Use Tier 4 (248's) to to get your Tier 5 gear (258's)!

Zidovain

Tier 5 gearing is a total pain. Games should be fun and NOT be a chore. It's too much work that it just robs the fun out of it.. And let's face it, a lot of players have already left or moved on to other games simply because of this reason. We want them back and we don't want more people leaving.

I suggest to ADD another process to obtain the Tier 5 gear. The original process of getting Tier 5's will remain, but having another way of getting them will definitely help SWtoR player base on their gear progression. It's better to have options.

Here's what I suggest:

1) Add a Tier 5 vendor on the fleet similar to the existing Tier 1-4 vendors already in place.

2) Exchange the 248 shells and gear pieces for the corresponding 258 item. Now, the tricky part is pricing. I understand BW didn't want to make it easy. So the requirements for the exchange will be steep. For EXAMPLE:

258 Main Hand requires -- 248 shell + 7000 UC + 5 Masterwork Data Crystals + Legendary Ossus reputation +

10M Credits.

Again this is just an example. BW can decide a price reflecting their desired level of difficulty on how Tier 5 gear should be obtained.

Constructive feedback would be nice.

Edited by Zidovain

Tier 5 gearing is a total pain. Games should be fun and NOT be a chore. It's too much work that it just robs the fun out of it.. And let's face it, a lot of players have already left or moved on to other games simply because of this reason. We want them back and we don't want more people leaving.

I suggest to ADD another process to obtain the Tier 5 gear. The original process of getting Tier 5's will remain, but having another way of getting them will definitely help SWtoR player base on their gear progression. It's better to have options.

Here's what I suggest:

1) Add a Tier 5 vendor on the fleet similar to the existing Tier 1-4 vendors already in place.

2) Exchange the 248 shells and gear pieces for the corresponding 258 item. Now, the tricky part is pricing. I understand BW didn't want to make it easy. So the requirements for the exchange will be steep. For EXAMPLE:

258 Main Hand requires -- 248 shell + 7000 UC + 5 Masterwork Data Crystals + Legendary Ossus reputation +

10M Credits.

Again this is just an example. BW can decide a price reflecting their desired level of difficulty on how Tier 5 gear should be obtained.

I agree with that the Devs should have built on the existing gearing system and 248 gear should be used to upgrade to 258, but your sample prices are very high. It would be easier using the system they already have for most players.

Bioware made a mistake, once again, with this TIER 5 gear.

from Podcast Buvette Charles Boyd & Eric Musco! :

the new gear was mainly meant for Nightmare Gods from the Machine bosses as the raid is balanced around those stats

It were more clever to do a tier 4 bis dedicated to GFTM then a tier 5 !

the current gearing system is fine ! it had no need to be reworked !

Bioware made a mistake, once again, with this TIER 5 gear.

from Podcast Buvette Charles Boyd & Eric Musco! :

It were more clever to do a tier 4 bis dedicated to GFTM then a tier 5 !

the current gearing system is fine ! it had no need to be reworked !

Charles/Eric must be kidding there, if it was meant for just that group of players then PvP bolster would have been set to 258. Instead the gear increases are 99% for PvPers.

Here's what I suggest:

10M Credits.

Correct me if I'm wrong here ( and I might very well be), but isn't the way it works now 2 MDC's for a 252 piece and then 3 MDC's + the 252 piece for the 258 piece?

So in your example, you would need the same amount of MDC's but on top of that 7k UC's (which is like 10ish MDC's) and 10kk credits.... and how exactly would that make things better :confused:

I agree with that the Devs should have built on the existing gearing system and 248 gear should be used to upgrade to 258, but your sample prices are very high. It would be easier using the system they already have for most players.

Correct me if I'm wrong here ( and I might very well be), but isn't the way it works now 2 MDC's for a 252 piece and then 3 MDC's + the 252 piece for the 258 piece?

So in your example, you would need the same amount of MDC's but on top of that 7k UC's (which is like 10ish MDC's) and 10kk credits.... and how exactly would that make things better :confused:

Point taken. The big difference is that we would be able to make use of our already existing 248 gear prerequisites. Applying this will not be difficult at all because gearing is progressed on the existing Tier 1 - 4 system already in place. The price stated was merely an example and based on the feedback I'm getting it is too much. How would you guys feel about:

258 Main Hand requires -- 248 shell + 3500 UC + 5 Masterwork Data Crystals + Legendary Ossus reputation +

5M Credits.

Perhaps this is an acceptable deal for SWtoR player base.

Point taken. The big difference is that we would be able to make use of our already existing 248 gear prerequisites. Applying this will not be difficult at all because gearing is progressed on the existing Tier 1 - 4 system already in place. The price stated was merely an example and based on the feedback I'm getting it is too much. How would you guys feel about:

258 Main Hand requires -- 248 shell + 3500 UC + 5 Masterwork Data Crystals + Legendary Ossus reputation +

5M Credits.

Perhaps this is an acceptable deal for SWtoR player base.

Right now I can spend 2 MDC for a 252 and then 3 MDC to turn that 252 into a 258.

The point should be to get to the 258 gear without having to do the Ossus grind for MDC. If I were able to upgrade my 248 gear to 258 just using UCs then that would be a solution inline with the current gearing system. If I have to get the reputation and the MDC I might as well just follow the path the Devs have already lined up.

Right now I can spend 2 MDC for a 252 and then 3 MDC to turn that 252 into a 258.

The point should be to get to the 258 gear without having to do the Ossus grind for MDC. If I were able to upgrade my 248 gear to 258 just using UCs then that would be a solution inline with the current gearing system. If I have to get the reputation and the MDC I might as well just follow the path the Devs have already lined up.

I understand why MDC and Ossus reputation is made a requirement for the gear upgrade. That being, BW wants everybody to engage in the new expansion. Hence, I incorporated the reputation and MDC's on my example. Removing them would mean that players will have the option to NOT do Ossus at all. Once maybe and that's it. Just as many have done with KotFE and KotET.

I am totally fine removing the MDC's and reputation requisite in obtaining the Tier 5 items. If BW is okay with that I'll happily roll with it.

My guess BW knows we were all hoarding our 248 shells with the expectation of turning them in as tokens to get the next tier of gear, but doing so would nullify their intention of having a grind-fest to get the next tier if we all just swapped out shells, so viola, no stacking of bonus sets, no swapping out shells. Edited by xordevoreaux

My guess BW knows we were all hoarding our 248 shells with the expectation of turning them in as tokens to get the next tier of gear, but doing so would nullify their intention of having a grind-fest to get the next tier if we all just swapped out shells, so viola, no stacking of bonus sets, no swapping out shells.

Could be, that why in my example each exchange would cost a steep price including the Legendary Ossus reputation and MDC's to ensure players will still engage, heavily I might add, on the new content.

Could be, that why in my example each exchange would cost a steep price including the Legendary Ossus reputation and MDC's to ensure players will still engage, heavily I might add, on the new content.

The problem even with that idea is when 6.0 comes out, probably with yet another gear tier, there we are with a 5.10 bottleneck.

The problem even with that idea is when 6.0 comes out, probably with yet another gear tier, there we are with a 5.10 bottleneck.

Expected as we are going o have a higher level cap to go with that. BUT that would be an entirely different discussion. As of now, I see this a good option to be added for gear progression.

5M Credits.

Still more expensive than current.

Try something like:

252 For: "248 + 1000 UC + 100 CT + 2M Credits" (252 also from weeklies like now)

Then:

258 For: 252 + 2 MDC

Now, one problem here is that 252/258 do not stack with tier 1 to 4. Is a completely new gear. So BW said several times that expertise cannot be reintroduce until a new big update (6.0) but now they can and implemented a completely new gear in the same 5.X. I remember that over a year ago when tier 4 was anounced they said tier 5 was in the works. This is not tier 5, this a new grind plain and simple.

---------------------------------------

On another note i have read that some people like this new gearing method cause is similar to pre 5.0 (not requiring CXP).

I only played 4.X on the last days so never got much of those crystals but if i remember correctly there was a lot of content that provided the crystals needed, not just the last introduced. Even vanilla story provided a low level crystal that could be user for a first tier gear (no bonus i think).

Now they are forcing you to play only Ossus or Gotm MM operation. Why playing Vet/MM Flashpoints and Operations, Star fortress, Eternal Chimpionship and other daylies cannot give MDC? Or at least a way to properly get MDC?

I know that if they were to correct that it would probably mean another currency and we already have too many.

But the new content is kind of boring to repeat (for my taste). I do like Ossus design, it reminds me a little of Korriban, that it love; but the dailies are a mess to get, the base is a mess (particularly the imp base). Yavin / Oricon are much better designed, they have a flow.

Still more expensive than current.

Try something like:

252 For: "248 + 1000 UC + 100 CT + 2M Credits" (252 also from weeklies like now)

Then:

258 For: 252 + 2 MDC

Now, one problem here is that 252/258 do not stack with tier 1 to 4. Is a completely new gear. So BW said several times that expertise cannot be reintroduce until a new big update (6.0) but now they can and implemented a completely new gear in the same 5.X. I remember that over a year ago when tier 4 was anounced they said tier 5 was in the works. This is not tier 5, this a new grind plain and simple.

---------------------------------------

On another note i have read that some people like this new gearing method cause is similar to pre 5.0 (not requiring CXP).

I only played 4.X on the last days so never got much of those crystals but if i remember correctly there was a lot of content that provided the crystals needed, not just the last introduced. Even vanilla story provided a low level crystal that could be user for a first tier gear (no bonus i think).

Now they are forcing you to play only Ossus or Gotm MM operation. Why playing Vet/MM Flashpoints and Operations, Star fortress, Eternal Chimpionship and other daylies cannot give MDC? Or at least a way to properly get MDC?

I know that if they were to correct that it would probably mean another currency and we already have too many.

But the new content is kind of boring to repeat (for my taste). I do like Ossus design, it reminds me a little of Korriban, that it love; but the dailies are a mess to get, the base is a mess (particularly the imp base). Yavin / Oricon are much better designed, they have a flow.

Again that pricing was just an example. No matter how I put it, someone somewhere will find it either too expensive or too cheap. Let's leave that for BW to decide.

Regarding feedback about some players liking the new grind is subjective. All that tells us is we have a player base who actually feels that. But as for the majority (it would seem like) there is a palpable distaste regarding the matter. Especially when they just found out, even the new mods and enhancements are bound to their corresponding type --- http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=957755

Having this will give the vast player base another option on how to progress. That way, players can choose which route works for them best. Players are then NOT limited and forced to do it in just one way.

Please, stop.

Maybe your "pricing" is worse than BW's.

Ah one of those who doesn't bother to read or understand what was posted or discussed. Without anything insightful to contribute you're better off elsewhere. And if you can make me stop, I will oblige.

It's really annoying how everything is bound to it's shell type. Convenience and customization is something BW needs to understand. Taking that convenience away makes the game a LOT LESS fun than it should be. This drives most players away. The one's you are left with are the tenacious ones who are already spent on dealing with this inconvenience thus leaving them agitated an displeased. What do we have after that -- a TOXIC environment populated by toxic players! Is that good for SWtoR (or any game for that matter)? You know the answer. Edited by Zidovain

Ah one of those who doesn't bother to read or understand what was posted or discussed. Without anything insightful to contribute you're better off elsewhere. And if you can make me stop, I will oblige.

Getting hostile with other forum contributors does not endear anyone to your cause.

Getting hostile with other forum contributors does not endear anyone to your cause.

True. But that is far from hostility. I merely pointed out that he has not contributed anything as seen on his post.

Edited by Zidovain

yeah it's called 6.0 but Bioware just wants you to use up your Unassembled Components first

or maybe they are doing you a favor allowing players convert 500 UC to 1 masterwork crystal

Plausible. BUT, you don't know that. I don't, nobody does. Has BW said anything specific about it?

Edited by Zidovain

The real answer is that the game had no need of another tier of gear (or the last couple, either.) There were already way too many tiers of gear at max level. The fools making decisions for this game can't learn from prior mistakes. They've done this before, they're doing it again. Last time they basically had to rebalance everything with an expansion to sort of fix it. It will be just as bad this time, except they don't have even the so-so level of competence at testing and so on they had then. I have little hope they'll actually fix it any time soon and little hope my raid group will continue long enough for it to matter.