NVIDIA’s MFAA and SWTOR: Question

Jediboo

Hello fellow players and maybe developers! So my questions are as follows;

1. Does SWTOR support MFAA?

2. If yes, does MFAA conflict with in-game AA setting and/or NVIDIA’s AA/FXAA settings?

3. If yes, have any players who’ve used seen increase or decrease of game play performance?

4. If yes, would you recommend using it, and if it’s compatiable with in-game / NVIDIA AA settings, what combination of settings seemed optimal for you in regards to both performance and graphic quality?

Thank you ahead of time to anyone who can shed light on my questions! I will try to respond to quickly to your comments. Otherwise....

May the force be with you. Always.

nVidia's list of games which support MFAA does not include SWTOR.

Another way to tell is that SWTOR is a Dx9 game, and MFAA is DX 10/11 and higher as mentioned midway down this page where it says:

With the latest NVIDIA Game Ready WHQL Display Driver 347.25 we have extended the list of supported games to almost all DX10 and DX11 games.
Edited by xordevoreaux

nVidia's list of games which support MFAA does not include SWTOR.

Another way to tell is that SWTOR is a Dx9 game, and MFAA is DX 10/11 and higher as mentioned midway down this page where it says:

I'd just add that driver 347.whatever is really old - I'm on 398.something, and it lets me configure MFAA as an override for SWTOR. I haven't actually tried it, but it can be configured.

I'd just add that driver 347.whatever is really old - I'm on 398.something, and it lets me configure MFAA as an override for SWTOR. I haven't actually tried it, but it can be configured.

I have 417.71, and I have MFAA set globally, and even turned it on for SWTOR using nVidia Inspector, but it still does no consequential improvement or degradation for SWTOR in terms of affecting aliasing.

Since SWTOR is a Dx9 game, it can actually have good AA. If you card can handle it, MFAA won't even come close.

Get Nvidia Inspector and try these settings for SWTOR:

4x SGSSAA

Antialiasing Compatibility: 0x000012C1

Antialiasing Mode: Override any application setting.

Antialiasing Setting: 4x (4x Multisampling)

Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

4x OGSSAA

Antialiasing Compatibility: 0x00000000

Antialiasing Mode: Override any application setting.

Antialiasing Setting: 4x4 (4x4 Supersampling)

Both basically render the whole frame in a higher (increased by 4x4) resolution and do the antialiasing either during (SGSS) or before (OGSS) downscaling to your actual resolution. You'll need a card with at least 4GB Ram.

Edited by Mubrak

Since SWTOR is a Dx9 game, it can actually have good AA. If you card can handle it, MFAA won't even come close.

Get Nvidia Inspector and try these settings for SWTOR:

4x SGSSAA

AntiAliasing Compatibility: 0x000012C1

AntiAliasing Mode: Override any application setting.

Antialiasing Setting: 4x (4x Multisampling)

Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

4x OGSSAA

AntiAliasing Compatibility: 0x00000000

AntiAliasing Mode: Override any application setting.

Antialiasing Setting: 4x4 (4x4 Supersampling)

Both basically render the whole frame in a higher (by 4x4) resolution and do the antialiasing either during (SGSS) or after (OGSS) downscaling to your actual resolution.

That is precisely how I set up my .nip file. I also have in-game OA (enhanced shadows) off and have Inspector's AO set to high quality/enabled. AF is 16x and TF on high quality, and GSync on.

Edit: Actually not quite how I have it set up. I have mine set to Enhance, not override. Override creates edge burn with Bloom on and I like the in-game bloom.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• 3 months later...
That is precisely how I set up my .nip file. I also have in-game OA (enhanced shadows) off and have Inspector's AO set to high quality/enabled. AF is 16x and TF on high quality, and GSync on.

Edit: Actually not quite how I have it set up. I have mine set to Enhance, not override. Override creates edge burn with Bloom on and I like the in-game bloom.

Are u using his first option or his second option? Also what is your Ingame AA if you use enhance instead of override? I hate the Edge Burn but the Ingame AA is just not good enough. I tried his second option now with enhance instead of override but if I have ingame aa on very high I got 24fps even tho I am on a RTX2080..

Are u using his first option or his second option? Also what is your Ingame AA if you use enhance instead of override? I hate the Edge Burn but the Ingame AA is just not good enough. I tried his second option now with enhance instead of override but if I have ingame aa on very high I got 24fps even tho I am on a RTX2080..

Do you use the swtor FPS meter? If so, what colour is it when you have 24fps?

It’s possible it could be your cpu as swtor is extremely cpu dependent

Do you use the swtor FPS meter? If so, what colour is it when you have 24fps?

It’s possible it could be your cpu as swtor is extremely cpu dependent

Didnt even know SWTOR has an FPS Meter, I am using msi afterburner usually and my CPU is a Ryzen 2600 on 4Ghz.

Only happens under these Settings tho, 8x Multisampling works fine but it looks far worse sadly, especially Grass is aliasing and shimmering like crazy.

Here is a Screenshot but you cant see it that good there sadly, its waaaay worse in motion though..

https://puu.sh/Dwre1/2f08c22a3d.png

Edited by UltrachocoboI
Screenshot

Didnt even know SWTOR has an FPS Meter, I am using msi afterburner usually and my CPU is a Ryzen 2600 on 4Ghz.

Only happens under these Settings tho, 8x Multisampling works fine but it looks worse ;(

When you go into swtor, it’s ctrl+shift+F and the FPS meter will come up on the bottom left of the screen

With your cpu, are you running it at 100% in Windows or is it throttling dependant on usage?

So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

Green = Simulation bound/CPU

Yellow = Mix of both

Edited by TrixxieTriss

When you go into swtor, it’s ctrl+shift+F and the FPS meter will come up on the bottom left of the screen

With your cpu, are you running it at 100% in Windows or is it throttling dependant on usage?

So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

Green = Simulation bound/CPU

Yellow = Mix of both

Gotcha, its indeed green so cpu bound, what a bummer that a 4Ghz Processor aint cuttin it. Any other tweaks I can do to get a better AA especially while moving? ReShade sadly ruin fonts so that aint the way to go either. I edited my last post with a screenshot with 8x MSAA forced in nvidia control panel but that only does so much.

Gotcha, its indeed green so cpu bound, what a bummer that a 4Ghz Processor aint cuttin it. Any other tweaks I can do to get a better AA especially while moving? ReShade sadly ruin fonts so that aint the way to go either. I edited my last post with a screenshot with 8x MSAA forced in nvidia control panel but that only does so much.

You could try bumping up your CPU speed with an OC. But you will need a good cooler. I use a AIO deep cool captain WC in my wife’s PC. Swtor loves higher than 4ghz speed.

Her i7 4790k is running @4.7ghz on a RX 580. I have most of the settings similar through the AMD external software. I do cap FPS at 100 and the only times it goes below it is in PVP or areas that have not been properly optimised.

My setup is a i7 5770k on a Custom WC @5ghz. I’ve a gtx1080 with the same settings and it usually runs at 170-200fps. I would limit the FPS, but it doesn’t have it in the nvidia software anymore and the third party one you can use affects mouse performance ever so slightly.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You could try bumping up your CPU speed with an OC. But you will need a good cooler. I use a AIO deep cool captain WC in my wife’s PC. Swtor loves higher than 4ghz speed.

Her i7 4790k is running @4.7ghz on a RX 580. I have most of the settings similar through the AMD external software. I do cap FPS at 100 and the only times it goes below it is in PVP or areas that have not been properly optimised.

My setup is a i7 5770k on a Custom WC @5ghz. I’ve a gtx1080 with the same settings and it usually runs at 170-200fps. I would limit the FPS, but it doesn’t have it in the nvidia software anymore and the third party one you can use affects mouse performance ever so slightly.

Since 4.0Ghz is already overclocked and the Ryzen 5 2600 arent that great I guess I am out of luck. Maybe Zen2 with its 15% IPC increase will do a better job at it. What are your Nvidia Control Panel/Inspector Settings? My FPS are capped via Rivatuner and I run 120 fps basicly all the time unless I am in a WZ.

Since 4.0Ghz is already overclocked and the Ryzen 5 2600 arent that great I guess I am out of luck. Maybe Zen2 with its 15% IPC increase will do a better job at it. What are your Nvidia Control Panel/Inspector Settings? My FPS are capped via Rivatuner and I run 120 fps basicly all the time unless I am in a WZ.

I’m not in front of my PCs at moment. I’d need to check. But I do use enhanced and not override. I also don’t use the in game shadows because they do affect performance in pvp. They just aren’t optimised enough, even with my setup.

I’m not in front of my PCs at moment. I’d need to check. But I do use enhanced and not override. I also don’t use the in game shadows because they do affect performance in pvp. They just aren’t optimised enough, even with my setup.

Since I dont really enjoy pvp anyway I rather use shadows, havent had a problem in fps or open world yet.

Seeing your Nvidia Inspector Setting would be great tho. SSGAA seems to artifact with shadows ingame so its not working out for me probably and 8xMSAA still seems like not enough.

Edit: Its also a shame that the game has no proper depth buffer, disabling shadows and forcing MXAO via ReShade would be so lovely but its not working out without a proper depthbuffer.

Edited by UltrachocoboI

Since I dont really enjoy pvp anyway I rather use shadows, havent had a problem in fps or open world yet.

Seeing your Nvidia Inspector Setting would be great tho. SSGAA seems to artifact with shadows ingame so its not working out for me probably and 8xMSAA still seems like not enough.

Edit: Its also a shame that the game has no proper depth buffer, disabling shadows and forcing MXAO via ReShade would be so lovely but its not working out without a proper depthbuffer.

It’s a really old game now and only had small graphics improvements over the years. It’s still on dx9. So it’s limited on what it can do.

The game has always been more CPU centric and less reliant on GPU. It’s only in recent years that GPUs started to get used more.

Honestly, even my gtx1080 is overkill for this game.

I don’t just not use shadows because of pvp. I’ve always found that the movement isn’t as smooth as without and in some pve settings that aren’t optimised properly, they can hit performance too. Especially if there is a lot going on or there are too many people in an instance. Ie try running around the fleet when the instance is full of people RPing at the cantina ;)

Only happens under these Settings tho, 8x Multisampling works fine but it looks far worse sadly, especially Grass is aliasing and shimmering like crazy.

Here is a Screenshot but you cant see it that good there sadly, its waaaay worse in motion though..

https://puu.sh/Dwre1/2f08c22a3d.png

Swtor like high frequency memory with tight timings too and you have a ryzen cpu, that why.

I have a i7-5960X O/C @ 4.5Ghz (4400Mhz cache), 3200Mhz memory @ CL14 T1 and a 1080 Ti gpu.

For comparaison :

QoHfV2D.jpg

First option.

Swtor like high frequency memory with tight timings too and you have a ryzen cpu, that why.

I have a i7-5960X O/C @ 4.5Ghz (4400Mhz cache), 3200Mhz memory @ CL14 T1 and a 1080 Ti gpu.

For comparaison :

QoHfV2D.jpg

First option.

I don't mind the in-game bloom, so I have that turned on, but I use Enhance instead of Override on nvidia inspector because I don't like the edge burn you get top and left (that white haze in your screenshot). 1050 GTX Ti, 32GB Ram, 3700k Processor. Old hardware but decent framerate (50).

I also don't use in-game ambient occlusion (enhanced shadows) and instead force it via the driver in Inspector.

https://i.imgur.com/xlCb7Bj.png

Edited by xordevoreaux

I just gotta ask - why are you so interested in AA? Unless you are interested in having lovely looking screen shots, AA isn't going to make your gameplay any better and you won't really notice it during action. (In fact, it's obvious here that trying to get better AA is just trashing your fps.)

That's provided you are playing at a decent graphics resolution like 1920x1080 and have the basic in-game AA turned on. If you are playing at a lower rez then say, 1600x900, you need to get a better monitor before worrying about AA. :)

I just gotta ask - why are you so interested in AA? Unless you are interested in having lovely looking screen shots, AA isn't going to make your gameplay any better and you won't really notice it during action. (In fact, it's obvious here that trying to get better AA is just trashing your fps.)

That's provided you are playing at a decent graphics resolution like 1920x1080 and have the basic in-game AA turned on. If you are playing at a lower rez then say, 1600x900, you need to get a better monitor before worrying about AA. :)

Having pink hair versus blue hair isn't going to make my game play any better, either, but maybe it's a preference.

Textures and colours are more representative to what they should be. That is important to some people.

I actually plat at 1440p so 2560x1440 already but the jaggies are driving me crazy, most of my friends dont care about that either but I notice it extremely and cant stand the flickering, let it be the grass or the stairs in the far back. Of course I dont get better with better graphics, but that applies to all games, doesnt change the fact that I prefer to have my game looking as good as possible and the ingame aa is horrible.

For comparaison :

QoHfV2D.jpg

First option.

Got 3200 Memory overclocked to 3333Mhz with cl14 t1 so it for sure aint the timings.

Got 3200 Memory overclocked to 3333Mhz with cl14 t1 so it for sure aint the timings.

The only thing I can think of is your CPU is the limiting factor here. What colour does the in game FPS colour go when your getting 24FPS?

Maybe list everything in your PC, including MB model and we can investigate a bit further.

Edited by TrixxieTriss