To the Cartel Market Team

Darkside

Dear Cartel Market Team (Which is probably 3/4 of the dev team)

Can you please take a short break from adding non-stop cartel items, and add all legacy armor/weapons to the collection system? Give it its own sub-tab in the collection system. And once someone unlocks the armor/weapon in collections, then allow the player to retrieve the armor/weapon from the collection system like normal, but with the armor/weapon still being the normal legacy type.

This minor addition would clear countless bank space for thousands of players, in addition to making things a lot easier on the database hamster.

Please consider it.

/discuss

Edited by Darkside

/discuss? OK. I think it's a bad idea, because the main point about legacy gear is that it is legacy bound. We don't really care what it looks like, because the only interesting thing about its appearance is that shield on the inventory icon.

CM gear is in Collections because it has "real world" value - you pay real money (in theory, practice suggests otherwise(1)) for CCs and they let you buy these items, and the Collections system lets you benefit from that purchase by making more, but those extra copies are only useful for the character who makes them.

Legacy gear is NOT bought in real money. You gain it from missions, from levelling up in certain ways, or by paying in-game currency of some kind (ex: the Adaptive Gear Vendor on the Fleet). The special benefit is that you can put mods in it and move around this piece of ready-set-up gear to the character who needs it. Do you think it's a good idea to be able to claim unlimited copies of that? Even if you don't allow the unlock account-wide, the "bound to character" thing of CM gear is not applicable.

It's a form of rationing.

Sigh.... first.. why start the post with an ad hominem false premise attack on the studio team? "(Which is probably 3/4 of the dev team)" What purpose does that serve in the context of your want/need? You immediately undercut the studio taking your request seriously.

Second ----> Suggestion Forum

Third....there is no compelling reason to add legacy bound gear to Collections. They are not sourced by the CM, AND you can already freely move them around in your legacy.

Besides... Collections is an Account Wide feature, not a legacy feature.

There was in fact never a compelling reason to ever introduce the Collections system, but it was a very nice QoL addition for players who use multiples of the same gear from CM sources. I don't believe we ever asked for it or expected it.. they just jumped out from behind a rock and released it in a patch. Which immediately took economic and storage pressures off of players to collect and manage storage for multiples of CM items.

Edited by Andryah

/discuss? OK. I think it's a bad idea, because the main point about legacy gear is that it is legacy bound. We don't really care what it looks like, because the only interesting thing about its appearance is that shield on the inventory icon.

CM gear is in Collections because it has "real world" value - you pay real money (in theory, practice suggests otherwise(1)) for CCs and they let you buy these items, and the Collections system lets you benefit from that purchase by making more, but those extra copies are only useful for the character who makes them.

Legacy gear is NOT bought in real money. You gain it from missions, from levelling up in certain ways, or by paying in-game currency of some kind (ex: the Adaptive Gear Vendor on the Fleet). The special benefit is that you can put mods in it and move around this piece of ready-set-up gear to the character who needs it. Do you think it's a good idea to be able to claim unlimited copies of that? Even if you don't allow the unlock account-wide, the "bound to character" thing of CM gear is not applicable.

It's a form of rationing.

I think you missed some of my intent, so maybe I should have been more clear. All legacy gear appearances are unique, and it is very much part of the armors that people want to collect for their characters (in addition to being legacy type).

My idea of adding it to the collection system is not to have us pay for it in any way. From the collection tab (once the armor is collected initially), then any character on that server can retrieve a copy of the legacy armor. Why, you ask? Well, as it stands right now, I have 3 solid banks with 6 tabs each filled with single copies of unique legacy gear, and I don't even have all the ones that are currently available in the game. Asking the players to store that many items is a bit ridiculous. The reason the devs added the collection system in the first place was to reduce needless clutter and database bloat for that very specific reason. It's time they expand upon its initial design.

Sigh.... first.. why start the post with an ad hominem false premise attack on the studio team? "(Which is probably 3/4 of the dev team)" What purpose does that serve in the context of your want/need? You immediately undercut the studio taking your request seriously.

Second ----> Suggestion Forum

Third....there is no compelling reason to add legacy bound gear to Collections. They are not sourced by the CM, AND you can already freely move them around in your legacy.

Besides... Collections is an Account Wide feature, not a legacy feature.

There was in fact never a compelling reason to ever introduce the Collections system, but it was a very nice QoL addition for players who use multiples of the same gear from CM sources. I don't believe we ever asked for it or expected it.. they just jumped out from behind a rock and released it in a patch. Which immediately took economic and storage pressures off of players to collect and manage storage for multiples of CM items.

I think you sort of answered your own critical questioning of the system with the last sentence. Also, see my above post as to why it's needed.

Edited by Darkside

That would be a very big qol improvement for me. I too have multiple alts chock full of legacy gear for outfit creation, but they are underutilized. When mixing and matching an outfit it is much easier to check items in collections than to log on and off multiple characters until I find the right look.

I feel ya OP. It's a storage issue. My cargo hold is FULL of Legacy armor from the Alliance crates and GC boxes, but I'm a big armor hoarder. Like most hoarders, I yearn for a more efficient way to store all my stuff (that I'll probably never use). However I don't like the idea of having to pay CC's to use a piece of Legacy gear to transfer mods, for example. I want to see more bays available for my cargo hold. I have no problem paying millions for storage space.

I'm currently going about trying to collect all the Alliance Crate Legacy Bound Items on one character (only a few complete sets) and while I've broken up a few of the sets to reuse pieces (I try to keep the doubles of the pieces I'll know I'll want to use again, like Arkanian Inquisitor's Lower Robe is tied with Revan's Robes for my favorite robe leggings), this may hamper their plans for you to use the extra cargo hold feature.

Also, it's Legacy Bound, so you can always transfer them about easily, so I'm not so sure it's really that needed. Do you really need that many multiple copies of legacy gear?

I feel ya OP. It's a storage issue. My cargo hold is FULL of Legacy armor from the Alliance crates and GC boxes, but I'm a big armor hoarder. Like most hoarders, I yearn for a more efficient way to store all my stuff (that I'll probably never use). However I don't like the idea of having to pay CC's to use a piece of Legacy gear to transfer mods, for example. I want to see more bays available for my cargo hold. I have no problem paying millions for storage space.

I wouldn't want them to charge CC at all. Imagine it working as being able to collect it from the system like you had spent CC to account unlock it. The system would make it easier to store and have in one spot.

I'm currently going about trying to collect all the Alliance Crate Legacy Bound Items on one character (only a few complete sets) and while I've broken up a few of the sets to reuse pieces (I try to keep the doubles of the pieces I'll know I'll want to use again, like Arkanian Inquisitor's Lower Robe is tied with Revan's Robes for my favorite robe leggings), this may hamper their plans for you to use the extra cargo hold feature.

Also, it's Legacy Bound, so you can always transfer them about easily, so I'm not so sure it's really that needed. Do you really need that many multiple copies of legacy gear?

I don't have multiple copies of legacy gear, but rather a single copy of each unique armor/ weapon appearance that are available, and I don't even have them all yet. Also, having to store items across multiple toons, and then sort through a potentially ton of characters just to find those items is sort of a needless design. Especially when there is framework already in place to support retrieving items from a single source.

OK, I get it. People want to be able to claim copies of the LOOK of the armour, not the legacy-ness of it. (And yeah, some of it looks pretty nice, but the point of nice-looking legacy gear is that it's *legacy-bound*, not that it's nice-looking.

So if there was a corner of the Collections for legacy sets that would drop fixed-at-zero-stats / marked-as-outfit-only copies of the *appearance*, would that help the look-seekers' problem? (It totally avoids the problem of being able to spawn unlimited quantities of legacy-bound gear.)

Alternative version of the question: Are you looking for a way to claim the legacy-bound aspect or the nice-looking aspect?

Start a new character, call it "Legacy Storage", send your extra legacy armour to it to store, problem solved.

Added bonus, you know which character has the legacy armour.

Added bonus part two, no bugs are introduced by tweaking the system.

Added bonus part three, no time or money is wasted fixing something that doesn't need fixed.

Edited by CrazyCT

Start a new character, call it "Legacy Storage", send your extra legacy armour to it to store, problem solved.

Added bonus part three, no time or money is wasted fixing something that doesn't need fixed.

Only trouble with this is you can only try on outfits with that toon. And it's not a "fix", it's an enhancement. And it says alot that you of all people know to expect bugs whenever Bioware tinkers with something. :rolleyes:

The problem with that, is that it would take a minimum of 3+ characters just store what is currently in the game. For instance, I currently have half to maybe three fourths of the sets currently in the game and it already fills 3 banks.

Dear Cartel Market Team (Which is probably 3/4 of the dev team)

Can you please take a short break from adding non-stop cartel items, and add all legacy armor/weapons to the collection system? Give it its own sub-tab in the collection system. And once someone unlocks the armor/weapon in collections, then allow the player to retrieve the armor/weapon from the collection system like normal, but with the armor/weapon still being the normal legacy type.

This minor addition would clear countless bank space for thousands of players, in addition to making things a lot easier on the database hamster.

Please consider it.

/discuss

Yes please add this. And also add a tab so I don't need to collect 55 mail per new character. And I would also like to have the DVL exp bonus armor added too k thanks! :)

The problem with that, is that it would take a minimum of 3+ characters just store what is currently in the game. For instance, I currently have half to maybe three fourths of the sets currently in the game and it already fills 3 banks.

OK, since you need led by the hand here - Start THREE new characters, call them "Legacy Storage'One", "Legacy Storage'Two" and "Legacy Storage'Three". Follow the rest of the guide.

If you are holding on to wrist and belt armour as well, then I have no sympathy for you. Even about 80% of the boots can be discarded, too. Adapting the game because you have a problem hoarding pointless things would be foolish.

I really like having the option to sell the unwanted pieces to vendors. That option would be removed if the gear was part of Collections, right?

Depends. If you hadn't put that particular piece in Collections, then of course you could sell it. (Even if you had earlier put another example of the same piece in. So I get a Remnant Arkanian Trooper Boots and put them in Collections. That one I probably shouldn't be able to *sell*. But the next Remnant Arkanian Trooper Boots that I get from an Alliance crate, I can.)

And of course the copies that you would claim from Collections are:

* Not available for reverse engineering, not even just for mats(1).

* Not available for sale to vendors.

* Character-bound.

On reflecting, the only interesting restriction in all this is that copies claimed from Collections should be character-bound rather than legacy-bound.

So, sure, why not? Especially for the Alliance crate sets, which drop in unreasonable quantities. Ones that drop from Ops bosses, for example (assuming that still exists) probably should not, although one might be tempted by the example of Guild Wars 2, where if you get an interesting armour or weapon look somewhere, like, say, the Mistward armour (the canonical armour for the Heart of Thorns Revenant class), then you can apply that look to the gear of any character who can use the underlying gear type (i.e. any sword for a sword skin, any heavy armour for the Mistward set because it's a heavy armour set, etc.), even if the character is only level 2. (The character who finally unlocks each piece of Mistward doesn't have to be a Revenant, nor even a heavy-armour user, but must be level 80. It looks a little daunting at first, but in fact simply playing through Heart of Thorns will get you most of the "hard" parts, except the Karka Queen. The pieces of the set are, fortunately, account-bound/soulbound-on-equip(2), so you can pass them to your Revenant.)

(1) About three years back, there was briefly a CM item that you could RE for mats, even if the copy you were REing was one you had claimed from Collections. Emphasis on "briefly", of course.

(2) This bind type does not exist in SWTOR. The item is bound to your account, so cannot be traded to other players, but becomes "soulbound" (bound to character) if a character equips it. In SWTOR it would be BtLBoE, Bound to Legacy, Binds on Equip, probably shortened BLE.

OK, since you need led by the hand here - Start THREE new characters, call them "Legacy Storage'One", "Legacy Storage'Two" and "Legacy Storage'Three". Follow the rest of the guide.

If you are holding on to wrist and belt armour as well, then I have no sympathy for you. Even about 80% of the boots can be discarded, too. Adapting the game because you have a problem hoarding pointless things would be foolish.

So I think you must be a little slow, so let me explain a little. First, you are working on the assumption that people will have three plus character slots to make storage toons to begin with. Which in and of itself is a big hindrance. Then you proceed to advocate for anti-QoL improvements for all, by suggesting what you have. Having to deal with things like making additional characters just for storage, Logging into different characters to check/retrieve various armor/weapon pieces, Mailing and transferring around said pieces of armor to characters if trying to create various looks, Having to transfer those items back to a storage toon afterwards, Having to go through extra steps to check certain looks on different characters.

Plus all of that has even more of an impact on the servers/database. Having to store those multiple characters and bank tabs across thousands of accounts takes up needless resource space. Then the impact of having to load all of those items across thousands of accounts at various times takes up plenty of system resources, also needless.

What I'm advocating is a Quality of Life improvement that would help players with inventory management, and Bioware with a reduction of resource usage. Why you would be against that is beyond me, but hey, if you like having to jump through 40 extra hoops to get around poor design, then more power to you.

So I think you must be a little slow, so let me explain a little. First, you are working on the assumption that people will have three plus character slots to make storage toons to begin with. Which in and of itself is a big hindrance.

Except it's nothing like you are portraying it here. You are just making conflated statements to fit your personal narrative.

What the person responding to you was doing was offering working alternatives to sitting you your thumbs waiting for the studio to break precedent on Legacy items and adding them to collections, free of charge as you stated, so you personally have your wants and needs met for your particular hesitation to overcome any limitations offered by an MMO.

We would all like unlimited everything for free in an MMO. But most of us know that it A) won't ever happen. and B) it would simply make the average player bored sooner and quicker with the game.

Then you proceed to advocate for anti-QoL improvements for all, by suggesting what you have. Having to deal with things like making additional characters just for storage, Logging into different characters to check/retrieve various armor/weapon pieces, Mailing and transferring around said pieces of armor to characters if trying to create various looks, Having to transfer those items back to a storage toon afterwards, Having to go through extra steps to check certain looks on different characters.

He was not advocating against QoL, simply giving viable work arounds to the great tragedy that seems to befall you because you do not want to bother gathering and managing inventory.

Anyone interested in serving their own interests can and will find ways to overcome any and every challenge in an MMO. People have been doing so for decades now.

Personally, I do have an alt that is strictly for holding and managing BoL items acquired in game play. Why? Because it makes sense to organize and consolidate items of like nature together. I have been doing this for years now with CM gear (because I do collect a copy of just about everything, but do not necessarily equip it to drive it into collections until I actually first need to use it) .... so extending it to BoL gear as the game releases more of said gear into the game is a simple and logical next step to take care of my personal interests in game play, without affecting anyone else or requiring changes by the studio while I sit on my thumb and wait.

And your claim that players have a burden if they commit any of their characters to the role of storage mule is absurd. Most players have plenty of extra character slots either already unlocked, or available to unlock if they need them. I have 6 GTN centric characters on one server, and 1 each on two other servers. They are all level 50 or above, because I have plenty of alts in game and have for years and I cannot play them all at once, so I designate them to secondary functional rules to support my legacy rather then just let them sit idle. So using some of these in the role of GTN commerce characters, CM item storage characters, Legacy Gear characters, etc... is actually nothing more then making good use of my characters over time.

I understand what you want. I also understand that what you want is easily managed around by any player interested in actually taking care of their own best interests. Alt characters (which most players have already in abundance) is an easy and effective way to go about it. I'm fine with you asking for what you want, but when you resort to pejoratives against the studio and any player that sees things even remotely different then you do... makes you "appear" to be needy and selfish. I'm not saying that you are, only that your approach in discussing the topic comes across that way.

And I'm sorry.. but moving some inventory around so various characters can "try on fashion" "in bulk" is not hard either, if you want to do it. Personally, I use one tab in my legacy vault as a transition page for this sort of thing. In one or two minutes I can log on to storage characters and move a range of possible non Collections items into one place to try out by another character. It works really well and does not take much time at all, if you are even remotely organized in how you store things. Now.. if you are completely haphazard about managing inventory across your legacy.. yeah.. you may find it challenging. But it is a challenge easily overcome if you care to apply yourself to the challenge.

Edited by Andryah