Subs broken or game closing ?

TrixxieTriss

Here’s a thought (half joking... but)

Maybe it’s Biowares first steps to closing the game? I wonder if they’ll tell us or just turn off the servers. They might not even know yet and EA have done it and not told them.

Imagine finding out you’re out of a job because forum posters tell you they can’t resubscribe :eek:

the whole sub page looks like its been re-design and sometimes i get forward to EA's website. Where do i cancel my sub? There's no more button on the bottom part of page. Edited by Wopr

the whole sub page looks like its been re-design and sometimes i get forward to EA's website. Where do i cancel my sub? There's no more button on the bottom part of page.

Sounds like you won’t have to if you can’t currently pay to resub.

Being forwarded to the EA website is a bit disturbing :eek:. Maybe my joke wasnt so much of a joke as I thought

If they were closing the game, they wouldn't do an interview about the future of the game, a few days before. The site bugs out, it happens. When the game closes, eventually, we'll be told formally.

I know you were half joking, but I can only assume you were also half serious, so I gave you a serious reply!:)

Wow. Well, we obviously have an internal communications problem as we were only notified a few minutes ago. Let me see what I can find out and get some insight about what's going on.

Keith---

Edit, I guess the game isn't closing!:rolleyes::rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

This is really disturbing. When I enter Swtor.com and go to subscription. It shows I have none , But when I go to the payment history. I can clearly see : Current Subscription:

One Month Recurring Subscription

And.. the next billing date. I hope they will fix this soon and this is only minor bug. It appears I can't cancel my sub if I would want to.

If they were closing the game, they wouldn't do an interview about the future of the game, a few days before. The site bugs out, it happens. When the game closes, eventually, we'll be told formally.

I know you were half joking, but I can only assume you were also half serious, so I gave you a serious reply!:)

LoL, but I do like the part about him only just being told and internal communication. It’s not a big stretch of the imagination to see EA turn off the subs (to close out the game) before telling Kieth because they have a communications problem. ;)

Also, the last people to learn about stuff are the frontline or departments heads on the ground. Keith could easily do an interview tomorrow about the plans for the future and EA could announce the day after they intend to close the game,

Upper management and execs often spring things like this in large corporations. Do you think they always give advanaced notice before they sack people? Or close departments and reshuffle.

How much would it suck if you were a dev and the first you found out that the game is about to shut is from forums poster telling them EA has turned off the subs because someone didn’t get the memo to wait till they spoke to the Devs.

Yes, I was joking, but also praying. I had a bad feeling about it. I’m glad I was wrong

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Perhaps EA is consolidating resources and cutting costs to weaken the burden with the inevitable closure of this game. On a side note, Disney has turned down the ramp up for some anthology movies that were in the making, ie: Boba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi due to the poor box office results of Solo. Is Disney changing things up? Are they tightening the noose on companies like EA. Is this the end? is it cloudy with a chance of meatballs?

Perhaps EA is consolidating resources and cutting costs to weaken the burden with the inevitable closure of this game. On a side note, Disney has turned down the ramp up for some anthology movies that were in the making, ie: Boba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi due to the poor box office results of Solo. Is Disney changing things up? Are they tightening the noose on companies like EA. Is this the end? is it cloudy with a chance of meatballs?

If they let Abrams write the next movie it will be the end lol

Edited by TrixxieTriss

In addition to your first quote of Keith (who posted at dark-thirty this morning)....

So, as far as we can tell, this is related to an update happening with the commerce site. We didn't realize that maintenance would impact SWTOR and hence the surprise. We're working with the team to figure things out.

This might take a while, but once we resolve it, we'll let you know.

-Keith--

I guess we can stop the "sky is falling" narrative (and I'm sure.... wishful thinking for some of the games haters) that is the premise of this thread.

Edited by Andryah

The game's not closing - the truth is better than that...EA is just not concerned about money. I think it's very likely that the entire 'sub' thing is finally going away and anyone will be able to play at any time for FREE!!! EA is probably doing this because they finally have enough money and they want to give back to their customers. Remember just last year when they removed DLC from BF2? I think this is the next step by them...letting us play SWTOR for FREE!!! EA is trying to change their image...I'm thrilled they did this!!! EA gets my vote for best company EVER!!! :D

Here’s a thought (half joking... but)

Maybe it’s Biowares first steps to closing the game? I wonder if they’ll tell us or just turn off the servers. They might not even know yet and EA have done it and not told them.

Imagine finding out you’re out of a job because forum posters tell you they can’t resubscribe :eek:

Yes, game closing down, WoW,GW2,ESO,Tera,Black Desert is also shutting down today, oh no how sad :mad:

The game's not closing - the truth is better than that...EA is just not concerned about money. I think it's very likely that the entire 'sub' thing is finally going away and anyone will be able to play at any time for FREE!!! EA is probably doing this because they finally have enough money and they want to give back to their customers. Remember just last year when they removed DLC from BF2? I think this is the next step by them...letting us play SWTOR for FREE!!! EA is trying to change their image...I'm thrilled they did this!!! EA gets my vote for best company EVER!!! :D

close. The sub is getting moved to the EA Origin Access Premier. "It’ll cost $15 monthly or $99 annually. EA says it will launch the Premier option “this summer.”

close. The sub is getting moved to the EA Origin Access Premier. "It’ll cost $15 monthly or $99 annually. EA says it will launch the Premier option “this summer.”

There is no indication so far that any of their MMOs will be included in Origin Access Premier. So it is likely limited to single player games with small group online access models. ;) If they do include the MMOs.. then I would expect the relevant MMO forums would see gold posts to talk it up.

Honestly.. Access Premier looks like they are simply copying Microsofts Xbox pass model.... and they do have to actually compete in that space.

TUXs really needs to learn to use { and } to indicate sarcasm so players do not misread his snark as serious.

Edited by Andryah

There is no indication so far that any of their MMOs will be included in Origin Access Premier. So it is likely limited to single player games with small group online access models. ;) If they do include the MMOs.. then I would expect the relevant MMO forums would see gold posts to talk it up.

Honestly.. Access Premier looks like they are simply copying Microsofts Xbox pass model.... and they do have to actually compete in that space.

TUXs really needs to learn to use { and } to indicate sarcasm so players do not misread his snark as serious.

I thought I read that SW: BF2 would be included?

I’m not sure you would classify it as the same sort of MMO as swtor, but I still see it as a sort of MMO. Maybe it’s classified as a shooter?

Anyway, I did see that Anthem and other new titles will be included in it.

Under those conditions, it would seem weird for swtor to not be included if EA are moving their whole library and new titles over to it.

I would actually be worried if swtor was the only one left out of it.

I’m still struggling with the strategy behind this Premire Access because it would seem on the outside that they will make less money by grouping all the games together for one $99 yearly access. My swtor sub is more than that per year.

The only thing I can think of is they want to introduce more people to games they wouldn’t usually pay to play and therefore they expose them to each game’s individual cash shops. Which is where I think EA and possibly the industry are moving their financial model too.

I’d be interested on your take because you also have some incite on how businesses work.

I thought I read that SW: BF2 would be included?

I’m not sure you would classify it as the same sort of MMO as swtor, but I still see it as a sort of MMO. Maybe it’s classified as a shooter?

Anyway, I did see that Anthem and other new titles will be included in it.

Under those conditions, it would seem weird for swtor to not be included if EA are moving their whole library and new titles over to it.

I would actually be worried if swtor was the only one left out of it.

I’m still struggling with the strategy behind this Premire Access because it would seem on the outside that they will make less money by grouping all the games together for one $99 yearly access. My swtor sub is more than that per year.

The only thing I can think of is they want to introduce more people to games they wouldn’t usually pay to play and therefore they expose them to each game’s individual cash shops. Which is where I think EA and possibly the industry are moving their financial model too.

I’d be interested on your take because you also have some incite on how businesses work.

SW:BF2 and Anthem are not MMOs.... they are small group online play. So I can see why they are on the list for the access model. Now the Anthem model is simply leveraging off of already proven and successful models in the game market...... and because they have an online group play mode... that sometimes confuses them with MMOs for some players. Arena style games, which very much cater to PvP.. are not MMOs... and likely they replace MMO PvP play in the long run. It is an evolving game market for sure.

EA did not invent the concept.. they are actually just observing that it works well for other companies and so they are jumping on the bandwagon. I'm actually kind of surprised they did not do so earlier.

This is very much a brand loyalty business model play..... meaning... that by selling an all access buffet style access to companies library of games.. they tend to hold a player to their brand more so then if they only sell a la carte access on a per game basis. In an a la carte model... players chase particular game titles.. and in an all access buffet model they are encouraged to play other games in the companies library and stick around rather then move from one companies offering to another.

For companies like Microsoft, Sony, EA, and to a lessor extent Activison-Blizzard.... who have a fairly extensive library of games with small group online play..... and want to extract revenue from online play.... this all access business model works pretty well... and holds players better then an a la carte model.

Edited by Andryah

LOL! Andryah, I have been friends with Iliac since long before this game was launched. Nobody knows me better than he does. :rolleyes:

Disney has EA working on a new starwars mmo i heard. If thats true then once the new one is ready, that is probably when they will kill this one.

I seriously think in light of Solo's failure they realized they fractured the core fan base. You know the ones waiting in line to by action figures at Toys R Us for the release of Phantom Menace in 1999 need their 'Legends' as they are not into the Disneyfied new lore where there are no more Jedi/Sith.

A new Disney game where you squeeze green sea cow milk or simply have the force if you identify as one doesn't have the same appeal as a KOTOR based one. If it took place during the original trilogy and included content from Rebels then they would have a hit on their hands.

I seriously think in light of Solo's failure they realized they fractured the core fan base...

Curious...I wonder how much of an impact this might have on Star Wars games going forward. I hadn't even thought about this as being impacted, but when you look at the cost of developing a game these days, you'd have to be a fool to not think this might hurt.

When SOE implemented their "all access plan" (whatever it was called) it felt, to me, like a way to pad subscription numbers.

"We have 750k subscribers on the plan...200k that came from swg / 550k from the other games all added up" (as a pure example) can suddenly become "We have 750k subscribers who can play SWG." or even "We have 750k SWG subscribers."

Just like statistics, you can manipulate data to say almost whatever you want.

It's disingenuous, but from a certain point of view, also true.

Hopefully that isn't the goal here.