More tactical play

AlrikFassbauer

Hello,

yes, I do know that I'm only a lonely voice; I'm fully aware of the fact that I might belong to the "vocal minority", even merely because i do post here.

What I'm thinking about is that my play style is doable in SWTOR - but only when I'm a solitary player.

And here's why :

I do love tactical planning. If I see a group of enemies, or if I see a strong enemy, the very first thing I do is stop; and think.

This is so much against the "Action-RPG" gameplay that's SWTOR. I mean, Action-RPGs have been dominating the whole RPG genre SO MUCH , that this kind of gameplay has become the STANDARD for younger gamers. Just remember the infamous "unplayable" verdict about the old Ultima games. Let's face it . The younger generations of gamers have been psychologically trained by the bigger game-producing ompanies to adapt and embrace Action games. No thinking, no slow game play, please. "Skip, please !" And the "burn through everything with just DPS" style of game play.

Me, the lonely voice I am (that sounds pathethic big time, doesn't it ? ;) - Now this is a place in which BOTH meanings of the word "pathetic" of the English and the German language fall into one ! :D )

just wants a more tactical kind of gameplay.

Just like "stop - think".

This won't happen, because this is not doable in groups. and i do know it.

So far, thinking is exclusively needed for world bosses, FP bosses and Op bosses. Not much outside of that.

And, thinking is usually taken over soon by "learn the mechanics and act according to them" or just by an 2burn through everything with DPS".

I just want to think more.

I have no slightest idea of how much this is feasible at all, but I'd like to be able to get into a spot, hacving to stop, think, and assemble my tools of choice. Do I have to do a stun of the left one first, and a slow of the right one because i need to be able to get the middle one in time ß The Republic Mandalorian H2 on Balmorra does this right for some part : The player gets stunned by the meelee Mandalorian, meanwhile the range DDs of them focus the player. Result : middle mando has to be cc'ed.

Now that's a thing I'd like to do, maybe even with - is that a thing now ? - "procedurally generated" enemies - I mean what the fight is instanced, and that you cannot know which kind of enemy will attack you. Totally random. A bit like in KDY. Containing even older abilities that are gone from player classes, but are still there for NPC classes. Operative NPCs that roll. Scoundrel NPCs that sneak behind you. NPCs that sttun you and then then fully concentrate on the Companion.

Ah, and please don't offer this just for level 60+

People should imho be able to learn - and be taught - maybe by holo enemies in a training session ? - to "stop and think", to be able to test out tools to beat enemies. A nbit like in the Eternal Championship - but ALSO for Newbies ! - I mean, Newbies have limited tools - they should be able to learn how to use them against higher-level-characters in PvP. Or elsewhere (what about Lowbie OPs, for example ß OPs for let's say level 30 ?).

In short : I want more of a challenge in thinking, not just in reflexes.

Current Op bosses might provide that (I can't say about the newer FPs, and I haven't played KOTET so far, I really haven't), but they are too heavy for my taste. And they are not for Lowbies / Newbies, either.

Thinking about that, I really like the thought of holograms in a training similation. Holograms of fighters, All player and non-player classes which are available, having all tools available, like being invisible. Maybe even in groups, with more challenge, similar in the Eternal Championship, random like in KDY.

Now that's crazy, isn't it ? ;)

Alrik

I do love tactical planning. If I see a group of enemies, or if I see a strong enemy, the very first thing I do is stop; and think.

I hear you and support you. Theoretically.

Unfortunately, this is not Drakensang (we both used to write in the old DTP's Drakensang forum). At least the solo play in Swtor needs zero stopping and thinking. These days, if I see a mob in Swtor, I jump in, aggro the two other mobs nearby, then go to the kitchen to grab a snack and when I come back, no reds alive anymore. ;)