The PVP community has spoken...how does Keith respond?

FourPawnBenoni

I guess you all need to learn to craft now instead of complaining. LOL Fortunately i have some crafters already thank goodness.

I don’t get this response from people who don’t like PvPers, it is just silly. Crafting is not difficult, or a skill you need to learn in game, it is one of the many grinds. You can get a toon max crafting in like 2 days. For most PvPers crafting augments is their primary source of income. Since I came back to the game, I have had more money in the bank then I hav ever had before because of the mats you get in ranked.

The complaint is adding a new gear system which actively punishes PvP as your primary game mode. It also prioritizes credits, which apart from augments have always been just for cosmetics. Many PvPers have never made gaining millions and millions of credits a priority, as it has had little effect on how they play the game. I have a few outfits I like, I bought a few SHs but other then that credits are not all that important to me. I likely spent to much on SHs as I still spend most of my time on the fleet.

I am now very much a casual player now, but when I was more hardcore, I never had more then a few million in the bank at one time. But I put many hours a week into the game. It never occurred to me to horde credits as they did not get me anything I really needed. All I needed was my augments and I was cool.

Now I am going to either need to grind a ton of credits for this gear, or buy off the CM to raise funds. Not a great system in my book. The new gear will require me to completely change the playstyle I have had for years.

Edited by mhobin

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly we are looking at the end lifecycle of the game. They are setting up for pure maintenance mode. It is a long gear grind, very little content and a push to grab every dollar from the CM on the way out. At least the new planet has a great color scheme.

This is my feeling for quite a while, too. I believe that Keith's task was exactly that. Giving the game one final overhaul to create a state of the game which can continue for a few more years in maintenance mode - with the option to, if things go better than expected, add some stuff on top - but without creating anything new anymore (gameplaywise). It all makes sense if you see it like that.

The forums are basically dead at this point. It is the same 10 people talking about game mechanics, and a few others who talk about companions and cosmetics.

Thanks. I'm glad someone else spoke it out this time. ^^this is so true. I lol'd well.

I think that the key thing for the playerbase that is left is to make peace with how the game is now and accept that this is and will be the way.

I guess you all need to learn to craft now instead of complaining. LOL Fortunately i have some crafters already thank goodness.

Thats not the problem. As a guild leader I have a crafter who I can throw the mats at - and there is the problem.

I run a pvp guild with mostly players who also have IRL details like jobs or kids. How am I supposed to farm the new mat?

I don't. To gear everyone i am dependant on buyjng off the CM or the other method.

Thats not the problem. As a guild leader I have a crafter who I can throw the mats at - and there is the problem.

I run a pvp guild with mostly players who also have IRL details like jobs or kids. How am I supposed to farm the new mat?

I don't. To gear everyone i am dependant on buyjng off the CM or the other method.

I don't think that's the problem people have though - the problem is that to farm this new mat we will have to spend weeks on end not doing PvP and focusing on daily areas, Ossus stuff, MM FPs, etc. which a lot of us do NOT enjoy. We also won't enjoy being in warzones with others having better stats than us and there being nothing we can do about it. If we were able to grind this gear out by doing PvP I think it would be fine.

PvEers don't have to focus specifically on getting this gear since they'll be doing the new PvE stuff regardless. PvPers could do the same thing until now - just PvP and you earn UC while doing what you enjoy that you can use to gear up. This won't be the case come 5.10 if changes aren't made.

I think this is a good opportunity for BW to add this new mat as a reward for WINNING x number of warzones. It will improve warzone quality AND since we have xfaction now luck+skill will get you the mats.

This is of course assuming you can get the schematics outside of NM Iokath, which afaik, you can't. So you'll have to pay tens of millions to buy one from the GTN, if you're lucky.

This is of course assuming you can get the schematics outside of NM Iokath, which afaik, you can't. So you'll have to pay tens of millions to buy one from the GTN, if you're lucky.

Do you mean mats? You get the schematics from the trainers. There is a specific mat required that only drops in NiM GotM.

Source: http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

While I wish to see whatever changes the majority consensus of PVPers considers most appropriate and I will support whatever that is, I really personally don't have any preference. To be fair, I only play one toon, so that makes things alot easier and thus my concerns are not in keeping with what to most PVPers is the norm, namely alts taking time to gear.

I don't want to make myself a hippocrite as I have been outspoken on this point, I am of the opinion that it is proper, that it takes someone wishes to BIS gear out 15 alts 15x as long as BISing gear one. I don't believe in price breaks, two-for-one specials discounts on every 3 rd toon :rolleyes:

That said, however, it is unfair to right after the game that dumb Light vs Dark crap thingy to make people level 976 alts to get a comp that BW was just gonna throw everyone for free 6 months later anyway and than make a system of gearing that is particular hard to gear them all. I don't think that's right either.

As a former Hm/NiM progression I have an unusual view of gearing than most of my fellow PVPers, I see the BIS gear as I always have, something that shouldn't be easy to get, or fast to get, and shouldn't just be transferable to any other toon without proper preperations [legacy/mirror]. That works great for the Raider mentality, that's their bread and butter, they don't want it easy, they don't want it fast, they don't want it bought, they want to take it by force and killing anything that is standing in between them and the gear they want. Any other way for a Raider is nearly shameful heh [but hey sometimes its ok to take a short cut here and there :cool:].

The differences in mentality between Raiders and PVPErs [both Of which i feel connected with see their needs in equal light] they are irreconcilable. They're total opposites. This present gearing system with BIS gear being shared by both communities, I personally have no issue with at all and I am fine with it,but that would be a selfish stance for me to take to vote for knowing full well it is not what they want and not how they see things. I'm the odd man out, and I'll let them deciede what they think is best for PVP as whole. Whatever that consensus is, I fully support, I will say this though, I do feel there was some value in the shared gear, as it allowed the two communties to interchange with each other on an easier basis and probably opened some eyes to the other side of the street and perhaps got some players interested in the other game mode than they would have not otherwise. I do think this was the initial reasoning behind, and I am not against that idea.

That said, it doesn't matter what I think, I'm going to be fine no matter how it plays out because I'm just in it for the bloodshed mostly anyways, everything else is just details. While I do LOVE gearing and I am happy when I hear new gear tiers are coming even knowing what that means for a grind, it makes me excited and makes the content seem fresher. But that's the raider in me, PVPers do not feel that, they feel the exact opposite. Any grind, is too long because gear should be irrelevant to the PVP mode, all that should play into it is skill.

Whatever the consensus vote of my fellow PVPers is, than that's my vote to, they speak for me. Come what may.

To the devs, I don't think you are doing anything wrong here, in fact, I'm digging it, but, I stand with them. [PVP].

P.S. - Please get rid of this cross faction crap in PVP, I keep on trying to attack people the game won't let me target and those people are always pubs. TY :cool:

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I don’t get this response from people who don’t like PvPers, it is just silly. Crafting is not difficult, or a skill you need to learn in game, it is one of the many grinds. You can get a toon max crafting in like 2 days. For most PvPers crafting augments is their primary source of income. Since I came back to the game, I have had more money in the bank then I hav ever had before because of the mats you get in ranked.

The complaint is adding a new gear system which actively punishes PvP as your primary game mode. It also prioritizes credits, which apart from augments have always been just for cosmetics. Many PvPers have never made gaining millions and millions of credits a priority, as it has had little effect on how they play the game. I have a few outfits I like, I bought a few SHs but other then that credits are not all that important to me. I likely spent to much on SHs as I still spend most of my time on the fleet.

I am now very much a casual player now, but when I was more hardcore, I never had more then a few million in the bank at one time. But I put many hours a week into the game. It never occurred to me to horde credits as they did not get me anything I really needed. All I needed was my augments and I was cool.

Now I am going to either need to grind a ton of credits for this gear, or buy off the CM to raise funds. Not a great system in my book. The new gear will require me to completely change the playstyle I have had for years.

I am a pvper and good one matter of fact you took that wrong. I was referring to the community being upset over having to craft which is hard for pvpers to find time to do, with all the killing that must be done. So its not really fair to make us do that.

Edited by Fallensouls

I don't think that's the problem people have though - the problem is that to farm this new mat we will have to spend weeks on end not doing PvP and focusing on daily areas, Ossus stuff, MM FPs, etc. which a lot of us do NOT enjoy. We also won't enjoy being in warzones with others having better stats than us and there being nothing we can do about it. If we were able to grind this gear out by doing PvP I think it would be fine.

PvEers don't have to focus specifically on getting this gear since they'll be doing the new PvE stuff regardless. PvPers could do the same thing until now - just PvP and you earn UC while doing what you enjoy that you can use to gear up. This won't be the case come 5.10 if changes aren't made.

I think this is a good opportunity for BW to add this new mat as a reward for WINNING x number of warzones. It will improve warzone quality AND since we have xfaction now luck+skill will get you the mats.

Yes, I agree.

I really like the idea of winning x number of warzones to get access to the mats. Maybe it would make people try to win.

Do you mean mats? You get the schematics from the trainers. There is a specific mat required that only drops in NiM GotM.

Source: http://dulfy.net/2018/10/11/swtor-patch-5-10-developer-livestream-notes-coverage/

Dasty

Ive read that dulfy article over and over and i dont see where it says the specific mat only drops from NM gods.

"Crafters – Bind on Equip

Acquire schematic from trainer

Use materials from crew skills, Ossus, PvP, Conquests and Gods from the Machine Bosses

Fastest way to get the gear this way but you will need to do be able to do Master Mode Gods from the Machine (only drops from Master Mode)"

Granted i have not played on the PTS yet, but i am reading this as stating that crafting will/can be the fastest way (NOT the only way) to get these mats and therefore the gear.

Am i misunderstanding their words? Btw, i also dont see the last sentence in the slideshow picture either, so possibly interpreted incorrectly.

Edited by olagatonjedi

Ive read that dulfy article over and over and i dont see where it says the specific mat only drops from NM gods.

Use materials from crew skills, Ossus, PvP, Conquests and Gods from the Machine Bosses

Fastest way to get the gear this way but you will need to do be able to do Master Mode Gods from the Machine (only drops from Master Mode)"

Granted i have not played on the PTS yet, but i am reading this as stating that crafting will/can be the fastest way (NOT the only way) to get these mats and therefore the gear.

Am i misunderstanding their words? Btw, i also dont see the last sentence in the slideshow picture either, so possibly interpreted incorrectly.

Look at the actual recipes currently captured by Dulfy for the crafted gear. You will see that you in fact need some materials from ALL of those sources to craft the gear. http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/swtor-masterwork-armor-4.jpg They follow the same core procedure as prior to tier 5, but require different and more components, a good number of which are rare drops (currently very rare).

The actual materials costs as currently profiled on PTS are absurd... even for a BiS gear profile. It can certainly be done, and will be.. but at those current materials costs (unless drop rates are increased notably, or materials costs are decreased notably) will mean crafted gear is NOT the fastest way.. but rather the slowest and most expensive way.

That said... things are still early on PTS and it's a bit over the top to see current patch on PTS and spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt all over the place prior to final recipe requirements being locked for the patch release.

Edited by Andryah

Operative phrase is "only drops from Master Mode." Dulfy was paraphrasing the Cantina presentation. In that stream they clarify that one of the mats only drops from the Master Mode GotM.

While it is true that they did state during the stream that crafting is the fastest way to gear my eyes practically popped out of my head when I saw the crafting mats actually involved. Obviously, subject to change as it is the PTS.

Edit: What Andryah said lolz...didn't see that post.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Operative phrase is "only drops from Master Mode." Dulfy was paraphrasing the Cantina presentation. In that stream they clarify that one of the mats only drops from the Master Mode GotM.

While it is true that they did state during the stream that crafting is the fastest way to gear my eyes practically popped out of my head when I saw the crafting mats actually involved. Obviously, subject to change as it is the PTS.

Edit: What Andryah said lolz...didn't see that post.

Dasty

I went ahead amd watched the live stream and got my answer. Thanks for the replies though.

Still no BW response? GG.

They never cared about what players want. They only care what lead producers want lol. Just quiting this game is the only option since swtor is becoming forever-grind fest where you need to grind same content you don't want to play all over again to get gear for playing pvp which you like to play.

I'm just playing the game to pass the time until the next great patch is released for Star Citizen. I was playing Overwatch and Star Citizen and decided to revisit SWTOR for a bit. I finally got my main maxed out again, and only took 4 months, lol. Now I'm just back to hunting down other players again that can never be found since there has never been open world pvp in this game, and doing 1v1 deathmatching in the warzones since I have stopped caring about winning a wz since March of 2012.

Even after being away from the game for 2 years I see players are still complaining about the PvP in this game, hehe. Well, for one thing, there has really never been any "real" PvP in SWTOR, and I'm sorry, but I just don't count these lazy, put together, cookie cutter warzones as "real" PvP. SWTOR maybe better than SWG overall, but SWG's PvP back in the day blows this game away. This game is really just KOTOR online, just a PvE game with a hint of PvP.

Players have been threatening to unsub everytime Bioware makes a change, and it's true, they have been. The game is way quieter than it was 2 years ago. There's hardly anyone at the stations now. And even though openworld PvP was a joke at least there were always a few players hanging out at the Den to spar with. What really killed whatever PvP was left in this game is when they decided to give every player on every server the choice of playing in a PvP or PvE instance. That was a big mistake and just further verification that Bioware has absolutely no interest in PvP in this game, and is only primarily concerned with PvE. I'm not even sure why they even put their little PvP system in this game to begin with.

I mean BioWare said in the beginning that this tier was going to be extremely hard to get and is expect that only dedicated players will get the gear and is not meant for casual players. I understand the argument but how many players are you really gonna see with the gear in pvp? Probably a very small percentage. And if they do take the time to get it, they earned it. Besides, I though gear didn’t matter in pvp?

I mean BioWare said in the beginning that this tier was going to be extremely hard to get and is expect that only dedicated players will get the gear and is not meant for casual players. I understand the argument but how many players are you really gonna see with the gear in pvp? Probably a very small percentage. And if they do take the time to get it, they earned it. Besides, I though gear didn’t matter in pvp?

It doesn't matter in the warzones. Skill is about the only thing that matters in the warzones. When I came back 5 months ago I still had my 208 gear, and I was killing just as many 248s as I was any other player. Gear only really matters out in the open world, but like I said you hardly EVER see anyone in the open world PvP instances.

It matters for ranked a lot. I wouldn't say it's required for unranked at all, but it does help. Personally I'm going to completely stop playing ranked until I get 258. But honestly the grind looks so long I don't know if I'm going to bother. You will see people in PvP with the new gear though. Anyone desperate to climb in rating will be buying that as soon as possible to try and get an advantage over people still queuing in 248.

Players have been threatening to unsub everytime Bioware makes a change, and it's true, they have been.

Not soon enough. This guy

Does the PVP "community" speak or just endlessly complain that this isn't a PVP game?

Star Wars Battlefront II is out there, peeps. Designed and made for PVP.

is right on the money imo. I pvp a lot but I don't like to think of myself as a pvper because it means putting myself in the same company as the obnoxious whiners who think this game would rake in sub dollars if they only redesigned it to the pvp community's exacting [and simultaneously contradictory] specifications.

The game is way quieter than it was 2 years ago. There's hardly anyone at the stations now. And even though openworld PvP was a joke at least there were always a few players hanging out at the Den to spar with.

Since the merger I've had no complaints about queues. As for the Den, I gotta lol. I've been playing this game and pvping since 2.0. In that time, I've never seen anyone in the Den who wasn't passing through to do their companion story.

What really killed whatever PvP was left in this game is when they decided to give every player on every server the choice of playing in a PvP or PvE instance. That was a big mistake and just further verification that Bioware has absolutely no interest in PvP in this game, and is only primarily concerned with PvE.

This only applies to OWPVP. If you want your cheevos, go on that side. If you don't want to get ganked, which was a frequent occurrence when I was playing on The Bastion, stay on the PVE side. What is lolzy about this being the thing that killed pvp is that what it actually did was separate the gankers from the ganked, and as something that came as a surprise only to the 'community', there wasn't all that many pvpers once the gankees had a safe space!

I'm not even sure why they even put their little PvP system in this game to begin with.

It's really not difficult. This is a theme park mmo so they have their obligatory pvp stuff. No, it's not a main part of the game, but it gets more attention than space stuff. Like, if you've been playing long enough to have good memories of OWPVP, then this fact should not be a shocking revelation. PVP is not the focus and never has been. You either accept that and do other things besides pvp, or you play a game that actually makes pvp a focus.

Edited by Ardrossan

I really just hope they've seen the backlash to this...Keith has proven he's willing to listen to customer feedback...they have time to change how this is going to work and time to tweak numbers. I don't care that we're getting new gear - it's needed in many ways...but it needs to be more readily available for ALL players, not just the ones who need it least.