"Subscriber Only" Gear For What Was Removed With The 4.0 Update?

arunav

As many players have noted before, Update 4.0 removed most launch gear and weapons from quests, specific mobs, vendors, class rewards, FPs, area missions, etc.

These had been in the game since Day 1, and players who had subscribed for long periods of time before, or even since those launch days, without any notice, all of a sudden didn't have access to really basic SWTOR gear for their characters.

A few models have returned in Command Crates, and on the legacy gear vendors on the Fleets, and crafting skills received updates that replaced some of what was removed. Still, the overwhelming majority of gear and weapons are still missing from the game. And with Level-Sync, the chances of getting an item to drop at a specific level range, or gaining a set from heroic boxes' RNG, especially with leveling so fast now, is incredibly unlikely.

Would it be possible to bring much of what was taken out and make it accessible for subscribers only?

The reason I bring this up is not only because it was really basic SWTOR gear, things you had gotten used to picking up on new alts while leveling through planets, but because game updates and expansions on average have less in them than before, and it would add some value back into our subscriptions.

We know the team is limited in what it can accomplish each year, but maybe it's possible to go through armor and weapons for each advanced class, and make a vendor for each somewhere to access at least a decent proportion of what was taken out. For example, orange weapons that were rewards from heroics, class quests, or FPs could be included, as well as specific armor sets that are now ridiculously rare drops and were formerly common (this goes for armor that used to earned via heroic rewards or from FPs as well). Again, these items would only be for subscribers, and bind on pickup. If necessary, you could even put prices on them that might add another much-needed credit sink into the game.

I highly doubt this would cut into your CM sales/goals much, if any - folks like new items no matter what from the CM, but this adds the option of using some of the older gear alongside.

Thought I'd at least post on the topic. As a long-time player, I don't know folks who care about cosmetics that wouldn't still buy everything they can afford from the GTN or from the CM itself that's new, even if this gear was made available again. It still puzzles me why so many items that had been in the game from 2011 all the way through 3.x were just gone when 4.0 dropped.

Edited by arunav

If you want to assemble the planetary sets, about the only way to do it is through security crates. These drop planet level gear, not gear matched to your level. This was a lot easier before the server merge obviously but it is still possible if you can find a low pop instance to farm the security crates.

If you want to assemble the planetary sets, about the only way to do it is through security crates. These drop planet level gear, not gear matched to your level. This was a lot easier before the server merge obviously but it is still possible if you can find a low pop instance to farm the security crates.

That's quite frankly bordering on insane.

We are talking about items that used to cost 8 basic comms, or 50-100k on the GTN (and are still sold for a very low price when they are found there), or were guaranteed rewards from class quests, heroics, FPs, etc.

Edited by arunav

Well, I have some of these old items - and ALL of my inventories are FULL of them ! At least as far as I could go at those times. I didn't get "everything", of course. ;)

That's great you managed to get what you'd wanted for your characters before 4.0. However, because there was no warning to players these items were going away, many folks did not.

I have a lot of the old gear on my "main" 8 class characters, the ones who went through the stories first, and some of what I am referring to on alts that went through the stories again on the other Advanced Class.

The last characters that had the opportunity to get any of these for me was the 2 I made for the DvL event.

Since then, alts are limited to CM account unlocks (which are plentiful for most veteran players, I think), and a relatively limited number of options, in comparison to what was in the game from 2011-the end of 3.x.

I think old-school SWTOR orange weapon models are more of a concern than armor, since the CM has done an overall more thorough job on armor sets. If you just prefer older weapons, choices are often really limited. Occasionally, the model you'd like to use, when it actually is available, is tied to the wrong Dark or Light alignment than your character.

I'm just asking the developers to think about a way to reward subscribers with vendors that have some of the gear that was taken out and hasn't been put in command crates or other sources.

Immediately what comes to mind are the vendors that were removed from Fleet (Planetary vendors) that sold everything for 8 basic comms, more or less. After that would be old heroic rewards no longer available, quest and area rewards, and then finally launch-3.x FP loot. I'm sure I'm missing some major things, but for what I was used to, collecting things while leveling, this covers most of it.

By the way, for any Developer that might maybe read this, I've spent plenty of CCs and credits purchasing and unlocking a large proportion of armor and weapons from the Cartel Market. I'd guess this to be at least 60-70% of the armor sets, less of the weapons (mostly due to sounds often not being as appealing as basic weapons from the older game, especially lightsabers).

So this request isn't from the type of player that doesn't "spend" beyond their subscription. It's just a way we're suggesting of making SWTOR more fulfilling.

Right now, with not that much going on at level-cap endgame, I was going to start a new Knight, as I hadn't played that story in years. And it brought this topic to mind, as I knew to expect a void in the leveling experience, i.e. lots of questing and other rewards still missing.

Edited by arunav