out, the bug count was as bad as it had been during the beta.

Every single map in that game could probably fit on Tatooine, absolutely Alderaan. SWTOR might have more money, a bigger team, and a simpler engine but you're looking at at least a year between updates if they decided to update the engine. It is a bad idea.

Anthem (proud warframe and destiny 2 ripoff) is going to be your new engine.

I think this means only one: the game is in maintenance mode, supported by skeleton crew and none (including devs) has any hopes for this game. SW:ToR may be operational for a few more years (mainly thanks to whales that donating cash shop). Problem is that you can't build a stone house on a shifting sand, and BW perfectly realize that. Thils means that we will never see smooth gameplay without microfreezes, stutters and desyncs...

R.I.P.

There were some good news here.

PvP'ers should be able to gain new gear through reputation tokens from ranked/unranked weeklies and the masterwork data crystals using components.

Yes, I've been saying since PTS that rep tokens should be available from wz missions as well. Musco said he thought they were supposed to be, but was going to double-check. Would be a major improvement if they were. This is imo the biggest issue with this gear system: having to play other content in order to gear up for one's desired content. Time-gating and long gear grind are also big issues for pvp.

Similarly, as I've mentioned many times before, the rotating weekly mission needs to always offer "complete one of the following" objectives from all affected game areas (wzs, ranked arenas, pve etc.).

No intention to put bolster at 258, would remove the gear progression and it would complicate potential future PvP updates like if they want to reintroduce expertise or change gearing.

They mentioned they are contemplating using cosmetics as progression in pvp instead of stats in the future, which is great! That or a 4.0-like gear system for pvp (with good bolster so pve gear is still viable), or a combination would be good.

Good to hear they are looking into desync as well!

No merges to me proves they don’t play the game, or if they do they play 0n Star Forge. The only way ranked pops happen on SS is with pre-coordination on the various Discord channels. Occasionally, you may get lucky in two small time slices during the weekend but otherwise ranked doesn’t pop on SS. I’m not paying to move as this is a situation they’ve created. As much as I’d enjoy a healthy sized pvp pool, there’s zero chance I’m paying for it. I already pay the subscription and that should be enough.

I don’t see much to be excited about anything they said. It’s all pretty much circular non information. Even moving their code to DirectX 12 would give folks a nice performance boost, but it’s clear they don’t have the staff necessary to do so. AAA title with C sized staff. Pretty sad. Why am I paying for this again? Ugh, I feel dumb when I think too much about it.

New Game engine ofc we have enough content!!

Yes, definitely prefer a new game engine so more and better content can be added in the future and not be restricted by this crappy engine,

They would even be able to reenable old content they had to disable because the engine couldn’t handle it. Ie proper OWPVP.

Adding new content to this busted engine is like build a shantytown ontop of another shantytown ontop a swamp that’s ontop off a major earthquake fault. Eventually it will be unplayable or only the most basic structure can be added till it all comes crumbling down.

They should sort of do what FFXIV did and rebuild the game from ground up and rerelease on a new engine.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

AAA title with C sized staff. Pretty sad. Why am I paying for this again? Ugh, I feel dumb when I think too much about it.

rofl. That's what I said in an earlier post. Honestly when the game brings unhappiness more so than happiness, it is time to take a break.

I took a 1-1.5 year break after 4.0, and then left as soon as they announced the gearing system change with 5.10. I not only took a break, I finally decided to talk with my wallet this time and quit my sub.

Why pay them for awful changes and zero content? At the very least if they have limited funds, they ought to make changes that actually make the game more enjoyable, not the opposite.

Just really disappointing tbh. Makes me so resentful of EA and BW, even though I aint sure exactly who to blame for the state the game is in now. :confused:

eaware has done the unthinkable with 5.10 and admited they were wrong.

they have accepted that cxp was a flop. under the leadership of kieth he has convinced them to remove cxp.

I think this is the best updat in 2 and a half years, and for that... Im giving them the benefit of the doubt. I will stay for 6.0 launch. kieth came through with removal of cxp and the return of 4.0 pve gearing. I will give him the chance to come through once more with expertise.

there are reasons to believe expertise is highly likely to return.

Unwillingness to invest funds into engine update (dx11 renderer and 64-bit client) shows that the game has already served it's purpose and is not worth the efforts. I have a high suspicion that the only reason why SW:ToR is even alive at this point is because there is no other SW MMO, and perhaps won't be any for a couple of years at least.

Unwillingness to invest funds into engine update (dx11 renderer and 64-bit client) shows that the game has already served it's purpose and is not worth the efforts. I have a high suspicion that the only reason why SW:ToR is even alive at this point is because there is no other SW MMO, and perhaps won't be any for a couple of years at least.

I wouldn’t expect another SW MMO in the future. There are none on the horizon and EA have the rights to the SW game content till 2023. That’s another 4 years and then, “if” Disney give the licence to someone else it will take 3-5 years to develop another game which might not even be an MMO.

EA have no inclination at this point to start making another SW game (not already in production). They’ve got no plans to make one and there is still the question if Disney will renew the licence for them. It makes zero business sense for them to go into development of any new SW MMO till they know.

Basically, we are looking at 3-5+ years after 2023 before any SW MMO could be reasonably expected to be developed. That’s if MMOs are still a thing or they decide to make one. So the earliest we could expect a new SW MMO would be 2026-2029.

By then I’ll be nearly 60 and so I expect this will be the last SW MMO I’ll ever get a chance to play.

The best possible solution for me is they upgrade this engine and invest real money to properly reinvigorate the development and quality of the game. It’s a long shot and I won’t hold my breath of it ever happening.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

may be after the anthem fail, bioware will back on work on SWTOR !

may be after the anthem fail, bioware will back on work on SWTOR !

This game is done dude.... The only way to go from here is another star wars mmo. swtor2 or something similar which is very very unlikely to happen in the near future or next decade I think.

So enjoy what you got while it lasts. story wise the game is over saturated, the longer they do this alliance thing the stupider it gets..

From PVP standpoint, classes are getting more HP/Stats..and killing something takes forever as it is. the classes have totally outgrown the maps.

This game is just an extra income for EA with a Star Wars name attached to it and you can see that with how little they care about this game. If it wasn't obvious so far, it should be now.. after 5.10 was released.

When Anthem fails, Bioware will likely fold and swtor will get put on a permanent server maintenance situation or actually shut down.

This is what I fear as well.

However, I'm not into action games, like Anthem, and I'm less and less into action games the older I become.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

This is what I fear as well.

However, I'm not into action games, like Anthem, and I'm less and less into action games the older I become.

I’m the same. I will probably go back to my strategy games if swtor shuts down or becomes unplayable when too many people leave.

There is one game I might try called Elite Dangerous. It’s got a feel to it like the old Star Wars space Xwing and Tie Fighter series (which is what GSF should have been).

It’s been said to be the true progeny of those games. Reviews say it’s continuously improving since launch (unlike swtor). It’s also a sand box game that allows you to do your own thing or join others. It has exploration, factions, crafting, space pvp (even VR if you have the money).

One really cool pvp feature is you can have your friends as a crew on your ship (if you have a big one) and they can either work your ships guns or launch their own ships from your internal landing bay to fight if you have a really big ship and they have smaller ones. (Aka, tie fighters launching from a star destroyer).

You should google it and check out the website and YouTube vids (I can’t link it because it’s against the TOS to link other games.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Love this game, but 5.10 and the gear changes have actually made me uninterested in trying to get the new gear, and I had numerous characters min/maxxed long before 5.10...but these changes... requiring the crystals, locked mods and enhancements, just to name a couple of things, have totally turned me off. Feels like we've come full circle back to battle bags and luck of the draw. There isn't freedom, and the level of grind that seems to be needed, especially if you have multiple toons, seems daunting and totally unfun.

I wasn't a fan of CXP and that gearing system, definitely not the way it was first implemented, but by the end, it was certainly manageable....and it didn't punish alts too much. You had your command crates, and you grinded out to cxp level 300, and if you had alts, you were getting good unassembled, plus the extra 248s, so all you had to do was really grind the left side out for each toon.

This new system sucks. i'm just keeping with my 248s that are min/maxxed, but of course, I feel confused and lost. The devs need to make some massive changes and very quickly.

I dont speak for anyone but myself... but I find my attention wandering to other games right now.

the big thing isnt really the grind, its that after 2 and a half years of the same dam meta we still sitting in the same crapp with no end in sight.. and it doesnt help that with only 4 crystals a week we are looking at 2-3 months to gear.

this meta isnt fun to begin with, with a heavy lean toward 30m root and burst (sniper/merc) and its just getting old and stale. after 2 and a half years it wouldnt be unrealistic to call this a console game at this point.

Edited by Seterade

I dont speak for anyone but myself... but I find my attention wandering to other games right now.

the big thing isnt really the grind, its that after 2 and a half years of the same dam meta we still sitting in the same crapp with no end in sight.. and it doesnt help that with only 4 crystals a week we are looking at 2-3 months to gear.

this meta isnt fun to begin with, with a heavy lean toward 30m root and burst (sniper/merc) and its just getting old and stale. after 2 and a half years it wouldnt be unrealistic to call this a console game at this point.

The added new gear grind was the straw that broke the camel's back, however not changing up the power paradigm, not even just a little bit for the classes only adds to the nothing-new albatross that is flying heavily over the game right now.

I mean, how hard would it have been just to tack on some bonus % to crits for sorc dps, or add some damage output to notoriously bad classes? Anything would have made the meta better. Add some DCDs to the PT, etc.