All the Regulars here must be scared of Anthem's now-critical failure

JepFareborn

And what it could mean for SWTOR's (bleak?) future.

Er, um, ..., um, no. Not at all. Have you been paying attention to the various threads about this issue, where people talk about the separation between the "cost centers" (budgets) surrounding the two games? I guess not.

And right now I have more important things to be drunk about, anyway. I sank a half-sized bottle of wine *and* a kir royal ("cassis") at lunch(1), and I'm feeling ***gooooooooood*** because I ***ACED*** my interview for French naturalisation this morning.

(1) Along with Os à moelle (et ses toasts) to start and a cœur d'Aloyau and fries. I am happy.

Ars Technica was pretty scathing the other day... but it doesn't get full release until 22nd IIRC.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/anthem-game-review-honestly-its-not-finished/

Polygon and some others have only scored it 6 or 7 out of 10 complaining at long and frequent load screen times, clunky gearing up, repetitive missions, slow traversing the hub city and lavish but long voice interactions, and over long final boss encounter.

I think Steve is right, ( above) they are sister products. Whether this will mean anything for SWTOR is anyone's guess. - But BioWare must be nervously hoping for a lot more positive reviews.

I'm not scared, coz I think that if you masterminded the downturn in one game and the poor reception of a second.... You'd be polishing one's resume instead of asking for one's old job back.

Because of the crazy stageered release, maybe by b Monday we'll know for sure whether Anthem is an eagle or a turkey.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Er, um, ..., um, no. Not at all. Have you been paying attention to the various threads about this issue, where people talk about the separation between the "cost centers" (budgets) surrounding the two games? I guess not.

And right now I have more important things to be drunk about, anyway. I sank a half-sized bottle of wine *and* a kir royal ("cassis") at lunch(1), and I'm feeling ***gooooooooood*** because I ***ACED*** my interview for French naturalisation this morning.

(1) Along with Os à moelle (et ses toasts) to start and a cœur d'Aloyau and fries. I am happy.

Grats on your RL quest being completed!

Regarding your response to the OP, I am surprised that we keep having this topic come up about Anthem's success/failure having a huge impact on SWTOR etc., when we have had some really knowledgeable/insightful posts written on this topic showing how there really is no correlation of the two.

I wish everyone had nothing better to do like me than sift through SWTOR forum threads through out the day! :p

Congrats on the interview!

And what it could mean for SWTOR's (bleak?) future. Just remember: Ben Irving was a critical or integral part of Anthem's development - let that sink in. And if he were 'taken back' by the current tiny crew managing and developing SWTOR.....?

The only thing I'm scared of is the sky falling on us.

What failure? Doesn't the game just come out today or so? :confused:

Apart from that, as a regular since beta, I would be not unhappy if Swtor finally shuts down. I wasted enough of my life-time on this game. Not saying that I didn't enjoy it. But for my overall development in the approx. 2nd half of my life (fingers crossed that I still have that much; who knows when the sky keeps falling down), it would be better if this game would cease to exist.

Or is the worry of the OP that Ben comes back? If so, I think this would be a huge improvement compared to Mr. Kanneg, the 16m NiM raiding king.

A direct competitor of Anthem enters Open Beta tomorrow.

You can start preloading now.

tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-updates/344815/welcome-to-the-division-2-open-beta

Welcome to The Division 2 Open Beta! If you did not get the chance to participate in our Private Beta phase, now is your chance! Available from March 1 – 4 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, we want to welcome you as you take your first steps into Washington, D.C. The beta introduces you to some of the unique features The Division 2 has to offer—main missions, side missions, open world activities, and one of the three Dark Zones—to name a few.
Edited by Falensawino