Problems with SWTOR (Add your opinions)

DarthSealth

Yeah this isn’t something where all our opinions will match and as they’re personal opinions disputes are not needed this is just the time and place to add your two pence and hope it receives attention.

Ideas, opinions, problems and solutions is the best feedback they could receive from the fan base.

I also would like to admit CLASS STORIES was the best content but still better yet I’m waiting for SWTOR 2.0.

I mean patch 2.0 legacy server 🤣😂😂

Edited by DarthSealth

There are literally hundreds of suggested decoration additions to the game, many of which are things that are already in game. I'm disappointed how many of these should be in game, but aren't. Make'em cartel market items if you must... but let us have them.

...at the same time, I feel like there are a bunch of items that require Certificates or Higher-Level constructed prefabs to get, that should be available for credits.

THIS there are so many beautiful things IN GAME that we can't get! WHY? Why can we not have Senate Banners, the sparkly hanging things in the Hutt Palace on Makeb, so many beautiful plants and the crystals we win in FP's can be made in a multitude of colors!

Another thing, there are so many colors yet decos are completely limited. What is this! You can't tell me adding more color options is too difficult!

Oh and I forgot one more thing all FP's should have a solo mode!

Again, for me.... most of my SWTOR complaints tend to point to "it's time for the [sWTOR] ... to end." And, be replaced with a new game, on a new engine, of course. :p

So I guess you think how the current game engine is holding back game and how it cant get workable improvements and how it would be best to scrap and replace it, so something in the line with what FF MMO designers did with their game ?

From Wikipedia : " The team could not fully mend the game in its existing form as its engine and server structure were already critically flawed. This meant that, in order to save XIV, the entire game needed to be rebuilt from the ground up. The decision to launch a new version as a reboot instead of a whole new title was driven by the need to regain player trust, which was felt would not be done by just scrapping XIV. " :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV

Because there are still games much older than SWTOR like WoW which was released in 2004 but for which Blizzard managed to tweak the game engine several times to make it work with the latest versions of directx to get graphical improvements, and to which its still able to add in a decent rate different variations of regular content updates.

Edited by Lunablade

Well... when players in WoW demanded that Blizzard give them Mounts that could take Passengers, I was all "no, you dummies... a mount isn't actually a thing, it's just a fancy condition applied to your character."

...and then Blizzard said "fine, have mounts that can take passengers."

...and I was gobsmacked.

But, that sort of thing is continuous with WoW. Players demand stuff... stuff that I just think would be too difficult to implement for the kind of return it would offer... and WoW goes and implements it anyways. And, despite the age of WoW's engine... it seems like it's an engine that they can rip apart, rebuild, refine, and do whatever crazy thing their players ask for.

Compare and contrast with SWTOR.... I just want to crawl away from the craptastic expansion which was Zakuul... and have my chosen companions show up on my ship. Apparently though... the code for SWTOR's ships is so arcane, esoteric, convoluted, and otherwise difficult to work with... making ANY change to our personal ships would be comparable to playing Russian Roulette with a double barreled shotgun; terrifying and potentially disastrous.

We'd like our companions to follow us, and not lag behind 15 meters... 30 meters.... 40 meters... SLINGSHOT.... 8 meters... 20 meters.... 35 meters.... 50 meters... SLINGSHOT.... ad nauseum. Ideally, our companions wouldn't stare at us intently, even if they have to twist their torsos into bizarre angles to do it.

....let's get real. WoW's "pet mechanic" is better than SWTOR's now, and their pet mechanics from 2004 are still better than SWTOR's 2018 pet mechanics (and here I mean combat companion, pet, whatever). But, fixing the way our companions behave would probably cast our characters into an endless yawning pit of devouring, destroying all we built, and potentially resetting our entire legacies.

The truth is, someone in charge of picking SWTOR's engine really didn't do adequate due diligence.

"Will this work?"

"Uhm... I think it probably would... but..."

"Buy it."

"I think, maybe, we should..."

"Buy it."

"I mean, stress testing, seeing how malleable it is for..."

"BUY IT."

...I think the conversation probably went kinda like that. It wasn't a great choice. People have complained that SWTOR has never really left Beta Testing, and that's a fair complaint. Game breaking bugs aren't as common as they used to be, but everything is chunky, unfinished, and feels kinda sloppy.

Edited by LordFell

Wouldn't it be easier to accept that the Devs can only work with what they have? If people really love this game then we should start with accepting that we can't all get EVERYTHING.

PS. House Teral Banners shouldn't be a problem!

I'm sure we all realise that, but you have to give Bioware 100 ideas for them to be able to pick out a few that they might actually want to do and can make happen.

I didn't like companions as they were, because I'd simply hate 3/5 companions on each class and found them annoying to have loitering around-- I do not view the sort of "arcade" approach to companions an adequate solution to this.

I've been annoyed since launch about the lack of deviation between warrior/inq, knight/cons ships. That mode of transport was made your main hangout in the last game between planets, and a deviation in story should have come with a deviation in ship/setting.

Group-only main story content. I won't play it-- I have never played it, I will never play it, in any game. For all the criticisms of SoR, I found the welfare droid and optional solo Revan fight to be an adequate compromise to keep myself and others like me playing. The only content I like to do in a group is compeditive content (UWZ, GSF), and even so, I like only random groups.

Paywalls. Too many cash shop decos, not enough in-game decos, too many cash shop outfits.. graphically outdated ingame outfits. I never play without subscribing, because I never buy cash shop currency and I view this as an adequate tradeoff-- but at the pace of development presently, it is detrimental to the health of the player population to gate anything other than convenience features.

I've returned after about 6 months to assess the status of everything, so this information is at least 6 months old.

P.S. To add anything from the "new" star wars movies as a means to attract the exact wrong kind of people to this setting devalues and eliminates the old republic narrative that this game was designed to bring forward, thus rendering the entire game a gimmick.

Edited by SixVoltCar

My personal problems with SWTOR:

1. wrong romance options for female JC/JK : i'd rather romance Lord Scourge than Doc and Zenith than Felix Iresso.

2. lack of interesting new companions : for example, i'd rather recruit Tai Cordan/ Lord Krovos/ Admiral Ranken than all the Star Fortress creatures

3. wrong dialogues - Shae mistakes Darvannis for Denova

4. boring story - Theron S. and the flashpoints

4. toxic general chat

My personal problems with SWTOR:

1. wrong romance options for female JC/JK : i'd rather romance Lord Scourge than Doc and Zenith than Felix Iresso.

2. lack of interesting new companions : for example, i'd rather recruit Tai Cordan/ Lord Krovos/ Admiral Ranken than all the Star Fortress creatures

3. wrong dialogues - Shae mistakes Darvannis for Denova

4. boring story - Theron S. and the flashpoints

4. toxic general chat

So, I don't think "wrong" is the right word. I think it would be far better if people could have romanced both Doc/Scourge, and Zenith/Felix. I don't personally like Felix and would have preferred Zenith, but my preferences don't set the bar for everyone. I actually like Doc, Scourge creeps me out, but again, my preference isn't the only one. So I agree that Scourge and Zenith should have been options, but saying instead of, rather than as well as, just creates the same issue with different players. I know the male agent has more than one romance option, are there any dual options for female players in the vanilla class stories? I don't think there are but I haven't played all of them yet.

Ha! I've never noticed Shae doing that and I just played the chapter. I believe you, now I just want to go back and find it. That's just sloppy.

Ugh, the tidbits of story through fps, I'm with you on that. I also strongly dislike the Theron traitor story line, especially as it's being executed. If they're going for intrigue and mystery, tiny two minute snippets of conversation aren't the way to do it.

There's a lot of toxicity in the community in general. Just look at all the fighting in the forums, but yeah gen chat is crazy these days. I usually ignore it but every once in a while I notice something and think how terribly it represents the player base and game in general.

Edited by DuchessKristania

P.S. To add anything from the "new" star wars movies as a means to attract the exact wrong kind of people to this setting devalues and eliminates the old republic narrative that this game was designed to bring forward, thus rendering the entire game a gimmick.

Yeah, I agree, that would be stupid as all hell.

I'm trying my damnedest to forget that total horsecrap of a movie, I don't want reminders heh

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

So, I don't think "wrong" is the right word. I think it would be far better if people could have romanced both Doc/Scourge, and Zenith/Felix. I don't personally like Felix and would have preferred Zenith, but my preferences don't set the bar for everyone. I actually like Doc, Scourge creeps me out, but again, my preference isn't the only one. So I agree that Scourge and Zenith should have been options, but saying instead of, rather than as well as, just creates the same issue with different players. I know the male agent has more than one romance option, are there any dual options for female players in the vanilla class stories? I don't think there are but I haven't played all of them yet.

Ha! I've never noticed Shae doing that and I just played the chapter. I believe you, now I just want to go back and find it. That's just sloppy.

Ugh, the tidbits of story through fps, I'm with you on that. I also strongly dislike the Theron traitor story line, especially as it's being executed. If they're going for intrigue and mystery, tiny two minute snippets of conversation aren't the way to do it.

There's a lot of toxicity in the community in general. Just look at all the fighting in the forums, but yeah gen chat is crazy these days. I usually ignore it but every once in a while I notice something and think how terribly it represents the player base and game in general.

Don't get me wrong, i don't have anything against Doc and Felix, but they just don't work for me, i find them a bit too vanilla. Yes, you are right, Doc/Scourge & Felix/ Zenith should have been both romance options for their classes, since IA ,sith warrior & smuggler get more than one romance option ( Kalyio/Raina, Vette/Jaesa, Risha/Akaavi) .

About TS traitor story line: it displeases me cause it doesn't make sense at all, at least not for JC/JK/smuggler/trooper . All my Rep characters are LS and they stopped Kalyio from killing civilians, saved the refugees with Jorgan, redeemed Senya and Arcann. So why does Theron think my Reps don't value peace? Or maybe he needed an excuse to bail out and have fun with Syndic Zenta and other women ( or men) ?

The toxic chat : in game it bothers me a lot because i am trying to sell,buy,trade something and thats impossible because of people discussing politics or insulting each others. On forum i prefer to stay out of fighting, since i don't PvP i never post anything in the PvP section, there's where the over-passionated people usually gather.

Don't get me wrong, i don't have anything against Doc and Felix, but they just don't work for me, i find them a bit too vanilla. Yes, you are right, Doc/Scourge & Felix/ Zenith should have been both romance options for their classes, since IA ,sith warrior & smuggler get more than one romance option ( Kalyio/Raina, Vette/Jaesa, Risha/Akaavi) .

About TS traitor story line: it displeases me cause it doesn't make sense at all, at least not for JC/JK/smuggler/trooper . All my Rep characters are LS and they stopped Kalyio from killing civilians, saved the refugees with Jorgan, redeemed Senya and Arcann. So why does Theron think my Reps don't value peace? Or maybe he needed an excuse to bail out and have fun with Syndic Zenta and other women ( or men) ?

The toxic chat : in game it bothers me a lot because i am trying to sell,buy,trade something and thats impossible because of people discussing politics or insulting each others. On forum i prefer to stay out of fighting, since i don't PvP i never post anything in the PvP section, there's where the over-passionated people usually gather.

Oh indeed I was trying to use my Female JK to romance Scourge it didn’t work out he comes across the most interesting in my book.

Also the chat should have been modified so we all have separate channels tabs that you can single out what you want to see e.g. Gen chat, PVP, Guild recruitment, Trade, Group/Ops, Guild chat and Whisper. So when gen chat goes a tad crazy then starts going super fast and trying to scroll up to find it Gawd is a nuisance.

Edited by DarthSealth

Problems.

Bugs all over the pace, and no mari, I hadnes to gun them down.

Another problem I see is also bug related, sometimes the mobs( usually one in a group) seems to disappear, he can not be targeted or seen ( not stealthed) and is only a red dot on the minimap that ONLY the companion can see or fight, however this unseen foe can attack the PC and the PC can not fight back in any way, unless being lucky enough to maybe have a rapid and effective AOE.

Then you have the missions that can never be abandoned that are NOT part of the main story

Non working or falsely advertised commands like the /stuck

But my biggest issue is actually with players in raid and pvp, being too elitist and not allowing for new people to learn.

I was on one such operation, my very first. I did not know my rotation very well as this is more or less irellevant outside raids and pvp, I had never done the operation and thus did not know the bosses, the mobs and whatnot.

I never got the time to learn. I died on a non boss, several time....but trying.......

I came to the boss, with no microphone, and thus having to type any questions or responds, at the cost of moving anf fighting.

I was blamed for the whipe despite having the highest of all DPS output, WHEN I actually learned how.

The same is for PVP, some mronic individuals for some reason think this: Ranked is boring, this means I now OWN he unranked, and it is MY right to demand a ranked level of experience in the very PVP area that was never intended for this.

More player= less elitism on raids and pvp............

Otherwise the game is fr from perfect, but as to issue these are the overall major ones that lessens the joy of playing