Does anyone play a musical instrument?

silenthc

Thought I'd ask a little about something besides SWTOR, one of my main passions in life, if not my biggest, music. As the title says, who on here plays a musical instrument (either dedicated or is capable of playing one)? I myself have owned an electric guitar and bass guitar for about eight years now, with my main focus being "playing" the bass. As much as I love the guitar and drums, there's something about the bass that just makes me appreciate it more, not just the dank, muddy sound of it, but to me being the building block of most songs, the part that combines the drums' rhythm and guitar's melody.

I put playing between quotation marks as it's one of my biggest peeves to commit myself to learning the instrument fully for a certain amount of time, then reach a point where for whatever reason I just stop practicing altogether for an even longer period. A cycle that's been continual since I've started playing, leading to me still being a beginner just capable of playing a couple of songs and feeling like I have to start over again every time I pick it up again after said period.

How does anyone else of you who play an instrument deal with the continuous, repetitive practice and striving to get better, to keep going when you a hit a proverbial wall? I get truly frustrated with myself for just quitting a long period (and it's not just when I hit a wall of skill, I can't pinpoint exactly why I do it, other than having a short attention span), and I consider it a great lesson for myself in persistence. Maybe part of it is I've never taken one-on-one lessons and solely relied on websites/videos (albeit truly expert ones), and I know it's constantly put forth there is no better way to be taught, but I feel they're so terribly expensive.

So yeah, hope there's others out here who get great enjoyment out of being able to jam along to their favorite tracks. :)

Edited by silenthc

I've played the piano since I was 8 and picked up the guitar when I was 18 or so. I go through pretty long lapses of activity, but I follow several dozens of bands and composers almost religiously so music is always a huge part of my life.

When I'm not being lazy, I have a typical guitar workout that I do 5-6 days a week. Same with piano. I start with some finger exercises, move on to some scales, practice two songs I'm learning, repeat finger exercises, have fun with songs I've mastered, then back to finger exercises. Sometimes I'll start with a warmup and just mess around. I typically spend between 15 and 40 minutes, depending on my mood, on the workout.

If you want guided lessons for a bunch of modern songs, I recommend picking up Rocksmith. It is about the same price as one private lesson from a tutor, but you have unlimited access. It has lessons for lead and rhythm guitar as well as bass.

I played guitar, and bass, for close to 20 years (late 70's to late 90's). Was in a band in high school and played at some private party gigs until the mid 80's. Continued to play just for myself and for friends at parties after going into the Army in the late 80's. When I stopped playing in the late 90's, I sold off all of my gear (Ibanez Iceman, Gibson SG, Warlock Bass, Marshall single stack and bass stack). Just didn't have the time to play. My parents sent me a cheapy guitar and amp set about 10 years ago and when I tried getting back into it, I found that my fingers had lost their dexterity (guess it comes from age and not practicing regularly), so I finally admitted to myself that those days are gone. Funny, I can type close to 80 wpm, but lack the dexterity to play guitar. Haven't tried playing a bass though. It's not quite as intricate as playing guitar.

I've played guitar since I was in 3rd grade, with a few skipped years and I'm 33 now. I can't "shred" at all though, never was interested in playing guitar that way but I do some enjoy some bands or just people who do. I bought a 5 string bass guitar in 2012 but I only got it because I write and record music, so having a bass in there really helps fill out the sound, so I can play bass but not like any real bass players like John Myung from Dream Theater.

I don't really practice either instrument at all, I just pick them up and noodle around with them, if I come up with a riff that I like but can't play well I just practice that rather than more traditional practicing. Years ago I would learn how to play mildly difficult songs which improved my playing a bunch, I mainly listen to metal so I learned some songs from bands like Metallica, Meshuggah, Opeth and stuff like that.

I've been a bass player for almost 30 years now. I can also play accoustic guitar, but I don't like it, thus I prefer not to. Drums, if the riddim is not too difficult. Keyboard, if it's either chords or melody, but not both together. I can do beatbox, in case you might consider this an instrument, too. ;) I also ran a record shop for some years and have my own record label. So, yeah, music is very important in my life. :)

P. S. Only bass players have replied yet. No wonder. Bass players are the best people. ;)

Edited by JattaGin

My parents sent me a cheapy guitar and amp set about 10 years ago and when I tried getting back into it, I found that my fingers had lost their dexterity (guess it comes from age and not practicing regularly), so I finally admitted to myself that those days are gone. Funny, I can type close to 80 wpm, but lack the dexterity to play guitar. Haven't tried playing a bass though. It's not quite as intricate as playing guitar.

Weird, I've all but stopped playing the electric guitar myself, but whenever one finds ints way into my hands, musle memory springs back in with a vengeance (after an awkward couple hours)

also ran a record shop for some years and have my own record label. So, yeah, music is very important in my life. :)

Whoa ! :eek:

Edited by BenduKundalini