GSF School YouTube Channel

caederon

Hello, you may remember me from such GSF School materials as

, Despon's Guides, or 'those times on JC when I hung out answering questions for hours.'

I'm here today to offer you a new and exciting opportunity to learn things you may already know. I'm also here to offer new players an introduction to important GSF concepts brought to life through the magic of motion pictures:

GSF School on YouTube

We currently feature the following courses:

Basic Training - Essential concepts and tips for the new pilot

The Breakdown - Detailed analysis from veteran pilots of one full match at a time

Stock Ship - No gear, all action. What you can do when your ships are new.

Raw Matches - Unedited match recordings, some of which later feature on The Breakdown

So... This Happened - Sometimes, these things happen.

... and more are on the way.

User response and my available free-time will dictate how much content gets put up, but I would like to provide enough lessons that new players can sufficiently immerse themselves in the skills needed to compete and more advanced pilots can find something to appreciate as well.

If you are new to the game, or know someone who is, this channel is for you.

- Despon

Edited by caederon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really great idea. I'll definitely be checking them out. You should see if you can get the devs to mention it in one of their community content segments of a livestream. This would be a perfect way to help build GSF awareness and help more people get into it.

This is great, I will try to direct some new players to your videos.. So far I have just told them to join gsf channel and check stasie's guide as it has lots of useable builds and links to other guides, but it may be overwhelming amount of info for a new player.

Thanks for the support! It's appreciated.

We've started a new feature at GSF School called

, which does not feature me having a nervous breakdown, but who knows. Maybe eventually! Currently, it features a detailed moment-by-moment analysis of a full single match. Mikaboshi and Mical perform an autopsy on a fairly horrific scout match I flew which has many events that are good for teaching purposes.

Hope people find it useful!

- Despon

So much for retiring... ho hum :rolleyes: But if it means helping the community why not? We need to work on the awkward intros (and someone needs to work on the retros -- hint: I'm not the only one :p)

Seriously though, hope this gives motivation to all pilots! There are some criticisms that apply to my own flying too.

- Mical

Thanks for the support! It's appreciated.

We've started a new feature at GSF School called

, which does not feature me having a nervous breakdown, but who knows. Maybe eventually! Currently, it features a detailed moment-by-moment analysis of a full single match. Mikaboshi and Mical perform an autopsy on a fairly horrific scout match I flew which has many events that are good for teaching purposes.

Hope people find it useful!

- Despon

WOW!

That video was fantastic! If you guys need help with this stuff let me know because I can't make videos like that.

Those replays after certain things just blew me away.

Also that intro made me laugh so damn much.

Well, your mind may change a little bit after seeing this:

...as I don't think I can be accused of either defense or smart flying in this one! My default state is 'must be shooting things constantly' and I tend to play a style reflective of that. Worked out ok this time, though. This sort of match is mentally taxing if you're looking to pressure offensively.

- Despon

You said something related to laying a trap for the enemy who will pick up the DO off the start, and I wonder if that is a tactic you would actually use when in a group? I can't see doing that when solo-queuing.

You said something related to laying a trap for the enemy who will pick up the DO off the start, and I wonder if that is a tactic you would actually use when in a group? I can't see doing that when solo-queuing.

I'll do that while solo if I know I can't get to it first. Get in range and shoot whoever grabs it.

I can't see doing that when solo-queuing.

It doesn't take a coordinated group effort, really. Even if Yui hadn't had Audson distracting me, it would have been a smart play to get in position to drop ion on me as soon as I got that DO.

I'll do that while solo if I know I can't get to it first. Get in range and shoot whoever grabs it.

Absolutely. Let's assume the following situation:

1. You recognize where the DO is
  2. It is on the enemy side of the map
  3. Judging the enemy roster, you see someone that also ought to know where the DO is and will go for it

_

If you're flying a gunship, and don't think you can get there yourself, you should certainly set up to blast whoever gets to the DO. It is like a big red 'Aim Here' beacon. This is always true for the middle-spawns, harder for the ones that spawn closer to the enemy side... but even then you can be sure someone will grab it and set yourself up to fire on them as soon as they appear on radar.

If you're flying a scout, you can likely beat enemy gunships to a DO that is on the enemy side but closer to the middle. The only race you'll lose is to a veteran scout pilot.

It's ultimately about knowing the opposition, or correctly judging their skill. I'll often take risks in getting to a distant DO if I don't know the names on the other team. TDM success is often determined by those who know where to look for Damage Overcharges and consistently get to them.

- Despon

Edited by caederon

New episode of

is up! This time we look at a pretty intense Domination match on Kuat Mesas. Team composition and ways to contribute that don't show up on the scoreboard are primary targets for discussion!

In case any beginners missed it, I also posted a little video on

a few days ago.

We have plenty of content lined up for production into next year, aimed at beginners and advanced players as well. Thanks to those of you already subscribing! Please spread the word particularly to beginning players that this resource is around to help them learn the game.

- Despon

Truly great stuff. Breakdown# 3 was such an excellent match to dissect: there was a ton of quality material in there between the way the game developed, the sub-optimal team comp, the off-node attack, and a lot more. Viewers are even treated to a cameo (kameo?) by the King himself.

Run hydrospanner next time. Just for lulz.

So I have some quibbles with the end of match analysis for breakdown 2 with regard to noobs and ship choice for them.

In a really raw T1 scout, the survival contribution of evasion is pretty small. You need to sink about 7k worth of req into the ship before evasion starts to make up for the disadvantage of inherent flimsiness of shield and hull. A trivial amount of ship req for an experienced pilot, but potentially still 10 or more matches if flying like a noob even with the GSF mission rewards factored in.

Flown properly, it is still more survivable than a raw T1 strike, but that survivability comes from boost efficiency and booster recharge. The problem with boost derived survivability is that it's a lot more skill dependent than what comes from passive evasion (and really scouts don't turn into survival champs against gunships gear-wise until you've gotten the basics of active evasion down).

In terms of team play, what you want from a new player in TDM is for them to limit their net score to 3 or fewer deaths in the other team's favor. It's pretty reasonable to do that in either of the starter ships with no upgrades, but it requires more tactical planning than charging straight in with guns blazing as noobs usually do.

So this leads to a suggestion:

Have a breakdown episode about staying alive in the stock starter ships. Half of the match in each starter ship maybe? Ideally a TDM match with a fair mix of scouts, gunships, and bombers as each ship class presents somewhat different threats that a new pilot needs to learn to deal with.

If you feel ambitious maybe even a "Survival in GSF" series for all of the basic ship classes. New players seem to pretty universally hate dying quickly with no idea of how to prevent it.

Incidentally, Ramalina's rating for the GSF school channel:

:sy_lightside: :sy_lightside: :sy_lightside: :sy_lightside: :sy_lightside:

Great content and great presentation.

If you feel ambitious maybe even a "Survival in GSF" series for all of the basic ship classes. New players seem to pretty universally hate dying quickly with no idea of how to prevent it.

Funny you should ask for that. What if I recently happened to fly fifty matches in pure, completely unaltered (not even changing out the crew) stock ships... and happened to record the matches... and happened to plan a series of videos based on this experience...

- Despon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3xOgg9mtk

Nice video TBQH we woulda creamed u harder but I was distracted the entire game talking in whispers still had the best score. yui played a useless bomber and racked up medals because he has a crush on Lixarcs

concentrated fire is OK anyone that needs to wingman cant aim TBQH. u already have 10% boost from tt why u need more?? only if shooting DF does wingman matter

Edited by Krixarcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3xOgg9mtk

Nice video TBQH we woulda creamed u harder but I was distracted the entire game talking in whispers still had the best score. yui played a useless bomber and racked up medals because he has a crush on Lixarcs

concentrated fire is OK anyone that needs to wingman cant aim TBQH. u already have 10% boost from tt why u need more?? only if shooting DF does wingman matter

WOW that's a lot of power die. You might want to stick to barrel roll, man.

Funny you should ask for that. What if I recently happened to fly fifty matches in pure, completely unaltered (not even changing out the crew) stock ships... and happened to record the matches... and happened to plan a series of videos based on this experience...

- Despon

If it's like the rest of the channel's content that would happen to be awesome. :)