*looks around, mumbles shyly* C-Can Scourge Become A Romance Option Please?

Ylliarus

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely don't hate Valkorion as a character! I mean, how could you hate him... he is epic, especially his voice! However, I have difficulty reconciling the Sith Emperor we saw throughout the base game and the Sith Emperor we see as Valkorion. Because as Vitiate he is vastly different than Valkorion, up to the point that they seem as two completely different beings with completely diverging motives. Vitiate wanted to consume the galaxy to become the ultimate being, Valkorion seemingly wanted to create the ultimate galactic society. Perhaps both are based on a god-complex, but they vastly differ from one another in endgoals. Vitiate seemed enigmatic and incomprehensible to mere mortals, Valkorion on the other hand just comes across as yet another despotic ruler with grand plans for the galaxy.

I do think that Charles' post about it helps clear a lot of the issues with mixing both his benevolent dictator personality and his nihilistic abomiation together.

Yet if you take into account that KotFE and KotET were actually the original planned story for KOTOR 3, then it makes sense. If you look at certain aspects of the story you'll find that it comes across as recycled from an originally different idea. The Outlander fits the role of Revan, who is captured by an unknown hidden force that is a great threat to the Republic. We're rescued by Lana Beniko, who can easily be swapped with the Exile, who went out to find Revan/the Outlander to rescue him, along with their faitful droid T3-M4, or in KotFE's case, T7-01. I could continue on drawing the parallels, but surely you get the point I am making. KotFE and KotET basically were recycled from an original idea for KOTOR 3, but changed to fit the already existing narrative of SWTOR. Which is why we get yet another secret Empire ruled by an Immortal Emperor.

I do think KOTFE and KOTET could easily be turned into their own games, a KOTOR 3 if you will. And interesting, I never drew those parallels before but now that you mention it I am connecting the dots here... as Inquisitor Jerec would say "Very intriguing".

Edited by FlameYOL

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I find it surprising people hate the Valkorion side of Tenebrae....

I don't have an issue with the character per-se, just his somewhat unbelievable plot of double empires and all that jazz. His rituals that required (atleast originally) co-operation or dozens of sith as well was kinda downplayed. I get the idea was that all the kills of the zakuul war would fuel him, but where was the rituals he has previously used to consume their life-force and/or how can a droid replace the lords he needed before?

Also, pet-peeve, maybe it's just me but his characteristics as Valkorion don't fit how he acted in his previous roles as Vitiate. The dude was borderline paranoid half of the time with some intense fear towards few chosen ancient sith like Naga. That mellow leader type Valkorion had going for him might have just been his cover act for Zakuul too that he just continued to use with the outlander... For me that act just felt kinda out of character compared.

I didn't want to be the first to say that... but now that the words are out there, I'd be down for a Vowrawn romance myself as well! He is absolutely one of my favourite characters from SWTOR and frankly, if he were a romance option I'd be extremely happy with that!

We haven't had any "old" (over 50) characters to romance at all in game, or any BW game really (not counting the immortal-thousand-year-old-babyfaces). Chances of that happening are probably pretty slim. But I'd take him too in a heartbeat, what is he now, like 80 something? Best gramps.

Always wanted to romance some older folks in DA/ME games too, like Wynne, Loghain, Mordin or Chakwas :pFlemeth would be ultimate bae though, and probably my death lol

Edited by Kiesu

Yet if you take into account that KotFE and KotET were actually the original planned story for KOTOR 3, then it makes sense. If you look at certain aspects of the story you'll find that it comes across as recycled from an originally different idea. The Outlander fits the role of Revan, who is captured by an unknown hidden force that is a great threat to the Republic. We're rescued by Lana Beniko, who can easily be swapped with the Exile, who went out to find Revan/the Outlander to rescue him, along with their faitful droid T3-M4, or in KotFE's case, T7-01. I could continue on drawing the parallels, but surely you get the point I am making. KotFE and KotET basically were recycled from an original idea for KOTOR 3, but changed to fit the already existing narrative of SWTOR. Which is why we get yet another secret Empire ruled by an Immortal Emperor.

I hadn't thought about it in this way before, but reading it like that makes perfect sense. I immediately pictured KotOR 3 vividly in my head. This would have been a great game. Very interesting idea.

Ontopic, I wanted to say that

*looks around, mumbles shyly* C-Can Scourge Become A Romance Option Please?

Not with this kind of attitude. He needs a partner on a par with him. :p

I don't have an issue with the character per-se, just his somewhat unbelievable plot of double empires and all that jazz. His rituals that required (atleast originally) co-operation or dozens of sith as well was kinda downplayed. I get the idea was that all the kills of the zakuul war would fuel him, but where was the rituals he has previously used to consume their life-force and/or how can a droid replace the lords he needed before?

Also, pet-peeve, maybe it's just me but his characteristics as Valkorion don't fit how he acted in his previous roles as Vitiate. The dude was borderline paranoid half of the time with some intense fear towards few chosen ancient sith like Naga. That mellow leader type Valkorion had going for him might have just been his cover act for Zakuul too that he just continued to use with the outlander... For me that act just felt kinda out of character compared.

[/size]

Yeah the double Empire is a bit ludicrous. And I'm disappointed about the ritual retcon as well, what I'm more inquisitive about is how in the name of King Adas Tenebrae found Zildrog in the first place. And from what I know the Droid didn't replaced the lords, I think from what was told to us my interpretation is that Tenebrae used Zildrog to consume the life on Ziost, but someone would still have to catch all that force energy, that someone being Tenebrae.

I always saw the Valkorion side a means-to-an-end for Tenebrae, he was trying to manipulate the player. He did mentioned he would spend eternity becoming everything... maybe I'm taking that line too literally but to me he was just trying to experience a different type of Empire, perhaps a better type of Empire for him and his needs, when he talks about Zakuul he's constantly stroking his own ego about how perfect it is. At the end of KOTET however he shows his true colors again and drops the benevolent dictator act.

Edited by FlameYOL

I personally don't like every character becoming a same sex romance option or a romance option in general. Makes the characters feel less immersive and lifeless in my opinion. When you have characters that your character grows to like, but one character friend zones you, one character is only interested in a certain race, one character is gay/straight, and another character that is bisexual, the characters feel more alive, as they have their own preferences, opinions, and all these things make a personality authentic; which is important when you are telling a story in my opinion. Edited by cool-dude

I personally don't like every character becoming a same sex romance option or a romance option in general. Makes the characters feel less immersive and lifeless in my opinion. When you have characters that your character grows to like, but one character friend zones you, one character is only interested in a certain race, one character is gay/straight, and another character that is bisexual, the characters feel more alive, as they have their own preferences, opinions, and all these things make a personality authentic; which is important when you are telling a story in my opinion.

I prefer this as well, like they have in dragon age, but it's just not going to happen in swtor. Besides, it's cheaper this way. So I think with romances it will always be one size fits all.

The Outlander fits the role of Revan, who is captured by an unknown hidden force that is a great threat to the Republic. We're rescued by Lana Beniko, who can easily be swapped with the Exile, who went out to find Revan/the Outlander to rescue him, along with their faitful droid T3-M4, or in KotFE's case, T7-01. I could continue on drawing the parallels, but surely you get the point I am making. KotFE and KotET basically were recycled from an original idea for KOTOR 3, but changed to fit the already existing narrative of SWTOR.

I hadn't thought of that before. That makes total sense. I can see it too now.

I personally don't like every character becoming a same sex romance option or a romance option in general. Makes the characters feel less immersive and lifeless in my opinion. When you have characters that your character grows to like, but one character friend zones you, one character is only interested in a certain race, one character is gay/straight, and another character that is bisexual, the characters feel more alive, as they have their own preferences, opinions, and all these things make a personality authentic; which is important when you are telling a story in my opinion.

Normally I don't like that either but when the game was being created they were given a mandate "no gays in the star wars universe at all, period" so the characters couldn't be planned or made from the start with a range of sexualities (species preference would have been cool though, I love any species acknowledgement) they have to do what they can after the fact and making up for lost time like that isn't going to feel natural but what can you do? (aside from continuing the "nohomobro" mandate that is). As for characters who weren't previously romance options becoming romance options, has that happened before? I agree that it would be weird if every character was suddenly a romance option but Scourge makes sense as a possibility IMO.

I agree. I don't either. I was pretty disappointed to hear Light Jaesa, the only young female companion who was not into the player character, will do a 180 and suddenly be into everyone the next expansion "because fans requested it". That was big part of her LS personality, having her way despite firts.

Scourge is the same, though his unwillingness surely partly came from the immortal curse that also made his mind and body numb to feelings. I loved this part of his mystery, I'll sure be sad if they make it go away, "because fans requested it" again...

I sure hope every companion in the future doesn't turn bi either, and still have their own preferences. Swapping sexuality halfway is a little... hmm...

Edited by Kiesu

Meh, this feels like a cop out to me. None of the companions have much more depth than just adding flavor to the story, a handful of conversations over the vanilla leveling zones to round things out. None of the companions have been developed to the point that they are going to lose some vital characterization by being made same sex romance options.

A little fan service here would be a good, and years over due, thing.

I disagree. I play the story how I want to based on my personal preference and all the characters in my story, whether they be my player characters, npcs or companions reflect that. It makes absolutely no difference to me if the companion has been designed as a romance option whether that be straight or gay. I like how the devs have given all players all kinds of options so they can get their own preference. It gives us choice when before there was none.

• 5 months later...
I beg you bioware make scourge romancable, a lot of people want it and I am one of those people, seems unfair that while arcann is romancable scrouge is not, if arcann can change and be romancable scourge should be too, I have only just returned to the game after many years of being away from it and one wish I have is that soon you will make scourge romancable please

A proper and epic romance with Scourge is one of the few things that could turn my feelings around about this game. I would come back/remain for a Scourge romance. I've wanted this since the beginning of the game. I know I'm not alone. Please make him available to all who want to romance him. Edited by Lunafox

I don't think having the majority of characters available for every gender loses immersion. Only a few characters are very expressive about their preferences, like I'd say Doc or Tharan. The rest of them wait for the PC to make the first move, so it's all dependent on the player. I don't see a good reason in locking players out of romances unless it truly is a part of the character, which for the most part in this game, seems to be not so.

As for race, I think this makes a little more sense. Racism (or specie-ism) is very palpable in the Star Wars universe. It makes sense to me, for an alien to be rejected by a Sith lord. Does it have to always be this way? Maybe not. Maybe the Sith lord can go through a character arc where they get past their biases and the PC can romance them!

Basically what I'm saying is, if you're going to lock the player out of a romance, be ready to back it up with some reasons that we've seen in the game. If you're going to lock me out of a gay/lesbian/bi romance, I'd appreciate if those preferences were made clear beforehand, and written in an interesting way. At least drop some hints. Maybe let PCs flirt with all romance options, but not all of them respond openly to it.