Dear Devs: I'm so sorry

When the KOTET saga came out, I was a hater. A big one. Now that the new movies and especially TLJ have come out, I find myself with little recourse left but to humbly apologize to the devs. When KOTFE and KOTET came out I thought they couldn't do worse to Star Wars, I was so wrong it's not even remotely funny.

I'm so sorry guys. All of you, even Musco, didn't deserve the level of hate you got from me. Sure the KOT saga had its issues, but so did the prequels, and I still love them despite the missed potential. I was an ungrateful, spoiled brat who didn't know what true suffering feels like, not until I saw what they'd done to my beau, Star Wars, with the sequel trilogy... Please, I hope you accept my humblest apologies for anything remiss I said to or about any of you.

While I still disagree with decisions you made and the way certain parts of the story were handled/approached, its still a sound story idea with real promise and potential that I now see was a genuine attempt at paying homage to what made Star Wars great without directly copying and pasting from other Star Wars content. You guys tried despite the disadvantages you had, and for that at least I can respect you and say that KOT wasn't so bad. In fact I give it 3/5 stars!

In the end you guys showed the Old Republic Era the respect it deserves. Even if you didn't hit gold with KOT, you still didn't disrespect the source material or the fans and their desires, and for that you have my genuine thanks. Again, I'm sorry for the way I acted about KOTFE and KOTET. It was ungrateful of me. I was ignorant. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

P.S. Hope you enjoyed that. It's not often I swallow my massive ego and apologize...I really do mean it though, I hope you guys stay true to Star Wars, the OR era, and the fans in the future. I've learned the old saying is true: You really never do realize how good you have it until you find out just how much worse it could be...

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

That you apologize says alot about you. You are pretty passionate about Star Wars - love and hate are often pretty close.

While I liked Kotfe from the start and don´t hate the new movies I still think that Kotfe is better than the new movies.

The new movies are technically great but lack in character depth or something I can't describe. I just dont care for Rey or Finn. I dont know why.

But I care about Mako, Vette, Senya and even Arcann. And I think Valkoryon is a better villain than Snoke (but thats not hard :) Bioware accomplished to create interesting characters and great stories that work together. I mean Scorpio has a master plan and can die - thats great storytelling.

Its hard to please everyone - especially Star Wars fans :)

While I liked Kotfe from the start and don´t hate the new movies I still think that Kotfe is better than the new movies.

The new movies are technically great but lack in character depth or something I can't describe. I just dont care for Rey or Finn. I dont know why.

I'd divide the new movies into three groups:

* Rogue One

* TFA and TLJ

* Solo

Rogue One is, for me, without a doubt the best of the four. TFA and TLJ suffer somewhat from a conflict of expectations combined with some characters whose nature and/or inclusion smacked of tokenism of one sort or another.

Solo was a weird one, though. The lead actor's look was mis-cast, and there were some jarring oddities (see spoiler). As a free-standing film, if you disconnect it to who the characters were elsewhere in the Star Wars universe, it wasn't bad, but because it *was* linked to *those* characters, it failed.

Oddities...

* Spartacus / "Workers of the world unite!" sequence. Funny, but out of place in Star Wars.

* Lando Calrissian *cheats* at cards. That's one of those "linked to those characters" things.

I'd divide the new movies into three groups:

* Rogue One

* TFA and TLJ

* Solo

Rogue One is, for me, without a doubt the best of the four. TFA and TLJ suffer somewhat from a conflict of expectations combined with some characters whose nature and/or inclusion smacked of tokenism of one sort or another.

Solo was a weird one, though. The lead actor's look was mis-cast, and there were some jarring oddities (see spoiler). As a free-standing film, if you disconnect it to who the characters were elsewhere in the Star Wars universe, it wasn't bad, but because it *was* linked to *those* characters, it failed.

Oddities...

* Spartacus / "Workers of the world unite!" sequence. Funny, but out of place in Star Wars.

* Lando Calrissian *cheats* at cards. That's one of those "linked to those characters" things.

I mostly agree with your assessment. I have seen every Star War movie opening day since episode was first released when I was a kid. I didn't go to opening day of Solo.. Why? Because LTJ was the biggest let down of my life and I don't think it was because of my expectations. The whole thing just seemed out of place and non-congruent character wise to anything previously done. The main character just simply became a Jedi.. With no real effort.

To me Rogue One was an amazing film that echoed back to the originals. It didn't feel out of place at all.

What I do know is that Star Wars for me is severely damaged as a whole. From this point on I'll probably just wait until others have seen them to decide whether or not I'll purchase them once they are released digitally. Opening night.. probably not ever again.

I'm so sorry guys. All of you, even Musco, didn't deserve the level of hate you got from me. Sure the KOT saga had its issues, but so did the prequels, and I still love them despite the missed potential. I was an ungrateful, spoiled brat who didn't know what true suffering feels like, not until I saw what they'd done to my beau, Star Wars, with the sequel trilogy... Please, I hope you accept my humblest apologies for anything remiss I said to or about any of you.

I think it is great that you can self-assess and see that you over-reacted.

Maybe next time step back and think it through before going full buzzsaw over a game and the decisions by it's producers. :)

Edited by Andryah

I mostly agree with your assessment. I have seen every Star War movie opening day since episode was first released when I was a kid. I didn't go to opening day of Solo.. Why? Because LTJ was the biggest let down of my life and I don't think it was because of my expectations. The whole thing just seemed out of place and non-congruent character wise to anything previously done. The main character just simply became a Jedi.. With no real effort.

To me Rogue One was an amazing film that echoed back to the originals. It didn't feel out of place at all.

What I do know is that Star Wars for me is severely damaged as a whole. From this point on I'll probably just wait until others have seen them to decide whether or not I'll purchase them once they are released digitally. Opening night.. probably not ever again.

I totally support each person having preferences for what they like or dislike.

That said... I think SW fans have jumped the shark with their outbursts about TLJ and Solo. They act like they personally own the IP and therefore the themes and story... which they do not. There is even an organized crowd funding effort by fans to fund and allegedly force Disney to redo TLJ.... LAMO.

Star Wars is a completely made up fantasy theme (left very open ended by design by Lucas), and heavily based on 50s era weekly space opera episodes in theaters (which Lucas grew up watching). And like all such completely made up themes..... they can and will expand in many different direction over time if they endure with fans. SW is more than 40 years old now, and with Lucas penchant for merchandising and reaping royalties on everything.... the core SW universe has evolved and shifted over time.. and that includes story arcs in various mediums (movies, books, games, etc).

People are free to not give Disney their money if they do not like the direction of any piece of SW entertainment. But to think that they can dictate or control Disney in this regard is absurd. People need to learn some boundaries.. even for their fantasy adventures. :)

Edited by Andryah

They act like they personally own the IP and therefore the themes and story... which they do not. There is even an organized crowd funding effort by fans to fund and allegedly force Disney to redo TLJ.... LAMO.

This is what strikes me as so crazy.

FANS feel so entitled to an IP now they think the artists creating material for the IP OWES them something and I totally disagree. Never in my life have I seen this kind of self-entitled selfish childishness when it comes to fan fair created for consumption.

The same thing is going on with The Walking Dead, and other more famous recent mega pop culture IPs. People are so "passionate" they spend tons of time, energy, MONEY to dissuade the direction of their favorite IPs creative flow.

When did the art created by writers, directors, musicians become the property of those who are fans of it? artists create, you have the right to like or dislike it but not force them to create it in the way you want it.

I think it just goes to show we as people as a whole have little problems if these are the things we preoccupy our lives with.

IMO it's ok to be passionate about art, it's not ok to become violently upset over the direction the art is taken by the creators.

Anyone that gets that upset IRL over the direction Star Wars has gone probably ought to reevaluate their priorities in life. I'd say they are not reasonable.

Personally I enjoyed the first 3 Star Wars movies, and found all the ones I watched later in life utter garbage. That doesn't make me throw a tantrum and burn all my Star Wars toys in a rage all the while demanding they remake the movies.

TL;DR

If you are in a violent rage over the direction Star Wars has gone, and are demanding they remake them in a mold you see more fitting, get a grip and reevaluate your life priorities.

P.S. I am not aiming this at the OP, just saying anyone in general that feels the way I outlined in the TL;DR.

Edited by Lhancelot

You read way to much into my posts when what I posted simply boiled down to..

People are free to not give Disney their money

If you are in a violent rage over the direction Star Wars has gone, and are demanding they remake them in a mold you see more fitting, get a grip and reevaluate your life priorities

I didn't even allude to this in my post. Disney can do what it wants, when it wants and how it wants. I will spend my money when I want, on what I want.. However it won't be opening day of a movie, it won't be any of the new memorabilia etc. Also it seems like a LOT of other fans feel the same as I do, due to recent sales figures. Also that seems to be an indication of why they're canceling said independent movies as of this point.

If Disney figures out what they're doing wrong, I'm sure I'll change my mind and go back to watching and purchasing one of my favorite franchise movies. Until then.. c'est la vie.

Edited by Tahana

This is what strikes me as so crazy.

FANS feel so entitled to an IP now they think the artists creating material for the IP OWES them something and I totally disagree. Never in my life have I seen this kind of self-entitled selfish childishness when it comes to fan fair created for consumption.

I think the core issue here is two fold:

1) an activist mindset, thinking anything can be attacked an compelled to follow the will of <insert your special interest group here>.

2) The proliferation of smart phones and social media which turbocharges otherwise normal levels of activist behaviors to the point where every small thing can be easily conflated to a global drama.

These both feed on and amplify each other. And in general it is dumbing down society and any norms that come from actual live face to face discussion and conversations between human beings.

Star Wars fans (some, not all) have completely jumped the shark with their demands to have control over all things Star Wars.

There is no remedy for them in this regard, other than to simply not spend money on anything Star Wars... but you and I both know that is not what happens.. they simply keep spending and continue to double down with demanding rhetoric in a complete absence of rational boundaries between them and the creators of SW entertainment products. It's a very toxic way to embrace entertainment products.

Edited by Andryah

Lol, a backhanded apology just as an excuse to continue crying about TLJ 7 months later. :rolleyes:

^^this

and

Can't figure out if this is a genuine apology or a smoke screen to vent some hatred toward the recent movies. :confused:

^^this

How I read it is that he is sorry for thinking that the devs are the worst when they are actually only the second worst. :confused:

Nonetheless:

It's not often I swallow my massive ego and apologize...I really do mean it though (...)

I suppose he really means it, so: kudos.

I didn't even allude to this in my post. Disney can do what it wants, when it wants and how it wants. I will spend my money when I want, on what I want..

I never said my post was in direct relation to you, I just was speaking my opinion on how some "fans" seem really self-entitled.

I even made sure to say that it was not aimed at the OP, only those who fit the description of my criticism. I don't view you as being violently upset etc., so my post was not directed at you.

I think the core issue here is two fold:

1) an activist mindset, thinking anything can be attacked an compelled to follow the will of <insert your special interest group here>.

2) The proliferation of smart phones and social media which turbocharges otherwise normal levels of activist behaviors to the point where every small thing can be easily conflated to a global drama.

These both feed on and amplify each other. And in general it is dumbing down society and any norms that come from actual live face to face discussion and conversations between human beings.

Right! It amazes me how social media and "netiquette" works now. Things that were never appropriate just 10-20 years ago has become the norm.

There's no privacy, everyone feels obligated to express criticisms of every little thing and publicize it so the world knows their stance on it etc.

Basically I am an old man now. I suppose the old adage "get off my lawn" fits right about now. :)

Edited by Lhancelot

I never said my post was in direct relation to you, I just was speaking my opinion on how some "fans" seem really self-entitled.

I even made sure to say that it was not aimed at the OP, only those who fit the description of my criticism. I don't view you as being violently upset etc., so my post was not directed at you.

Right! It amazes me how social media and "netiquette" works now. Things that were never appropriate just 10-20 years ago has become the norm.

There's no privacy, everyone feels obligated to express criticisms of every little thing and publicize it so the world knows their stance on it etc.

Basically I am an old man now. I suppose the old adage "get off my lawn" fits right about now. :)

Meh, I'm 32 but I'm with you on this. I just don't get it nor see the point.

How I read it is that he is sorry for thinking that the devs are the worst when they are actually only the second worst. :confused:

It's like saying, "Babe, I'm sorry I said you looked fat in the red dress. Once I saw how fat the blue dress made you look, I realized the red dress wasn't so bad."

See how well that goes over, lol

Each time i go to the theater to watch Star Wars, I get the Phantom Menace feeling. The movies are so "meh" that I've lost interest. I basically only care about the original trilogy and Old Republic at this point.

Guess I'll just watch Marvel movies. Disney seems to do a decent job there, at least.

I was an ungrateful, spoiled brat who didn't know what true suffering feels like, not until I saw what they'd done to my beau, Star Wars, with the sequel trilogy...

WOW...

Did anyone point out how stupid this sentence is? I'm all for using hyperbole and stuff, but "true suffering"? Really?

From what I read here, you are still an "ungrateful spoiled brat" if the fact that you didn't like a movie, which is made for general entertainment, makes you truly suffer. Not liking, or even hating the movie is one thing. It can make you sad, but, once again, "true suffering"? Being a big fan of a universe is fun, but sounds like you're taking all this way too seriously.

PS: "true suffering" lmao

It's not just an old man thing. I agree with you and Andryah and my age bracket is unjustly lumped in with millenials, to whom I have no affection nor affinity and seem to only share in the age range (which is way too broad).

Massive :rolleyes: to all the angst over the new movies. I only despair that it paints all Star Wars fans with the same brush. Hey, I now know what it's like to be a PvPer and read about how toxic *all* PvPers are!

OP, I felt just like you after TPM, and it only got worse with AotC and RotS. But something happened to me after that: I came to think that these are just movies, and no matter how deeply I feel about them, at the end of the day it's all about being entertained. With that mindset, I enjoyed TFA, loved Rogue 1, and am head over heels for TLJ (I think it's my favorite Star Wars movie - Rogue 1 is a close second, but TLJ hits all the right notes for me). I haven't seen Solo yet, but something tells me that, however bad it may be, it's not going to diminish my love of Star Wars, or change the fact that I'll be eagerly looking forward to as many more Star Wars movies as we are lucky to receive.

tl;dr: Don't give up hope. If Star Wars can survive the prequels, it can survive anything.

I think the reason why some of the movies aren't living up to their potential (according to some fans) is because the current world is changing, ie feminism, sjw, liberalism, conservatism, etc and Hollywood is reflecting on that. Which for normal movies wouldn't be a big deal, but some of the older (meaning born before 1977) fans and some of the younger ones too, like how the movies were from the 70s and 80s. And I think it could be that maybe Disney is trying too hard? I don't know. I have the dvd of TLJ but haven't seen it yet, and waiting for SOLO to come out on dvd before watching it. I don't do movies anymore because too expensive and I usually have to get up to potty way too much.

This is exactly how I feel about SW's currently. I did not go to theaters for TLJ or Solo... I did buy TLJ as a digital purchase once available and it sealed the deal...I will no longer go see SW movies in theaters from now on unless they seriously change their approach. I honestly don't plan on purchasing Solo at all...

For the record I saw every SW movie in theaters up until TLJ...

Edited by Soljin

TLJ was the 1st Star wars movie that I had no desire to purchase the DVD.

I bought 1,2 & 3 (err 4,5,6)

Then 1,2,3 and so on.

Bought Rogue One because I felt it was decent

I'll not have Solo unless someone gifts it to me.

I'm decently laid back when I watch a film. Am I entertained? Did this make sense? (keeping in mind you have to suspend present day reality but meh I "believed" in Transporters in the '60s) Way less concerned about canon, to a point, if in another film Darth V was really head of the Jedi order, then its whoa wait a minute.

I wonder if I expect too much? If Star Wars 4 came out now would I like it now as I did back then?

MxO was my 1st MMO, would I like it now like I liked it when I played eons ago?

Maybe no to both questions.

I do wish SWG was still around so I could play Two Star Wars games though.

TLJ was the 1st Star wars movie that I had no desire to purchase the DVD.

I bought 1,2 & 3 (err 4,5,6)

Then 1,2,3 and so on.

Bought Rogue One because I felt it was decent

I'll not have Solo unless someone gifts it to me.

This. TLJ had the potential to be really good. But it fell flat. I've thought about it and talked about it with friends and we came to the conclusion that, as someone else said higher up, Disney is trying too hard to make their movies "inclusive". They focus so much on "diversity" to the point where they forget that they are supposed to be telling a story. They have sacrificed good story telling and interesting characters on the alter of diversity, and that's really sad. You can have great story with a diverse cast, but they don't do that here. For some reason, Marvel does it great. I don't want to be reminded of the crap storm the world is right now when I'm watching a movie. I watch movies to escape from that reality for a little while. Disney needs to straighten up their act or they're going to find themselves losing a lot more money in the future.