West Coast Servers?

CJUK

I just recently came back after 2 years hiatus to see what the fuzz is all about imp vs rep story line cause KOTET story was bad sauce and pre boring imo.

I also just found out that BW has moved the server to east coast why tf BW?

i am playing from Australia and let me tell you my ping is absolutely disgusting 350+ ping spikes

PvP is a no go, all my skills/animation are all delayed, and the DESYNC, its absolutely F@$%#K$N BS..

Pls for the love of god, give us a WC server.

Edited by CJUK

Yes it's gross. I've been suffering it for a little over a year now playing from New Zealand. PVP = nightmare. Forget your master mode and nightmare mode difficulty. Playing from the other side of the Pacific Ocean is the real hard mode.

Here's my overall experience, the story was alright but it was really short, 1-2hrs? max.

PvP was dreadful all of my skills were delayed and i keep getting rubber band, i play a melee class and oh boy! What an absolutely S#@T show. People were teleporting all over the place and half of the time my skills wouldn't even go of.

So after playing pvp for about 2hrs i say. I said to myself nah im not having this so i immediately cancelled my subscription like no way im paying BW // EA for this utter garbo services.

I feel sorry for all the Kiwi's and Aussies out there who have to put up with this crap.

Edited by CJUK

Here's my overall experience, the story was alright but it was really short, 1-2hrs? max.

PvP was dreadful all of my skills were delayed and i keep getting rubber band, i play a melee class and oh boy! What an absolutely S#@T show. People were teleporting all over the place and half of the time my skills wouldn't even go of.

So after playing pvp for about 2hrs i say. I said to myself nah im not having this so i immediately cancelled my subscription like no way im paying BW // EA for this utter garbo services.

I feel sorry for all the Kiwi's and Aussies out there who have to put up with this crap.

Worst part is our fellow players don't even care. Mention connectivity problems and they just say "oh well mine is ok so you must be the problem."

Worst part is our fellow players don't even care.

I don't speak for everyone, but I would say that your fellow players DO care, but recognize that absolutely nothing will change, whether we care or not.

When the servers were merged, they did away with a West Coast server without even telling anyone until after the fact. No amount of player uproar made a difference. They didn't even RESPOND to the multitude of threads asking why, asking if they would consider reopening a West Coast server, or what they expected APAC players to do now that the game was rendered nearly impossible to play.

In their latest podcast interview with the Badfeeling guys, they all but said there will be no more server merges or changes to the server structure. This is it.

It sucks, and it was completely underhanded and wrong of them to do to the player base... but it's done.

Edited by PennyAnn

I just recently came back after 2 years hiatus to see what the fuzz is all about imp vs rep story line cause KOTET story was bad sauce and pre boring imo.

i am playing from Australia and let me tell you my ping is absolutely disgusting 350+ ping spikes

PvP is a no go, all my skills/animation are all delayed, and the DESYNC, its absolutely F@$%#K$N BS..

I’m also in Australia. I use a program called WTFast to lower my ping down to 230ms.

• 1 month later...

Here you go. All you need to read right here:

Hi all,

Today’s maintenance was part of the United Forces effort!

We have completed the upgrade of the Game Servers along with all their supporting infrastructure in the Data Centers. We made a large investment of new hardware and software and one of our primary goals was to substantially reduce our footprint while improving our overall server capacity. During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

You’ll see the same Servers today that you saw yesterday. They’re just running on new hardware and, some, in different locations. As announced previously the move to the five (5) new Servers will be on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. At that time all Game Servers and the SWTOR website will be down for up to 12 hours. We’ll let you know the actual start time a few days before.

Report any specific issues you encounter to Customer Service as we’ve established an escalation process for critical issues. Please be a bit patient with us over the coming weeks as we unite players from a variety of servers and try to make this a smooth and painless process for everyone.

Cheers!

-Keith—

Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Here’s some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?

We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?

Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?

Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isn’t something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldn’t we just have one server?

Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know what’s going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I know it sucks, but nothing will ever be done about it. Either adapt or find another game. I live with double the ping that you have, but nothing short of moving can fix that (which is not an option), so I just don't bother with PvP or group content. There are many other things to do. I just get annoyed when they forget that many of us don't have good ping and start making us have to use split second interrupts in story content. Some story content is pretty stressful, if not impossible for many of us. I know they don't have the funds more centers, but I do wish they would keep the rest of us in mind when they design content. I must add though.. Kudos devs for Ossus so far.. finally something not too difficult even though it is buggy.

When the servers were merged, they did away with a West Coast server without even telling anyone until after the fact.

Fussy: they upgraded the server hardware and moved the servers, then told us they had done the W=>E move, then a few weeks later they did the merge.

The weird part was that they presented the move as "and we discovered we could move the servers into a single data centre at the same time", as if it was a good thing, which it clearly wasn't.

The weird part was that they presented the move as "and we discovered we could move the servers into a single data centre at the same time", as if it was a good thing, which it clearly wasn't.

It was probably a good thing for them - to reduce operating costs.

As I've said before, It's likely that the cost of maintaining a West Coast server was more than the revenue received from APAC players.

It was probably a good thing for them - to reduce operating costs.

As I've said before, It's likely that the cost of maintaining a West Coast server was more than the revenue received from APAC players.

And if they decide they make more money by closing down the entire game you gonna defend that aswell?

And if they decide they make more money by closing down the entire game you gonna defend that aswell?

That's kind of a dumb thing to say. But, yes, if they found that they were losing money and decided to close down the game .... oh well.... there are other games.