Removing Free To Play?

Superman_AZ

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am trying to figure out how a video game can't be a hobby as well....

I think it certainly can be a hobby...I can also see how it can be an addiction. I think it's a blurred line at times based on other peoples perceptions.

I have a friend who's a master craftsman with wood, not as a profession, he has a real 8-5 job...is that a hobby of his, or an addiction? He's enough of a perfectionist that I could argue he's addicted to it, and he drops thousands of $'s on new equipment that allows him to do more with his craft...but, is that an addiction or is it just enjoyable to him? If it's for enjoyment, isn't that kinda the same thing as a hobby? Hobbies are meant to be enjoyable aren't they? But he'll also spend entire weekends in his shop, take vacation time to finish a project, neglect his entire family when he's working on something...so is it an addiction? Or is it still just a hobby?

I think it's an interesting discussion...one I haven't really given much thought to before.

There has been a lot that has been brought up so I'm just going to bullet point a few things.

PennyAnn, if a person has to pay more in the CM to get less than someone paying only a subscription then yes, it is negative feedback.

But see, they don't have to pay more, they could pay a sub and get everything plus cool subscriber rewards. If they don't want to do that, they would still get more than they are now for spending money on cartel coins (which is nothing, no credit for supporting the game that way at all).

how vested are players who are getting everything for free and still complaining about it, and demanding more?

Last summer the PvP bolster cultists successfully got bolster raised. They never hid their intent to exempt themselves from the Command System gear grind, and therefore subscription. Now, the only PvP motive to subscribe is Ranked, which is currently a degenerate mat-farm.

I quit drinking in 2007, stopped doing recreational weed in 2004, gave up smoking in 2015. I have no wife, no kids, house is paid for, truck is paid for, and own my own business. I don't fish, hunt, or collect, so SWTOR is really the ONLY hobby I have outside of woodworking and my dogs. I figure, "This is my bar tab."

Wow! That's awesome. So many great accomplishments. Enjoy the market, you deserve to. :)

PS: I also see SW:TOR as a hobby. One of many...I also read, paint and enjoy spoiling my dog. Some might even think my job is a hobby. I love to write. :)

Edited by Lunafox

But see, they don't have to pay more, they could pay a sub and get everything plus cool subscriber rewards. If they don't want to do that, they would still get more than they are now for spending money on cartel coins (which is nothing, no credit for supporting the game that way at all).

See, therein lies the problem. You, and many others on this forum, do not see purchasing CCs as supporting this game. Person A pays their $15 monthly subscription fee and nothing else. Person B buys $100 of CCs each month but no subscription. To you only Person A is supporting the game. Person B, oh sure, you'll give some bare acknowledgement, but only so long as it's less than Person A gets. Oh, but I see the counter argument already, Person B can stop buying those coins at any time...... As if Person A couldn't cancel their subscription at any time. To you Person B is a schmuck for not carrying a subscription and not really supporting the game. This is why your suggesting is punitive. This is why it is negative feedback. And how do I come to this conclusion? By reading your posts. It is quite evident that to you anyone who doesn't carry a subscription isn't supporting the game.

See, therein lies the problem. You, and many others on this forum, do not see purchasing CCs as supporting this game. Person A pays their $15 monthly subscription fee and nothing else. Person B buys $100 of CCs each month but no subscription. To you only Person A is supporting the game. Person B, oh sure, you'll give some bare acknowledgement, but only so long as it's less than Person A gets. Oh, but I see the counter argument already, Person B can stop buying those coins at any time...... As if Person A couldn't cancel their subscription at any time. To you Person B is a schmuck for not carrying a subscription and not really supporting the game. This is why your suggesting is punitive. This is why it is negative feedback. And how do I come to this conclusion? By reading your posts. It is quite evident that to you anyone who doesn't carry a subscription isn't supporting the game.

And you have data that show EA takes money spent on CM only items, and uses it to invest in the base game and / or bases decisions on how much to invest in actual playable content on CM sales?

I mean I don't have data either way, but my assumption is that the budgets for content are based mostly on projected sub revenue, with CM sales used to bolster earning by leveraging the game and IP.

In other words, I don't think someone who doesn't sub but spends some cash in the CM from time to time is supporting the base game, they are simply helping EA milk the SW IP license.

And you have data that show EA takes money spent on CM only items, and uses it to invest in the base game and / or bases decisions on how much to invest in actual playable content on CM sales?

I mean I don't have data either way, but my assumption is that the budgets for content are based mostly on projected sub revenue, with CM sales used to bolster earning by leveraging the game and IP.

In other words, I don't think someone who doesn't sub but spends some cash in the CM from time to time is supporting the base game, they are simply helping EA milk the SW IP license.

Your question and supposition is laughably absurd. You are asking me to prove a negative.

Edited by ceryxp

Playing a video game in not a hobby, it never was, and never will be. Stop fooling yourself. It is nice that you gave up all your addictions, but in reality all you did was switch addictions. We all have. Lets call a spade a spade here mate. After all, I thought we all could be honest here, if only here?

Oh lol.

This is actually a good troll. Not outright scummy, at least not resorting to namecalling, and it got reactions, including my own.

I'm even going to post this and admit you had me. Well done. Good troll.

Actually quite the opposite. I DO see it as supporting the game, and that's why I suggest they should get some of the F2P/Preferred restrictions removed for doing so. Did you really read what I posted? I'm suggesting they get much more access to the features of this game, which they do not currently. How is that me feeling like they are a schmuck? I think you are completely misrepresenting me here, honestly. I think they should get something for buying cartel coins, and suggested some things that would be nice for them. Right now they receive nada, and that shouldn't be the case.