IMBALANCE and DEATH of SWTOR

Sapientem

May i ask, do Bioware know if they (Developers) are aware at all of the gap between the classes?

Do they know that they make this imbalace, and will they do something about it, because the gearing system is NOT the problem it is the IMBALANCE.

Almost all classes have now the ability of the Jedi Knight, reflect, som kind of leap. it is not junike annymore. And Focus Defense is BROKEN! i have played vigilance and tank since the beta, i say this now: the Jedi is now longer unike and it is broken, dps is bad and same survivability. The Vanguard is just sad. so sad.

A player need to "overplay" to gett results and jett u have never a chanse against a merc or commando.. And the utility of the sniper and gunnslinger. Well i understand why people only want then in ranked wz and operations, why are u killing mdps?

I love the game, is it gonna stay imbalanced? Is guardian gonna stay nerfed dps and nerfed survivalbility? Because masterstike/blade barage is piss damage and all class now have the guardians reflect.

dont tell me i am wrong because i read and play the other classes. Guardian/Jugg must have 1 they are good at. there are no speed, no buffs and borrowed HP. people who argument against have mett good players and dont know that utility tree at all over time.

Give the guardian stealth, :) like u given all other class heal, stealth, leap, reflect and so on... we have nothing.

Please say they are working on it, so we do have a motivation to play, i dont care about gear and filty hackers, but this unbalance sadnes is the end for so manny...

Edited by Sapientem

While I don't think it's going to be the death of anything, I would say there's an issue with survivability of ranged classes right now. As a long time guardian player myself, I too find the fact that nearly every class has my signature ability to abuse marginally irritating (read: what do I have that makes me better than a sentinel anymore).

But then, the game tends to have issues with balance (look at sorcs on 4.x). And the solution swings the other way (look at sorc dps now). The same thing happened to mercs. They were squishy as crap in 4.x. so they were given defensive cooldowns to the extent that I think given a taunt and guard they could tank better than my tank.

Note that I'm not complaining about the damage output at all. Im complaining that they get the highest damage and top end survivability.

To summarize: yes there's an imbalance and yes it sucks. No its not going to kill the game any more than sorcs did in 4.x.

OK, so I need to look at that again. What about stealth on my Commando?

You have many shields that hide you from sight, causing the enemy to swing wildly where they believe you to be, sometimes causing themselves damage in the process. This is proven by most people having to spray the area where you were last seen to hit you.

Where's my Gunslinger's self-heal? (Yeah, I know about the carppy little regen-in-cover thing. That's not a self-heal.)

I've seen a lot of GS/Snipers getting 400-500k healing in warzones lately, which is about 3 to 4 times the amount my PT can put out. Considering my PT must operate in melee range, doesn't have anywhere near the damage output OR defensive capabilities of GS/Sniper, I wouldn't complain too much about your "lack of self healing".

Edited by Vember

I've seen a lot of GS/Snipers getting 400-500k healing in warzones lately, which is about 3 to 4 times the amount my PT can put out. Considering my PT must operate in melee range, doesn't have anywhere near the damage output OR defensive capabilities of GS/Sniper, I wouldn't complain too much about your "lack of self healing".

I'm not complaining as such, but the other poster said that all classes can heal and stealth and stuff, and, well, some elaboration is required.

If devs do nothing about it, many ppl will quit. I play as a sorcerer dps in madness spec and cant enjoy the game after 5.0 because its dp is very very low

While there definitely is not balance between classes, the truth is:

1) this game has had imbalance since launch (all MMO's do)

2) no your wrong on it causing many to quit. People understand class balance goes in phases in MMO's, and that the OP classes get nerfed in time, and the weak classes get buffed. (Now if BW wouldn't wait 2 years for a balance, instead of a couple of months).

3) imbalance won't make large numbers of people quit. Lack of new MMO content will.

4) You commented your playing a Madness sorc, that was one of the classes that was Over Powered according to most in PvP for 2 years. (not sure I personally agree with that, but most do), so the class was bound to get a nerf sooner or later.

Edited by Toraak

I'm not re-subbing because I'm bored with the same advanced classes, and there are new games I want to play. Also the command crate grind made me feel like I was at work, and has killed my interest in the mmo genre. I was previously one of those players that returned after a long break, but this command rank deal did something to me. Edited by cool-dude

While there definitely is not balance between classes, the truth is:

1) this game has had imbalance since launch (all MMO's do)

2) no your wrong on it causing many to quit. People understand class balance goes in phases in MMO's, and that the OP classes get nerfed in time, and the weak classes get buffed. (Now if BW wouldn't wait 2 years for a balance, instead of a couple of months).

3) imbalance won't make large numbers of people quit. Lack of new MMO content will.

4) You commented your playing a Madness sorc, that was one of the classes that was Over Powered according to most in PvP for 2 years. (not sure I personally agree with that, but most do), so the class was bound to get a nerf sooner or later.

1+2. If there's a big imbalance, it better be sorted out and sorted out quickly. As for why, take a look at my point number 3.

3. Orly? So, if I want to play a Pyrotech, I'm supposed to do what? Twiddle my thumbs until I get J.Charge at 59? Or maybe quit? What if I want to play my Sage in a group on some kind of a Hard Mode? And I want to dps(them Hadokens be nice). Then what? Should I quit too? 5,0 is a hot mess. They did practically nothing while aggravating a LOT of people. That is NOT how you do your job(especially when it concerns player retention).

4. So, why does PvE have to suffer because of PvP's sins? Also, why does PvP have to suffer because of PvE's sins? There was this small game called Guild Wars that introduced the idea of a PvP version of skill. More mmos should try it, it'd do WONDERS for game balance. But...common sense(it's actually extraordinarily missing sense at this point).

What makes swtor pvp a joke is that too many core class abilities are not class specific anymore. It seems like every class has 7 ways to stun you, 19 ways to bump you, 8 ways to pull or push you, 22 ways to interrupt you etc. Its not pvp, its experiencing loss of control of your character, or in some cases lets see what the ball in a pinball table feels like. Is it like 5% of the time in a battle you have full control of your character? Soon we wont need actual people playing anymore because pressing buttons and clicking the mouse will have no actual affect.

It would be nice in 6.0 to get rid of that. One class should have 1 stun, no other class. One class bump, one class pull.

Stealth is a joke, 1 stealthy can sit around a node and effectively prevent 4 people from doing anything for half the war without ever entering actual combat - what a joke. No war type should have interruptable goals, and stealth classes shouldn't be able to stun without losing stealth (and not be able to re-stealth again for 30 seconds).

Class choices should feel like you have a distinct key ability (not a BS one, just distinct).

Playing a vanguard since the beginning and not much else (took a long pause). Lately I rolled a slinger. My god ... it feels like a blaster char should feel. I mean ... sweeping fire on two pistols, it has greater range, coverage, damage as the supposedly military grade automatic weapon of a professional soldier. Come on ! I know this is not a balance thing but an immersion one. Or, simply every gunslinger is Billy the Kid who just snipes on the fly, critically, every freaking time and on huge range while every trooper is but the average nameless cannonfodder grunt. There was a good idea in a thread here ... give vanguard a shotgun, that would make her feel more in tune with the actual gameplay and not some grunt that always misses.

1+2. If there's a big imbalance, it better be sorted out and sorted out quickly. As for why, take a look at my point number 3.

3. Orly? So, if I want to play a Pyrotech, I'm supposed to do what? Twiddle my thumbs until I get J.Charge at 59? Or maybe quit? What if I want to play my Sage in a group on some kind of a Hard Mode? And I want to dps(them Hadokens be nice). Then what? Should I quit too? 5,0 is a hot mess. They did practically nothing while aggravating a LOT of people. That is NOT how you do your job(especially when it concerns player retention).

4. So, why does PvE have to suffer because of PvP's sins? Also, why does PvP have to suffer because of PvE's sins? There was this small game called Guild Wars that introduced the idea of a PvP version of skill. More mmos should try it, it'd do WONDERS for game balance. But...common sense(it's actually extraordinarily missing sense at this point).

Honestly I've made the comment to my guildies that each spec should have a PvP spec, and a PvE spec. (so for a sniper a PvP eng spec, and a PvE eng spec for example). This way if PvP needed to be nerfed for whatever reason they would not affect PvE (and the reverse if they needed to nerf a PvE spec). However MMO's have always been a flow of what characters you should play. Some class gets nerfed into oblivion for either PvP or PvE, you switch to something else for a bit, until the class you love the most becomes viable again.

With that being said. BW takes far to long to rebalance classes. BW should rebalance at least ever 2-3 months so that the OP class isn't OP for massive amounts of time, and the nerfed classes are not useless for such long stretches of time. Regardless MMO players understand that class balance is a never ending change that occurs so you adjust to it.

PS: For every expansion something has been OP and something has gotten nerfed to the ground. BW's issue is they had Sages, and Powertechs as the Top 2 classes for PvP for a very long time (according to many on the forums.). For 2 years many on the forums considered Sages OP. BW needed to look at balance better for sure, but it really doesn't cause massive numbers of players to quit. Mercs are considered OP for now, in time that will change, as will the classes at the bottom of the DPS charts, for PvE classes.

Edited by Toraak

What irritates me is that the balance was actually pretty good back when the game launched. As usual, they went off fixing things that weren't broken, and they broke the game.

Every design team seems to do this, even though they're ALWAYS warned not to, and the result is always the same.

What irritates me is that the balance was actually pretty good back when the game launched. As usual, they went off fixing things that weren't broken, and they broke the game.

Every design team seems to do this, even though they're ALWAYS warned not to, and the result is always the same.

Honestly, I sometimes think they do it on purpose. Bosses, especially those that don't understand what their subordinates do(like say a CEO and a programmer), often require you to do SOMETHING or you're out. So, balancers prefer to keep their job(you don't say) and hence sometimes change something only to change it back to the original state later. Yes, it causes aggravation, but take it out on clueless CEOs who understand only financial speak.

...it's a rotten world out there.

No it wasn't. Operatives and tanksins were god tier classes back in the day. they were so broken, that the Ops were nerfed around 3 times in a row, and tanksins got their self healing taken away and armor reduced.

Edited by cool-dude

No it wasn't. Operatives and tanksins were god tier classes back in the day. they were so broken, that the Ops were nerfed around 3 times in a row, and tanksins got their self healing taken away and armor reduced.

Ya, there were a couple of minor issues, but they weren't as pronounced as they are now.

As had been mentioned before, the game rotates FOTM's, and has done so since launch. If you take a step back from your personal preference class, and look at BW's track record, you will see that they want players to play all of the classes at some point. From achievements to creating imbalance and FOTM classes to legendary status to auto-rolling a 60/65 toon, BW has given everyone a chance for their primary toon to be dominant for a period of time, and have now given everyone an opportunity and incentive to change mains and play the current dominant class.

That said, the imbalance lessens the longer the dominant class exposes itself. Mercs were rip-roaring pvp when 5.0 came out, and while they are still relatively strong, as people have learned tl counger their strengths, their dominance has been diminished, and rightly so. There is still a lot of ignorance from players regarding other classes, and fotm imbalances forces players to learn about them, whether by directly playing them, or by going against a massive number of them.

That said, the imbalance lessens the longer the dominant class exposes itself. Mercs were rip-roaring pvp when 5.0 came out, and while they are still relatively strong, as people have learned tl counger their strengths, their dominance has been diminished

I disagree. I still see 6-7 mercs per match on average, and they still completely dominate pvp.

And with the news that no class balance changes are coming in 5.2, I'll be joining them on my old merc. I see no point in not doing so.

I disagree. I still see 6-7 mercs per match on average, and they still completely dominate pvp..

At the start of 5.0, a single merc used to be capable of dominating a 4v4 match on it's own, regardless of the team setup. Merc is still very strong right now, but doesn't nearly make as much of a difference today as it did at the release of 5.0.

That said, if you have a class that's more powerful than all others (even slightly), and you multiple it by 5-6, of course the difference will be more noticeable.

• 4 weeks later...
Where's my Gunnery Commando's stealth ability and my Gunslinger's self-heal? (Yeah, I know about the carppy little regen-in-cover thing. That's not a self-heal.)

Also Gunnery/Arsenal leaping to target would be just asking for trouble. :D

It's true that there is always a meta, but in my five years of playing this game (Dec 2011 vet), this is far and away the WORST the class balance has ever been.

Class balance has never been perfect and it never will be but it absolutely needs to be better than this.